Mouse + Keyboard vs. Joystick (Advantage: Mouse?)

109 replies to this topic

#1 Vampyr

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hi All,

Based on the in-game footage we have seen, do you think mouse + keyboard players will have an advantage over joystick players?

Why or why not? Interested in hearing peoples thoughts.

Thank you.

#2 Steel Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Locationgood old Germany

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

It depends on what you are used to. It's that simple.

#3 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Mouse and Keyboard will be better than a joystick. Joystick to me is more for that immersion factor, we will see though. I have always just played with mouse and keyboard since MW2.

#4 Raalic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 483 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Players will generally do better within their comfort zones. Joysticks can be calibrated to have similar sensitivity and accuracy to mice. I haven't used a joystick in 12 years, so aiming would be a major issue for me.

#5 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Mouse will always be more accurate when firing your weapons.
You use the keyboard everyday so finding each key without looking or making a mistake is natural, but a joystick won't feel so natural since you don't necessarily use it everyday.

#6 MadBoris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

Why would there be advantages?
That would be a huge mistake on the part of the devs?
If the developers were to make the mouse move faster than the joystick that would ruin the joystick completely.

For this game especially, I say FF joystick is required.
Only people that never used them for this game style, or don't play for immersion, would not understand.
It has to be experienced.

A properly configured joystick goes a long way.

Edited by MadBoris, 31 May 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#7 Vampyr

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

I plan on using a Joystick personally. It just "feels" right to me when playing a mech game, but I think I get more accuracy from the mouse + keyboard, so I honestly feel like choosing to go the joystick route might put me at a disadvantage in-game.

I feel the same way when trying to play console first person shooters with a game controller compared to PC first person shooters with a mouse. I just find the mouse + keyboard combo way more accurate.

It won't make me abandon a joystick, though.

#8 Namwons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 546 posts
  • LocationFactory, Solaris VII

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

i dont think its going to matter. you will be limited by the speed of your torso servo speeds i think. even the fastest mouse in an assault mech is going to turn slow. it will be fine

#9 JJBussey

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 52 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

Personaly, i belive that the mouse will improve turning control, but the joystick will help emerse yourself in the game, and will most likely help you have better accuracy than the jittery mouse

#10 UncleKulikov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 752 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

With a joystick you don't have to lift the mouse and reposition for extreme turning.

I use a Joystick and Keyboard.

#11 Rodney28021

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationRural Western North Carolina

i am dusting off my Saitek joystick and throttle set for this one but i can try mouse and Razor nostromo pad

#12 Darcsyde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Wonder how many went all the way and used peddals for directional jumping in the previous mw games? :)

#13 Steel Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Locationgood old Germany

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

I've played MW-Games and especially MW4 always with a joystick and i couldn't find any difference between my accuracy and that of a player who aimed with a mouse.

To say it again: It depends on what you are used to. I don't think that from dev-side either of the 2 control methods will have an advantage over the other.

#14 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

Generally this is how I see it. Mouse lets you snap shoot, joy stick gives you more precision. Over the last 12 years though the lines blur more and more, gaming mouse today are not only fast, but smooth and precise. I think it's just personal preference really.

#15 MadBoris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

I used to play Quake and UT FPS's with a joystick and did some awesome **** in the day!
Why? Because I was using it for a lot of other games at the time and became really skilful with the sidewinder joystick.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bad with a mouse I'm great with a mouse and play fps's with it and worked on PC's for decades.

I think their is a lot to be said what controller you choose to become skillful at:
Rollerball, mouse, 360 controller, joystick.

In an FPS I'd say mouse/key is king but in this game movement will be limited by statistics, so you can't just move/turn fast.
The joystick buttons is better than a keyboard to me though.
As far as immersion goes, as far as dark is from light

Edited by MadBoris, 31 May 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#16 Xenodraken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCanada - no not in an igloo O.o

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

Torso speed its the big one here im sure. Which seems to be slower then a mouse or joystick. Preference will rule.. as it should :) I'm going with some stick combo when i get the details on what will work with the game. Hell i have an old steel battalion rig sitting in its original box even.. but i think im goin either twin sticks or Hotas.. likely the x52 but im not sure yet.

#17 Zack Delphirian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

You think it will be possible to move your legs with the joystick and aim with the mouse ?
Like it was the case in Heavy Gear 2 where you have the Joystick for the legs in the left hand, the mouse for the aiming/torso in the right hand, and the keyboard in the middle to push all the fancy buttons needed.

No matter what, I think I'll still go the joystick way, it's just a matter of immersion, skill-level is not that important to me (up to a point...)

#18 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

Joystick is probably better if you can adjust sensitivity and deadzone on it. So far missiles don't seem to require reticle contact to aquire targets though they track better with it. That's the only time the steadiness of a mouse might confer greater advantage.

'Mechs have 4 axii. Yaw, Pitch, Rotation, Speed. A Joystick can handle those pretty effortlessly once you get used to it leaving you free to aim, fire, or employ a tactic. If you are in a smaller mech, you circle-strafe, bigger mech you back away and turn to target.

Now I have seen some good pilots use a joystick in their offhand and a mouse for pitch and rotation. They were very accurate, but not invincible.

#19 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Ugh. Personally hate mouse and keyboard. I'll take a joystick anytime.

#20 Maurice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationEasthampton Ma.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Not sure yet have not played with the stick long so i think ill tri bothj to see whos better

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users