Beginners Guide To Mw:o

140 replies to this topic

#61 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • LocationAllocation Relocation Dislocation

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:22 AM

Happy to be able to help! :)

As of today (05-27-2013) the russian version went live!

http://mwomercs.com/...чинающих-в-mwo/

#62 DingusMcGee

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

I am not a new player. But since so many of the help and support topics are locked I want to ask.
When are you going to fix the "Crash to Mech lab" bug. So far I have 3 mechs stuck IN GAME because every time I start a new game it crashes. No I do not have a slow machine or internet. Yes I delete the shaders folder. Yes I have used the repair tool. Why did I put money into a game that I cannot play?

#63 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• 1,567 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Haha.

Not sure if I should feel flattered or not. But best thing you could do is actually asking someone from PGI.
I'm not affiliated nor sponsored by them.

I'm doing these guides in my own freetime, without any support from PGI.

#64 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostWaddeHaddeDudeda, on 27 May 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

Haha.

Not sure if I should feel flattered or not. But best thing you could do is actually asking someone from PGI.
I'm not affiliated nor sponsored by them.

I'm doing these guides in my own freetime, without any support from PGI.

Lazy Wadde. Stop playing and get those bugs fixed!

lolzzzz

#65 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Bumping to bump for no other reason than to keep this thread top most. It answers everything I wanted to know as a newb in 50 pages with pictures! Also... avoids irritation when I refer to TOP MOST Thread

#66 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

Buy a CTF-3D or 733P(P for Poptart) and equip as many PPCs and gauss guns as it can hold. Win. That's the guide.

In short the entire OP could be replaced with the 3 words "Get a poptart" and it would literally get more new players more kills than any other advice, since all it requires is the ability to point and click.

#67 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• 1,567 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:25 AM

View PostDude42, on 29 May 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

Buy a CTF-3D or 733P(P for Poptart) and equip as many PPCs and gauss guns as it can hold. Win. That's the guide.

In short the entire OP could be replaced with the 3 words "Get a poptart" and it would literally get more new players more kills than any other advice, since all it requires is the ability to point and click.

I'll quote myself here:

View PostWaddeHaddeDudeda, on 20 May 2013 - 11:35 PM, said:

My guide > your guide.
If you're here to complain about the current meta of the game, please **** my lawn and do it one of the 84758394750392 other threads in this forum.

yours truly

#68 Augmenautus Rex

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

Wow I am pretty new and this answered so many of my questions. Thank you so much.

#69 El Maestro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 464 posts
  • LocationVleuten, Netherlands

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

All Hail to the awesome Wadde!! Amazng stuff!

(cant say this enough!)

#70 M1ster1

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

Yeah, a really good manual ;) Helped me a lot through my first two days of MW:O (which are not that far away :o). Thank's a lot for it!

One thing i did not find in it though was a proper description of the heat efficiency stat...i mean what it exactly indicates. But according to what i read in the forums this stat seems to be a cryptical one in general so :D

But apart from that: A really good manual!!! I also belong to those who preferred the game instructions written on paper :wacko:

greets,
M1ster1

#71 GrayMouser

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Been following along with the evolution of this game for quite a while, biding my time before I let it consume me completely. This guide wet my appetite a bit; a great read. Clear and consise; a wonderful compilation of pertinent information wrapped in an experienced pilots viewpoint.

My mech career spans more than a few decades, and this was worth the read to bring me up to speed. Of course, there is no substitute for piloting white knuckled in a cramped cockpit, but this will definitely give you a leg up against a pilot who hasn't had the opportunity to flip these pages.

#72 Kwah

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

I favor the ER PPC and aim for the legs. Couple of well placed hits and you can cripple your opponent and a few more blows the leg off and leave it for salvage. Table top version I liked the Madcat version of Heavy Mech but don't see it in the line up here.
It's a fast Mech and can carry a big payload from missiles to ER PPC or a AC20 that is deadly at close range.
Are there very many Senior pilots over 60 here?

#73 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

ZUP BROSMECHS!!!!!
I just down loaded the game on my lap top. I am going try it out some time tonight. I can wait!! I have been waiting for soooo long to play MW, try 8 years!!!
It's going to be ruff learning the keyboard and the next few months of dieing are not going to be easy but it's all fun!

24 hours later...It runs too slow on my lap top so I"ll have to wait until my new computer arrives.

Edited by FEK315, 09 June 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#74 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• 1,567 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

HA!
Your name rings a bell (from MW4 times).

Welcome to the show then! :)
(Also thanks to all the others and your kind words!!!)

#75 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

I know you want to provide beginners with solid builds in the "my first mech section" but come on, stop promoting PPC boating. The head buildup is too much for beginners (not to mention the TOTAL lack of CC power with 6 PPCs) to handle and we already got far too many PPC spam machines anyway. Beginners shouldn't be using more than 2 PPCs and should generally be pushed towards flexible machines so they can learn the game instead of telling them to use one sided over specialized builds.

Nice job otherwise, the guides c version helped me alot when I started playing.

PS: Schwabenpower :)

Edited by Ragnar Darkmane, 18 June 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#76 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:43 AM

In two weeks I will be hunting!!!!
My First purchased mech will be a Trebuche then a Black Jack then a Raven.
IN THAT ORDER!

I AM SOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I was a huge into the MW4, mostly I piloted Chimeras, Uziels, Fleas, Ullers and Ravens. I was a proud to be an Anklebitter.
One super fun mech was a 9 Flame thrower Wolfinstien. I had a squad of 4, we would just torch people to death! It was FUN!

#77 Fraktur

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

webpage is unavailable. :(

Is there a mirror link or something where I can get this?

#78 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• 1,567 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:12 AM

View PostFraktur, on 20 June 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

webpage is unavailable. :P

Is there a mirror link or something where I can get this?

Only if you stop liking your own posts. o_O

Just re-checked it again. It IS available.
Probably you have pop-ups blocked or running an addblocker? (I do run one but don't have problems to download the file with IE, Opera and Firefox.)
If you're running Windows 7 probably change your UAC settings?

Speaking of it: new version got released today - updated the link at the very first page (and yes, it's working).

View PostRagnar Darkmane, on 18 June 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

I know you want to provide beginners with solid builds in the "my first mech section" but come on, stop promoting PPC boating. The head buildup is too much for beginners (not to mention the TOTAL lack of CC power with 6 PPCs) to handle and we already got far too many PPC spam machines anyway. Beginners shouldn't be using more than 2 PPCs and should generally be pushed towards flexible machines so they can learn the game instead of telling them to use one sided over specialized builds.

Like it or not, but that's the current meta.
People are encouraged to try out things on their own - but usually they fail hard (and waste a lot of money during the process).
If 5 or 6 PPCs are running to hot they are entitled to change the config to their needs. But with the current state of the game it's hard to recommend anything else besides PPC/Gauss configs - at least if you're new to the game. don't have a plan what to do and still want to have some kind of success.

#79 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostWaddeHaddeDudeda, on 23 June 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

Only if you stop liking your own posts. o_O

Just re-checked it again. It IS available.
Probably you have pop-ups blocked or running an addblocker? (I do run one but don't have problems to download the file with IE, Opera and Firefox.)
If you're running Windows 7 probably change your UAC settings?

Speaking of it: new version got released today - updated the link at the very first page (and yes, it's working).

Like it or not, but that's the current meta.
People are encouraged to try out things on their own - but usually they fail hard (and waste a lot of money during the process).
If 5 or 6 PPCs are running to hot they are entitled to change the config to their needs. But with the current state of the game it's hard to recommend anything else besides PPC/Gauss configs - at least if you're new to the game. don't have a plan what to do and still want to have some kind of success.

The 6 PPC build still lacks CC power. If that beginner with his 6 PPC death machine gets into a brawl he could just as well disconnect right away. I'd replace it with a 2-3 (ER)PPC Stalker and some SSRM and MedLas.

#80 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• 1,567 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostRagnar Darkmane, on 23 June 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

The 6 PPC build still lacks CC power. If that beginner with his 6 PPC death machine gets into a brawl he could just as well disconnect right away. I'd replace it with a 2-3 (ER)PPC Stalker and some SSRM and MedLas.

I'm actually not suggesting 6 PPCs, rather than a mixture of 2 ERPPCs and 3 regular ones.
Besides it's just one out of four suggestions and there are literally billions of other (also good) configs out there.
A Stalker with a brawling setup is far from beginners friendly, at least within the current meta.
SRMs don't do anything at the moment + for a beginner it's fairly hard to move with brawling weapons into range with about 50ish kp/h on maps they don't know against other mechs with brutal long range weaponry.

Same reasons why "mixed" configs actually don't work.
They never have worked in any Mechwarrior game (online) and most likely never will.
You can't do much with your 2 LL while you're not in range for your AC 20 and SRMs, except getting pwned right into the face by other "specialized" configs.

Besides that: PPCs DO (sufficient) damage below 90 nmeters, so I don't really see the problem.

Edited by WaddeHaddeDudeda, 24 June 2013 - 10:58 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users