The Lack Of Courtesy And Chat

108 replies to this topic

#21 Child3k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

I very much prefer "HF & FL" over "HF &GL" ... the second one is too mainstreamy ... <_<

Edited by Child3k, 14 April 2013 - 09:25 AM.

#22 Noobzorz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 14 April 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

The biggest lack of courtesy in chat is when people start spamming GG when the game ends 8 - 0. That's not a good game, that's a sign that ELO needs to be fixed.

"GG" is like saying goodbye. They aren't saying "THAT WAS A GOOD GAME AND EVERYONE HAD FUN." It's the done thing.

#23 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostNoobzorz, on 14 April 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

"GG" is like saying goodbye. They aren't saying "THAT WAS A GOOD GAME AND EVERYONE HAD FUN." It's the done thing.

That could be your interpretation. For me it means what it says, that the person felt that this was a good game...and there are likely those out there that do feel that a shutout is a good game. To me, it's bad sportsmanship.

#24 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

There is nothing social about using dead phrases like gl hf.

That said we desperately need a Lobby.

#25 bloodnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Locationwarrington Cheshire UK

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

i always get the sense i talk to much in text chat. but now im in a group i use TS and it seems just right now

#26 GODzillaGSPB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostGODzillaGSPB, on 14 April 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

Honest answer? I hate the chat. it's poorly implemented. In the pre-match-screen and when you're dead, "All" is the standard which is just stupid. When you've typed something in and realize you hit the wrong button - "All" instead of "Team" - you cannot hold backspace to erase the message. Or when you type something and the chat swallows the message when you die, or at the start of the match when the mech startup sequence plays.

BUT THE BEST PART IS that, since open beta, the chat does not support people who use a joystick (or in my case a throttle). Whenever I open the chat, my mech stops dead. And that is the main reason I keep quiet for the most part.

If PGI ever fixes that, expect more chatter from players with joystick / throttle or otherwise more chatter because it works better in general.

View PostNiko Snow, on 14 April 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

Genuine Sportsmanship is a rare and precious thing. I'm glad we have plenty of it, despite a few who don't partake.
I usually go with "Happy Hunting"™

It feels a bit like p*ss*ng one in the face claiming it's raining. :D <_<

Edited by GODzillaGSPB, 14 April 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#27 Pewpewzapzap

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostCabusha, on 14 April 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

I've been playing since the old closed beta days, and I'm still amazed at how quiet people are. I regularly type out a friendly "Good Hunting" or "Good Luck, Have Fun" to everyone, and seldom get a reply from the opposition or even my own team.

If it wasn't for socialization with my guild, I'd have dropped this game long ago. The community is just absurdly anti-social.

I hear that, if it weren't for finding the community TS servers I would have quit the game.

Every time I run into someone with even a smidgen of courtesy or interest in working together I immediately add them to my friends list. Does that me a stalker/weirdo? Yes. But courteous, team oriented players are so rare that I will chance being a creeper if 1/10 people accept and want to group up again.

But yea, as all weight of comments suggest "welcome to the internet" I think thats just the world we live in at the moment.

#28 Echo6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationNorman, Oklahoma

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

I often wish death upon my honorless dog enemies and tell them as much. I usually get a reply.

#29 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

1) People don't respond because the matches last for about 3 minutes, and you have 30 seconds to start and finish a conversation. Few people like to keep talking when the shooting starts.

2) In 50% of my matches, I will start a random conversation about donuts, waterskiing or ponies. 50% of those conversations lead to some good fun, and 50% of them lead to me being flamed or alpha'd in the back by a teammate. Anything beyond "gl hf" seems to be quite polarizing.*

3) I haven't played a lot of multiplayer games, except I've played a lot of CounterStrike, Mass Effect and Diablo, as well as a couple of major MMOs. I have not seen evidence that other games have a better social community.

#30 FunkyFritter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostSheraf, on 14 April 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

You can yell something in the All chat like

I WILL KILL YOU ALL

That helps keep the mood going, at least type something <_<

That's generally not the sort of thing one says while piloting a spider :D

#31 Han Turaya

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostSolomon Ward, on 14 April 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

That said we desperately need a Lobby.

Exactly. The current chat system is that you must wait for the receipient to be in their mechlab/home to chat. That's just stupid. Why can't we send out the message and the other guy can just reply when he/she finished match or get online.

PGI promised us integrated voice chat in the future. Can't wait to see how that'll turn out.

#32 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

I HATE, LOATHE, and ABHORE the "ggs" after an 8-0 buttstomp. It isn't a good game, it is a terrible game. If it were a good game, it would have been a close match. I appreciate what they're trying to say but in reality they're just tossing the fight back in your face. GG your team, not the people you just crushed.

#33 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

Random player: "GL HF"
Roadbeer: "Don't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL dad"

It usually opens up a dialog. Engage people and they'll respond. Otherwise you're just a text version of the B Betty startup sequence.

Engaging people doesn't mean, "********, got the mini-map bug, and this F'in map again, I hate it". That gets the universal "Less QQ, more pewpew".

#34 Demoned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 670 posts
  • Locationi Died went to heaven, then died again now I'm in Equestria

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

i just find it odd, that you can have a better chat with the enemy,
than you can with your own team <_<

#35 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostCabusha, on 14 April 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

I've been playing since the old closed beta days, and I'm still amazed at how quiet people are. I regularly type out a friendly "Good Hunting" or "Good Luck, Have Fun" to everyone, and seldom get a reply from the opposition or even my own team.

If it wasn't for socialization with my guild, I'd have dropped this game long ago. The community is just absurdly anti-social.

You are playing a competitive video game. No one wants to hear GLHF every match. It's repetitive, its derivative and its pointless. If you have to write something, give people a heads up when enemy is coming from and help your team win.

#36 Mhyth

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

Most folks are keeping quiet at the start of a match watching for strategy comments - if glhf turned into a chatty 'Oh great to see you Bill. How things? Fine. Fine. And you? Good. I saw Bob last match - his mechs put on a bit of weight...' I've never team killed anyone yet - that might be the start. <_<

#37 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostNiko Snow, on 14 April 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

Genuine Sportsmanship is a rare and precious thing. I'm glad we have plenty of it, despite a few who don't partake.
I usually go with "Happy Hunting"™

Truth be told, when I first began playing back when Open Beta first kicked off, I was taken back by all of the "Good luck, have fun" types of salutations. I've PvPed in every MMO that I've played since UO back in '99 and there has never been any level of sportsmanship in any of those games. Most of the chat boiled down to l33t sp34k of some sort with each game getting progressively worse. So, I do appreciate the before game chat. But damn if that end game "gg" just grinds me the wrong way when I lose badly.

#38 Denno

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

Sometimes I will type in something random in the (usually wild and unsubstantiated) hope that people will respond.
Like: "Once upon a time there was a...."
I mean, what kinda person could resist continuing that??

Last night I started typing in a song I crafted but ran out of time because folks started whaling on me. There's critics and then there's critics, I suppose.

Stomping through the snow
In a one man Fatty hey
O'er the fields we go
HUD bugs all the way
Streaks on backside ring
Laser response seems right
What fun it is to laugh and sing
With state rewind tonight!

Oh, 3L sells, 3L hell
3L all the way
Oh, what fun it is to leg
a 3L all the way
Oh, 3L sells, 3L hell
3L all the way
a 3L all the way

A day or two ago
I thought I'd take a ride
And soon another Fatty
Was stomping by my side
Then Jenners came to call
Misfortune seemed their lot
8 Large Lasers later
Their legs they flew apart

Oh, Jenners sell, Jenner hell
Jenners all the way
a Jenner all the way
Oh, Jenners sell, Jenner hell
Jenner all the way
a Jenner all the way

But humor, or attempted humor, isnt exactly courtesy. I will say that excessive, mean spirited, smack to/by anyone is annoying to me and I try to resist it sometimes by lying about the smackee: "Dude, he's in a wheelchair and got some problems, he's trying his best, so ****" or whatever seems appropriate.

#39 buttmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

yet another reason to have an integrated chat/lobby/voip

#40 Muhvi

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

I only say something if i think it is funny or if i have something to tell, i think gl hf is kinda redundant and i don't hope luck for my enemies.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users