Jagertech - Crows Builds

13 replies to this topic

#1 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

So every time a new mech comes out I usually buy all variants test it and then submit my best builds to the forums for everyone to take a gander at and submit their best builds as well.

I've got to say I am very impressed with the Jagermech, it is an excellent heavy mech. We were off to a bit of a rocky start with the whole LRM/SRM splash thing but now that things are back on track.

First up: The JM6-S

The absolutely love the stock load out on this build. Dual 2's over 5's is just amazing, drop in some endo and stack in some armor and ammo and this build is made. Unfortunately the amount of ammo you would need and the armor to make it combat effective pushes you right out of a 260 STD and down into a 245 XL. Which is just no good. Sadly I had to shelve this mech simply because the XL would defeat the purpose of this mech. Raw DPS and what amazing dps it is, i've squared off with atlas's and gunned them into a the ground, though not too many times with the XL though so it had to go.

Instead was born the "Vera" named after Jayne's gun from Firefly.

JM6-S "Vera"
260 STD
11 DHS
Endo
352 STD Armor

AC20 (x4 tons of ammo)
x2 Large Lasers
x2 Medium lasers

This build is simplistic as it is powerful. The AC20 has plenty of ammo, the Standard Engine means you have to kill this mech the hard way and the Larges over mediums mean you have both range and alpha potential.

Heat is a non issue though I tend to run hot, in close I rely on the Ac20, meds and when I can afford the heat the Large lasers. At Range the AC20 and larges provide excellent power and unlike dual 20 jagers I don't have a pressing need to push into CQC until I am ready.

Video Show casing the power and toughness of this build:

---------------
Next up the JM6-A

I would go out on a limb and say the JM6-A is the quite possibly the best heavy mech in the game, simply put: It can do it all! There is no build that the JM6-A can't run well.
Double 20's? Check
Quad SRM6, Twin Larges? Check
Double Gauss? Check
LRM boat? Check
PPC Sniper? Check

Personally I prefer a build the a bit left of central and makes me feel like I am piloting a Metal Gear Rex simply because of the single rail gun offset by the missiles and mediums.

JM6-A "MG Rex"
260 XL
11 DHS
Endo
336 STD Armor
AMS (1 ton of ammo)

Gauss Rifle (x3 tons of ammo)
LRM15 (x2 tons of ammo)
x3 Streak2's (x2 tons of ammo)
x2 Medium lasers

This is a very high-tech build, by that I mean that ECM tends to kick it in the knees. That being said it is by no means helpless. The Gauss provides excellent long range direct fire damage backed by the LRM15 which puts pressure on your target. Most people are willing to have a sniper duel, but nobody likes a sniper duel with incoming missiles

I don't mind running an XL in this build simply because it has great long range potential that only gets nastier the closer it gets to it's target. Within 500m the mediums kick in allowing you to cycle them continuously followed by the streaks at 270m which always hits and with the nerf to missiles (Thank the Good Lord over all creation for that!) I no longer feel that streaks are the devil in weapon form and can now be used by everyone equally with out insults being thrown.

---------

JM6-DD is a unique mech, I had quite a lot of fun playing around with all the different builds. Unfortunately to access most of the ballistic builds required the use of an XL engine. And though the Jagermech isn't the worst chassis for an XL it is a equal opportunity mech meaning that if someone wants to hit your torso it's just as easy as it is the CT. As such I felt the XL was out and decided to follow in the footsteps of the JM6-S.

Jm6-DD "Jesup"
255 STD Engine
10 DHS
Endo
368 STD Armor

x2 UAC5's (x6 tons of ammo)
Large laser
Medium Pulse Laser

Originally i had x2 UAC5's backed up by twin larges, which was a good solid build but only left me with x4 tons of ammo. Decent provided you didn't senselessly waste your ammo, but because senselessly wasting my ammo was exactly what I had in mind I downgraded one of the large lasers to a medium pulse.

This build may stick in the craw of some of you OCD guys, but the large and the med pulse work together quite well. The UAC5's with the latest batch of patches seem to jam a bit more than usual so bearing that in mind you really have to baby them until you really have a clean shot to drop the hammer.

This mech is solid, clean and gets the job done at all ranges and is quite enjoyable when you do drop the hammer on a mech and get 6-9 rounds in a row on a target with the uac5.

These are my best.

Look forward to seeing your guy's best builds!

Edited by Carrioncrows, 23 March 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#2 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

I have played them a ton this weekend. I dont build like you do, though I find it interesting the way you mix and match things.

My best is easily the Dual AC20 DD. Of course you can build this on any of the variants. Its fun, simple, and effective. Mine runs at 82KPH with speed tweak, so I find it fast enough.

I have had some luck with 2AC10's and MPLAS builds too. Though when I compare them side by side, they just dont stack up to my 2XAC20's. Some of that of course is play style. I like to work close if I can, and not much is scarier than a couple AC20's at close range. I find them quite good up to 600 meters now, and am not afraid to shoot them at that distance.

I ran a splat/shotgun version for a while, it piles up tons of damage, is fun, but for some reason, SRM's are losing there appeal to me. Plus if you really need to kill something, that spread doesnt always get it done.

I will probably only keep the DD, though I find it the least variable in builds. I hold out hope for the MG buff that may never come.

#3 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

I can't accept any of those builds for one reason; uneven distribution. If you put one ML to right, you need to put one to left as well. If you put two streaks left, you gotta put two streaks right too, not just one to right. Your builds are making me feel bad. So asymmetrical... I can't take it...

Only thing that can void the symmetry requirement is hardpoint restrictions.

Edited by MadPanda, 23 March 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#4 Saiyajin12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

The JM6-S Vera build seems really interesting, been using dual ac20 with 2 MLs yesterday to great effect, but I might give your build a try, as I did actually have a game out of the ten or so I played where I ran out of ammo for my pretty acs heh. And I had 7 tons of it to begin with. In referens of the Metal Gear series that you so awesomely mentioned, they ought to add an infinite ammo bandana as a consumable! ... ... Joking ofcourse :P

#5 Saiyajin12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostMadPanda, on 23 March 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

I can't accept any of those builds for one reason; uneven distribution. If you put one ML to right, you need to put one to left as well. If you put two streaks left, you gotta put two streaks right too, not just one to right. Your builds are making me feel bad. So asymmetrical... I can't take it...

Haha yeah sometimes I get that feeling too. Both sides must be symmetrical! Why? Why not lol. My various awesomes however disagrees strongly with this notion. Especially my pretty baby (er ppc, lrm 15 artemis, 2 SSRMS, LL, tag) :P

Edited by Saiyajin12, 23 March 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#6 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

View Postslayerkdm, on 23 March 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

I have played them a ton this weekend. I dont build like you do, though I find it interesting the way you mix and match things.

My best is easily the Dual AC20 DD. Of course you can build this on any of the variants. Its fun, simple, and effective. Mine runs at 82KPH with speed tweak, so I find it fast enough.

I have had some luck with 2AC10's and MPLAS builds too. Though when I compare them side by side, they just dont stack up to my 2XAC20's. Some of that of course is play style. I like to work close if I can, and not much is scarier than a couple AC20's at close range. I find them quite good up to 600 meters now, and am not afraid to shoot them at that distance.

I ran a splat/shotgun version for a while, it piles up tons of damage, is fun, but for some reason, SRM's are losing there appeal to me. Plus if you really need to kill something, that spread doesnt always get it done.

I will probably only keep the DD, though I find it the least variable in builds. I hold out hope for the MG buff that may never come.

I figured everyone would quickly latch onto the Double 20 builds and don't get me wrong they are fantastic but they remain a bit of a glass hammer. You could drop a STD engine in there, but honestly the Boom-Cat is probably better suited for that.

But when it comes to an XL in the jagermech it really feels like a hit or miss match. Either you do decent, with the duel 20's or you get destroyed right off the bat, and the lack of long range weapons basically compelled me to try and close the distance and with the prevalence of the new desert map (which i love btw) the whole match ended up being a death star trench run.

If you killed someone you are typically so beat up that your mech is held together with twine and duck tape. As powerful as the dual 20's where simply trading my mech for one of my opponents was never optimal IMHO.

With the above builds, honestly i've never had a bad showing and even when drastically out-toned or numbered the above have been able to acquit themselves admirably.

I highly recommend you give them a spin.

View PostMadPanda, on 23 March 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Only thing that can void the symmetry requirement is hardpoint restrictions.

For the longest times the OCD in me compelled me to basically go 1 and 1 to achieve balance and if it wasn't for the fact that these builds preform so damn well, I would probably still seek to level the scales.

They are an oddity, but a damn good one.

Edit: Also another great thing about the Jager is those torso fins, it does such a damn good job of protecting the CT it's amazing. The only time my CT is exposed is when i've got all my guns pointed at you, it really is almost custom made for an STD engine considering how easy it is to protect that CT.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 23 March 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#7 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

On paper I agree, the 20's seem to make you a glass canon. In practice, the opposite is true for me. I live longer, do more damage, and kill more mechs with the 20's. this is of course play style dependent.

That being said, I'm on a ac20 high lately, so maybe my opinion will change down the road.

#8 Saiyajin12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Carrioncrows I just tried your Vera build, and it's frickin awesome, like it better than dual ac20 cuz it's more survivable since it packs a standard engine. There was just enough slots left to switch to ferro armor btw, with that I fitted some extra leg armor, cuz why not :)

#9 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:04 AM

Glad you liked it.

Yeah I saw that as well, but opted not to take the FF armor just so I wouldn't have to take it back off if I ever changed the build.

#10 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

JM6-A "MG Rex" feels like a tial Atlas-K: a death trap.

If you want to play as a support mech just take 2xUAC5 4xLRM5 + TAG. XL engine and plenty of ammo. Stay back 500 meters and let the boomcats do the brawling.

And if you want to brawl in a JM6-S "Vera".... well... I won't stop you but with enormous side torsos it`s easier to hit than an Awesome. Your torso will get destroyed and you are stuck with 1 ML and 1 LL.

At least the 2xAC20 XL300 verions only need about half a second of exposure time to fire, and then you move back to cover.

Edited by Kmieciu, 24 March 2013 - 06:28 AM.

#11 Spectre250

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

I have seen a lot of AC20 and UAC5 builds being used, but I am curios as to why no one seems to take the quad AC2 approach. I have been using it a lot, with great success, but have only seen one other person attempt it. Any particular reason you guys do not try that one?

For reference, here is what I am running:

JM6-S Gunfighter
260 STD
Endo
11 DHS
357 STD Armor

4 AC/2 w/ 5T ammo
2 MLas

#12 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 24 March 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

JM6-A "MG Rex" feels like a tial Atlas-K: a death trap.

If you want to play as a support mech just take 2xUAC5 4xLRM5 + TAG. XL engine and plenty of ammo. Stay back 500 meters and let the boomcats do the brawling.

And if you want to brawl in a JM6-S "Vera".... well... I won't stop you but with enormous side torsos it`s easier to hit than an Awesome. Your torso will get destroyed and you are stuck with 1 ML and 1 LL.

At least the 2xAC20 XL300 verions only need about half a second of exposure time to fire, and then you move back to cover.

A lot has to do with the way you use it. I use a XL engine in my Atlas all the time and do quite well with it. I am 55 kills and 10 deaths with it. Like the Atlas-K and the MG Rex is built as a Line mech. You sit back at high peeks and unload on targets, you have an advantage in most sniper duels simply because your LRM15 forces them to seek cover. Catching people in the open they will run for cover rather than simply duke'n it out.

As for Vera you are certainly welcome to run it as a brawler but it is a lot more than that. You don't need to push into a CQC like the Double 20 builds and losing your torso is bad for every mech out there it is certainly a hell of a lot better than die'n when yo lose the XL engine.

Taking damage is the price of doing business and as bad as losing a torso is, the point of the build is to protect your CT at the cost of your torsos and jagermech is almost custom built to protect that CT. Use your weak torso (The one with out the AC20) to turn and take the shots on in between salvos.

The Large and the AC20 give you good long range firepower.

The AC20 does 20 dmg up to 270m, and from 270-450 your AC20 deals 15 dmg, From 450-630 your AC20 deals 10 dmg and from 630-810 your AC20 deal 5 dmg.

You don't need to brawl, it does an exceptional job of brawling but like I said there is more to the mech.

#13 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

View PostSpectre250, on 24 March 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

I have seen a lot of AC20 and UAC5 builds being used, but I am curios as to why no one seems to take the quad AC2 approach. I have been using it a lot, with great success, but have only seen one other person attempt it. Any particular reason you guys do not try that one?

For reference, here is what I am running:

JM6-S Gunfighter
260 STD
Endo
11 DHS
357 STD Armor

4 AC/2 w/ 5T ammo
2 MLas

I like the quad build as it deals a lot of DPS but that DPS isn't always applicable People alpha and then move in and out of cover. If you have a target in the open you will mow him down but the jump snipers and people rocking their mech in and out allows them to deal far more damage than you can in that time frame.

As much as I like the Quad AC2 build 2 things keep me from using it, the above point and the heat. The heat is manageable but up close and personal you overheat quickly and it's hard to deal damage when the pressure of damage and heat is crippling your mech. And light mech can really ruin your day trying to track him with those ac2's.

#14 Golfin Man

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 162 posts
  • Locationyour flank

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

I'm loving the Jager so far, I really feel like a hunter (jager) stalking the battlefield. It may be fragile if using an xl, but there are so many builds on the jager that allow either long range damage or close range ambushing (or both) which can function with either type of engine. XL or no, I believe its best played as a a backfield watcher, either defending the flank or flanking to ambush or snipe while providing cover fire.

I will definitley try out the vera. I love clacking pairs of huge ballistics, but the increase in range and durability seems a worthy tradeoff for many situations I agree with XL's making most builds very fragile, but I have found another viable xl build besides the dual ac/20s. The position of the arms on this mech provides more benefit them some people realize (imo), and make it a great dual gauss build. I "grew up" heavy wise with the phract, and have run the dual gauss 3D for awhile, so I know how to flank wide and rain 30 dmg strikes from a few hundred meters. I use a 260xl so it is as fast as the phract (280xl), with better weapon convergence and the ability to put my guns just over a hill to pop shots off. Its not like dual gauss and 2 med lasers is original, but I found it funny that I had come to a build with the exact same loadout as a canon build, even down to the 6 tons of ammo, the JM6-DG. It had ER medium lasers which makes me drool, that puts it one step closer to being the ultimate Jager mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users