The Perfect Screenshot Thread.

Screenshots

2158 replies to this topic

#61 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

I really enjoy your high resolution pictures. I recognize one of the screen shots that Kon has taken of me.

As for my request, my favourite mech currently in this game are the centurions, preferably the CN9-A. Will it be possible if you can capture a moment when a centurion is outmatched, still with its bodies intact and fighting like there is no tomorrow? That's the thrill I get when I'm the only mech left against, say, 4 enemy mechs.

To give a similar type of atmosphere and mood, the last mission of Halo Reach is what I'm talking about. When nearly all hope is lost, a lone warrior prepares itself for its last stand. I love those moments.

Centurions are, IMO, very versatile and vigilant and hardy in that they can take a lot of abuse and still fight. Hence the reason for its famous reputation for it be a "zombie mech".

Please and thank you! I enjoy your photos!

Edited by ZeProme, 23 April 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#62 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

We'll try to get what we can.

Also discovered that threads are locked if they go x amount of time without activity. Kinda sucks.

#63 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:24 AM

More screenshots soon ™

#64 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

I know that trademark. :D

#65 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Small dump
Spoiler

#66 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

So many backsides! O_O! How soon before you get back on for a match, Lordred?

#67 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

This evening is packed for me, at work till 5pm pst, following that I lose 4 hours to driving (family stuff) then I need to sleep again for work Monday morning.

Yay life.

#68 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostLordred, on 28 April 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

This evening is packed for me, at work till 5pm pst, following that I lose 4 hours to driving (family stuff) then I need to sleep again for work Monday morning.

Yay life.

Oh noes :D

That's alright. Take your time. Looking forward to more of your screen shots! :huh:

#69 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

Finally got a chance to look through here - a lot of fantastic shots! It's always nice to take the time to just look at the action, since doing it in-game can have predictably deadly results. :P

Seriously though - keep it up.

#70 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Guess whos been patient and deserves some more screen caps? You guys!

Image dump.

Spoiler

Edited by Lordred, 30 April 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#71 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Great pictures! Love them!

#72 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

Desert combat Dump!
Spoiler

#73 Erasus Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 383 posts
  • LocationUnited States Of Mind

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostLordred, on 15 April 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

I went from the game controlling the AA (lack there of) and AF to forcing the drivers to control them completely, I also set the Occlusion to use the values from another game (Skyrim) when I had the AA forced really high under MSAA, CSAA, or SSAA the game would create all sorts of weird artifacts, massive performance issues and the like. Settling on FXAA (and only low amounts) at least afforded me slightly crisper images in game, and only slightly reduced the Aliasing problems this game has.

Posted Image

Starting with a base image which is as high quality as I can get the game to give me, and shooting it in a high quality format such as .PNG allows me to make several color/saturation/brightness/contrast/digital highlighting edits in the end, generally subtle ones) to result in a what I consider to be "fantastic" screen cap.

Here is the first image in this thread, unedited and edited to show the difference.
Spoiler

On with the show.

Image dump 5
Random people version (was dropping solo)
Spoiler

I know there are plenty of people who just look at the pretty pictures and go on their merry way, but I would love for some feedback, hear what people would like to see.

~Red

See that, PGI?

THIS is how it should be done!

Edited by Erasus Magnus, 30 April 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#74 Toltecher

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts
  • LocationResearch Station Kappa 4, Husavik, Thule, Rasalhague Province, Free Rasalhague Republic

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

View PostLordred, on 13 April 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

Image dump 4
Posted Image

This is literally the BEST Mechwarrior screenshot I've ever seen. Wonderful composition; this shot has all the elements of great design! I really love the color scheme here, both of the subject and scene! The lighting-accents in this shot are the icing on the cake.
I won't babble too much on about all the great attention to detail, but this is certainly fit for desktop-wallpaper. And I'm certainly biased towards Catapults; growing up on MW2:Mercs, the Catapult was for me the most iconic Battlemech (even more than the Timberwolf).

some critique: the facing and direction of the mech as well as the tunnel apex draw the eyes to the short end of the picture; this naturally leaves something for the mind to be desired. Something generally avoided for good composition, but understandably sometimes unavoidable. However, I think that's been cleverly offset: The sign looks as if it has an arrow point left (maybe that is one, never actually looked that close in game) which draws the eyes back towards the subject, along with the (well-positioned) brilliant lights on the other side; thus allowing the observer more time to look at the picture before being done with it. I would even say the very contrasting light glare off the back of the mech gives my eyes one more sweep of the image. I also like that the sign is truncated. I'd rather see it like that than see the whole thing; were the whole thing to be in the image, I'd feel it to be another subject in the scene, which it shouldn't be (nor deserving, imo).

Great picture and keep up the great work!

Edited by Toltecher, 30 April 2013 - 09:27 PM.

#75 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostToltecher, on 30 April 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

Spoiler

First off, thank you very much for the excellent criticism, i would love if more people offered such. I will take what you have said and see what I can do with it.

#76 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostToltecher, on 30 April 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

Thank you. The critique reminds me of something from my art classes. Maybe I should get you to write my next set of critiques in college?

That's my catapult up there. B) So I'm glad you liked my paint job. It was also my idea to take snapshots in the garage as a powered down mech in a little alcove beside some trucks. However Lordred started taking snapshots as I was backing in and never did take any of me powered down (he got fixated on the cataphract walking through it shortly after then later said most of the shots were too dark to work with). :P

To be perfectly honest I'm not sure if either of us had any idea of what we were doing. I had just shifted from going forward to backing up. If opportunities arise to better stage screenshots deliberately, we'll have to take some of that into account. :P

Edited by Koniving, 01 May 2013 - 12:03 PM.

#77 Toltecher

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts
  • LocationResearch Station Kappa 4, Husavik, Thule, Rasalhague Province, Free Rasalhague Republic

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

ah, you're welcome; I could go on about all the qualities of this picture, but currently don't have the time. I will add though, one thing about it that set it apart from all the others was that the composition feels like it has a real theme, not just some captured moment of time, but purpose; a well captured rustic/industrial aesthetic.

A good artist understands the importance of critique. Mine was primarily for posterity. Take from it what you desire, but if this was one of those 'happy accidents', don't over-think my criticism; sometimes happy accidents are best left as accidents.
Some of my best work has been, in part, created from something originally unintended, something purely accidental (much to why I enjoy experimentation the most!)

If PGI opened up Training Grounds to groups or at least Lancemates, that would provide good opportunity for staging composition (where you'd have better opportunity to make use of critiques). Lancemates might be possible, but they already said groups (pvp) would essentially be 'private lobbies', which would have to be separate from Training Grounds.

Edited by Toltecher, 01 May 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#78 Derpinator

• PipPip
  • The Blazing
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

wow, amazing work guys. Keep it up!
The next time I see either of you guys I'll try to photobomb you :)

#79 ivr56

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

Jenner Highway
Posted Image
In Another Frozen City
Posted Image
On the Prowl
Posted Image
Kill Shot
Posted ImageDAKKA DAKKA
Posted Image
Roll Out
Posted Image
Someone With Their Wang
Posted Image
A Frozen City
Posted Image
Moving Out
Posted Image
All Alone
Posted Image

Edited by ivr56, 02 May 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#80 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

Hard mode:
River City Night

Spoiler

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users