60 replies to this topic

#1 Homeless Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

I don't really care about the poptart fiasco. It sucks for us brawlers, but it won't last forever. Last night, though, I got to do a lot of thinking while waiting for brawls to break out, "What would happen if all of the systems supporting 90 tons worth of weight just shut down in mid air?"

I'm thinking it would drop like a rock, hit the ground, take a fair amount of leg damage, and fall over. Sarna says, "Myomer require large amounts of electrical voltage to function, with the larger "muscles" obviously requiring more energy than smaller." From a standing position, I can easily see them having enough strength sans electricity to keep a 'mech upright. Falling from the sky? Not so much.

My fix for poptarts is to implement knockdown for 'mechs that shut down in mid-air (a decent amount of leg damage would be nice, too). It force snipers to be more cautious with their heat, but mostly it would be ******* hilarious.

I'm picturing standing behind a sniper team of two Highlanders and a Cataphract, all of them taking turns firing, falling from the sky, faceplanting, and getting back off the ground to do it again.

It wouldn't fix all the problems, but it sure would make the wait less boring for the rest of us. Make it happen, PGI =D

Edit: You could argue that knockdown was super glitchy with teleporting and all sorts of nonsense. I'd argue that would only enhance the comedic value of my solution.

Edited by Homeless Bill, 19 April 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#2 Echo6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationNorman, Oklahoma

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

I'ma fix it by just bypassing and cap rushing if I see a poptard.

#3 SMDMadCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

This idea is epic hilariousness. Just need to add heat for jumping.

#4 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostSMDMadCow, on 18 April 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

Heat for jumping should already be there, it's not a lot but it is there...

#5 zraven7

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

...I can't stop laughing thinking about this.

#6 BladeSplint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Or you could just shoot at them like a normal person

#7 Smeghead87

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

I've been 'fixing' every poptart I see by firing lots of medium lasers at their backs. They don't seem to like it though, it's almost as if they don't want me to fix them.

#8 SMDMadCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostLugh, on 18 April 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

Heat for jumping should already be there, it's not a lot but it is there...

If it is, I havent noticed it and it should be cranked up to a semi-significant amount.

#9 therealswilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNot Tellin' ya foo's

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

Oh christ. I thought about this when the Hunchback 4P was the bane of our existance.

I always though, a mech like that running that fast? It should trip over everything, including itself.

#10 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostSMDMadCow, on 18 April 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

And cockpit shake, welcome to MWLL.

But that would be too a rational approach, does not apply.

#11 BladeSplint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostEvilCow, on 18 April 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

And cockpit shake, welcome to MWLL.

But that would be too a rational approach, does not apply.

There is already a pretty noticeable cockpit/reticle shake when JJing.

#12 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

Don't get me wrong here - I don't hate on poptarts the way other people do. I just get bored waiting for my turn to be useful with the current state of the metagame. I'd really like some slapstick comedy to hold me over.

You've got to admit that it makes no sense for a powered down 'mech to be able to counter that much downward force. You've also got to admit that it would be hilarious to have a 'mech on each team face-down in the dirt at any given time.

#13 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 18 April 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

I don't really care about the poptart fiasco. It sucks for us brawlers, but it won't last forever. But last night I got to do a lot of thinking while waiting for brawls to break out, "What would happen if all of the systems supporting 90 tons worth of weight just shut down in mid air?"

I'm thinking it would drop like a rock, hit the ground, take a fair amount of leg damage, and fall over. Sarna says, "Myomer require large amounts of electrical voltage to function, with the larger "muscles" obviously requiring more energy than smaller." From a standing position, I can easily see them having enough strength sans electricity to keep a 'mech upright. Falling from the sky? Not so much.

My fix for poptarts is to implement knockdown for 'mechs that shut down in mid-air (a decent amount of leg damage would be nice, too). It force snipers to be more cautious with their heat, but mostly it would be ******* hilarious.

I'm picturing standing behind a sniper team of two Highlanders and a Cataphract, all of them taking turns firing, falling from the sky, faceplanting, and getting back off the ground to do it again.

It wouldn't fix all the problems, but it sure would make the wait less boring for the rest of us.

My Atlas brawler does fine ... you just need to be able to get close. You can either, let your own pop tarts distract their pop tarts. Sit back and wait for someone to engage them at close range and then blast em. The other way is to use cover and get in close. You want to get where you only have to fight one at a time. Pop tart vs Atlas is bad news for pop tart.

#14 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostBladeSplint, on 18 April 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

I am not sure if the reticle shakes at all (I will verify), the problem is that the current implementation does not affect jump sniping much if at all, I can headshot without problems jumping.

#15 Maliconus

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationNorthwestern U.S.A.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Jump Jets engaged, altitude 300 meters,(Fuel at 25%), Firing PPC's,(System Shutdown). "WTF....Oh this can only end in tears"

#16 TOGSolid

• 1,212 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

I can't argue with any of this just because it'd mostly be funny as ****.

That said, the only map I've seen where poptarts are really a huge problem is Alpine but that map is amazingly broken so no surprise there.

#17 SMDMadCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostBladeSplint, on 18 April 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

I can confirm this is NOT true.

#18 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

In my mind, poptarts aren't terribly imbalanced right now. But I'm not a fan of the overheat back into cover business (I do it all the time when I'm running a poptart, and I think it's ********). I think heat management should be a much bigger deal in this game. Besides being hilarious, I think flying overheat knockdown would be a small but costly enough nerf to balance things out.

It's clearly a joke, but it's really not that bad of an idea...

Edited by Homeless Bill, 18 April 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#19 BloodGhost

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

I'm only annoyed by poptarting when the entire teams do it.

Talking with a friend, we had another rather (imho) funny idea. More or less like alpine forced people to take long range weapons when it was added to the map-pool.

A moon map. Low gravity. If somebody jumps, it'll take ages for them to land. Maybe even make them drift int o the void if they jump too high. We had moon maps in past battletech games, so it wouldn't be anything new and would add variety. There is also something vindicating in the idea to see poptartes leave orbit, never to come back.

People who played Unreal Tournament with mutators (or some specific maps) might understand how hilarious that can get.

Edited by BloodGhost, 18 April 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#20 FireDog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

I saw a highlander get killed at the top of his "pop" the other night.. gauss or PPC to the CT. He hit the ground like a tall, slack sack of potatoes. A heat shutdown would have the same result.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users