Please Remove Obstacles (Boulders Sticking Out Everywhere, Low Tiny Buildings, Icebergs And Tow Cars Away)

83 replies to this topic

#1 Mekwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

Many of the maps (frozen city night, canyon network, river city and others to a lesser extent such as forest colony) are ruined in my opinion by hundreds of low obstacles everywhere such as boulders sticking out everywhere along the side of the canyon, cars left on the streets, fences, buildings with protruding columns stuck to the outside walls that look like legs, small buildings attached to the outside of large buildings with lights on top, land icebergs and too many low small buildings (one story or less than one story).

I believe it is ruining gameplay when using torso twist properly or reversing you are constantly getting stuck on the obstacles in the middle of combat and there is no reverse view to see them).
Leading to more problems with people complaining about alpha strikes when you get stuck (hence ghost heat to fix it etc).

I think gameplay enjoyment could be increase a lot simply by removing a lot of these obstacles and wouldn't take much work and bring out the true potential of some of the earlier maps.

New maps such as crimson straight are much better but I wish the older maps could be fixed.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Mekwarrior, 22 June 2014 - 11:17 PM.

#2 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:19 PM

Make every map completely flat, while you're at it.

Some maps need a hitbox pass, tourmaline and HPG notably, but imo that's it.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

Blame the stupidly overpunitive slope movement system.

http://mwomercs.com/...ement-behavior/

#4 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:12 AM

An terrain analyzer view would be cool :D . Would fix some of these problems. Make anything you cant walk over show up in red. slower the walk the darker the color or something.

#5 Torgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:32 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 23 June 2014 - 12:12 AM, said:

An terrain analyzer view would be cool :D . Would fix some of these problems. Make anything you cant walk over show up in red. slower the walk the darker the color or something.

That module would cost more than 9000 MC.

Edited by Torgun, 23 June 2014 - 12:33 AM.

#6 Jin Ma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:38 AM

the cars have no hitboxes

#7 Mekwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:47 AM

I just threw that in there too because they don't have any purpose but mainly it's the boulders sticking out from the edges in canyon network and the ice boulders and very low buildings in frozen city. Plus the fences and buildings with lots of bits sticking out in river city.

They could just go around in the 3d software and delete a lot of these obstacles.

They have done better with crimson strait.

Edited by Mekwarrior, 23 June 2014 - 12:50 AM.

#8 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:50 AM

View PostMekwarrior, on 23 June 2014 - 12:47 AM, said:

I just threw that in there too because they don't have any purpose but mainly it's the boulders sticking out from the edges in canyon network and the ice boulders and very low buildings in frozen city. Plus the fences and buildings with lots of bits sticking out in river city.

They could just go around in the 3d software and delete a lot of these obstacles.

It's called immersion :D

#9 Mekwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:53 AM

Yeah when you get immersed in enemy fire when you get stuck on an indestructible boulder or piece of ice that hasn't been destroyed in 10,000 battles over the same ground. :D

#10 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:00 AM

The "obstacle" problem is older as this hill climb stuff...
See those pipes at caustic . since my very first battle at caustic valley i did hate them....starting in the water -> and you want to move directly to the caldera - you have only 2 options....climb (and move through the rafinery) or take the long route - half way in the open.
Because you can't climb that pipes (they are hardly ankle hight)
same for "River City" ok here its the hill climb stuff.... at the starting point in the lower city there is a start position where you accelerate - and nothing happens

(and consider that happens to you in combat....accelerate - and nothing happens - you stood there for almost 1-2seconds when you realize it fast and know where to turn to get your Mech moving again.

#11 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:04 AM

Wait... are you talking stuck as in "I'm stuck for the rest of the match" or as in "I bumped into something"?
If it's the first one report it. I did with a spot on Crimson and it was fixed straight away.
If it's the second one....so what? :D

#12 Mekwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:05 AM

No I'm talking about getting stuck for a few seconds in the middle of combat and getting heavily damaged or destroyed in those few seconds.

It might not bother other players who drive their mech more like a stug but I tend to use the torso twist a lot and reverse also.

But on many maps you just can't, unless you want to constantly get stuck on things.

Edited by Mekwarrior, 23 June 2014 - 01:07 AM.

#13 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:06 AM

Yep, this can be hair-tearingly frustrating. And I have so little hair left that I only tear it under extreme provocation.

Here's what usually happens to me: Poke nose of mech round corner. Discover five Timberwolves (wolfs?) looking at me from underneath their little red triangles. Throw mech into reverse. Get stuck on boulder. Explode.

#14 Mekwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:10 AM

Exactly. Or getting stuck while walking one direction and firing sideways using torso twist.

#15 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:16 AM

I'm really not understanding this line of thinking. You want obstacles removed because they're obstacles... :D

#16 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:27 AM

View PostWolfways, on 23 June 2014 - 01:16 AM, said:

I'm really not understanding this line of thinking. You want obstacles removed because they're obstacles... :D

More that some obstacles don't look big enough to actually be obstacles at all, but can still stop a mech dead in it's tracks. Those wretched pipes on Caustic are a good example.

#17 Mekwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:45 AM

View PostWolfways, on 23 June 2014 - 01:16 AM, said:

Yes because usually with tanks there is a driver and a gun firer so because you do both it would be nice if it wasn't too much to do at once. There aren't just a few obstacles but there is a massive amount of them everywhere and on narrow tracks with obstacles sticking out from the walls/sides everywhere.

It would be easy for them just to delete them :D

I would be surprised to hear if anyone is using full torso twist and reverse while moving in combat and not getting stuck on boulders or other obstacles and protruding things.

It is mostly a problem with the older maps.

Edited by Mekwarrior, 23 June 2014 - 02:01 AM.

#18 Mavairo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

It's strange how our mechs have ankles, toes and knees, and yet they can't step over what would be for them, gravel stones...

#19 Ward Serpentine

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 78 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

Right, I mean a 55 ton mech gets stuck on a small boulder? What is it made out of, unobtanium???

Destructible objects is what we need.

Edited by Ward Serpentine, 21 July 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#20 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

Yes... Cause War zones are such uncluttered places! :)

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users