Alpine - Feedback

57 replies to this topic

#1 Teralitha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Its been awhile and I have played it several times and others have too so I think now we could get some good feedback on this new map.

My first reaction to alpine was that it brought back MW4 nostalgia. But after awhile some things about it I began to find annoying.

The slant of the land to me is unappealing. While it does look realistic the general angle of the landscape is unappealing for mech combat.

The super huge high peaks. I find that it is hard to shoot at mechs because of the limited torso firing range up and down whether Im the one sitting on the peak or shooting at someone else who is unless you are at long range. Or if your trying to fight someone on the side of a mountain, you find that its near impossible to see them unless you are on the same level. Although arm weapons can still reach them, you sometimes cannot literally "see" the mech at the angles from you they are and have to just guess.

I consider Alpine an extreme range map, not a long range map. Made for those 1000+ meter weaponry. I think the map would be better if it was flattened out a bit. The land is just a bit steep for mechs, and even if you dont change alpine, you should keep this in mind when designing future maps.

Edited by Teralitha, 14 March 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#2 Serapth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

I hate the map for a number of reasons, mostly technical.

View distance is broken, I can get shot at by invisible mechs sometimes, while other times it will draw the mech I am shooting at, but unfortunately, not the terrain that he is hiding behind.

The physics are arbitrary in this game, but Alpine takes it to new extremes. I can no longer climb the entrance to the cave on Frozen City, but I can walk up an 80 degree slope... until I cant anymore, then I fall pretty much at random.

Its too big for 8v8 or 15 minutes, on top, most of the room is absolutely useless anyways.

It's ugly, pretty boring and has no real character. It felt rushed and meh at best.

The complete lack of cover. No cover but hills, sometimes hills will stop LRMs, other times, even without line of sight and the fact you are running at a 90 degree angle to where you were, you still get hit by the 60+ LRM swarms coming in.

Artemis + LRM splash damage is broken right now, and it shows up worst on Alpine due to the lack of cover.

Frankly, I hate this map.

Edited by Serapth, 14 March 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#3 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

Go to advanced options and increase object detail to the maximum. This should allow you to see everything far away

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

So funny that you can travel the same speed while climbing an 80 degree incline. So stupid.

Hills are suppose to slow your speed down considerably, the steeper it is. MW4 had implemented it, but it is not yet here in MWO.

Edited by El Bandito, 14 March 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#5 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

View PostTeralitha, on 14 March 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

Go to advanced options and increase object detail to the maximum. This should allow you to see everything far away

Done that, even tried doing it in User.cfg, still broken at ranges over about 1500m. Although I can often see a pair of Catapult missile bay doors floating in space.

#6 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

It is pretty funny seeing PPCs just materialize in midair because you are too far from the enemy mech to see it.

Remember Caustic was pretty empty when it first came out too. I am sure there will be more refinements added to it over the next few weeks/months.

#7 FrostCollar

• 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Alpine makes me wish I could rip out some of those monitors in some cockpits. It feels pretty stupid when I try to decline my arms down to aim at targets far below me only to find stuff in the cockpit blocking my view.

Alpine assault on the whole, however, is OK. It needs 12v12 but I've had some fun there if I'm playing with friends. Otherwise, the larger map means that teams can spread out more. The consequences of poor team play are exacerbated and sometimes you can see your team fold due to a few people wandering off and getting annihilated.

However, Alpine conquest is very rarely fun. The map's so big that you cannot flip enemy points unless you're the fastest of mechs. I've been on teams that have won games that were 2 versus 6 simply because lights are impossible to catch on the map, especially if they have ECM. That's pretty ridiculous.

Edited by FrostCollar, 14 March 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#8 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

I liked Apline more when I didn't know the terrain and every match didn't end up being fought in the same location.
I think forest colony is my favorite, for a smallish map it offers a lot of varriety, especially now that there is a ship in the water.

#9 Serapth

• 1,674 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostFrostCollar, on 14 March 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

Alpine makes me wish I could rip out some of those monitors in some cockpits. It feels pretty stupid when I try to decline my arms down to aim at targets far below me only to find bit of stuff in the cockpit blocking my view.

Alpine assault on the whole, however, is OK. It needs 12v12 but I've had some fun there if I'm playing with friends. Otherwise, the larger map means that teams can spread out more. The consequences of poor team play are exacerbated and sometimes you can see your team fold due to a few people wandering off and getting annihilated.

However, Alpine conquest is very rarely fun. The map's so big that you cannot flip enemy points unless you're the fastest of mechs. I've been on teams that have won games that were 2 versus 6 simply because lights are impossible to catch on the map, especially if they have ECM. That's pretty ridiculous.

Alpine is the map that finally made me just turn of Conquest all the time. The mode was bad enough before, but on Alpine, its the definition of not fun.

#10 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

My only real beef with Alpine is that mechs can traverse wayyyy too easily on the ridiculous slopes.
I enjoy that it is ranged/expansive, with very different altitudes.
I like that you can actually *use* terrain to your advantage on a strategic level on that map.

If they actually fixed the 70* slope walking, then the Assault mechs would actually have to deal with the inevitable mobility loss of being giant and heavy. JJ's would be relevant, LRMS would have their place again (if they fix ECM) and movement would be strategic, not just tactical.

#11 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

The only thing that I find lacking about is vegatation, structures, snow drifts etc. I agree with the climbing complaint too. I can't climb that not so steep hill on Forest Colony snow but I can rock climb on Alpine. In the end it feels like there is no reason for us to fight on that piece of land. Just bring in some props to liven it abit. All that aside its not a terrible map. I dont usually play ranged mechs and find it fun.

#12 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

Your feedback is proof that Alpine is working as intended, they wanted you to feel those challenges! I think it feels good, 'don it?

#13 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

It's a great map, the first one actually fitting for this game. But sadly it needs the Conquest points greatly slowed down and the Assault bases removed entirely.(Or you could release a TDM mode already)

#14 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Definetely Agree with the Cap length increase.
ELO forced me into a game wtih all heavy and assault on Alpine Conquest We knew we lost instantly....

I also completely agree with the mech speed on slopes, it's silly that an Atlas with 70kph can go up 45-Degree slopes like there was little to no gravity. But I also believe that Mech weight should determine how much grip your mech has on slopes.

Finally, I'd like to see Blizzard conditions, and snow drifts where mechs get bogged down in, But Not Trapped.
It's funny you see snow and sounds like snow but it treads like Ice ;)
Maybe a movement penalty for Giant mechs moving in said Feet of Snow

I know It's supposed to be above the Tree line but maybe some crazy snow drifts or mech started landslides would be cool

IDK

Edited by Timuroslav, 14 March 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#15 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostM4NTiC0R3X, on 14 March 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

Your feedback is proof that Alpine is working as intended, they wanted you to feel those challenges! I think it feels good, 'don it?

They over did it.

#16 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

The hills and you're ability to fall without every falling over, or climb up huge angles, is an issue the map has. They still haven't put collision back in. It'd make more sense if you actually fell 500m and your Mech fell to its face afterwards.

#17 xDeityx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostSerapth, on 14 March 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

Done that, even tried doing it in User.cfg, still broken at ranges over about 1500m. Although I can often see a pair of Catapult missile bay doors floating in space.

I had the same problem until I reinstalled. That fixed it. I also used to run on lower settings until I realized that Very High offers almost no difference in FPS, so I jacked my settings up and have been happy with the results.

#18 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

Alpine is awesome. the only problem with alpine is that the western team has a significantly improved start position that gives them a heavy advantage over the other teams spawn position and the tactical options available to them.

#19 Dennis de Koning

Art Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 118 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

We are currently working on slope degree limitation and relative ascension speed.
Once these fixes are made, the game-play will be effected quite a bit as access to steep-sloped peaks will be slowed, limited or cut off for many (or all) 'Mechs.
Have patience young Grasshoppers, we hear you.

#20 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

Terrain having an effect on speed is planned. I'm sure there will be changes on the map, including starting areas like they did with Caustic if necessary.

TDM because watching an Atlas try to hunt down a Commando on Alpine will be so much fun. ;)

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users