Saving Loadouts

65 replies to this topic

Poll: Save custom Load-out (339 member(s) have cast votes)

Add "Save custom Load-out" feature?

1. Voted Yes (330 votes [97.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 97.35%

2. No (9 votes [2.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:22 AM

By all the mechs! YES!

Let us friggin save multiple mechbay loadouts and CW dropdecks!

That would make things soooo much easier..

I didn't test the new mechbay, but I hope it has (or will have) this functionality..

#42 boxbox

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:38 PM

Great idea but oh how the Mech mechanics are going to curse you!
"He want that variant again. SH#$%! STRIP THE MECH BOYS!!

#43 Strikeshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:58 AM

Given the poll results, I really doubt this feature will remain absent for long.

#44 Savage Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:12 AM

View PostStrikeshadow, on 09 August 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

Given the poll results, I really doubt this feature will remain absent for long.

Depends because this will make it easier to reduce the grind in the game and so affect the business model. And so far PGI has been stubborn about giving us options to reduce grind.

#45 Strikeshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:09 AM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 09 August 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

Depends because this will make it easier to reduce the grind in the game and so affect the business model. And so far PGI has been stubborn about giving us options to reduce grind.

They are playing with fire. They had better carefully watch their player numbers because they have already come very close to bankrupting the game by ignoring players.

#46 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:39 AM

View PostStrikeshadow, on 09 August 2015 - 10:09 AM, said:

They are playing with fire. They had better carefully watch their player numbers because they have already come very close to bankrupting the game by ignoring players.

Quite true. Just saying that while we players agree that it's a good for us, PGI might not agree that it is a good thing for them. Even if I think that it actually would be.

#47 Desocrate

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:59 PM

View PostStrikeshadow, on 09 August 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

Considering this poll dates back to august 2013, this feature has already been absent for along time. Fingers crossed they're working on this tho.

#48 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:29 AM

View PostDesocrate, on 05 October 2015 - 10:59 PM, said:

Considering this poll dates back to august 2013, this feature has already been absent for along time. Fingers crossed they're working on this tho.

Bump the thread every day. There's no reason why this shouldn't be on the front page of suggestions every day until it is addressed.

#49 Ardent Haste

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts
  • LocationTx

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:18 AM

I would like to see the system operate as a planned drop. When you plan an operation, you think about the Mech you bring to the planet (Map) you are going to. It could operate along these lines:

-Mech saves are based on inventory - ie at the beginning of a match all items are in a 'pool'
- prior to the map vote, you identify the chassis you want - Raven, Shadow Hawk, etc, from either your available Mechs or trial Mechs.
- after the map vote, you pick the saved build for that Chassis (you pick from a list of only valid builds). If the Mech is a trial Mech, you don't get to pick - it comes with what it comes with.

This can add a dimension to the game that is more realistic. It substitutes complete randomness with a feeling of mission planning - example, you can coordinate your camo and heat to the operation you are heading into.

I would like to see the system operate as a planned drop. When you plan an operation, you think about the Mech you bring to the planet (Map) you are going to. It could operate along these lines:

-Mech saves are based on inventory - ie at the beginning of a match all items are in a 'pool'
- prior to the map vote, you identify the chassis you want - Raven, Shadow Hawk, etc, from either your available Mechs or trial Mechs.
- after the map vote, you pick the saved build for that Chassis (you pick from a list of only valid builds). If the Mech is a trial Mech, you don't get to pick - it comes with what it comes with.

This can add a dimension to the game that is more realistic. It substitutes complete randomness with a feeling of mission planning - example, you can coordinate your camo and heat to the operation you are heading into.

#50 Brawler1986

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:46 AM

Totally Yes!

And I would like to see a loadout and camo selection before you actually drop. If people can adjust their loadout according to the map characteristics then you actually solved multiple problems:

- Players are going to be more creative with loadouts. No more META laser vomit builds, but also AC's and LRM's. This is because people know what they can expect. Long range map > Guasses, LRM's, PPC. Close combat map > AC20's, SPL's MPL's. Hot map > Going AC's. Cold map > Going laser.

- Players are going to be more creative with camo. No more Black paintings in Alphine Peaks.

The thing now is that people are going for the general loadout solutions which works on most of the maps. Since the chance to get a hot map is low, people are building laservomit builds (especially now players can choose their own cold map).

The challenge for the developers are how to implement this in the game, because you don't want to configure your whole mech again when a different map is selected then what you expected. Also you don't want to let other players wait for each other that long.

A solution might be:

Let the user create various of loadouts and camo in the mechlab. Every type of variation of loadout needs to be saved in order to be used in the preparation of the drop. Saving those variations require dedicated equipment and resources. So if you would like to run a build with AC's and another build with Lasers, you need to "bind" those weapons and ammo to your mech.

When you are finished creating those variations and you think you are ready for the challenge the following will happen:

- Select your mech with the variation.
- You hit Play
- The game starts searching.
- A 30 seconds voting screen will appear when a match has been made.
- Map and game mode has been determent.

Now comes the interesting stuff:
- A 10 second window will appear where you can select your predefined variations from a list and select the predefined camo.
- After 10 seconds the map will load and you are ready to burn some metal!

Edited by Brawler1986, 06 November 2015 - 06:48 AM.

#51 Doctor Dinosaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:03 AM

Sooo... I guess this feature is still being programmed, right? *bump*

#52 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:59 AM

If they add Save Loadout Variant then they could add a "Select Mech Variant" option for 30 seconds before the match launches.

Then you would have tactically enabled MechWarrior combat, which is the best kind and easier on developers since they no longer have to balance the weapons to work for every range. Selecting the variant for the map adds the extra challenge of selecting a load-out that will work for that map's terrain and ranges. It's the escape from vanilla weapons in different wrappers to tactically enabled weapons.

#53 30ft SMURF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:26 PM

I suppose its not a horrible idea, but I think custom drop decks in community warfare are more important... though this feature would make the game better as dropping blindly on random maps in a predetermined mech is one of the most ignorant choices made by PGI. Though to be clear they ignore anything related to the lore if it isn't easy for them to deal with so good luck.

#54 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:13 AM

iirc from the last town hall meeting Russ already shot this idea down and he stated he won't ever implement it.

from my take after listening to parts of it(such as this type of idea) he more or less tells people they have to suck it up and deal with it.

edit:
was referring to someone else who was talking about being able to chose a load out for each map/mode type.

Edited by VinJade, 24 April 2016 - 09:14 AM.

#55 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:35 PM

I've said it once and I'll say it again. I doubt we'll ever get this feature unless it's monetized. Say, for example, it costs 50 MC to have an additional loadout for a mech variant.

Problem is, that's probably less money for PG, even if they still monetize it:

-With the current system: You want to run your ENF-4R with PPCs and Mediums, but you also want to run it with ER Larges. This means you need to buy an additional mech bay and purchase the other mech. That's 300 MC they're making.

-I'd also imagine some of the money PGI makes is from selling MC when players get 'sick of the grind' and decide to go straight for the MC to fast track their mech collection. Probably a smaller percentage of people, but it's still a way for them to make money.

Having free additional loadouts for mechs would hurt their income, so I doubt they're going to do this soon, or ever. Now, if it COSTS something, I can see them doing it. But free? Doubtful.

#56 mushis

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:28 AM

Hi, 6 month old player here

I'm very annoyed about this missing feature. I'm old, and i hate wasting time in loadouts. We all wait enough time already to get a game started.

I hope someone at PGI takes this feature request very seriously.
I have a proposal for a quick and simple implementation of this.
  • Option to automatically strip unselected mechs
  • have loadout profiles for each mech (one as the default one when the mech is selected)
Giving a bit more detail: stripped mechs means that your inventory is free to be used by whatever mech. When you select a mech, his default loadout profile is automatically loaded. When you change the selected mech, the one that was previously selected is automatically stripped (this could be a checkbox under Options).

You manage your profiles exclusively on the mechbay.
Then the usage: With a simple listbox you toggle between saved profiles (this listbox location could be: mechbay, homepage, the dropship mech select, and right before the drop on PUGs).

This, from an usability point of view, imo is the ideal. and should be easy to implement (little effort for pgi). source: me working with software usability for years.
Comments?

Edited by mushis, 06 May 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#57 mushis

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:54 AM

Continuing my last post, now with the super duper detail on special scenarios.

For Faction Play you have to load profiles for 4 mechs. Obviously, if you don't have inventory to load all 4 mechs, the affected profile must be invalid and the player must be able to change the loadout.
a picture
Posted Image

About the red note (*): The user must be able to save a loadout without saving it to a profile.

Edited by mushis, 06 May 2016 - 06:55 AM.

#58 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:03 AM

mushis,

I agree that saved load outs for mechs would be a good thing. Alas, I don't think they will ever give it to us. I believe that PGI's logic here is that if you want to have 6 different loadouts for mech X, then you should go buy 6 of mech X and load them out as desired. In other words giving us the ability to save loadout bites into their profit center, so I don't see it ever happening. While Russ did state at the last town hall that saved drop decks for FP would be introduced, even here they still plan on milking us by giving 2 decks "for free" while additional ones will cost MC.

Edited by Bud Crue, 06 May 2016 - 07:04 AM.

#59 mushis

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:08 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 06 May 2016 - 07:03 AM, said:

I believe that PGI's logic here is that if you want to have 6 different loadouts for mech X, then you should go buy 6 of mech X and load them out as desired.

wow

if that is true, my opinion on PGI just changed.

About paid dropdecks: again, if its true, it's sad. just sad. and cheap.

Edited by mushis, 06 May 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#60 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:41 PM

View Postmushis, on 06 May 2016 - 08:08 AM, said:

wow

if that is true, my opinion on PGI just changed.

About paid dropdecks: again, if its true, it's sad. just sad. and cheap.

It is a free to play game, so they have to make money somehow, I don't blame em.

But yes absolutely a load out save would be amazing. Maybe make it a premium only feature to store new loadouts so PGI can make their money?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users