Good work Mr!

#22 Ewigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:08 AM

Just reading your guide right now Wadde, and i am not done with it yet.
But in the weapons description: No word about dumbfiring LRMs?

#23 Revorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:16 AM

Good Work Wadde. (+1) :D

#24 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

DOne with it now, and yep it is a good guide.
Of course i do not agree with everything you said, but as you marked that as your opinion i am fine with it :P

#25 Wisconsinz

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

+1 Awesome PDF. I have it on my Kindle Fire. Thanks!

#26 JigSaw73

• PipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 24 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRoswell, NM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

This document is great. You did a good job and I like the way you wrote it. Very easy to read, which is a good thing considering all the information you have included. Wow!...just Wow!!

Anyway, I did find some upside-down quotation marks on pg. 7 (Section 2c). Very minor and pretty much the only thing I could find wrong. I'm sure it took a lot of work to put this together, so thank you.

This thing is so good I might print it out...yeah, it is THAT good! Thanks for doing this. Awesome work.

#27 Karpundir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Much respect for the many, many hours of work you put into this!

Writing even one good article or niche topic guide can take a few hours on its own. Your sacrifice of game time for writing (and translating) this earns you huge kudos in the community and is a betterment to the game overall. I hope many new players and lone wolves read this guide and I am sure I will learn a few new things once I get through it myself.

If you want to spread the good word, we can host your PDF on QQmercs.com. PM me with your response.

<S>

#28 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• 1,567 posts
  • LocationAllocation Relocation Dislocation

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far guys! :wacko:
  • I'll change the heat warning values to 80 % within the next version.
  • I'll probably add a word for the BAP/SSRM lock-on thing, even though I've stated in the BAP description that it will give you the ability to target shut down Mechs.
  • I'll also mention the fact that you can dumbfire LRMs (even though I'm pretty confident that people will find out by themselves).
  • Thanks for the notification on the quotation marks. Here in germany the "up-side-down" way is the correct one. I tried really hard to alter them all for the english spoken folk (guess this one slipped through)! :P
  • A big thanks for linking the guide to Facebook (and all other linking offers)! You call got my full permission to link it/spread the word so people find their way to the guide! The more people it reaches, the better it is! The only !request" I may have is that you link the whole thread, rather than just the download link. This way people can leave comments and will also find their way to updated versions (the download link of every old version will refuse to work after I've released an updated version).
Current download numbers of the english version: 755!

Edited by WaddeHaddeDudeda, 16 March 2013 - 07:32 AM.

#29 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

heh, this is his second guide (that I know of) to a mechwarrior game.

Props

#30 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• 1,567 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

I know, I also wrote one for MW4 (which was probably not to well known since it "only" contained details to the Mechlab and was supposed to help absolute beginners). :)

#31 jcbolito

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

thanks for the guide downloading it right now ... =)

#32 D34K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 304 posts
  • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Nice work, Wadde. I wish I'd had this on day one when I logged into closed beta (I was very confused). This should be linked to inside the game client for new users. Take note PGI. :P

The only thing I would add is to give a page over to summarising what is happening in the Inner Sphere at the time of the game. I know the Sarna site has this info, but it's not a simple read. Chuck in some links to the ebooks of the novels too for further reading?

#33 Stumperson

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

I just started playing last night (First time in Mechwarrior ever) and I thank you very much for this guide. I won't lie...I got my first mech and I was lost as hell on what to do and the loadout screen was rather intimidating. I was kinda confused on things but after getting the guide it cleared it up rather well.

I kinda took the Gauss Rifle Catapult build and so far I enjoy it. Maybe i'll move into new mechs another day...kinda thinking about doing a jager AC build but for now it's a good start!

Edited by Stumperson, 20 March 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#34 JMech

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the guide. I definity found it usefull.

#35 GTV Zeratul

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Great write-up, should be real helpfull to new players and is a good "refresher course" for everyone else.

One small error in the DHS section I tink.
Quote from your guide:

Mech 2b
DHS
engine 275 (= 10 internal DHS + 1 additional spot for 1 external DHS)
6 additional (external) DHS = (10 x 2) + [(1 + 6) x 1,4] = 29,8 points of dissipation

AFIK from reading multiple post on the forums the DHS in the extra slot(s) in the engine also work at 2x, not at 1.4x.
If so the math should be: {(10+1)x2}+[6x1.4]= 30.4 points of heat dissipation.

Thanks for your work!

#36 Gralzeim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 366 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

One thing that I noticed in your "good/bad" section for weapons, was that you did not mention that pulse lasers, while being hotter and shorter ranged, are easier to focus the entire beam duration on a single section due to its shorter duration. Handy when engaging faster targets, or if you yourself are moving quickly (and likely don't have a long engagement time, i.e. hit and run).

But while I could see how they may be trickier for beginners to use, I just don't think they should be written off like that. They have their uses, same as every other weapon.

#37 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• 1,567 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Alright, I got swamped by work but should have the new version of the guide done by the upcoming weekend.

It will contain
  • an explanation to the latest control features of this game
  • a revamped modules chapter due to the newly introduced consumeables (will also hand out recommendations in a pro tip box which modules are actually worth their price)
  • new useful links
  • updated weapon values
  • some pulse laser loving
  • the hint that LRMs can be dumbfired and shut downed Mechs can be targeted whilst carrying BAP (even though this is already mentioned in the equipment part of the guide)
  • no more pesky german/up-side-down quotation marks (replaced the remaining ones with proper english marks)
I'll update the very first post in this thread as soon as its done.

Thanks for the feedback so far! You guys rock! :P
Current download numbers: 1720!!!

Zeratul: Thanks for the comment, even though whatever you've read about that matter was wrong.
DHS up to an engine rating of 250 (= 10 internal DHS) working with a 2.0 efficiency. All DHS placed in one of the additional torso spots from a 275+ engine count as "external" DHS and will only work with a 1.4 efficiency.

You can actually check it out by yourself. Just grab a Mech with...say 2 PPCs.
Now add a 250 engine + 1 external DHS and after that add a 275 engine and place 1 external DHS into the torso. The Heat efficiency will be exactly the same.
When you now put a 225 engine into the Mech and then compare the difference of the HE bar with a bare 250 engine you'll notice that it will be a lot bigger as when you use a 250 engine and add one external DHS. In both comparison cases you'll simply add only 1 DHS (225 [9] -> 250[10] and 250 [10] +1 [11]), but the outcome is an entirely different one.

Crap - super tired, but I hope this was understandable...somehow.

Edited by WaddeHaddeDudeda, 02 April 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#38 pjnt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 425 posts
  • LocationDetention Block 23, Death Star

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:06 AM

View PostJigSaw 022073, on 15 March 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

Anyway, I did find some upside-down quotation marks on pg. 7 (Section 2c). Very minor and pretty much the only thing I could find wrong. I'm sure it took a lot of work to put this together, so thank you.

That's because Germans use upside down quotes :P He might be a Wurst Muncher in disguise!

Sweet work Waddeeeee [cough cough] I thought it a [wheeeeeze] great read [cough cough].

#39 loliza

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 129 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:02 AM

great work! now we only need PGI to link the thread to their training grounds section on the webpage

#40 lostime

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

there any guides that this in Spanish :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users