Would You Like Stats To Be Public?

95 replies to this topic

Poll: PUBLIC STATS? (457 member(s) have cast votes)

Should stats be public?

1. Yes! (138 votes [30.26%])

Percentage of vote: 30.26%

2. No! (162 votes [35.53%])

Percentage of vote: 35.53%

3. Only Certain Ones (Total Wins, Total Kills, Favorite Mechs, etc) (86 votes [18.86%])

Percentage of vote: 18.86%

4. I Don't Care! (70 votes [15.35%])

Percentage of vote: 15.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Just wondering what the opinion is.

The negative aspect is that in games where stats are viewable for all, they become a badge of honor/mark of shame, and you'll see logic like "you only have a X rating, so you need to L2P before your opinion matters". Which may or may not be valid logic, but it definitely promotes a level of animosity which is detrimental to the community.

The positive aspect is that realistically, things like win/loss are good measures of player effectiveness (with large enough sample size), and they can be used to track whether the things you're trying are working or not, or if you're playing the role that's best for you, etc. Also if its viewable in-game before the match like in some other games, you can decide what you should do that would be best for the team (example, if some guy is way higher rated than you, maybe you should support him as best you can, whereas if some guy is clearly a suicidal fool, then you don't want to be following him around).

Edit: Added the option for people who don't care either way.

Edited by Broceratops, 20 July 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#2 VK4502B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

Sure, I do not mind if people see my stats. :blink:

#3 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

I would like this. It would also be great if people could see into the mech bays of others and check out how they painted/configured their mechs. This way, people can see what others are using and learn from players with good game stats.

#4 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

I voted certain ones. But i want the only two stats that are shown to be friendly kills and friendly fire so it's easier to spot trolls that would rather spend their time shooting their teamates in the back than shoot at the opposing force.

#5 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 20 July 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

I voted certain ones. But i want the only two stats that are shown to be friendly kills and friendly fire so it's easier to spot trolls that would rather spend their time shooting their teamates in the back than shoot at the opposing force.

This is a great idea. It's mean to make fun of someone who sucks, but if someone is just trolling by TKing their own team, stats to show that would be a good warning.

#6 Grugore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

I wouldn't want kills or wins listed. You could be a really good pilot, but if you're stuck with a lousy unit then your scores will suffer. That may prevent you from getting into a good unit when you decide to leave the other one in disgust.

#7 Ramius Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 159 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

I don't care much one way or the other. I do like the idea of those friendly fire stats being readily apparent tho. Nice idea.

#8 bpphantom

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationCanukistan

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

I voted no simply because it will become a metric to assist in the waving around of e-phalic-things. Ideally the player can configure what's stats are visible.

#9 Asgardious

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationAurora, CO

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

So, prior to World of Tanks, I would have said Yes as I didn't care... but after seeing a lot of the crap there such as other players griefing others on win % or lamenting on their team's overall % is lower then than the opposing team and then taking a defeating attitude really gets old... I don't want to see that in this game if it can be helped.

#10 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

Only thing I want public is total time as a pilot, and total time on that basic chassis and maybe friendly fire kills. The others should be private though a pilot may have the option to share with certain people.

#11 Gingo

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

No, no stats that can lead to an e-peen should be public.
That just leads to some idiots going for "best k/d ratio" and ******* over their team completely in the process.

What could be public is stuff like favorite mech, number of hours played, etc.

#12 Hellya

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCanada, Alberta

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

You have nothing to gain by leaving them hidden. Improvement only happens when you can quantify where you need it, such as, accuracy, location of hits and damage done. These small variables are all pieces to the team work and the wins that result from them.

Why are people so scared of sucking? It happens. I will for the first while I promise you, I want to improve and know about it.

#13 Redburn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

View PostElizander, on 20 July 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

It would also be great if people could see into the mech bays of others and check out how they painted/configured their mechs. This way, people can see what others are using and learn from players with good game stats.

This...absolutely not! I don't want to give away my competitive edge nor do I want you looking at what I'm keeping in there.....

#14 WardenWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

Poll needs a fifth option: Yes, but only opt-in

And maybe a sixth: Yes, but with an opt-out

I would like to be able to view all of my own stats, and compare to at least the *average* result for each stat (taking into account all players, regardless of opt-in/out, since it would be anonymous). I would then also like the option to have my stats viewable, if I wanted to show off - or likewise, to hide them if I end up sucking ;)

#15 Prat

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

Voted for "Certain Ones" because I've seen what can happen in WoT. Now given that I actually have decent stats (at least above average over 8k games) I've never been the target of ridicule, but I think it would just take away from the joy of playing the game.

People get too obsessed with their W/R and every match turns into a blame fest.

On the other hand, I would like to see the W/R rate for MYSELF so I know whether I'm actually doing well or not. I'd say keep those private and if you really want to show your friends then by all means.

#16 bpphantom

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationCanukistan

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostHellya, on 20 July 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

You have nothing to gain by leaving them hidden. Improvement only happens when you can quantify where you need it, such as, accuracy, location of hits and damage done. These small variables are all pieces to the team work and the wins that result from them.

Why are people so scared of sucking? It happens. I will for the first while I promise you, I want to improve and know about it.

Seeing your own stats is one thing, and of course that should be possible.

#17 Zerik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 158 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

I like to view mine on occasion, but really could care less if anyone else sees them or not. If people want to judge me based on those stats, that's their problem.

#18 deranda

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

I like revealed stats but there should be a "win/loss ratio of last 100 battles"-stat or something around those lines very prominently shown at the top to make it fair for people who had a bad start and got better over time.

#19 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

I would like to reset stats as well. Maybe it costs something to do so, but everyone hates the learning curve part of the game going into permanent stats. Also it makes trying to learn a new role or mech not so discouraging.

#20 Shadowrrr01

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

I voted yes. I really don't mind people checking on stats if thats how they want to judge a player.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users