Repent Now, Heathens, And Accept Lrms As Your New Savior.

40 replies to this topic

#1 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

Posted Image

I look around the forums today, and all I see is people speaking of the end. The end of MechWarrior, the end of PGI and the end of viable weapon systems. There is much wailing and gnashing of teeth as the time of the great PPC and Gauss sorrow consumes the population!

I hear them cry out that something should be done.. they say "Nerf them!" and defile the name of a popular toaster pastry as these weapons rain down from the skies like wrath from an angry Norse God.

But let me ask you, brothers and sisters, at what point did we find ourselves in this dark path? How did only two weapons become viable to the untrained player? Surely they must be overpowered, only now being discovered? Lies, I tell you, for they are not overpowered! No, this wrath is because you have turned against your savior, the missile.

Let us read passages from the forums two months ago, when this weapon was called an abomination by the ignorant who did not understand that it was already inferior at it's job: They called it the harbinger of the end. Splat cats cannot be stopped, I hear. LRMs are easy mode, I hear, and weep for their misunderstanding and hope for their redemption as they come to understand good tactics.

Now let me ask you, what happened when this harbinger was struck down? Two more rose in it's place like unto a beast of legend, more dominant before. Because what you demonized was your savior all along.

When the LRMs rained from the heavens and brutally punished the slow, the large and those foolish enough to move without cover, and arc'ed to follow the tightest of flights, did we have this problem? When the SRM could tear hot PPC 'mechs limb from limb, on a fast moving medium?

No, I say to you, we did not! Should we strike this latest victim down, I say unto you that the Large Laser shalt replace it and the AC/20 after that, with no end until all is useless!

Brothers and sisters, let us stop calling for nerfs and start calling for buffs. Let us buff the Pulse Lasers to deliver their damage faster. Let us increase artillery to savage defensive positions. Let us see LBX/10 that do damage, and let missiles return to their glory, so that the SRM may smite these foes from the field and the LRM end those who do not move with skill.

Let us turn from the ignorance of demonizing things we do not understand, calling for their doom without considering the consequences.. and start seeing calls for buffs, and we will see the light!

Can I get an AMEN?

Edited by Victor Morson, 19 April 2013 - 11:08 PM.

#2 Inconspicuous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

I do miss missiles...

#3 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

Yeah no dice.
LRMs were countered by snipers going peek+shoot, not the other way around.

If you want to discourage sniper boats you should be encouraging light and medium mechs, things that are fast/small enough they're hard to hit, and once in close range can frag snipers.

#4 DCLXVI

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

my fully front armoured atlas nearly got one shot by gold founder stalker "thegrinch" so they having to be taking min/max into consideration. but there has to be a better way to do this because the way it is, there is absolutely no point in arming a cat or ddc with lrms. its time to unjam the uac/5, 2 working uac/5 dosnt comptete with 4-6 ac2's, and I don't think anything can arm more than 3 anyway.

#5 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 19 April 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

Yeah no dice.
LRMs were countered by snipers going peek+shoot, not the other way around.

In serious games, you are quite correct. What is happening in PUGs now (having spent an unfortunate amount of time in a 4 man) is people continue their tactics that are on par with that of a zombie (Move towards person, attack), so that you have these insanely slow 6 PPC stalkers just waltzing across the open or sky lining on a hill.

If LRMs are rebuffed (and in fact made superior to how they were before - I am in HUGE agreement on the travel time decrease), this "lumber at them in a line with PPCs" stuff will disappear almost immediately. That's what kept them in check before (and no serious games used LRMs because of their ****-poor ability to hit their target.)

View PostDCLXVI, on 19 April 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

my fully front armoured atlas nearly got one shot by gold founder stalker "thegrinch" so they having to be taking min/max into consideration. but there has to be a better way to do this because the way it is, there is absolutely no point in arming a cat or ddc with lrms. its time to unjam the uac/5, 2 working uac/5 dosnt comptete with 4-6 ac2's, and I don't think anything can arm more than 3 anyway.

AC2 boats are horrible. Way too hot to be effective.

#6 Brilig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 667 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

I'm not sure how missiles that need to maintain their lock with a long time to target are going to counter someone poptarting behind cover. You rarely see a poptart long enough to get a missile fix.

With a good spotter and some high ground they might work. But that's provided they don't shoot your spotter, or you on the ground high enough to shoot over their hill.

#7 Vilheim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

9/10.

Also,

View PostDCLXVI, on 19 April 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

4 UAC/5 Jager.

#8 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

i miss the rain...

Posted Image

#9 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

Can't a brother get some love for MGs and Flamers? Heck yeah!

#10 bigdaddynash

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Locationout the back

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 19 April 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

Can I get an AMEN?

No, tl:dr.

I want balance not a savior.

#11 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

View PostBrilig, on 19 April 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

I'm not sure how missiles that need to maintain their lock with a long time to target are going to counter someone poptarting behind cover. You rarely see a poptart long enough to get a missile fix.

With a BAP, that part is no problem.

And also, again, this is less to stop the expert players from using cover and more to stop "Tons of PUG assaults wander at you firing hilariously hot alphas" that is dominating the non-serious games right now. If you tried that two months ago you'd been dead in 10 seconds.

View PostDeathlike, on 19 April 2013 - 11:03 PM, said:

Can't a brother get some love for MGs and Flamers? Heck yeah!

Hallelujah!

#12 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

i think anyone who complains about toaster snipers has like...never played a fps?

think about Battlefield for a minute. you hop in a jeep, go for a flag, then some dude snipes ya. so you get out your sniper rifle, and then blam, ya get sniped. so you get out your shotgun and fly to the dude, parachute on his head and blam, he nails you with a pistol or something. in Battlefield i think i would live for only a few minutes per life and i was pretty good at that game... im exagerating but you get my point.

so what makes MWO different?
why are people so up in arms about being one, two, or three shot?
how many shots should it take to kill you?
don't you realize that if they can do it, so can't you?

ya know what happens when i die in MWO? I go, "Awww, i'm dead." just like allllll the FPS before it.

i do wish missiles were better though, simply because i enjoy locking on! dunno why, i just do.

#13 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 19 April 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

There is much whaling and gnashing of teeth as the time of the great PPC and Gauss sorrow consumes the population!

whaling.
Posted Image

wailing.
Posted Image

#14 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

View PostMycrus, on 19 April 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

whaling.
wailing.

Curse you, auto correct! You may have won this round, but you've not heard the last of me!

#15 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

Clan LRMs scoff at all arguments. Gah, Clan SSRMs I should say.

#16 Brilig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 667 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

View PostBoPop, on 19 April 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

so what makes MWO different?

Its a MechWarrior game. Not an infantry simulator. Its supposed to be a giant stompy robot slug fest.

#17 jeffsw6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY (suburbs)

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

View PostVilheim, on 19 April 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

4 UAC/5 Jager.

You can certainly build that mech but it won't hold much ammo without having minimal armor or being very slow. Either way, it's not survivable and it has no real alpha-strike when compared to PPC/Gauss or mechs with a lot of SRMs. The mythical 4 UAC/5 Jagermech is one cheesebuild I am not concerned about.

#18 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostBrilig, on 19 April 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

Its a MechWarrior game. Not an infantry simulator. Its supposed to be a giant stompy robot slug fest.

yea but how many slugs should it take? what if you hit me SQUARE in the cockpit with an AC20? what if you hit me square in the cockpit three times with an AC20? think it should take more? five times? at what point would you be satisfied?

don't forget one of the wisest of all sayings, "Do unto others, before they do unto you what you should've done to them first."

#19 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

View Postjeffsw6, on 19 April 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

You can certainly build that mech but it won't hold much ammo without having minimal armor or being very slow. Either way, it's not survivable and it has no real alpha-strike when compared to PPC/Gauss or mechs with a lot of SRMs. The mythical 4 UAC/5 Jagermech is one cheesebuild I am not concerned about.

But... But... I love my ultra-dakka machine. True, it's barely useful, but it's guaranteed for at least one enemy death (maximum of 2) each battle.

#20 CrashieJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

bask in the light of what is now plinkers!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users