Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

This isn't a public sidewalk...

The Forums, the Game.. it's all part of a Product being offered as a service by Corporations... it's a private Forum, it's a private Game, the Staff can make any rule they want regarding the use of Free Speech. The Code of Conduct outlines many of these rules. The rules are not unreasonable, in my opinion.

It's not a violation of anyone's rights for IGP and PGI to limit your in-game and in-forum speech because it's a commercial product being offered for usage under certain Terms of Use that we, as account-holders, have personally signed and agreed to uphold.

If this were BLM land or somewhere in the National Forest, then you can say whatever you want.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 24 February 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#202 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostValore, on 24 February 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

I like that argument, but its inherently flawed.

So what happens if someone somehow determines another player is for example homosexual. And he begins to continuosly make non-directed anti-homosexual sentiments.

The other player's experience is definitely degraded. As is the experience of all the other non-neanderthal players who are all similarly annoyed and have to suffer through his nonsense. Are you telling me that he should not be banned because he's within the guidelines of 'standard internet douchery', but has avoided crossing into 'unacceptable harrassment'? That's farcical.

Speaking one's mind on a subject isnt douchery, until it crosses into hate speech, which was defined earlier in this thread.
For instance, I am a middle aged white guy. Someone could go on a rant about how middle aged white guys suck, blah blah blah- you know who cares? thats their opinion, they are entitled to it, if I dont like it I can tell them so, or leave, or whatever.

now if same person started saying middle aged white guys should all be killed because blah blah, etc, well, now we have actual hate speech, speech that talks about removing my basic human rights.

OR, if same person started saying Eldagore is a ---------------------------------------------(slang) , and continues on past one angry outburst, well, now we have a related but slightly different problem of harassment towards me.

#203 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 24 February 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

This isn't a public sidewalk...

The Forums, the Game.. it's all part of a Product being offered as a service by Corporations... it's a private Forum, it's a private Game, the Staff can make any rule they want regarding the use of Free Speech. The Code of Conduct outlines many of these rules. The rules are not unreasonable, in my opinion.

It's not a violation of anyone's rights for IGP and PGI to limit your in-game and in-forum speech because it's a commercial product being offered for usage under certain Terms of Use that we, as account-holders, have personally signed and agreed to uphold.

If this were BLM land or somewhere in the National Forest, then you can say whatever you want.

This is also true. PGI could require photos of all players, and exclude any player they want based on their haircut if they wanted. It is in their best interest to stick to what serves as the law in public however. You start banning people for swear words or opinions and your public use product will flop.

#204 Valore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

View PostEldagore, on 24 February 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

Speaking one's mind on a subject isnt douchery,

It is, if you're playing a giant robot game, and you're spouting your irrelevant views that only serve the purpose of degrading the playing experience of others in the game with you.

That would surely come under griefing, since you are affecting the ability of other players to have fun in a manner that is not acceptable.

Edited by Valore, 24 February 2013 - 10:12 PM.

#205 Nightcrept

• 1,050 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Saying it's the internet get over it is ridiculous.

This is a private business that needs to keep as many players as possible to succeed. There is absolutely no protection of speech here. You have no rights to post or type anything.

That being said players who purposely type offensive words in game with the intent of upsetting people are assaulting them. This creates an adverse atmosphere that can and will drive off some players.

Personally I think people who feel the need to insult and curse at people via the internet are funny, sad individuals.
I usually do not report them unless they are harassing someone, being really ignorant or using some sort of racial slurs etc.

#206 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Exactly. Their place, no one else has the right to impose.

#207 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

My 8 and 10 year old play all the time. I wish they wouldn't have to read the filth that a lot of small minded people put on here, but its way more important that we have have a super rad time playing mechwarrior. I just wish I could /leave General Chat function.

#208 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostEldagore, on 24 February 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

This is also true. PGI could require photos of all players, and exclude any player they want based on their haircut if they wanted. It is in their best interest to stick to what serves as the law in public however. You start banning people for swear words or opinions and your public use product will flop.

They are well within their rights to do so. They're well within their rights if they say you have to play the game while using a pogo stick. But they don't. If you actually have a read of their policies they're not unreasonable.

#209 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

Yeah, people should watch what they say. Like calling people racial slurs, mean names, and threatening to ss and send it to all the major game sites. Op has a point, even if he is acting like a nancy.

#210 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

View PostEldagore, on 24 February 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

You must be joking.

Most of the more serious players use TS, where they're more than able/happy to swear/curse/expound any non-PC views they have among individuals who do not get put off.

Those who don't use TS are hardly about to stop playing because they couldn't come online and unleash a torrent of self-righteous twaddle on the unsuspecting populace of this game via ingame chat.

And if they do stop playing because of that, then that's a fantastic side effect.

Edited by Valore, 24 February 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#211 Nightcrept

• 1,050 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

View PostTechnoviking, on 24 February 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

My 8 and 10 year old play all the time.  I wish they wouldn't have to read the filth that a lot of small minded people put on here, but its way more important that we have have a super rad time playing mechwarrior.  I just wish I could /leave General Chat function.
Unfortunately there are a lot of 30+ year old children who play this game too and thinks it's ok to make the rest of us read their e-tantrums. I'm sure pgi will put in a filter of some sort eventually. Then filter violators will be in actuality assaulting people on purpose and pgi will b more likely to ban them etc.

#212 Pan

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Nice OP you got them to do all the work for you. 9/10

#213 Deamhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 484 posts
  • Location4 Wing Cold Lake

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

View PostValore, on 24 February 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

I like that argument, but its inherently flawed.

So what happens if someone somehow determines another player is for example homosexual. And he begins to continuosly make non-directed anti-homosexual sentiments.

You don't have to say their name for the comments to be directed their way. If the person knows and starts saying crap simply because they know a person on their team or the other team is of a certain race/sex/sexual orientation, it is still being directed at them.

Also a person's Rights and Freedoms only apply as long as it doesn't infringe on another person's Right and Freedoms.

Edited by Deamhan, 24 February 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#214 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

How about this..
Developers: Would you consider putting a button in the game that would report or mute an individual who might say something that I or other might find offensive?

The rest of this post is just a bunch of nonsence. Stop trying to nerf the world, because some people like to bounce off hard things.

*btw yes this country has gone to hell, but some of us are still holding a bottle and ******* on the fire.

#215 mekabuser

• Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

id love to see those screen shots... Cant reall anything offensive in 1000 matches... oncE IN a blue moon , something stupid...thatsit..
yes we should all talk nice... no s hiiiiiiiiiiieeeeet...
i call bs on OP rightoues indignation... Repeated..? we lll maybe u got bad luck in the ohim offended dept... Txt chat in game.. is.....
not a problem...for adults .... who recognize.. real problems..

#216 Nightcrept

• 1,050 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

Not to try and be overly analytic.

But in all honesty this comes down to poor parenting.

Some parents fail to proper raise their children which leads to them having behavioral problems. This can often b evidenced by inappropriate public displays.

Edited by Nightcrept, 24 February 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#217 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

View PostNightcrept, on 24 February 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:

Some parents fail to proper raise they children which leads to them having behavioral problems. This can often b evidenced by inappropriate public displays.

And religion! Let's bring religion into this!

Also, kids drink too many energy drinks.

#218 Nightcrept

• 1,050 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 24 February 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

And religion! Let's bring religion into this!

Also, kids drink too many energy drinks.

Religion?

That's basic psychology.....lol

Edited by Nightcrept, 24 February 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#219 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

Some parents fail to proper raise they children which leads to them having behavioral problems. This can often b evidenced by inappropriate public displays.

Then you'll be quite surprised to know that an old poll indicated that the average age of the MWO player was around 30.

View PostNightcrept, on 24 February 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

Religion?
That's basic physiology.....lol

Maybe you mean psychology?

Though it would be more accurate to call what you described behavioral sciences.

Edited by Thirdstar, 24 February 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#220 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

More analytics. It could be autism, or psychopathy. These two are not related by the way.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users