One Year Delay Before Clans Invasion: Yes Or No?

147 replies to this topic

Poll: Should PGI take some time for polishing MWO before Clans Invasion? (504 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you support game timeline suspended for one year?

1. Yes. (246 votes [48.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.81%

2. Voted No. (216 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. Abstain. (42 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Banshee Bullet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 431 posts
  • LocationUncomfortably Close

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Not a full year

The clans can come in the fall, that's fine. We need to prioritize some other **** right now. Finish one job before moving to the next and leaving everything half done

#42 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

No way! It's right around the corner, lets not roll it back a year.

#43 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Now would be too early IMO, but I don`T see a problem with Fall /winter /Early 2013, asl long as we eventually know it wiil actuall ebe coming.

#44 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

View PostZerberus, on 13 March 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

Now would be too early IMO, but I don`T see a problem with Fall /winter /Early 2013, asl long as we eventually know it wiil actuall ebe coming.
I doubt any of us will see it coming the way PGI has been handling things. If I were a betting trueborn I'd be willing to assume the delay on the current IS Mechs has been due to the upcoming invasion. A lot of them are very overdue. I honestly think since PGI had not said anything about a delay their progress in planning the invasion is on schedule also. I think this is a little too important to not say if they plan to delay.

Give it another month or two. And we shall begin the destruction of the IS. Erm I mean.. Damn those pirates!

#45 Righ

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

I've been thinking this exact same thing. I feel like they expected to have more done by now, and didn't want to start the timeline too far back in fear that people may lose interest before the Clans have a chance to come. I'd definitely say roll back the timeline about a year. Nothing too drastic has happened thus far, and I'd really want to have this game in full swing before the invasion so that we can all have the full experience.

#46 Jimskiavic

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationOn the 'Panoho'

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Unnecessary to stop the timeline unless their productivity has actually decreased significantly from how it's been.

A concept for how the Clans could be introduced (inspired/lifted from posts by others):
  • March - October 2013/3050: 'news of the Clans spreads through the IS, as does intel about their Mechs, tactics, background, etc'. i.e. concept art and gameplay details slowly revealed (could be written in a very fun, RP-like way from an IS perspective). But for us lowly MechWarriors, this is all distant news, and none of us are on the front-lines (i.e. we don't get any IS vs Clan battles).
  • Sometime* from November 2013/3050: the Clans launch as playable. Battles are restricted to Clan vs Clan, and IS vs IS (conveniently allowing more time to work out balancing issues). There could be the occasional special event weekend where there's some 'minor raids between IS and Clan forces', allowing some IS vs Clan battles to help with balance testing (and if it doesn't match how Clan vs IS battles end up looking like, well it's just because 'it was all those rubbish non-Bloodnamed warriors doing the fighting').
  • November 2014/3051: the invasion resumes, and Clan vs IS battles become an option (with everyone having had plenty of time to build up their XP and CW).

#47 Jibrail

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 19 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

IS have Clan tech from Wolf Dragoon. PGI can take this tech from IS gamers.
Sorry , for this english :(
Общая идея такова:
1.Создать в дереве развития пилотов навык "клановое оборудование"
2.Выдать технологические аналоги кланового оборудования в мехлабе.
3.Непосредственно роботов кланов для Внутренней Сферы вводить позднее и частично.
4.Ввести специальные типы матчей "Clan VS Clan", " Clan VS IS","IS VS IS" с соответствующими балансировками.

Пусть будет не совсем соответствовать легенде вселенной,но будет возможность балансировки разницы в экипировке.К тому же данная схема не вызовет обширное переселение игроков из IS в Кланы.

#48 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

I will kindly help with translation

View PostJibrail, on 13 March 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

IS have Clan tech from Wolf Dragoon. PGI can take this tech from IS gamers.
Sorry , for this english :(
Общая идея такова:
1.Создать в дереве развития пилотов навык "клановое оборудование"
2.Выдать технологические аналоги кланового оборудования в мехлабе.
3.Непосредственно роботов кланов для Внутренней Сферы вводить позднее и частично.
4.Ввести специальные типы матчей "Clan VS Clan", " Clan VS IS","IS VS IS" с соответствующими балансировками.

Пусть будет не совсем соответствовать легенде вселенной,но будет возможность балансировки разницы в экипировке.К тому же данная схема не вызовет обширное переселение игроков из IS в Кланы.

General idea is:
  • Add 'Clan Tech' skill tree to the Pilot's skills
  • Add IS analogue of Clan Tech (???)
  • Clan Mechs to be added later and partially (???)
  • Add preset matches "Clan VS Clan", " Clan VS IS","IS VS IS" (didn't get about balancing)
That scheme has no common with BT lore, but will be useful for game balance in both tech and population aspects.

I don't agree with suggestion, it's all about Tech, hopefully PGI will find another way to balance between BT lore and tough reality, without great sacrifice of Clans spirit I mean.

Edited by Featherwood, 14 March 2013 - 01:01 AM.

#49 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

It's really hard to have an opinion without knowing where PGI is at and what their plans were/are.

#50 Corwin Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 631 posts
  • LocationChateau, Clan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

I do not know if I can continue this mindless grind for another year waiting for my Clan tech. Things need to change and Clan tech is a change.

#51 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostCorwin Vickers, on 14 March 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

I do not know if I can continue this mindless grind for another year waiting for my Clan tech. Things need to change and Clan tech is a change.

Community Warfare is optimal change so far, I'd say. I'd prefer to see faction warfare tuned and balanced before Clans added.

#52 PaintedWolf

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:16 AM

View PostDemona, on 14 March 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

It's really hard to have an opinion without knowing where PGI is at and what their plans were/are.

Then let us go by what we do know:

1) They are still having balance problems, even with only a fraction of the equipment and Mechs available in the Battletech Universe. And this is just IS vs IS. 2) They have not yet added Community Warfare and barely have Information Warfare going, also two big hurdles. 3) Despite all my analysis, I have no idea how they are honestly going to distinguish between OmniMechs and regular BattleMechs. 4) They have not yet even tested consumables. Note I am fine with consumables, but they will need to tweak and balance. 5) Planetary Warfare will itself be a chore.

This is too much work. Now some players THEN want to add an entire new set of factions, entire new balancing mechanics, an entire new mech type, a completely alien culture and an equally alien technology?

This is like trying to run a fast-food restuarant that recently opened and can barely manage a menu with 12 items, and the next day demanding they now handle 24, and btw the new items consist of sea food, and btw the original menu is now going to include delivery, internet pre-orders, and 24/hour samplers.

Or a coal plant that is barely operating, and then adding a new "Nuclear Reactor" section.

If they over-stretch the entire project is in danger of falling apart. This is the first Mechwarrior game to come about in almost 10 years, I'd prefer not to make crazy gambits just to appease the most impatient people on earth who will be the first to jump ship whenever the slightest inconvenience arises.

I want a quality product. I also want the Inner Sphere fleshed out in full, just like the Table Top game had before Clans are added because it will be much, much easier. Balancing the Clans against an already existing Inner Sphere gives them a dozen more options then balancing the Clans against an Inner Sphere which does not really exist. It makes the whole thing that much cooler when the Clans DO enter the frey of these already warring barbaric Successor States.

Keep in mind, yes mistakes can be corrected on the way, but these mistakes may incur costs, and these costs may add up. The developers may end up spending so much time correcting every little mistake they end up with zero time actually adding new content. Eventually, this will result in player losses, feelings of grief from players who have spent money on it, too little resources to deal with cheaters/hackers, and being out-competed by rival companies themselves with much easier tasks of developing their own simplistic free-to-play MMOs, with their own MUCH more direct hypocrisies in their pay-2-win formulas never called out (I almost never see players on other f2p forums making the complaints that they are not "really" free to play like I do here- even when the games cost hundreds of dollars for a player to be competitive. )

#53 PaintedWolf

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

Last, bear in mind that one way to distinguish between OmniMechs and Standard is to remove Hardpoints from Omnis, which will result in "crazy boating". What a lot of players don't know is that crazy boating did not occur in Battletech for two three reasons: 1- Weapons and Equipment were limited by far more restrictive economies in Battletech. Companies had patents, ammunition was not as plentiful, etc. 2- Combined Arms- You needed those MGs or Flamers in case of enemy infantry, you needed those lasers so you did not waste your precious ammo on small vehicles or Elementals. 3- The 3rd and 4th Succession Wars were marked by small numbers holding vast territories, often times relying on salvaged equipment. You needed generalists in these situations because you would have to take on greater numbers of small vehicles and foot soldiers with a small number of generally scattered Mechs. If you have an entire Regiment, you can afford to have a Company of specialized Missile Boats, a Company of Infantry Killers, a Company of All-Energy Workhorses, rotating and positioning them as need be. When all you have is a Lance to guard and keep a planet, you need Mechs with mixed weapons so that they can deal with anything that comes along and you can more easily deal with the loss of a Mech.

In MW Online where you only face Mechs, and numbers are technically endless (not per engagement but meta-game) and all tech/equipment is available and ammo never runs out (again meta-game) Boating is king. When all you will ever face is tanks, you can boat all your tanks and infantry with nothing but anti-tank guns and expect an easy win.

Edited by PaintedWolf, 15 March 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#54 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostSyllogy, on 12 March 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

How about we see how they are planning to launch before we fly off the handle screaming "Delay! Delay! We must Delay!"

You were also demanding that unless Canon states that a Mech had a weapon equipped, then it should NEVER be able to be equipped.

I did not demand, but I did express what I think should be in effect vis-a-vis hardpoints/mountings and I stick by it. AND, that was less than four months ago, AND it is not germane to when the Clans are being brought in. Demands by individual players or internet forums posters seldom, if ever supported.

#55 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

@ PaintedWolf. I see the point you're trying to make but the simple fact of the matter is PGI have comitted to doing this in canon. Dedicated Clanners aren't going to go, "Oh, okay, I'll just wait another year for it to come out." Especially not those who have waited a long time for it already.

The underlying issue with putting things off for extended periods, no matter the isssue, is that you will lose chunks of the player base who just get fed up with progress and I doubt too many people witll turn around a year later and go, "Oh, I wonder what ever happened to that MW game."

It's alike a double-edged sword really. Delay you lose playerbase. Stay on schedule you risk messing something up. At least the latter can be fixed. You can't patch a missing player.

#56 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

View PostFeatherwood, on 14 March 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

Community Warfare is optimal change so far, I'd say. I'd prefer to see faction warfare tuned and balanced before Clans added.

I want Clans added now, and community warfare and balanced adjusted as time goes on.

#57 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostPando, on 16 March 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

I want Clans added now, and community warfare and balanced adjusted as time goes on.

Balance is the thing I'm worried about the least and I don't see it as a major problem like others do in the first place.

#58 Koshirou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 827 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

As far as I'm concerned, they can call off the whole thing...

#59 SmokinDave73

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz, Outer Sphere Periphery

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

This thread is a little outdated now, Bryan Ekman himself has stated Community warfare will start in June/July And Clan's are to follow people just need a little patcients for a few months not a whole year even PGI are not that slow..

Edited by SmokinDave73, 18 March 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#60 PaintedWolf

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostKelesK, on 16 March 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

@ PaintedWolf. I see the point you're trying to make but the simple fact of the matter is PGI have comitted to doing this in canon. Dedicated Clanners aren't going to go, "Oh, okay, I'll just wait another year for it to come out." Especially not those who have waited a long time for it already.

The underlying issue with putting things off for extended periods, no matter the isssue, is that you will lose chunks of the player base who just get fed up with progress and I doubt too many people witll turn around a year later and go, "Oh, I wonder what ever happened to that MW game."

It's alike a double-edged sword really. Delay you lose playerbase. Stay on schedule you risk messing something up. At least the latter can be fixed. You can't patch a missing player.

11 month delay.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users