59 replies to this topic

#1 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

I currently have 2 cicadas, 3 Trebs, 3 Hunchbacks, 3 Jagers and 3 Atlai all mastered. Nothing on the horizon interests me. In retrospect double XP weekend was a bad idea as it will result in some players temporarily retiring for lack of grind. I need a Devastator or Bushwacker soon.

#2 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

There are many people who think the XP grind is too slow.

#3 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostNoth, on 11 April 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

There are many people who think the XP grind is too slow.

The normal rate is about right, I think Double XP was premature and now there is an excess of mastered mechs.

#4 Khanublikhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

A fair point. As players (on average?), we are consuming skills and new content at a rapid rate.

That would seem to suggest we will need *many* more skills to be introduced later.

I am quite surprised actually, that the developers did not look at the skill system of Eve and do something similar.

#5 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

The point of this game is not to grind mechs.

The point is to kill other giant robots with your giant robots.

Once you have mastered all of the mechs, the game isn't over. It's the point at which you can focus on "grinding up" the only thing that actually maters, which is your skill as a pilot.

#6 RealityCube

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

I'm going to completely disagree. People like myself who tend to collect obsessively in games like this are going to take FOREVER to do what we want to in the game. I have 16 mechs, 12 of which are mastered, and I'm still going to be doing more. My next step is Jenners, After that is Commandos, and then Spiders. I'm going to be doing this for a very long time and for me this pace is a bit slow. Maybe you play more than I do but my goals are nowhere near reached and for many people who don't play as much as you or I, they still need to have some achievable goals. If anything, I'd like to see the rate of xp/cbill gain increased.

#7 DrSecretStache

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 483 posts
  • LocationWherever the Cbills flow

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

I contend with the fact that I have no mechs mastered, and only about 12k gxp at the moment, having only unlocked sensor range lvl 1 and advanced zoom.

Anecdotes, while thought provoking (Yes, I should try harder), are unfortunately not enough to quantify reality. Except ours, of course.

I recommend getting more mechs, and mastering them as well :)

#8 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 11 April 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

I currently have 2 cicadas, 3 Trebs, 3 Hunchbacks, 3 Jagers and 3 Atlai all mastered. Nothing on the horizon interests me. In retrospect double XP weekend was a bad idea as it will result in some players temporarily retiring for lack of grind. I need a Devastator or Bushwacker soon.

Joy....now someone who's advocating for increased grind.

If the thing that draws you into a game is the grind....and you need more of it....MWO shouldn't be the game for you. Grind is never the incentive that should be drawing someone to a game.

CW isn't in yet. The battles have yet to have a point. If you're measuring your involvement in the beta-testing on whether or not there's enough grind....you're missing the point entirely.

#9 Paula Fry

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 521 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Opinions everybody has one....

Edited by Paula Fry, 11 April 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#10 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

I acknowledge some people have a backlog of mechs, but at some future time you will eventually catch up to the rate at which they are releasing new mech chassis. That is the core of this thread.

#11 Khell DarkWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

Nothing on the horizon interests me. I need a Devastator or Bushwacker soon.

Someone gets it!

The argument is not the grind, but the other options to play in other mechs with our limited choices in "Chassis's"

And I got ninja'd :)

Edited by Khell DarkWolf, 11 April 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#12 Kobold

• Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

I don't understand people who see "xp grind" as a goal in and of itself.

#13 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

Yet another reason......Yawn...Zzzzzzzzzz

#14 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 11 April 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

I acknowledge some people have a backlog of mechs, but at some future time you will eventually catch up to the rate at which they are releasing new mech chassis. That is the core of this thread.

I haven't yet, and don't see myself every simply because I play casually usually and there content is coming out just fast enough that I don't make any headway.

#15 Homeless Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

I play more than I should, and I still struggle to keep up. You should consider going outside.

#16 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostRoland, on 11 April 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

The point of this game is not to grind mechs.

The point is to kill other giant robots with your giant robots.

Once you have mastered all of the mechs, the game isn't over. It's the point at which you can focus on "grinding up" the only thing that actually maters, which is your skill as a pilot.

So true, I really don't feel like I'm playing a mech for real until it's mastered as that's when you really know how good/bad it is.

#17 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 11 April 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

I could easily have played, mastered and owned all of the mechs by now, but haven't chosen to do so. If your only reason to play this game or any game is for the grind...I doubt you're enjoying it much at all. Regardless, THAT in and of itself is not a reason to increase the grind factors of this game.

If you're finding it too easy to gain the Mechs you want, expand your horizons and try something outside of your self-imposed comfort zone, learn to accept the fact that the Devs aren't beholden to just your interests..or prepared to be bored mate. That's about it for options.

#18 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

How much money have you spent on the game?

#19 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 11 April 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

I play more than I should, and I still struggle to keep up. You should consider going outside.

#20 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 11 April 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

How much money have you spent on the game?

Veteran Founder package + plus one MC recharge(for mech bays), no vanity items, no paint.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users