[Updated March 22nd] Common Mechs In Run Hot Or Die (Competitive League Mech Designs)

139 replies to this topic

#121 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • LocationAllocation Relocation Dislocation

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

View PostKamelkaze, on 21 April 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:

Is this the thread due all newbies drive the same common builds and flame me that i play uncommon? :P

No.
This is the thread where people who actually have a grasp of the game share some of their tricks and dickslap people who keep running around in their small laser-machine gun-lrm 5 mechs.
We also enjoy a good laugh after said dickslapping, when the crying begins!

#122 Padic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostArrachtas, on 22 April 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

The implicit suggestion that I am reading, that things are not 'top tier' [if] they aren't 'copy and paste' builds, is a bit far-fetched.

It is easy to slip from "these things have proven to be good" to "things that are not proven to be good are automatically bad".

The first statement is completely reasonable and, perhaps, even necessary, in a competitive environment. The second statement is dangerous, as it stifles innovation.

I like the OP in this thread because it does such a good job of avoiding that pitfall.

The OP even lists several experimental builds, or builds that don't seem optimal yet but have promise or use to be very effective.

#123 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostPadic, on 23 April 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

It is easy to slip from "these things have proven to be good" to "things that are not proven to be good are automatically bad".

The first statement is completely reasonable and, perhaps, even necessary, in a competitive environment. The second statement is dangerous, as it stifles innovation.

I like the OP in this thread because it does such a good job of avoiding that pitfall.

The OP even lists several experimental builds, or builds that don't seem optimal yet but have promise or use to be very effective.

*nods* Never stop experimenting. Even if the result is unusable you still learned something about the game and that is important.

#124 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

Bump for goodness. As long as the OP stays up to date, it should be stickied.

#125 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

There is a lot of synergy in this article with my mech tier list: http://mwomercs.com/...mech-tier-list/

#126 Burakumin1979

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

I'm also assuming that the build list shown is a nice list for devs to go by when considering hardpoint limitations and weapon balance. If competitive gamers are discarding entire weapon systems and boating PPC's where medium lasers were, then its a good indicator for something to be fixed by further developing the hardpoint system (ex. E2, E3 stating maximum possible crit slots) and by balancing other weapon systems.

I've been very competitive in my MMOs, back to my D&T WoW days, so I should really check out this RHoD. I would be more interested in a stock mech tournament league with tonnage limits, lance build requirements, mechs used by house, etc.

#127 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

No 4P medium laser boat?

#128 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 23 May 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

No 4P medium laser boat?

That might have to do with it mega attention as it is, and technically isn't hard to disable.

What I'm curious is with the analysis of the BJs and Highlanders... plus the current missile meta that should resurrect some builds and kill off others (which at the moment is many things that involve SRMs)...

Edited by Deathlike, 23 May 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#129 Reflexive

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

Posted Image

#130 FranzTheTank

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:48 PM

Hey,

got also a close, medium and long range setup for the AS7 with enough firepower.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...76bbfb2fdb629b1

Cheers

PS: this is my current config beside the previous one above. I switch between these two.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...508e9e3b4b53f0f

Edited by FranzTheTank, 10 June 2013 - 12:49 AM.

#131 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

D-DC "Dump Truck" (make sure you paint it like construction equipment)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...55420dfa9d2c2eb

I was originally looking for something that was well rounded and could survive the abuses and loads that random games tend to throw at specialized builds, while at the same time maintaining effectiveness for organized groups. I came up with this, and it works surprisingly well unless I get genuinely screwed on matchmaking. It kills runners, it headshots snipers, it can go head to head with some brawlers, and can start the engagement outside the effective range of the rest. Played right you wont have many bad games that are your fault, but they will happen, nobody's perfect.

for organized groups of 8, I find it maintains a large deal of effectiveness due to its ability to flex support both snipers and brawlers with minimal movement, regardless of original placement through while retaining its ability to damage and area denial. Although I will admit when people see I'm not using ultra ac/5's they seem to involuntarily forget I have 49 damage alpha and can handle myself adequately in close quarters, and then proceed to get within srm range.

one little quirk, the 4's fire faster than the 6, fast enough to notice in an emergency situation, but that shouldn't matter if your target is within 150 meters.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 22 June 2013 - 11:36 PM.

#132 AntiBot

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:42 AM

I wonder if the list as listed by the original poster is still actual ?

for me it is interesting to see how patches affect the comp metagame

Comp players stick to a certain logic, which has a tendency to make itself become true (everyone copies the winner)
So a small change/patch can go unnoticed because the current 'logic' prohibits thinking in a certain direction

#133 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

Most players use PPCs now... so Lights are the same, medium ppc sniper or a backup brawler, heavy ppc, stalker ppc for assaults.

Still the list is a good reference and the designs are solid.

#134 Sh4dow78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 234 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

just this :
VTR-9S like a boss
80ton version of DDC moving 84kph with JJ this mech is just INSANE!

#135 Bluecricket

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostScarface1978, on 18 July 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

just this :
VTR-9S like a boss
80ton version of DDC moving 84kph with JJ this mech is just INSANE!

While I enjoy the idea of a jump-jetting 80t Atlas DDC-lite, I can't recommend an XL engine on a fat brawler assault 'mech like this. Victor torsos are quite wide and easy to hit, and with only 46 armor on the front side torsos, you'll get killed in 2-3 salvos from similar competition. There's not a whole lot of ammo on this thing, either--your AC20 will run dry quickly, if you make it that long. It's a fun idea, but I personally recommend dropping down to a slower, but safer Standard engine as your first step and build up from there.

Edit: This is a base example:

VTR-9S

It's not fast, but JJs are so important in the current state of the movement mechanics that it helps. The problem here is that you're basically in the same role as a Highlander 733C, which can perform this role as well or better than the Victor. It's hard to come up with Victor builds that don't involve an XL engine, that a Highlander could just do better & more.

I mean, go hog wild with the big XLs on your ballistic Victor brawlers; they seem interesting and are a fascinating niche, but ultimately seem fragile and not worth the risk.

Edited by Bluecricket, 19 July 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#136 Sh4dow78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostBluecricket, on 18 July 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

While I enjoy the idea of a jump-jetting 80t Atlas DDC-lite, I can't recommend an XL engine on a fat brawler assault 'mech like this. Victor torsos are quite wide and easy to hit, and with only 46 armor on the front side torsos, you'll get killed in 2-3 salvos from similar competition. There's not a whole lot of ammo on this thing, either--your AC20 will run dry quickly, if you make it that long. It's a fun idea, but I personally recommend dropping down to a slower, but safer Standard engine as your first step and build up from there.

Edit: This is a base example:

VTR-9S

It's not fast, but JJs are so important in the current state of the movement mechanics that it helps. The problem here is that you're basically in the same role as a Highlander 733C, which can perform this role as well or better than the Victor. It's hard to come up with Victor builds that don't involve an XL engine, that a Highlander could just do better & more.

I mean, go hog wild with the big XLs on your ballistic Victor brawlers; they seem interesting and are a fascinating niche, but ultimately seem fragile and not worth the risk.

U just answered urself... why bring slow Victor if i can do better with Highlander/DDC ? power of victor is his speed and i assure u i dont die often to my side torso just bcoz i can utilize that speed and do a quick go in/go out with this build. malso my JJ help me alot with staying alive. U can play like u want but i just stick to my build ;) u can always use 340XL 2erppc and gauss if u not bored this kind of game its act like a better 3D :ph34r:

#137 Alipheese Fateburn

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

A question about the KONG Warboss Atlas D-DC coming from a noob.

The build as linked seems to be defective, due to the fact that i can't put the ECM on the center (it has to be on the left torso), and I can't find a way to put it on the chest. Is the build just a bit outdated, or am I doing something wrong?

#138 Steel Will

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

That build is from before there was an LT hardpoint for ECM.

#139 Protection

• 1,754 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

These are so ******* outdated as to be useless. Please ignore.

#140 Sean Ward

• PipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:33 AM

Is there a place for updated competitive builds for RHoD or for some of the builds used in the Launch Tournament? It would be interesting to see what is competitive now that the launch patch is here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users