Goodbye Lagshield, We Won't Miss You

63 replies to this topic

#1 KingNobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

This is a banner day for MWO, 'mechs now have their hitboxes in approximately the right place. Now terrible pilots have no excuse when a light rips them apart. And, as I predicted, lights are still dancing on the face of assaults and slow heavies.

As a light pilot, I am thrilled to see this, as our piloting skills won't be attributed to the lagshield, and we won't hear anymore boohoohoo about how we're all cheaters. The blessed silence of pilots in their cored Atlai and Stalkers is the sweetest music that could possibly accompany this game.

Thank you PGI for your timely elimination of the lagshield, and thank you once again for creating this fantastic game.

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Now we just need collisions to really weed out the bad light pilots.

#3 yashmack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 802 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

is it really that much of a difference now??
I havent been able to log in since the patch

#4 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

Uh huh, personally i've been seeing light mech dying pretty much instantly if they try to dance around flagrantly, assuming the assaults have the braincells to aim.

A frustrating amount don't.

The only time lights get kills on good assaults [idiots who try to lrm boat poorly or cannot hit the broadside of a union class dropship are of course easy kills no matter how damaged they are] is once said assault is already cherry red CT after being mauled to mostly to death by another assault, and a smart light who took cover from the fighting runs along and picks him off.

Don't assume that the stupidity of the enemy is always proof of skill on your own part.

Edited by QuantumButler, 23 January 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#5 Kousagi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Lagshield is not gone just yet. Its still very much there, its just with the fix the engine they did reduced it. So lights still have the advantage of lag shield, its just the effects of it are less.

Edited by Kousagi, 23 January 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#6 bug3at3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

It's better, still a little ways to go but progress is always nice.

#7 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

View PostKousagi, on 23 January 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

Lagshield is not gone just yet. Its still very much there, its just with the fix the engine they did it has been reduced. So lights still have the advantage of lag shield, its just the effects of it are less.

Uh, I can now aim lasers directly at a light mech moving at high speed and do most of their damage to them, so even if there is some lagshielding left, lights still drop like flies.

#8 Kousagi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostQuantumButler, on 23 January 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

Uh, I can now aim lasers directly at a light mech moving at high speed and do most of their damage to them, so even if there is some lagshielding left, lights still drop like flies.

Higher ping players will notice it more. Did a few tests of it myself. inflated Ping to about 300, and a cent going about 80-90 had a lag shield on it, Had to aim at its arms to hit the CT so. Lower ping players will not see it as much, if they even notice it at all. Once the state rewind is it, it will be mostly out of the game so.

#9 Darius359au

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I dont mind being beaten by a better pilot in a light mech But there's a good chance to seriously damage him now before that happens!
Now we'll be able to see who the good light mech drivers are which is'nt a bad thing!

#10 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

huge improvement. there is still the occasional mech that still carry the lagshield. but thats so much better than every mech having it

#11 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

View Postyashmack, on 23 January 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

is it really that much of a difference now??
I havent been able to log in since the patch

Noticeably much better.

For me it's getting close to what you can see in this video. (where as before it was lololol)

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1779394

#12 Demoned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 670 posts
  • Locationi Died went to heaven, then died again now I'm in Equestria

oh god yes its there, my jenner got chewed out by a hvy and assault team. :)
codos to them i was just trying to troll and got flattened for the effort lol

i do prefer meds and hvys myself, so my skill in lights is lacking,
but it is nice to see lights can be hit easier now ^_^

#13 Vite Ramen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 151 posts

As a Cicada player, I've definitely noticed the netcode improvements. I've been trying to dodge ballistics left and right, but a lot more of it hits me than it used to. This is great, lights won't be able to run around with impunity anymore. Their role of scouting/flanking/skirmishing (and attacking at proper opportunities rather than all the time) should be made more important now that they are actually vulnerable. And I say this as a light lover.

Edited by Llyranor, 23 January 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#14 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

I avarage 90 ping and it is way better for me. I am hitting lights! The best light mech pilots are still hard to hit, and they can still be effective. As they should be.

The funny thing is seeing so many people running lights tonight. Many trying out the spider trial, and some trying to level up Death's Smell. Lights everywhere! The biggest problem is people exited about killing lights are running off chasing them like noobs. It was kinda funny.

Good stuff.

#15 SinnerX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

An amazing improvement. I love seeing lights now, they're basically free kills.

#16 Hillslam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

before 3 lights would give me problems in my Atlas.2 or fewer were no sweat, lagshield or no.

now, ...wow feels like CB again: I just had a couple games where i wiped raven/mando hordes. looks like 4 or more is the new minimum for me to even break a sweat.

thx pgi. lot of light pilots getting schooled around the servers tonight.

wonderful to see lights put to their proper roles again, akin the Destroyers/Frigates role in naval combat. And not in the battleline with the battleships like they were.

role warfare. welcome back. we missed you.

Edited by Hillslam, 23 January 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#17 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Never really had a problem dealing with lagshield against lights...just lead the targets a bit. But it does seem like I'm seeing less "warping" on lights...which is a good thing...especially when swarmed by the little asssclowns.

#18 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

So, I can return to playing my AC20 raven 4x secure in the knowledge that I can f*** up the other side's ECM raven? Sweetness.

#19 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

I kinda miss it. My lights are all Spiders. Without lagshield, they're absolutely worthless.

#20 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

I noticed it on a raven tonight that was it. Of course I only got into it with one Raven. But with that being said I did notice an improvement.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users