Players Using Hate Speech In Game.

419 replies to this topic

#261 JSparrowist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationBoomer Sooner

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

Forget nerfing ECM... NERF FREE SPEECH NAO PL0X!!!!1!! kthxbai!

#262 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

View PostPirateMk1, on 25 February 2013 - 02:56 AM, said:

If they are that vunerable that being called something foul on the internet while interacting with others in a violent game will cause them harm, they have absolutely no business playing the game in the first place. To put it bluntly they should be in the nut house, because if the internet dont cause them to damage themselves, life most surely will. Your arguement leaves much to be desired, like actual thought. A little goes a long ways. Try it sometime.

It's interesting that you are incapable of seeing the problem. Would you care to elaborate on how you don't find it problematic that you are defending hatespeech?

View PostChrisOrange, on 25 February 2013 - 02:51 AM, said:

If you think MWO is bad then you whiteknights are in for a surprise if you ever step foot into a real online game. Also In before lock.

Also if you ever see "HELLO, MECHFRIENDS!" in a game do not reply if you are so easily offended. You will not like what comes next.

It's interesting that you reply to this thread, yet don't seem to understand what the thread is about. Could you explain your lack of understanding of the problem? Perhaps why you have this desire to perpetuate hatespeech, discrimination and frank representation of taking pride in being what can best be described by the most basic meaning word "dumb"?

View PostJSparrowist, on 25 February 2013 - 03:05 AM, said:

Forget nerfing ECM... NERF FREE SPEECH NAO PL0X!!!!1!! kthxbai!

This has nothing to do with "free speech", if you think so, you're just yet another part of the problem. Again, interesting that you don't even seem to think that it's a problem.

Edited by POWR, 25 February 2013 - 03:10 AM.

#263 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 25 February 2013 - 02:43 AM, said:

We have an inbox?

we need to get you a sig sorted out...

I meant the CR(customer relations team) but for some reason I had a brain fart and remebered it wrong.... and yes a sig I can make it narrower so we can fit both :D

#264 Xinaoen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 382 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

Let's play pretend for a second.

Bob had an abusive mother. If he spoke out of turn, she beat him with a wooden spoon. If he played too loudly, she beat him with a wooden spoon. Sometimes she beat him with a wooden spoon for no reason, except that she'd been drinking.

Fast forward twenty years. Bob is playing an online game, and another player makes an offhand remark about beating someone with a wooden spoon. Bob flies off the handle.

Is that a logical reaction? No. That is, the logic center isn't the part of the brain that responds. Bob doesn't think it over and decide to be offended; he has an emotional reaction. Under the circumstances, I think that the reaction is perfectly reasonable. It's not a logical reaction, but it does make sense.

Calling someone a poopie face is not the same thing as calling someone a n***** or a f*****. These are words that have powerful baggage attached to them. Consider yourself lucky if you can't relate to that. Don't be that a**hole who lives in a world where illogical feelings are invalid. That's as moronic as it is insensitive.

#265 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

Well gotta say this is amazing that the OP could get 13 pages out of his statement, without giving a clue to what was said or the context. 13 pages of people jumping on high horses to say what they will or won't stand for without even knowing what was said that set this off. I've been playing fairly regularly and I've yet to see racial slurs used, and very rarely directed attacks from one player to another. And of those they were attacks based on what happened in game, usually along the lines of 'you f***ing suck' or something similar. Race, religion, or sexual preference I have yet to witness. Yet without knowing what set the OP off specifically people are going nuclear. For all we know someone called him or a teammate an a**. Its also upsetting to hear the people complaining about swear words and not wanting their children to hear it, when they are piloting war machines in futuristic war scenarios, trying to kill the opposing team. You see hands working the controls in the startup, so even a child should realize the mechs are being piloted by other people as you send lasers and missiles at them. Games, like movies, are not just for children anymore, that ended with asteroids and mario brothers. Most games are made for an adult audience and have content that should only be seen by adults. I would never let a child I was responsible for play a game like Grand Theft Auto, where you steal, kill, and even pick up prostitutes, and I would'nt let them play an online game either for the simple reason that you can't control what others say. I don't support hate speech, and if someone uses a racial slur and you report it, good. But sweet lord 13 pages of people arguing over one persons definition of slurs and hate speech without even knowing what was actually said.

#266 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

View PostPihb, on 25 February 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

While i don't condone mistreating homosexuals, transgenders, sheep ******* ect. People are still allowed to hate whatever or whoever they want for whatever reason they deem fit. Also, thank you for bringing your stupid politics into this game, no place is safe from loudmouths on their soap boxes anymore.

Yes, they can hate whoever they please. Just don't do it in a public space. I find it interesting that you would complain about someone bringing politics, as you call it, I would call it modern moral, into "this game", and then say that you should be free to exponate your, in light of what you just called political, political opinions of people's gender, race and sexual preference. Some might call that ironic. Or bigotted.

Climb out from under your rock, it's not the 1950s anymore and it's not cool to tell women to go make you a sandwich or beat up the ***** guys for fun. Nor is it cool to perpetuate these attitudes through lax use of words and phrases that are thick with association to these frankly medieval ways of thinking.

Stop your whining and grow up.

Edited by POWR, 25 February 2013 - 03:18 AM.

#267 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:23 AM

View PostXinaoen, on 25 February 2013 - 03:13 AM, said:

Let's play pretend for a second.

Bob had an abusive mother. If he spoke out of turn, she beat him with a wooden spoon. If he played too loudly, she beat him with a wooden spoon. Sometimes she beat him with a wooden spoon for no reason, except that she'd been drinking.

Fast forward twenty years. Bob is playing an online game, and another player makes an offhand remark about beating someone with a wooden spoon. Bob flies off the handle.

Is that a logical reaction? No. That is, the logic center isn't the part of the brain that responds. Bob doesn't think it over and decide to be offended; he has an emotional reaction. Under the circumstances, I think that the reaction is perfectly reasonable. It's not a logical reaction, but it does make sense.

Calling someone a poopie face is not the same thing as calling someone a n***** or a f*****. These are words that have powerful baggage attached to them. Consider yourself lucky if you can't relate to that. Don't be that a**hole who lives in a world where illogical feelings are invalid. That's as moronic as it is insensitive.

Don't put your emotional baggage on other people. I am fat, I am ok with being fat. If people call me fat, I agree that i am indeed fat. I certainly don't go running to the authorities crying for justice because someone tried to hurt my feelers. We are on the internet, grow some armor. Free Speech has no time for people with hurt feelings.

#268 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:24 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 25 February 2013 - 03:05 AM, said:

This never really happened.

It did. Take a fairly unique nickname, which is still listed on the homepage and forums of a tennis club along with some other corresponding info, and there you go... He even knew what the guy looked like. People leave traces everywhere, especially stupid people. You can also trace ip's you know.

Edited by Oy of MidWorld, 25 February 2013 - 03:34 AM.

#269 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:31 AM

View PostPOWR, on 25 February 2013 - 03:16 AM, said:

Yes, they can hate whoever they please. Just don't do it in a public space. I find it interesting that you would complain about someone bringing politics, as you call it, I would call it modern moral, into "this game", and then say that you should be free to exponate your, in light of what you just called political, political opinions of people's gender, race and sexual preference. Some might call that ironic. Or bigotted.

Climb out from under your rock, it's not the 1950s anymore and it's not cool to tell women to go make you a sandwich or beat up the ***** guys for fun. Nor is it cool to perpetuate these attitudes through lax use of words and phrases that are thick with association to these frankly medieval ways of thinking.

Stop your whining and grow up.

Racism and homophobia are stupid. That is my belief. Should people be able to spout whatever they feel like in chat? No, it's not the place for it. So, some jerk opens his mouth and says something homophobic or racist. That is his right to think that way. Who are you to impose your morality on others? Hearing stupid peoples closed minded comments every now and then is the price we pay for free speech.

#270 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:31 AM

I don't see a problem with people using racial slurs or anti-religion, anti-homosexuality, and other discriminatory phrases.

You're offended by it, big deal.

I'm offended to my core by a lot of the inanely boring drivel that comes out of the mouths of polite and politically correct people, yet for some reason I'm the bad guy if I use a phrase they don't like.

#271 Xinaoen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 382 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

View PostPihb, on 25 February 2013 - 03:23 AM, said:

Don't put your emotional baggage on other people. I am fat, I am ok with being fat. If people call me fat, I agree that i am indeed fat. I certainly don't go running to the authorities crying for justice because someone tried to hurt my feelers. We are on the internet, grow some armor. Free Speech has no time for people with hurt feelings.

The free speech argument always puts my teeth on edge. Of all the moves in a jerk's arsenal, none is more classic than hiding behind the rules - as long as they benefit him. He can be as cruel and petty as he wants to be as long as he isn't breaking any rules, and you're the bad guy if you try to tell him that he should stop. He gets to be a bully and to play the victim at the same time; being a terrible person doesn't stop him from feeling superior.

You have every right to be an a**hole; that doesn't mean that you should be.

#272 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

View PostXinaoen, on 25 February 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

The free speech argument always puts my teeth on edge. Of all the moves in a jerk's arsenal, none is more classic than hiding behind the rules - as long as they benefit him. He can be as cruel and petty as he wants to be as long as he isn't breaking any rules, and you're the bad guy if you try to tell him that he should stop. He gets to be a bully and to play the victim at the same time; being a terrible person doesn't stop him from feeling superior.

You have every right to be an a**hole; that doesn't mean that you should be.

You can't restrict what people say no matter how ugly it is. You don't have to listen to it. Frankly, I don't give a rats *** about your feelings. But I will defend to my dying breath your right to be who you want to be or say what you want to say. You can't cherry pick who free speech applies to.

#273 ChrisOrange

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

View PostPOWR, on 25 February 2013 - 03:09 AM, said:

It's interesting that you reply to this thread, yet don't seem to understand what the thread is about. Could you explain your lack of understanding of the problem?

got em mad

#274 Xinaoen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 382 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

View PostPihb, on 25 February 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

You can't restrict what people say no matter how ugly it is. You don't have to listen to it. Frankly, I don't give a rats *** about your feelings. But I will defend to my dying breath your right to be who you want to be or say what you want to say. You can't cherry pick who free speech applies to.

I'm a passionate believer in free speech. I don't think that you shouldn't be allowed to say certain things; I think that you shouldn't say them.

The only kind of censorship that I endorse is self-censorship. Let me be clear on that point.

#275 riverslq

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

Wait so if I called someone a heterosexual, that's not a bad thing?
but homosexual is?
double standard I say!

#276 Tharin Ward

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

I have read a good portion of this topic. I fully admit after 6 or 8 pages it gets redundant.

HOWEVER. Hate speech is something that should not be tolerated by the general public. IRL if we hear people using language that offends us...we distance ourselves from the issue. Since we do not have a /ignore feature, the support folks should do so for us. Before everyone gets huffy asking for answers to WHAT i feel constitutes hate speech..it doesnt matter. We all read and agreed to the Code of Conduct. http://mwomercs.com/conduct If someone does not follow it, well.........action = result. What is the result? /shrug not my call....I just shoot stompy robots

#277 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

View PostTraining Instructor, on 25 February 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

I don't see a problem with people using racial slurs or anti-religion, anti-homosexuality, and other discriminatory phrases.

You're offended by it, big deal.

I'm offended to my core by a lot of the inanely boring drivel that comes out of the mouths of polite and politically correct people, yet for some reason I'm the bad guy if I use a phrase they don't like.

Well, spout that ****
and i'll report you. Eventually you'll get banned. Big deal.

#278 riverslq

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

View PostOy of MidWorld, on 25 February 2013 - 03:57 AM, said:

Well, spout that ****
and i'll report you. Eventually you'll get banned. Big deal.

The PC police are out in full force! Hold your tongues! ALERT! Cannot offend anyone! ALERT!

#279 Thirdstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:04 AM

Just to stir the pot a bit.

Posted Image

#280 JSparrowist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationBoomer Sooner

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:04 AM

I find your censorship of my hate speech offensive!

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users