Hard Hitting Trebuchet Loadouts

44 replies to this topic

#1 Lennex

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

I've really taken a liking to the latest mech in the stable, in fact I've pretty much used it exclusively since patch. I've been doing an average of 400-500 damage a match and collecting 2+ kills per match and as many assists as I can.

TBT-7M

This is my sniper mech that doesn't do too bad when I get in close. Not a lot of armor, but dang is it maneuverable. Very quick at 103kph for a medium without speed tweak. I've done pop tarting to brawling, to just sniping. Its quick enough to avoid missiles and get out of danger in a hurry. Probably my favorite mech in my stables.

TBT-5J

still a work in progress. It's been getting me some heavy damage and kills, but the heat efficiency for sustained fire isn't pretty. I originally ran artemis, but exchanged it for another DBL sink just to help out with the heat issues. Slowest mech for the Trebuchet I've built, and the armor isn't great. The load out seems to love Alpine or Forest.

TBT-3C

this is my brawler, and becoming a ton of fun to play with. no jump jets, which does make me cry a little as thats the best part of this mech... speed and jump. This one is still quick though at 97kph. The heat disipation is great, even in the hottest gun fights. I group the left and right Mpulses into their own groups to help with heat efficiency. Constantly a 400+ damage performer. I usually use it for flanking the enemy teams big guns. They never see me coming... and rarely can they track me quick enough to get a bead on me.

The Trebuchet could possibly be the underdog mech right now... I rarely see others play it, and I don't know why. It moves like a light, hits like a heavy. I never thought I would like it, but I love it now. Even compared to my SP and 9M.

#2 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Really? Trebuchets are just about all I see these days. It's like it replaced the Hunchback as the "mech de jour". I always end up brawling those damn things.

#3 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Good info.
I just ground through the basic tier in a TBT-7K. It doesn't have enough missile tubes to make dual SRM6's worth it so I went with dual ac/2's. Meh. It sounds like the other variants might suit me better. Oh well, if I end up grinding in a mech I don't like, at least I did it first and got it over with.

I guess you feel that the XL's don't make the mech too fragile?

#4 Kaarde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationState of confusion

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I kept getting hosed out of matches through loosing a torso so I dumped the xl and dropped an equivelant standard into the mech. It cost me my LRM rack to do so, but I wasn't having much luck using it anyway. Survivability has gone up quite a bit with no loss of speed.

Currently I'm running a 7M with three med lasers, two srm 6s and 1 srm 4.
Armor is maxxed except in the legs, two tons of ammo, ams, endo and double heatsinks.

The heat isn't too bad if I ration my shots. I was considering dropping the srm 4 for artemis and a bap.
Also, I'm looking for possible ways to put some long range back into the build.

Edited by Kaarde, 23 February 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#5 torgian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 283 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

My Trebuchet (i forget the varient) surprised me. ER PPC in the left arm with mediums taking the rest of the energy slots (4 total) and an srm 6. DHS, endo, ferro fibrous. 5 JJs. I've found this mech to be quite useful. With the stock 250 engine, it's quick and survivable and makes a good skirmisher.

#6 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

i really like your 7m original poster, i have changed my loadout to something similar, only thing different is i use an xl300 and add additional streak ammo

#7 Lennex

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

I don't find the XL's too squishy at all, the whole mech is squishy, especially since I'm not running full armor on any variant. I usually find I'm dying by getting CT'd. The high speed and maneuverability given to this mech make it really easy to avoid danger or get the damage spread out over a larger area. I find my survivability is actually longer/better than my previous primary mech, the AWS-9M.

I've only bit off more than I can chew a couple of times... the high speed makes me think I can keep up with the lights in duel...but then I get Raven/Jenner ***** and die a fiery death.

#8 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

View PostLennex, on 23 February 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

TBT-7M

This is my sniper mech that doesn't do too bad when I get in close. Not a lot of armor, but dang is it maneuverable. Very quick at 103kph for a medium without speed tweak. I've done pop tarting to brawling, to just sniping. Its quick enough to avoid missiles and get out of danger in a hurry. Probably my favorite mech in my stables.

Just noticed you've got 14 free slots available. You could upgrade to FF armor, or are you staying with standard for future flexibility?

#9 KeefCheef

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 42 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

View Postknnniggett, on 23 February 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

Good info.
I just ground through the basic tier in a TBT-7K. It doesn't have enough missile tubes to make dual SRM6's worth it so I went with dual ac/2's. Meh. It sounds like the other variants might suit me better. Oh well, if I end up grinding in a mech I don't like, at least I did it first and got it over with.

I use 2 SSRM2's (which will all come out in one flight due to the way launchers work) with 2 MPLs and an AC10. AC10 is the same tonnage as 2 AC2's but hits a lot harder. You sacrifice some long range capability but you can take more advantage of your speed with a higher alpha. I run an XL300 and rarely die from side torso hits. Most people don't focus your sides like a hunchback, and the extra speed is worth it.

#10 rdelta78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

I run Тrebushet 5J with standard engine 250, Double HS, Endo Steel, ERPPC, LL and ML. It's pretty hot build. My mech is suited for long to medium distances. It's long range support, skirmisher and striker type and I'm pretty successful with it.

Note: The closer I get to my target, the more heat the mech produces, so close quarters combat is not very good for this mech.

#11 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

I was playing around in the mechlab, and this is what I came up with for a high speed 3C. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...699d69d8548147a

#12 Wanderfalke NK

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

I have a similar built, but with a 365xl, giving it more firepower.

Thats my most rewarding TBT built so far, with the 3m and Elite to the max.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7d206c943b2e999
It combines a good speed with agility and a strong punch, while making your heat realy easy to manage.

Edited by Wanderfalke NK, 02 March 2013 - 07:07 AM.

#13 Hawks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationFalling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

I love the Trebs - I have them all except the N. They're just so versatile, there's so much you can do with them.

My current favourite is the K:

XL250
14x DHS
Endo-steel
2x PPC
2x SSRM (1t ammo)
2x MG (for the fun of it, 1t ammo)
AMS (1t ammo)

Fast skirmisher, but with some infighting potential.

#14 Marchant Consadine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

I bought 7K for my third Treb and after trying and failing with several loadout this is what I came up with.

TBT-7K

(add armor for the rest of weight, I stripped shield arm and legs to 12 and 33)

First thing you'll notice is SRM6s on two tube launcher. My thoughts exactly untill I tried it. Because the missiles are hand mounted you can easily adjust your aim between salvos to account for lag which means this is a sick light hunter. Each salco does 10 damage and on top of that you have the LBX. Most good light pilots will run away. Rest will die very quickly. Lasers are completely secondary on this build.

LBX is actually great in this build because of the synergy with the SRMs. I tried with AC10 but lag shield makes it useless against lights if you live in europe (like me) and against hevier mechs you'll usually do hit and runs close enough to get most of the pellets to one location.

I will propably change to AC10 if they get the lagshield to manageable levels again (last patch brought it back for me).

#15 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Good info.

I almost feel like XLs are mandatory, otherwise you sacrifice too much speed or equipment weight. I only have fragility problems when I try to brawl, which most mediums are not made for. Can they? Yeah, but it's like cutting a piece of bread off the loaf with a plastic spoon.

#16 Marchant Consadine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Good info.

When your side torso is gone you will be gone very fast anyways. With XL300 (or larger) you are effectively speed tanking anyway.

I also thought srm6 wouldn't be worth it on 2 missile tubes but after trying it I have to disagree. First salvo is basically aiming aid so you can hit the second or at least the third to any light. Each salvo is still 4 missiles and they will hurt lights. Against slower mechs you can easily put all 3 salvos on same location and I've found that the thunp, thump, thump makes them panic much more effectively than a single thump.

#17 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostTheFlyingScotsman, on 02 March 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

I almost feel like XLs are mandatory, otherwise you sacrifice too much speed or equipment weight. I only have fragility problems when I try to brawl, which most mediums are not made for. Can they? Yeah, but it's like cutting a piece of bread off the loaf with a plastic spoon.

Yeah, I reached the same conclusion after grinding through the basic tier.
Not only did I decide to go with the XL engines, but so far I prefer nothing smaller than a 320XL.
I've tried a few builds with a 300XL, and it just didn't cut it for me. I might revisit the 300XL after I get speed tweak.

I finally found a configuration for the -7K I was happy with. I didn't care at all for dual SRM's in the arms. To each his own I guess. The LBX10 was fun (as always). I even tried dual ac/2's. However I felt like I wasn't doing enough damage fast enough with the autocannons.

I settled on an ERPPC/Large Laser combo. I'll fire the LL and as soon as the reticule turns red I'll let loose the ERPPC. Very effective. If anything gets too close, I'll use the SSRM's.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ecdd105f0977019

EDIT: spelling

Edited by knnniggett, 02 March 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#18 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

View PostPastor Priest, on 02 March 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

I was playing around in the mechlab, and this is what I came up with for a high speed 3C. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...699d69d8548147a

My current 3C is this weapon and engine wise just with srm6 instead of srm4. Also its my fav treb (others are 7M and 4J)

Edited by Johnny Reb, 02 March 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#19 Ubersaurus Rex

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 02 March 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

My current 3C is this weapon and engine wise just with srm6 instead of srm4. Also its my fav treb (others are 7M and 4J)

You should listen to Johnny because his build is not only effective, but it is awesome.

Edited by Ubersaurus Rex, 02 March 2013 - 11:13 PM.

#20 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 02 March 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

I'm guessing you drop a couple of heatsinks to do that. On paper, it looks a bit warm. How does it play?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users