Jagermech - Effective Builds

435 replies to this topic

#101 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:20 AM

God why do people take dual AC/20 and gauss builds. I always find these builds to ruin the game.......Ever since the first days of this game with gausscats...

#102 Kaylos Thex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

Actually I find the Catapult A1 with SRMs and the Raven 3L with SSRMs to be the worst fun killers.

Them and teams of lights who just base cap.

#103 Sh4dow78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

i think this might be nice:
JM6-A - Atlas like :(

#104 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:17 AM

I've noticed people having success with dual AC20 or GR builds. They can't absorb a lot of damage, but sure can dish it.

#105 Sh4dow78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

idk but i dont like dual AC 20 on this mech.... ppl most of time use XL with this setup and his torso is so damn HUGE its easy to kill this mech, and if ppl see u have dual ac20 u will be focused pretty fast and also die fast... i played some game with my setup above and i can say its pretty good. U are fast with nice punch heat its not a problem ammo enought what u want more ?

#106 GDFan

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

I have been playing with various set ups with my JM6-A and this is what I am currently using.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2a9d5ea3f772cf9

XL-280 with 1 heatsink(double)
69.8 KPH
Endo-Steel
Armor 400/422 (legs have 49/60 each)
Weapons:
  • 2 - AC10s with 4 tons of Ammo
  • 2 - Streak SRM2s with 1 ton of Ammo
  • 2 - Med Lasers for Pew Pew

good speed, medium range weapons, I support the Assaults and plug away when I get a clear shot.
Streaks are good at keeping the lights off my back.
I may drop the extra heatsink for another ton of Ammo since it runs pretty cool

Edited by GDFan, 24 March 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#107 Pay Day

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

I've tried some XL engine builds in this mech and I can't justify it. This mech is all side torso! What does this mech do better than a Catapult can or that an extra 5 tons in a Cataphract would do? Is it just having the ballistics above your head?

Also, for anyone putting 3 AC2s on one arm, or one weapon group for that matter, don't put all 3 in chain fire. You get the same amount of fire with just 2.

#108 GDFan

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

One thing this Mech can do better then the Phract is AC20s in the arms. The actuators get in the way on the Phract.

Edited by GDFan, 24 March 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#109 Lucian Nostra

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostPay Day, on 24 March 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

I've tried some XL engine builds in this mech and I can't justify it. This mech is all side torso! What does this mech do better than a Catapult can or that an extra 5 tons in a Cataphract would do? Is it just having the ballistics above your head?

Also, for anyone putting 3 AC2s on one arm, or one weapon group for that matter, don't put all 3 in chain fire. You get the same amount of fire with just 2.

it's not JUST having them up high it's having them up high. the Cataphract while trying to employe it's multi ac's needs to expose practically it's entire body the arms are slung fairly low and it's pretty wide as well.

The Jager with it's higher mountings lets it expose less WHILE also increasing how quickly it can retreat back down off a hill crest.

it's a much larger advantage than your giving it credit for. The Cata still remains a great mech though which is a plus as I like em both.

#110 Giovianni Shuzen

Rookie

• Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

I use this for laughs every so often when I start to get way too serious

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...774d83b187ddc4d

#111 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

View PostScarface1978, on 24 March 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

idk but i dont like dual AC 20 on this mech.... ppl most of time use XL with this setup and his torso is so damn HUGE its easy to kill this mech, and if ppl see u have dual ac20 u will be focused pretty fast and also die fast... i played some game with my setup above and i can say its pretty good. U are fast with nice punch heat its not a problem ammo enought what u want more ?

I agree. The side torso is rather large and I'll often lose my medium lasers before my AC takes a hit. When ever I see an AC20 Jager coming my way I start pumping AC10 rounds into it's side torso from range and it's not too long before the mech falls silent..... That is as long as they don't get the jump on me. That's when we have a problem.

#112 Kiryn

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

I'm not a big fan of the Dual AC20 build but the Dual Guass I've been running regularly, having the dual guass in the arms lets you use some of those high perch spots in Tourmaline effectively. It's often interesting watching people try to shoot back but can't get all their weapons to bear so you just simply outgun them. It's also effective for brawling if you time it right or go in when the enemy is engaged on another target.

I played around with the stock builds and a quad ac5 build on the S and 6 ac2 build on the DD. Neither of them I cared for much, I feel a cataphract is a far superior brawler and the Jagermech should be utilized for med/long range support. The only thing I'm sad about is my Jagermech has seemed to made my K2 obsolete. K2 has a better torso twist but firepower is better on the Jagermech. The cockpit on both the K2 and Jager are too easy of a target for either to be an effective brawler. I got cockpitted 3 matches in a row yesterday when I was playing with the dual AC20 build while moving at full speed. Maybe they'll fix that eventually, but the K2 has the same problem and they haven't fixed it.

#113 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

I got a JM6-A the other day, mainly because of the potential offered by the 4 missile hardpoints. It was a tough decision between that and getting a JM6-S with the old school cool Rifleman arms. I've been playing Battletech since the 80's, so I have a certain fondness for some of the old designs.

Anyways, the JM6-A stock is really, really a tough mech to play. The heat management alone is terrible! Don't even get me started on the rear torso armor. All this is pretty well documented, so I won't add onto those complaints. My slow path towards an improved build has taken awhile, since I don't have $ to spend on this game. My upgrades are paid for by grinding. Things like XL engines, at a cost of $4,000,000+, are not in the cards for me.

After some mucking about, my current build goes something like:

JM6-A
Stock engine
Endo structure
Ferro Armor

1 AC/2 + 1 T ammo (75 rnds)
1 AC/5 + 2 T ammo (60 rnds)
3 SSRM/2 + 1 T ammo (100 rnds / 16 full salvos)
2 ML
1 AMS + 1 T ammo

2 tons of extra armor allocated (at least half of that to rear armor and arms!)
3-4 extra HS

I don't have MWO up in front of me, so this is all approx. You get the picture, though!

--------------------------------

I've only played two matches with it, but so far I like it well enough. The AC/2 gives me the range and rate of fire to harass the crap out of other mechs at longer reaches. From the mid-long range the combo of the AC/2 and AC/5 gives a good combination of punch and harassment. When things get closer the SSRM-2's let me deliver some kind of consistent damage even when the opposing mech is dancing around. Given the JM6's terrible maneuverability (it's like piloting a rhino!) that's pretty important. The ML's help a little at mid-close range, and give me SOMETHING for when the ammo runs out.

JM6's aren't really durable, so I pretty much look to get as many rounds downrange at the enemy as I can as fast as I can before someone puts a couple of LRM-15 salvos through my cockpit. :P

The other version of this I played that I liked had 3 LRM-5's and 1T ammo (180 rounds) in place of the SSRM-2's. The little LRM's recycle really quickly! 3 of them can pump out 15 rounds a pop for 12 salvos before running dry. Again, given the JM6's short life expectancy, I was going for output and reach. With this variant I've also used a pair of AC/2's with 2-3 T of ammo instead of the AC/2 and AC/5 combo. That allows me to run another ton of LRM ammo if I want to.

The AMS is a recent addition. I may keep it, I may not. As long as I play smart, work with my team, keep under cover, it's not that much of a help. We'll see. The 1.5T of space could be useful in other places, like armor and/or AC ammo.

Side note: I'm not 100% sold on the effectiveness of LRM's as a whole without an Artemis unit. My TBT damage per battle went way, way up once I put an Artemis on it. Until I bite the, uh, LRM, and install one on the JM6-A, I'll probably keep the SSRM-2's for more guaranteed damage.

Anyways, that's my low $, not very skilled player, MWO JM6-A build. It's been an interesting mech to build up and play, for sure!

(But, man, do I wish we had the LCT, MAD, RFL, WHM and TDR's to play with!! :wub: )

#114 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPort Torture, Washington, USA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

Do any of you have suggestions for a brawl buildup, I'm running a JM6-S...

Currently its running at 77.2kph with 416 pts of armor.
4mg, 4ml, I run with the mediums and nuke the lights quick, its fun, but cant hold up well against larger than a medium, any thoughts?

#115 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

I'm running mine with 4xMLas, 2xAC10 (4t ammo) and 2xMGun (1t ammo, obviously). It actually perfectly fills all my critical slots and I've maxed armour everywhere but legs. I previously ran without the machine guns but decided to put them on for a laugh as I was only going to lose some leg armour and a heat sink. So far I've actually killed two people with them as they make a good transitional weapon between lasers and ACs when I'm running hot.

#116 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostUminix, on 25 March 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

Do any of you have suggestions for a brawl buildup, I'm running a JM6-S...

Currently its running at 77.2kph with 416 pts of armor.
4mg, 4ml, I run with the mediums and nuke the lights quick, its fun, but cant hold up well against larger than a medium, any thoughts?

Well you may find that shoving a gigantic engine in there really doesn't leave you with enough room to be effective at crushing heavies, because you've traded that firepower for speed (which may or may not be a bad thing). That said I can only guess as to where your tonnage has been spent so I could be quite wrong.

Something to consider about the Jager is that when you're building one, it really is all about the arms. It's nice having backup weapons in the torsos but they don't have nearly the range of vertical motion that the arms do, so you might want to look into utilizing those a bit more - popular builds seem to include all manner of ACs (except AC2s - although fun, they're crap and don't let anyone convince you otherwise) or SRM6/SSRM in the arms. I'd personally steer clear of Gauss Rifles because they leave you with too little tonnage for any sort of backup weapon. Even dual AC20s give you two tons for medium lasers.

[edit]

Re-read your post and saw 'brawler' so I'm assuming you aren't running an XL, which is where the tonnage went. The A might make a better brawler because you can stick SRMs in the arms. Otherwise like I said, it's about the arms and it's hard as nails to stick anything significant in those with a STD engine.

Edited by RickySpanish, 25 March 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#117 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 25 March 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

Something to consider about the Jager is that when you're building one, it really is all about the arms. It's nice having backup weapons in the torsos but they don't have nearly the range of vertical motion that the arms do, so you might want to look into utilizing those a bit more - popular builds seem to include all manner of ACs (except AC2s - although fun, they're crap and don't let anyone convince you otherwise) or SRM6/SSRM in the arms. I'd personally steer clear of Gauss Rifles because they leave you with too little tonnage for any sort of backup weapon. Even dual AC20s give you two tons for medium lasers.

Hey now! I resemble that (AC/2) remark! :P

As a small defense, they have a ridiculous range, really high rate of fire and don't f*cking jam like the bloody AC/5's do. So I wouldn't say they are completely useless. With that said, I wouldn't call them a weapon for straight up killing, either, although I have gotten a few kills here and there with them. AC/2's a really good weapons to harass the enemy at long ranges, forcing them to stay under cover and moving. If someone is silly enough to stay still when I have a pair of AC'2 on them, they'll lose a nice % of their armor pretty quickly. OK, shutting up on that now!

I'd agree with SRM's and big AC's (like the 20's or LBX's) for "brawler" JM6 builds. I'd like to try a LBX build, myself. The shotgun effect could help offset the JM6's terrible lack of agility, making the most of those short windows when you can actually get a bead on a light or medium mech in close range battle.

#118 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPort Torture, Washington, USA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

great ideas thanks, and I had 4 ac2 on it at one time also, that just plain ****** people off because all they seem to do is shake the cockpit enough to throw off their aim... LoLz...

Well, the Jager is the next one I'm going to do mastery on, so like 15mil credits here I come.... Thank the Alpha and Closed Beta Testers and PGI/IGP for the hero mechs... 15mil is nothing.,... LoLz

#119 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Why fix it if It ain't Broke?

One arm on fire group one, the other on two, and stagger fire them. The AC2s are near constant and the AC5s fill in the gaps for this rain of fire - It'll strip the armour off an Atlas pretty quick. Everyone seems to go for damage all at once, where this is sitting on a ridge chewing them up.

Averages about 650 damage a match, By the Way.

#120 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostCavale, on 25 March 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

Why fix it if It ain't Broke?

One arm on fire group one, the other on two, and stagger fire them. The AC2s are near constant and the AC5s fill in the gaps for this rain of fire - It'll strip the armour off an Atlas pretty quick. Everyone seems to go for damage all at once, where this is sitting on a ridge chewing them up.

Averages about 650 damage a match, By the Way.

I can see that, once I get a JM6-S, for sure!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users