Build A Trial Mech - Heavy Edition Winner!

132 replies to this topic

#41 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostVhetra, on 26 March 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

And yet that build doesn't have a single AC on it. Imagine that!

Gauss on a Dragon doesn't impress me too much. I've seen 4med+1gauss builds for the 1C, so it's more or less close to that reference point.

I've seen them on phracts just as well (on the 3D no less), but not other mech can say "still useful" as the zombie power of the 4X. Ironically, it's the only heavy to really benefit (outside of the C1 and C4).

Edited by Deathlike, 26 March 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#42 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

View PostAldrenean, on 26 March 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

To the people saying this build is "nothing special," or that it needs a more diverse weapons loadout:

New players do not need or want a build that needs 3-4 weapon groups minimum to use effectively. This build is perfect for a brand new player because:

1) It has only two types of weapons, one basically a rifle, the other lasers, both instantly and intuitively understandable to anyone who's played a game or watched a movie before.

2) Both are mounted in the arms, thus using the same (more responsive) cursor, eliminating another major point of confusion.

3) It has insanely high heat dissipation, giving a newbie plenty of time to notice his heat building up, and indeed probably not overheating at all unless they're constantly holding down the LLs on Caustic or Tourmaline.

Apart from all of that, it's actually a damn good build. I wonder if anyone bitching about it has actually run it. I haven't, I don't own Dragons, but I've run an almost identical build on my CTF-1X, and one of my regular lancemates has started using it and loves it, often breaks 500 damage.

Saying that a gauss rifle has a high learning curve is silly. Yes, it's hard to hit things at max range, but projectiles are not some advanced, arcane concept that new players will be baffled by. Most newbies don't even see things more than 1k out, they tend to engage at 600m or less, which makes hitting most Gauss shots pretty easy.

The only weakness I see in this build for a new player is the non-CASE-able Gauss in the arm. New players have no concept of component damage or protecting your vulnerable side, so I can see lots of newbies dying with mostly full armor except on that arm. I would say that it might teach them to twist away from shots, but the post-death damage report is utterly unreadable even for experience players, so I don't see them realizing what caused their death without someone telling them.

I intend to run this trial a couple of times just to try it out. Personally I like my Dragon build with an ERPPC, LBXAC10, and 2 LRM5s. Though I like to try new builds all the time. It does sound like an nice build. I'll give it that. I just felt that the 4x was a better starter setup is all.

As long as the pilot stays on the move, uses this like a heavy scout, and trust their speed more than their armor, they probably will do well. It's fast, but not as durable and does don't have as big of a punch as other heavies (normally). (This mech does look like it's got a good punch though.)

#43 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

I can't believe my all Flamer+Mg+UAC5 combo didn't pass the submission phase!

Edited by RoboPatton, 26 March 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#44 wngsprd

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

I find it odd that people are complaining about the event and the outcome of it. Most (if not all) of the stock mechs aren't really up to par against customized mechs, DHS upgrade alone makes a huge difference. I find myself trying out the trial mechs and not having a good assessment of what they can actually do, therefore, not wanting to spend my c-bills on them. Take this month's trial mechs for example... If you don't have a Dragon yet, would you rather try out this Dragon or the current AC2/LRM10/ML stock Dragon?

Dare I say it... "Build a trial mech" event every month for all classes? But specify a chassis instead so that we won't run into the same trial mech 2+ weeks straight (Dragon for this month, Catapult for next, etc)

#45 Phorashi

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 34 posts
  • LocationKaetetôã

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hooray! I won! I'm the best robot builder ever! Thanks to everyone that voted for me especially the Kerensky's and my clutch mates from the far country. Now for some celebratory suet!

SQUAWK!!!

#46 Super Kerensky

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

The Kerenskys know a good mech when they see it.

#47 dakkadakka

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

Let them laugh at our chassis for now my fellow dragon pilots. For our day (patch) will come one day and those who mocked us will be shown no mercy :o.

#48 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

I think it's wonderful that new and pilots will have a decent mech to drive without having to read the entire battletech novel series, numerous user made training guides, and watch 30hrs of instructional videos so they can make a more fair assessment of the actual gameplay. For me personally, I don't have any Dragons so I'm really looking forward to test driving one that doesn't suck. I really hope this is an ongoing project -community designed and picked builds that is.

I do have CTF-4X and ran Selfish's loadout, and it really offers a lot of desirable qualities for a new pilot, in terms of firepower, survivability, and heat management. Weapons can be used in 2 or 3 groups, and it allows a lot of room for a number of play styles and doesn't even blow itself up if you panic spam!

#49 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

LoL everyone voted on the mech that would be the easiest to kill. Critical hit to the Gauss Rifle will destroy the whole mech.

Edited by SixStringSamurai, 26 March 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#50 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

I hate to say this, but newbie Dragon 5N pilots will probably die quicker than the 4X Cataphract.

The only reason is that they would use the 5N as a brawler, and not as a hit+run mech that it is optimal for. W/o even considering the fact that the XL engine on a Dragon is a general non-issue, the phract is a lot more optimal for a starting newbie's initial playstyle... brawling.

Edited by Deathlike, 26 March 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#51 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostSixStringSamurai, on 26 March 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

LoL everyone voted on the mech that would be the easiest to kill. Critical hit to the Gauss Rifle will destroy the whole mech.

Gauss only does 20 damage when it explodes. If it exploding in your arm is killing you, you probably were almost dead anyway.

If fielded right, I see this possibly being a beast. Enough range to snip, enough speed to redeploy, flank, run away, close in to brawl, dodge, duck and weave, etc. This design can fill a lot of roles, some better than others.

Edited by Tesunie, 26 March 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#52 Ken Fury

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostSixStringSamurai, on 26 March 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

Wow, you have no clue how much damage a Gauss Explosion does. Thanks for not supporting the best build.

#53 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 26 March 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

I hate to say this, but newbie Dragon 5N pilots will probably die quicker than the 4X Cataphract.

The only reason is that they would use the 5N as a brawler, and not as a hit+run mech that it is optimal for. W/o even considering the fact that the XL engine on a Dragon is a general non-issue, the phract is a lot more optimal for a starting newbie's initial playstyle... brawling.

I agree. I voted for the Cataphrat 4x because I felt that build would be better to new players. This is still a great build though and dragons are nice. Just dragons are not the easiest mech to play. When I first picked them up, I liked it, but ended up selling it in favor of other mech types. Regretted it and rebought the chassis. It took some getting use to, but I do like it.

#54 MrWhite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 26 March 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Given the replies, it doesn't seem too popular an idea (and it's a lot of work to gather replies, make a list, and have people vote.) We'll see though.

Perhaps since this community doesn't know how to do anything but complain sometimes next time have the devs throw several decent well rounded designs together and let people just vote on them, it'll be easier then having to sift through 30+ pages of really detailed builds... I got a headache looking at just acouple pages and frankly the devs time can be better used elsewhere other then sifting through pages and pages of designs.

Everyone has opinions on here and their own idea what a good mech will be, personally I like the design. I liked the Cataphract better but really guys this is better then any trial mech I've seen so far, and if you don't get people playing and keep them playing they won't want to spend money on this game, then we won't have a mechwarrior game period. So far up to this point the best trial mech we've had is that trenchbucket and that thing has newbies brawling with LRM's and a NARC beacon... I literally feel bad for these guys whenever I see someone in one because there is a good chance they are new to mechwarrior and don't understand how to use that mech. Least they can actually do something with a gauss rifle at close range and still have some range that if they choose to play smarter they can do so.

#55 Zen Hachetaki

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 124 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostXenonCx, on 26 March 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

I applaud PGI for letting us build and choose a trial mech. I think it would be a great idea if the trial mechs each had a long description, highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of each design and how best to play it.

I want to emphasize what this poster mentioned - with each Trial mech - a description of how to play it, whether it is community built or not. I for one enjoyed this contest/event/thingy and would like to see one (1) each month for the community to design and vote on - even if for no other reason to give us proof that we do indeed have a direct impact & involvement in the evolution of a game so many of us have been with for a long time.

This mech I see as a reasonable balance - in truth I was almost afraid of having TOO GOOD a mech as a trial one since they would flood the games and make it much harder to win (LOLOLOLOL).- I was definitely worried about seeing too many of those Cata 4Xs running around ruining my day! :o

#56 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

Newbies would have been better off in the 4X, but that Dragon is a great build. Thank you for making this contest happen.

Now you just need to do it for the other three classes. Stock variants are terrible right now, and you should never make your new players drop in them.

#57 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

View PostEnd Crescendo, on 26 March 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

Sometimes I feel like this community with complain about anything.

I officially complain about this post. :P Further complaints will be done in game as I blow your Mech to the junkyard. ^_^

View PostGarth Erlam, on 26 March 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Given the replies, it doesn't seem too popular an idea (and it's a lot of work to gather replies, make a list, and have people vote.) We'll see though.

Like others, I have to disagree especially with all the unjustified rage about SHS in other topics.

Edited by Merchant, 26 March 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#58 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

It was pretty close! Congrats to Phorashi for his design :P

#59 Ken Fury

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

If you want to say thanks to PGI, go in here: http://mwomercs.com/...-trial-contest/ and hit like and say thanks.

Thanks in Advance.

Let's make this game better, together.

Communication is Key.

#60 Mr Fistr Kerensky

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostBLUPRNT, on 26 March 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

I don't suspect rigging by staff of any kind. But the community?

Let me get this right.. you think the community got together and rigged the voting just to spite you? Jesus Christ are you wearing a freaking tin foil hat right now in case some clandestine government organization is trying to read your thoughts and implant things in your mind too? Douche canoe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users