419 replies to this topic

#301 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

View Postriverslq, on 25 February 2013 - 04:01 AM, said:

The PC police are out in full force! Hold your tongues! ALERT! Cannot offend anyone! ALERT!

This has nothing to do with being politically correct, at all :D

#302 Thirdstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostRauchsauger, on 25 February 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

You have no power over me. You are impotent.
You are invited to make me shut up :D :huh: :o I'm really psyched to see you try.

Posted Image

You got issues mate. Why don't you take a step back and see how silly you look?

Edited by Thirdstar, 25 February 2013 - 05:02 AM.

#303 Machete Jeddie

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

Are you being insulted by said slurs? If no, you are simply being insulted for other people, which is just stupid. If those on the receiving end of the insult want to speak up, let them. And if the slur does not apply to you, ignore it.

#304 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostHerger, on 25 February 2013 - 04:50 AM, said:

this is so lame.

Yes. yes it is.

View PostThirdstar, on 25 February 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

Posted Image

Slightly less lame now tho :D

#305 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:04 AM

View PostKharnZor, on 25 February 2013 - 05:02 AM, said:

Yes. yes it is.

Slightly less lame now tho :D

Neil deGrasse Tyson makes everything less lame :huh:

#306 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:13 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 24 February 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

This is a pretty loaded thing to police though, and I could understand if PGI (or whoever) is hesitant about throwing bans around. The line between abuse and smack-talk can be kind of blurry sometimes.

It's really not a blurry line if you consider what he is addressing. There is no legitimate reason, at all, I can think of to use racial slurs or known insults to gender, lifestyle, or sexual orientation in the open chat of a Mech fighting game.

Smack talk is one thing, but there are known terms and phrases that serve no purpose other than to show prejudice, degrade others, and be hurtful. Regardless of how they are used, in game is a public forum subject to a TOS, the language in question is in violation of that TOS, and any usage of said language in open chat is reportable.

Grow a thicker skin is not a legitimate argument against this, that response simply shows ignorance, callousness, bias, or any combination thereof. Because it doesn't bother you does not make it ok to reduce (or allow it to become reduced through inaction) what should be an enjoyable passtime blowing up 'Mechs into yet another internet cesspool of verbal abuse, misogyny, homophobia and racism. There is little middle ground context cannot be provided and therefore in the the open chat all instances should be dealt with per the provided TOS everyone signed onto.

#307 elbloom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:16 AM

View PostRauchsauger, on 25 February 2013 - 04:36 AM, said:

The sheer stupidity of this statement gave me a seizure...

maybe you are a true born reporter yourself ? got beaten much ?
Posted Image

Edited by elbloom, 25 February 2013 - 05:43 AM.

#308 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

View Postelbloom, on 25 February 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

this thread... is.... rofl :D BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA :huh: :o :blink:

Oh the tears are so delicious, thanks for making my day a funny one, OP. (where I was in school guys like you got dragged somewhere and erm. yea :D)

If you like reports so much why don´t you become a reporter ?

You were in school?

#309 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:21 AM

View PostAgent of Change, on 25 February 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

It's really not a blurry line if you consider what he is addressing. There is no legitimate reason, at all, I can think of to use racial slurs or known insults to gender, lifestyle, or sexual orientation in the open chat of a Mech fighting game.

Smack talk is one thing, but there are known terms and phrases that serve no purpose other than to show prejudice, degrade others, and be hurtful. Regardless of how they are used, in game is a public forum subject to a TOS, the language in question is in violation of that TOS, and any usage of said language in open chat is reportable.

Grow a thicker skin is not a legitimate argument against this, that response simply shows ignorance, callousness, bias, or any combination thereof. Because it doesn't bother you does not make it ok to reduce (or allow it to become reduced through inaction) what should be an enjoyable passtime blowing up 'Mechs into yet another internet cesspool of verbal abuse, misogyny, homophobia and racism. There is little middle ground context cannot be provided and therefore in the the open chat all instances should be dealt with per the provided TOS everyone signed onto.

Hey, I agree with you. Lots.

View PostKiiyor, on 24 February 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

I'm all for a little smack talk, foul-language and uncouth behavior, but as far as "Its just words" goes, i'll have to politely disagree. That particular phrase has been a catch-cry and crutch for bullies since age immaterial, and it's not an excuse for abusive behavior and personal attacks, which can be highly destructive and devastating to people who don't have the thick skins that say you or I have developed.

I'm not bothered by it, and from the tone of your post I would say that you aren't either, and that's fine.

Against someone who is already depressed or unstable however, well. I've seen firsthand the damage abuse that you or I would deem innocent can do.

Who would have thought a post about verbal abuse in a video game would have created argument.

#310 Rauchsauger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 25 February 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

Posted Image

You got issues mate. Why don't you take a step back and see how silly you look?

You were the one telling me to stop...I just informed you about how futile that is - because you cannot.

Also if you cite someone either cite everything or mark that you did not cite all of it.

Here is a picture for you:
Posted Image

Edited by Rauchsauger, 25 February 2013 - 05:31 AM.

#311 Kaldor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

View PostPhate421, on 24 February 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

All it takes for (racists, sexists, homophobes, etc) to prevail is for good people to do nothing.

Good on ya OP. I don't mind a little trash talk but blatantly vulgar or hateful comments I can do without. This is a fun game, why bring that garbage in here?

Exactly. If you want to curse someone, fine. We have all done it, in game, in TS, under our breath, etc. I will even ignore most offhand comments about my sexual orientation, my mom, whatever. H_ll I made a comment in TS awhile back about fried chicken and black people, because I truly love fried chicken, and it just happens that one of the black gents in our unit said he loves fried chicken too. Good times to be had as we laughed about it. The point is, malicious things need to be reported.

You truly want to be an a__hole, I will report you too. You just need to be able to determine where that line is and its hard for alot of people to find on what is appropriate and what is not. However, most of the time people just need to ignore the 13 year old troll and get on with their life.

#312 Ilwrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

The hate speech sure is getting worse. One day I was playing in US prime time and someone said
"homosexual negroid jew" on the chat. I was so shocked. It got me out of balance and I missed my target. After that I quit the game for that session but was thinking about it a long time and it basically ruined my entire weekend.

#313 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 25 February 2013 - 04:04 AM, said:

Just to stir the pot a bit.

Posted Image

Pretty sure he would be upset that you'd use that in this context :D

#314 riverslq

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:44 AM

View PostIlwrath, on 25 February 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

The hate speech sure is getting worse. One day I was playing in US prime time and someone said
"homosexual negroid jew" on the chat. I was so shocked. It got me out of balance and I missed my target. After that I quit the game for that session but was thinking about it a long time and it basically ruined my entire weekend.

yeah, that could've been shortened into something so much more effective.

you know, like calling them "Little Richard"

Edited by riverslq, 25 February 2013 - 05:44 AM.

#315 Rauchsauger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 225 posts

What it basically comes down is that this is IGP/PGI's house so to speak.
They would have to set the house rules and enforce them. That is where bigotry starts.
While I'm sure that everybody at IGP/PGI will agree that racial slurs, hatespeak, griefing ... are a no go they will never ever implement a system that will remove anyone as quick as I would remove someone spouting that idiotic garbage from my house.
They need players and money and they want said money over their moral compass.
(That does not apply to the individual but to the company)

Nonetheless a reporting system like for example in League of Legends should be in any game.
We can report all day we want since it is not us who decides if someone gets banned - we only decide what offends us.
The only people complaining about such a mechanism do know that they are bigot a_holes and that they will get banned for their dumb behaviour. Nobody will get banned because of losing the temper occasionally - only those who are *insert short for richard here* and do so constantly will be.

#316 elbloom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

View PostOy of MidWorld, on 25 February 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

You were in school?

You´d remember me if you had been Mr. Oyl of OlaZ :D :huh: :o
Posted Image

Edited by elbloom, 25 February 2013 - 05:47 AM.

#317 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

View PostKaldor, on 25 February 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

..snip...

You truly want to be an a__hole, I will report you too. You just need to be able to determine where that line is and its hard for alot of people to find on what is appropriate and what is not. However, most of the time people just need to ignore the 13 year old troll and get on with their life.

Can't agree more except for one clarification i would like to add to the sentiment shared here. However, most of the time people just need to not take seriously the 13 year old troll but report him for violations of the TOS and get on with their life.

Regardless of who is or is not offended, the in game chat is NOT subject to the first amendment. You do NOT have free and unfettered speech you signed up for it you agreed to the TOS and the restrictions it requires and depending on how you look at it you are potentially obligated to report violations as much as not commit violations of it.

Personally I think common decency dictates that we should police our own so that we can have fun and enjoy a mature environment, where mature means grown-up not explicit language. But that may just be me, and I curse like the Marine I am but i try to not direct it at anyone in particular and i certainly don't type it in the in game chat.

#318 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

View PostRauchsauger, on 25 February 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

You were the one telling me to stop...I just informed you about how futile that is - because you cannot.

No sunshine, you were pulling the 'character' card like it was the 1800s or something. So I pointed out very truthfully that no one here gives a damn.

I'm sorry that was too much reality for you to handle. I'll refrain from puncturing your little bubble in the future.

Cheers.

#319 FiveDigits

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

Oh you Americans and your profanity issues... :D
Nobody else cares. It's just words.

#320 Rauchsauger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

View PostPOWR, on 25 February 2013 - 05:41 AM, said:

Pretty sure he would be upset that you'd use that in this context :D

Someone quoting a persona would upset him more I think.

Edited by Rauchsauger, 25 February 2013 - 05:51 AM.

30 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 30 guests, 0 anonymous users