Build A Trial Mech - Heavy Edition Poll!

187 replies to this topic

Poll: Stuff! (1959 member(s) have cast votes)

asdasd

1. CPLT-A1 - Darth Mech (64 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

2. CPLT-C1 - Yami Keros (65 votes [3.32%])

Percentage of vote: 3.32%

3. CPLT-C4 - Cygolinos (53 votes [2.71%])

Percentage of vote: 2.71%

4. CPLT-K2 - DoctorVishnevski (84 votes [4.29%])

Percentage of vote: 4.29%

5. DRG-1C - Thragen (186 votes [9.49%])

Percentage of vote: 9.49%

6. DRN-1N - Sigmund Floyd (79 votes [4.03%])

Percentage of vote: 4.03%

7. DRG-5N - Phorashi (587 votes [29.96%])

Percentage of vote: 29.96%

8. CTF-1X - Omigir (58 votes [2.96%])

Percentage of vote: 2.96%

9. CTF-2X - Apostal (65 votes [3.32%])

Percentage of vote: 3.32%

10. CTF-3D - Aginato (154 votes [7.86%])

Percentage of vote: 7.86%

11. CTF-4X - Selfish (564 votes [28.79%])

Percentage of vote: 28.79%

Vote

#41 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

View PostNgamok, on 22 March 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

Having streaks on builds really isn't bad. On my Dragon Flame and Cataphract 2X and Trebuchet 7K I have them to supplement my lasers for when those light strfe me and no ECM is around.

Sure, but we're talking about newbies. Just imagine how they freak out when an ECM light shows up. Heck, imagine when they find an ECM Atlas. It's like keeping the safety on forever on a gun. That's what ECM in its current state happens to be with the interaction between Streaks and ECM.

View PostStalaggtIKE, on 22 March 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

Exactly how I feel. This build is great..., for a 4x. I could pilot this build to victory, but I have experience and work with my team. However I believe a lot of the voters are forgetting that this is a trial mech for "newbs." In other words they're not going to follow an Atlas around and support their team. Instead their going to run off and attempt a solo cave rush. Basically they're going to die repeatedly, get frustrated and probably leave. On the bright side, if they stick through this, they would have learned an invaluable lesson.

The key thing to learn about cooling down is that you almost always use the ballistic weapon when you are nearing that overheat range. Missiles tend to be a good alternative, but not the first weapon of choice (unless, they are literally your secondary weapon on a Raven 3L).

The slow engine on a 4X will force the newbie to keep with the pack.

This could be a sad truth... if I really wanted to, I could actually point out why on each and every mech outside of the current favorite why they are really bad, and rebuild each and every mech (if possible). However, for the purposes of not biasing the poll further, I will not do that. I sincerely hope though these other selections get their cfg "revised" in more favorable terms before even being released into the trial lab.

I don't want newbies to leave this game so easily because poor trial mechs got in the way of an enjoyable game.

#42 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:34 AM

Selfish's build is solid as a rock. I'm gonna be adopting this one for my Cataphract 4X. Extremely well put together, zombies like a champ, and it's got what it takes to kick butt and take names.

Bravo, sir!

#43 Malsumis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

I find it funny that the chose that C1 build. I run a very similar build using ERPPC's instead of regular PPC's so I don't lose any firepower in close. It's a nice jump sniper that can effectively defend itself when lights are around. However, I didn't put it up as I would have thought the devs would go for more conventional Catapult designs.

I also think that 4X setup is one of the better choices in the poll, I run a similar setup on my Jagermech. Dual AC/10, 4 medium lasers. I think this would make a good trial mech also, but the Jagermech was not on the list.

And I agree with those mentioning any builds with SSRM's for trial, this will only confuse newbies when they can not fire their missiles due to ECM but the mech they're fighting will be able to. Not a good idea for somebody just getting into the game.

Edited by Malsumis, 22 March 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#44 GoaHead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 134 posts
  • LocationMünster (Germany)

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

I miss some range configs using Gaus or ER PPC, for example Cataphract with 2 ER PCC + 1 Gaus or Catapult K2 with 2 Gaus+ 2 med laser.

Edited by GoaHead, 22 March 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#45 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

I don't see a gauss catapult or cataphract, so there really is no winning option.

#46 Thragen

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

View PostBudor, on 22 March 2013 - 02:29 AM, said:

Voted for the 1C:

4x mlas, 1x gauss, 1x srm6 with a 300xl is really the only viable thing besides 4x llas you can do with a dragon.

The gauss ammo should go into the arm with the gauss cannon as a crit-buffer.

Nice suggestion Budor. I have updated my 1C to reflect your suggestion.

Edited by Thragen, 22 March 2013 - 07:15 AM.

#47 Phoebe

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 45 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

Both DRG-1C and CTF-4X are nice builds... voted DRG-1C because it deserve to be at least second, considering CTF-4X have already won with this advantage

#48 Ken Fury

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

The Dragon-5N build is actually the best I've ever seen on the 5N variant. I must confess that I'm secretly fond of the Dragon (it was my first mini for the TT).

#49 EvangelionUnit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 776 posts
  • LocationWarframe

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

i hope all of the builds find their way in the Trailmech section sooner or later

#50 Lyrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 568 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

These are trial mechs. For new nplayers. Not for our "elite" in RHOD. So I don't think that Gauss, PPC, UAC5 are good beginner weapons. Thats why I voted for the 4x.

#51 BFett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'm surprised how many builds use XL engines as I would think XL engines would not be new user friendly. I chose the CTF-3D by Aginato due to its weapons, double heat sinks and a standard engine.

#52 Comassion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

Ok, here's my voting process. I'm setting my own criteria and removing 'mechs until I get down to a number I can dissect.

1. More than anything else, newbies can really use generous heat management. Anything with Single heatsinks is getting thrown out. It's high time we had a trial 'mech with double heatsinks. If I eliminate a 'mech, that doesn't mean it's a bad build or not something I would really enjoy myself.

Eliminated: Darth Mech, Selfish

2. Min range weapons: Minimum ranges aren't well communicated and lots of newbies don't understand that LRMs and PPCs have serious damage fall-off at certain ranges. PPC and LRM focused builds are out.

Eliminated: Yami Kero, Cygolino, Watchit,

3. Jamming sucks. New players won't like a weapon not firing. UAC/5s are out.

Eliminated: Sigmund Floyd

4. AMS - I'm a bit disappointed that none of the remaining 'mechs carry AMS, as newbies are the most vulnerable to LRMs, and AMS would help them survive.

That leaves me with several similar looking builds - laser-focused, with a ballistic and a bit of other stuff. Among the remaining choices, I really like Thragen's Dragon, as four medium lasers and the SRM 6, plus great speed and armor will make this a fun, fast 'mech to run, and the Gauss rifle with a good amount of ammo gives it long range punch, great heat management, and no minimum-range issues. It lets players try out all three classes of weapons on a solid chassis, and also has strong rear armor to let newbies survive longer if they present their back to the enemy. I think it's a winner, and would outclass all Trial 'mechs to date.

I urge others to consider the relative skill levels of newbies in their selection - a Trial 'mech should be easy to pilot, with very few 'gotchas' in terms of needing to know something, especially things like minimum ranges for weapons.

#53 Phorashi

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 34 posts
  • LocationKaetetôã

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

Oh hey, I'm in this. Yeah, vote for me I guess. My build is fast like a medium, hits like a brick, runs cool, and has great range so you aren't disadvantaged on alpine or tourmaline desert. The Dragon-5N also isn't dependent as much on ammo as some of the other fits since it's left with 2 LLas and the ammo is not entirely with the guns. The ammo also won't kill you. The arm mounted weapons also alleviate having to keep track of both reticules for newbies.

I chose an XL engine because the dragon kind of needs to be zippy to be effective and the side torsos are small enough to warrant the risk. Not to mention that giant CT attracts fire like a Commando with one leg.

Edited by Phorashi, 22 March 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#54 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 22 March 2013 - 06:33 AM, said:

The key thing to learn about cooling down is that you almost always use the ballistic weapon when you are nearing that overheat range. Missiles tend to be a good alternative, but not the first weapon of choice (unless, they are literally your secondary weapon on a Raven 3L).

The slow engine on a 4X will force the newbie to keep with the pack.

This could be a sad truth... if I really wanted to, I could actually point out why on each and every mech outside of the current favorite why they are really bad, and rebuild each and every mech (if possible). However, for the purposes of not biasing the poll further, I will not do that. I sincerely hope though these other selections get their cfg "revised" in more favorable terms before even being released into the trial lab.

I don't want newbies to leave this game so easily because poor trial mechs got in the way of an enjoyable game.

Perhaps I didn't convey my thoughts well. I think your build is quite viable. Also a plus, the potential to "teach" proper playing mechanics is there. However the the issue is the intended audience. I don't think the majority of new players will follow the team around to provide fire support. Like the Dragon, the 4x just requires more than a novice pilot to be successful.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 22 March 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#55 Ken Fury

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostPhorashi, on 22 March 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

Oh hey, I'm in this. Yeah, vote for me I guess. My build is fast like a medium, hits like a brick, runs cool, and has great range so you aren't disadvantaged on alpine or tourmaline desert. The Dragon-5N also isn't dependent as much on ammo as some of the other fits since it's left with 2 LLas and the ammo is not entirely with the guns. The ammo also won't kill you. The arm mounted weapons also alleviate having to keep track of both reticules for newbies.

I chose an XL engine because the dragon kind of needs to be zippy to be effective and the side torsos are small enough to warrant the risk. Not to mention that giant CT attracts fire like a Commando with one leg.

As I said before I approve your build and it has the support of Team Barbie.

#56 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

I just voted randomly, because I like being an outlier.

#57 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

View PostStalaggtIKE, on 22 March 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

Exactly how I feel. This build is great..., for a 4x. I could pilot this build to victory, but I have experience and work with my team. However I believe a lot of the voters are forgetting that this is a trial mech for "newbs." In other words they're not going to follow an Atlas around and support their team. Instead their going to run off and attempt a solo cave rush. Basically they're going to die repeatedly, get frustrated and probably leave. On the bright side, if they stick through this, they would have learned an invaluable lesson.

I am so bored of this attitude. Anything that doesn't have Gauss or PPC's in it is now "average, could've done better myself". I think this 4X is the best build on the list, hands down. I'm so bored of all the love for all the boring weapons. Either we have trolls with their boats or wannabe sophisticates with their snipers.

AC10's are probably the most underused weapon for no good reason. I've done similar builds with doubleAC10's for the 4X, but I never managed to fit STD engine. Not to mention this single mech taps into all of the weapon groups, uses up the slots and weight efficiently and has good range distribution and survivability. Yet, it's simple enough for a newbie to understand. And truthfully, you don't need to follow an Atlas around with this mech. You can go toe-to-toe with a brawler and do good. You can slug some AC10 rounds from range before you close up and do even better.

Currently I'm doing a JM-6S with doubleAC10's and 4 ml with XL280 (can't figure a way to fit STD without compromising the nice dmg output). It's nice as it is, though weak from behind and XL is kinda funky in a JM.. but cba to crawl around with crappy heat efficiency or lose firepower.

Edited by Jyi, 22 March 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#58 Phorashi

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 34 posts
  • LocationKaetetôã

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

The -4x posted has single heat sinks, which is enough to put me off of it, bias not included.

E: My mistake, I didn't look at the smurfy link, It does have DHS but it's still pretty hot.

Edited by Phorashi, 22 March 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#59 Phorashi

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 34 posts
  • LocationKaetetôã

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

Also! If my build wins, I will pilot it exclusively for the month that it is a trial mech!

#60 Tabrias07

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

No splatcat?
What a surprise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users