Would You Like Stats To Be Public?

95 replies to this topic

Poll: PUBLIC STATS? (457 member(s) have cast votes)

Should stats be public?

1. Yes! (138 votes [30.26%])

Percentage of vote: 30.26%

2. No! (162 votes [35.53%])

Percentage of vote: 35.53%

3. Only Certain Ones (Total Wins, Total Kills, Favorite Mechs, etc) (86 votes [18.86%])

Percentage of vote: 18.86%

4. I Don't Care! (70 votes [15.35%])

Percentage of vote: 15.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

Oh, it would be wonderful if there was a statistics timeline as well so you can see improvements over time... like seeing your last month/week/day and compare it to this month/week/day. It's probably a lot of trouble to do, but it will show that a player has improved despite having a bad record at the start. Without something like this, a player who had a bad start would have to suffer with a bad overall record for a long time until he can get enough games to improve it. If there was a timeline, people could see that he did great in the previous two months rather than writing him off for a break even overall record.

#22 StainlessSR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSunShine State

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

You should have the option to show or not show. Sure some whiny brat will say "you just don't want to show your stats cause you suck" but , meh, each his own.

Blue on Blue per match should be a definite show. Granted you may hit a teammate due to him reversing into your fire when your trying to shoot around him, but this stat should show low on a per match basis (ie. .5 in 20 games would equate to 10 hits in 20 games, maybe a few games had none some had 2-3 but still 10 hits shouldn't usually be a friendly kill {I think I did my math right 10 hit's divided by 20 games is .5})

edit for spelling.

Edited by StainlessSR, 20 July 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#23 grimzod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

View PostBroceratops, on 20 July 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

Just wondering what the opinion is.

The negative aspect is that in games where stats are viewable for all, they become a badge of honor/mark of shame, and you'll see logic like "you only have a X rating, so you need to L2P before your opinion matters". Which may or may not be valid logic, but it definitely promotes a level of animosity which is detrimental to the community.

The positive aspect is that realistically, things like win/loss are good measures of player effectiveness (with large enough sample size), and they can be used to track whether the things you're trying are working or not, or if you're playing the role that's best for you, etc. Also if its viewable in-game before the match like in some other games, you can decide what you should do that would be best for the team (example, if some guy is way higher rated than you, maybe you should support him as best you can, whereas if some guy is clearly a suicidal fool, then you don't want to be following him around).

Edit: Added the option for people who don't care either way.

In truth, when you suck at a game and people can see that they are less likely to listen to you. That is a good thing. Take advice from people that seem to know what they are doing and have stats to prove it.

View PostElizander, on 20 July 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

Oh, it would be wonderful if there was a statistics timeline as well so you can see improvements over time... like seeing your last month/week/day and compare it to this month/week/day. It's probably a lot of trouble to do, but it will show that a player has improved despite having a bad record at the start. Without something like this, a player who had a bad start would have to suffer with a bad overall record for a long time until he can get enough games to improve it. If there was a timeline, people could see that he did great in the previous two months rather than writing him off for a break even overall record.

Excellent idea. And if you change your playstyle and see an improvement over time this positive feedback could indeed lead to better players sharing their 'discoveries', leading to stronger teams.

Edited by grimzod, 20 July 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#24 Chief 117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 479 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

How about only show stats you want to show? You could set which stats are hiden, visible to your friends/clan or those that you want to be public. Easy solution

#25 Kozmonot

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

I think have the option. I'm not sure what boosting-countermeasures there are, but public stats generally make boosters obvious.

#26 kojdog

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

Only certain ones.

I hate what the WoT forums have turned into (a bro down where you're summarily dismissed/put down if you don't have above average stats).

I'm at 50% and in the top 30% of players and I still know I'm going to take crap and get ignored if I post there.

#27 Supremacist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

View PostBroceratops, on 20 July 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

The negative aspect is that in games where stats are viewable for all, they become a badge of honor/mark of shame, and you'll see logic like "you only have a X rating, so you need to L2P before your opinion matters".

Working as intended

#28 Buso Senshi Zelazny

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York, USA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

I think people should only allow public viewing of stats if they choose too, with a toggle option for example, and be able to keep them private if they want to. Same for your mechs. Maybe have an option to display one mech from your garage to the public, possibly in pre-match lobby or just in some sort of public profile. It could come in handy if you're coordinating with your teammates, merc corp. etc, or just seeking advice from a friendly player on how to possibly improve your loadout to better suit your playstyle. This would go a long way towards enriching the Community Warfare experience, as well as enrich the Community as a whole.

#29 Gorith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

I voted for only certain ones. By that I mean I don't mind people seeing my W/L ratio but K/D ratio I feel would lead to bad team play also people who mainly play support roles in games tend to have terrible K/D ratios even if they are good at what they do.

Also would not want people to be able to look into each others mech bays and pilot skill trees maybe if they are in the same unit but otherwise no . This is important when it comes to the planetary conquest and to possible tournaments/leagues.

#30 Boss Awesome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

I want stats in. Lots of stats. If a player is decent then their skill will shine through somewhere in the multitude of statistics.

#31 Dvinn

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 57 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

I think it should be optional that way if you don't want to have your stats visible you don't have to.

#32 Esk

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

No for me, (option for clan/guild/friends maybe)

All this will mean is people will suddenly become even worse stat whores, running away, DC'ing only using FOTM OP loadouts.
People who are team players might get passover by groups as their stas aint good as they play a lot of Pugs.
An it will inevitably bring all the Boring old kiddy trolling in local chat.
So at the very least i want a block list or disable chat option lol if its done.

Also you would need stats like spotting, component destructions and average % of damage per game to give any realistic view of someone as a player.
I can easily hit 600+ damage with no kills as i disable/cripple and move on to another target a lot of the time.

edit: Sorry necro'd i didn't realise i was that far back browsing lol..

Edited by Esk, 29 October 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#33 Overlord Klein

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

Stats are already going to be skewed as people who are F2P have to play lots and lots of matches in sub par trial mechs. This means the playing field is not level like it is in WoT, and people with founders mechs will have an immediate advantage, which will look like "skill"
Don't have this problem in world of tanks.

Also, premium bonus XP counts twards your average XP, so that isn't even a good measure of skill, as premium bouns XP can only be bought with real world cash.

Edited by Overlord Klein, 29 October 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#34 ebea51

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

+1

Open stats would be nice to view with your user profile!

#35 skullman86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

Public stats would be great, but K/D shouldn't be one of them.

#36 Kekrebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

I'm against public stats for several reasons:

Elitism-You don't know what you're talking about unless you have a minimum k/d or win/loss. What about the solo player who on average has a lower win/loss.. or the light player that spends more time softening up targets and spotting than killing them? The arguements go on and on.

Fatalsim-Our team lost already, my mod I installed says so! and then the start running around like a jackwad, or ragequit.

Min/Maxing-Players will be so focused on their stats that they will only play what the forums says is good at the moment, which discourages creative thinking and playing, instead of focusing on supporting each other.

Stat Padding-People will find ways to do it. Only dropping premades in mix/max setups, etc.

The pros of stats to be fair are:

Give a good idea if you want to invite them into your group.

Even the argument of knowing if you should support a teammate isn't valid. If the guy is shooting at a building or rushing into the enemy team... odds are you shouldn't support him.

I find stats just distracts people from the game itself.

#37 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

Heck, I can't find stats at all, lol. And I think it is GREAT.

People who worry about stats are seldom team players.

#38 OcelotKing

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

As long as it's up to the user, fine. The last thing I need when I go into a pub game is to have half the team whining about everyone elses' win ratio and the other half taking off because the other team has more people over 50%.

#39 SomiR

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

Stats are meaningless. This early all they represent is : who bought their mech outright, who is pubstomping, and who is in a trialmech lolgrinding cbills. that is literally it.

#40 Sarevos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

thats kinda dumb at the moment as alot of us are running trials (and my k/d is awful till i run custom =P) i like the total wins/kills/mech one tho

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users