[Idea]Testing Bay: Build And Test Mech Designs For Free

102 replies to this topic

Poll: [Idea]Testing Bay: Build And Test Mech Designs For Free (332 member(s) have cast votes)

do you like this idea

1. Voted yes (304 votes [91.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 91.84%

2. no (22 votes [6.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.65%

3. abstain (5 votes [1.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

many people like to build mechs, but often a mistake is made when buying a mech variant or an upgrade that costs lots of money and doesn't work because of design error by the player.

i am proposing that every player be given one mechbay that acts differently from all of the rest.

rules
  • mechs within this bay cannot be used in any game mode other than "testing grounds"
  • all equipment from this bay is entirely seperate from equipment used by other mech bays
  • cbills and MC CANNOT be effected in any way by any actions taken with this mech bay.
  • mechs follow all standard design rules
features
  • pilots get completely unrestricted and free access to ALL equipment and mechs (including hero mechs) <-this could increase sales of hero mechs.
this would allow players to build and try out new mechs so that there is less buyers remorse without cutting into the profit for the developers.

another good addition to the idea vv

View PostTemplarGFX, on 19 May 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

I would like to see this too, mainly so that I can find out how much I would actually need to buy a new mech, and replace all the bits inside with what I want. Something like "In order to purchase this mech, you will require xxxxxxxx CBills"

another nice addition to the training grounds that i think deserves some attention (i did not create this one):
http://mwomercs.com/...oups-must-read/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
don't forget to vote. vote = bump, except without the thread being filled with "bump" posts.

Edited by blinkin, 26 August 2013 - 03:09 PM.
changed vote option 3

#2 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

bump for some daylight

#3 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

bump

#4 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

bump

anyone? any opinions at all?

#5 buttmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

seems reasonable to me

#6 ohtochooseaname

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

I like it! I am on the fence about buying an X-5, and trying it out would push me one way or another.

#7 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Legit.

#8 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

This might be interesting so that you could test and play stuff to see how well it works beforehand in the testing grounds.

#9 DeadlyNerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostTice Daurus, on 14 March 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

This might be interesting so that you could test and play stuff to see how well it works beforehand in the testing grounds.

You don't say.

#10 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

The only requirement IMO is that the mechs get all the basics mastered, but not doubled through getting all the elites mastered. This is strictly for the test run.

The reason for this is that you'll be spending most of your time initially trying to master it and it'll be significantly better once you get all the perks.

Pure stock mechs (no bonuses) are crippled due to the entire efficiency system. That is the wrong way to get a feel for the mech in the game's current state.

Edited by Deathlike, 14 March 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#11 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Reasonable request. I would like to try a new build in the testing grounds before I commit to it. I would also like to try a mech before I perches it. Especially hero mechs.

#12 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

Sounds reasonable...
I would like to test - any Mech ...Stock Mech .. look how it fits my needs...so i can say...generally speaken the commando isn't a Mech for me... or the Dragon does not fit my style

To test and reconfigure a Mech without costs until i have the ultra heat neutral high damage alpha Mech for no costs....however no i don't think that should be possible. YOu have smurfy or the MWO LAb. There you can check if your loadout fit into the chassis...if it fit consider the figures and when they fit you can build that mech in the MechLab - no needs to test it

#13 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 14 March 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

Sounds reasonable...
I would like to test - any Mech ...Stock Mech .. look how it fits my needs...so i can say...generally speaken the commando isn't a Mech for me... or the Dragon does not fit my style

To test and reconfigure a Mech without costs until i have the ultra heat neutral high damage alpha Mech for no costs....however no i don't think that should be possible. YOu have smurfy or the MWO LAb. There you can check if your loadout fit into the chassis...if it fit consider the figures and when they fit you can build that mech in the MechLab - no needs to test it

there is a lot that the stats don't show.

you contradict yourself a bit within that post. you say that you don't want players fine tuning cheese builds and then you immediately talk about smurfy, which already allows you to do just that.

this would also serve people who are trying to build legit mechs. something like this would have told me that my chainfire 3x AC2 hunchback wouldn't work because chainfire is too slow and i wouldn't have wasted millions on a mech that is just sitting in one of my bays taking up space because i can't find an effective use for it.

cheese builds tend to be very heavily documented (everyone can recite by memory the basics of the raven 3l build). most other uncommon builds have little or no documentation. so it would serve pilots with original designs the most.

Edited by blinkin, 15 March 2013 - 12:03 AM.

#14 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

View Postblinkin, on 15 March 2013 - 12:00 AM, said:

there is a lot that the stats don't show.

you contradict yourself a bit within that post. you say that you don't want players fine tuning cheese builds and then you immediately talk about smurfy, which already allows you to do just that.

this would also serve people who are trying to build legit mechs. something like this would have told me that my chainfire 3x AC2 hunchback wouldn't work because chainfire is too slow and i wouldn't have wasted millions on a mech that is just sitting in one of my bays taking up space because i can't find an effective use for it.

cheese builds tend to be very heavily documented (everyone can recite by memory the basics of the raven 3l build). most other uncommon builds have little or no documentation. so it would serve pilots with original designs the most.

The reason for the tripple AC 2 combination was removed with the reduction of the rocking effect. Damage was never the main concern of this build. Even testlab wouldn't have helped you in this way.

Cheesebuilds...screw them all... i don't have a single commom layout in my MechBay. My Atlas need all 6 fire groups to work properly. Only the Yen Lo Wan come allong with two groups.
But I have designed them outside of MWO... i have spend hours to got the figures meat my imagination and experience form dozens of engagements. The Mechs work for me pefectly... i have run the TestGround just to see that my guesser were right.

#15 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 15 March 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

The reason for the tripple AC 2 combination was removed with the reduction of the rocking effect. Damage was never the main concern of this build. Even testlab wouldn't have helped you in this way.

i know the knock was reduced.

i was trying to build a long range machine gun. for suppressing targets and dishing out consistent damage at very extreme ranges. as you will notice knock effects were never mentioned in my post as they were reduced several patches ago.

View PostKarl Streiger, on 15 March 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

Cheesebuilds...screw them all... i don't have a single commom layout in my MechBay. My Atlas need all 6 fire groups to work properly. Only the Yen Lo Wan come allong with two groups.
But I have designed them outside of MWO... i have spend hours to got the figures meat my imagination and experience form dozens of engagements. The Mechs work for me pefectly... i have run the TestGround just to see that my guesser were right.

there are many aspects that listed stats do not reflect. i have a jenner with an ERPPC. it is very effective against large mechs, but it has major issues with fighting light mechs. the issues come from the nature of how the PPC fires. at high speeds the PPC shot does not come from the jenner, it tends to come from several meters behind. if fired at high speeds during a turn the shot will fly at an odd angle that is related to the turn, but incredibly difficult to compensate for. the nature of this effect makes it extremely difficult to accurately lead targets with the ERPPC. as a result i am forced to line up "bombing runs" if i wish to accurately fire my ERPPC. this is an effect that is not listed in any stat anywhere. i imagine very few people know about this because there are very few light pilots who are willing to mount an ERPPC on their mech.

this idea has the potential to help everyone. the pilots who abuse game mechanics are included with "everyone". i am not saying my idea is perfect or that there isn't any unforeseen fatal flaw, but by your reasoning we should remove cbills from the game because pilots can use them to build cheese mechs. or we should remove all weapons that can go into cheese builds. <-there are legitimate uses for these things as well even if there are cases where they are abused.

feel free to test the high speed ERPPC. i don't know if it works the same in the testing grounds, but within a match line up a shot on a target while moving over 120kph and fire while making a sharp turn.

Edited by blinkin, 15 March 2013 - 01:40 AM.

#16 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

View Postblinkin, on 15 March 2013 - 01:12 AM, said:

but by your reasoning we should remove cbills from the game because pilots can use them to build cheese mechs

Oh at least you got a point... remove cbills. Without RnR there is no reason for getting C-Bills. Even the worst player would be able to build a cheese mech to ruin the game for others, even if it is necessary to suicide rush a thousend times.

The PPC story sounds interesting... are you able to get this finding in the TestLab...with stationary targets?

#17 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:34 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 15 March 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

The PPC story sounds interesting... are you able to get this finding in the TestLab...with stationary targets?

i wanted to try it but i am unable to log in to the game right now for some reason.

#18 Neolisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationMississauga, ON

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:03 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 15 March 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

Oh at least you got a point... remove cbills. Without RnR there is no reason for getting C-Bills.

This is actually interesting, at least for now. Did you try to suggest this idea separately?

#19 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:05 AM

View PostNeolisk, on 15 March 2013 - 06:03 AM, said:

This is actually interesting, at least for now. Did you try to suggest this idea separately?

nope i did not. reason is simple i'm one of those that want to have RnR back. :'-(

#20 Neolisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationMississauga, ON

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 15 March 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

nope i did not. reason is simple i'm one of those that want to have RnR back. :'-(

The game is in beta, and there is not much massively multiplayer gaming going on, as 8 vs 8 matches are hardly that. Remove C-Bills to let people experiment with the game. Put them back later. It would definitely make it more interesting for starters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users