Keep Dying In 3-5 Shots; What Am I Doing Wrong Here?

127 replies to this topic

#121 Luther Varone

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

I cannot seem to find the tab to change my engine..

I checked out one of the aforementioned builds with 2 Gauss Rifles and 1 energy weapon, with a 300 XL engine and Standard armor. How is standard better than FF? Ever since switching to FF I've been lasting longer in firefights, that is, taking a little less damage than before.

And so I finally have enough CB to get that Dragon, but every time I used the Trial Mech Dragon I'd do terribly, so I'm afraid it'll be a waste. This Cataphract has begun to grow on me, but perhaps it's simply all the work and time I've put into it...

#122 qki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Ferro Fibrous armour is lighter (giving more points per ton), but takes 14 slots on a mech. Some mechs don't have 28 free slots to mount both FF and Endo Steel, and the benefits of ES are always greater than FF (you're better off taking ES and adding standard armour, than taking FF without ES).

#123 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostLuther Varone, on 04 May 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

I cannot seem to find the tab to change my engine..

I checked out one of the aforementioned builds with 2 Gauss Rifles and 1 energy weapon, with a 300 XL engine and Standard armor. How is standard better than FF? Ever since switching to FF I've been lasting longer in firefights, that is, taking a little less damage than before.

And so I finally have enough CB to get that Dragon, but every time I used the Trial Mech Dragon I'd do terribly, so I'm afraid it'll be a waste. This Cataphract has begun to grow on me, but perhaps it's simply all the work and time I've put into it...

Okay. Surprised this thread is still going, but I do see why.

The main issue on the first page was the armor placement. 201 armor is lower than the maximum a commando can use, and you know how easy those are to kill by now. Doesn't even take 2 shots of AC/20s.

Also with ferro armor, you get 12 points per ton instead of 5 so there's a huge drop when you lower it. You only get more points of armor to distribute per ton, which means you have to drop it that much more when you do lower it just to free up the same amount of space. Could just as easily free up tons by compromising on weapons. You could consider trading the ER Large Laser for a medium, giving you the weight you need. Ferro does not soak up damage better. It is identical.

To your current dilemma, the same tab you have heatsinks on is the one you need for engines. First you must remove your current engine. It is in your Center Torso.
Posted Image
Take note of my armor, heat efficiency, and such. This Cataphract is using 5 Medium Pulse lasers (It's a Hunchback 4P!) with an AC/2. Regardless of what I use, though, I try to keep the armor all the way up. You want the most armor you can get. And if you have to sacrifice, you want to sacrifice very little.

#124 Fluffy Kitten

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationplanetside

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

sounds reasonable

#125 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

I always liked this build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0f868a18c86d1b7 (Brawler)

There are also the 4/5x LL builds - those are pretty damn scary.

#126 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

That's solid and survivable. Good speed, AC/20, 5 medium lasers. Decent heat efficiency.

#127 Luther Varone

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostKoniving, on 07 May 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

That's solid and survivable. Good speed, AC/20, 5 medium lasers. Decent heat efficiency.

I will give the AC/20 another shot, literally, maybe now with better knowledge on armor placement, ammo distribution, and general game mechanics it won't be as suicidal as before.

#128 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostLuther Varone, on 10 May 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

I will give the AC/20 another shot, literally, maybe now with better knowledge on armor placement, ammo distribution, and general game mechanics it won't be as suicidal as before.

The key to Garth's suggested build is to either attack as part of a swift-moving group, or to catch the enemy by surprise. Don't rush across the field of Alpine without cover. Ambush; sweep in from the sides, and quickly take out enemy high-firepower areas. Try to concentrate all firepower or as much as possible on one part of the enemy. Don't spread it out; this isn't a first person shooter. It matters where you hit.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users