33 replies to this topic

#1 Yig

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

I've been thinking about getting into Highlanders but I'm not sure which one to pick.

Leaning towards the 733P to start.

So I'd like to know what people are running.

#2 Ser Barristan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWesteros

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

HGN-732

HGN-733C

HGN-733P

#3 Staplebeater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:46 AM

HGN-733P

HGN-733C

Here are the two builds that i am currently running along with my Heavy Metal

#4 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

I run a all around 732

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c90d7960688c55a

#5 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

I like my highlanders to handle differently, the 732 and 733 were too close to other builds (though the 733 can be a very good brawler), I went with the HM, 733C and 733P. With the current 'ranged game' each build has to have the ability to reach out and hit. I don't prefer jump sniping, though if I did the 732 would be an easy choice.

First:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6076d7d6132f371

This build is my 'compromise' build. If SRM's were valuable, I'd go with 3xML and 2x6ASRM, but as of now this build is more reliable. Though I could go 3xLLas with either a 275 or swapping the gauss to an AC10, I prefer the 300's responsiveness. The 275 handles more like an atlas.

Next:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0652567c4e2af97

A very good 'brawler' build. Once again I would swap around the lasers and switch to SRM's if missiles were worth it (atm they aren't for example a SRM 6 with 1 ton of ammo is 4 tons and 3 criticals for 9 damage @ 270 meters. In reality you need to be much closer than 270m for all 6 missiles to hit. The Large Laser is 5 tons and 2 crits for 9 damage @ 450m - with the ability to concentrate damage....not that hard a choice for me).

Lastly:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9729a8606f59e32

This is the only mech I use on conquest. I love the extra speed, and while 4xLLas are a bit of a heat issue, I set up my firing groups so I primarily use 2 at a time.

Ironically I have my best success with the HM, do the most damage per game with the 733C but have the best K/D ratio with the 733P. Your guess is as good as mine as to why. The ability to quickly turn with JJ's has enabled the Highlander to replace the Atlas as my favorite mech.

Lastly, there is no reason to use the Highlander over the Atlas if you're going to not equip Jump Jets. I consider 2 the minimum, but can easily be convinced to switch to 3. If SRM's become valuable again, I would be more tempted to use more ML's and SRM's which would allow less heatsinks and more JJ's.

Edited by Moenrg, 04 May 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#6 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

A nearly stock HGN-723. Kept the weapons, switched ferro for endo, and relocated and slightly modified ammo load (more LRMs and gauss, less SRM). Other than that, maxed armour and took a couple of points off the back to put on the front.

Why change it when it works?

EDIT: Linky McLinkage

Edited by Kargush, 05 May 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#7 LapsedPacifist79

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 134 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

It's nearly 3AM here and I'm half cut so I can't be arsed to make it up in smurfys... :D

Anyway, I've had some fantastic results in "Cheradenine" here and when I'm done levelling my Hunchies I'll be buying some more HGN's.

HGN-732

Endo, Standard Armour, DHS(15), STD Engine 325, Max Armour (apart from a little off the legs) and no JJ's.

Gauss rifle (3 tons) 2 ER LL and 2 SRM4 (2 ton).

I could fit more guns or jets but I just love the little bit of extra speed in something that can take such a battering.

Edit: And with my top notch piloting skills survivability is always a bonus.

Edited by LapsedPacifist79, 05 May 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#8 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

man, I've tried all sorts of load outs and for the last 10 rounds I've been kickin butt with this set up on my 733P

left click is my two ERLL (which helps me keep ERPPC boats heads down while I advance)cuz they fire faster and don't heat me up too bad, got ams to help against lrmboats.

right click is for the 2ML, 2SSRM, SRM6(which I kept on left arm to aim up or down with it, streaks in LT do their own thing. I wanted the 1 ERLL and 1ML on right arm for when my arm gets blown off I still have 1 ERLL and one ML in my RT.

nice engine lets me scoot pretty good with speed tweak. fast fire w/all those double heat sinks and quick ignition for when I alpha too much makes it pretty good. the last 5 or 6 rounds in particular I got 1-4 kills and 500-800 dmg.

that one jump jet lets me do a little pop-tarting and quicker turns in CC and also lets me get around a little better. but I prefer to get into the thick of it and the jump jets add to an overheating issue. legs just have my ammo for 1ton ams 1 ton srm 1 ton ssrm. soon i'll have the module slot and plan on putting 360target retention it.

i'd like any tips on how to make this a little better too but so far I've been doing all right as long as my wife isn't downloading something on her laptop while facebooking on the ipad and her phone and watching Netflix through the Wii. *sigh* women....

Posted Image

Edited by BoPop, 05 May 2013 - 09:34 PM.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostBoPop, on 05 May 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

I'm kicking butt but I still messaged ya to try to improve my rig!

Yo yo! I heard you like ER Large Laserin', so I made sure you got your ER Larges so you can go Laserin'.
Heard you like to go vroom, too, so I tricked out yo' engine, check it!
Also heard you like Beagles that Anally Actively Probe things, so I got you a BAP on yo' head, too.

Well actually it's in your gut, but bappin' your gut doesn't sound right, ya dig?

Check it.

---

Okay enough of that. I pimped your ride.

First off, I curse you for making me put this much work into it. I have not tested it yet, but I took your build and I did this.
Same build can work with ERLL in the side torso, too, allowing you to use the mediums against lights as well. Just swap some single-slot locations around and move the affected DHS into the arm.

Posted Image

This keeps my personal armor configuration, honestly you can allocate it however you like. Ammo's distributed around the mech in highly padded areas because lots of spiders are going for the legs for ammo explosions. This prevents that. The chance of exploding from losing a limb is less than 2% due to the heavy padding. Still if you become a zombie, you ain't gonna be able to jump. But hey, you got BAP.

Edited by Koniving, 06 May 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#10 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

I will give it a day in court thanks kon!

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

First test went well. Snuck up on a dragon, then after taking him out I got surrounded and brawled with 5 other mechs at the same time. Killed 3 mechs total, survived. Someone tried to leg me but that was about it. Only shut down once. Tourmaline desert loves those center map brawls.

---------

Second test. River City day. Got two kills. Almost died. After brawling with a Stalker, being harassed by a Raven 2x, and some Heavy Metal trying to PPC me I got engaged with a Catapult. Spent a good 3 minutes trying to get his cockpit while peppering him with streaks. Tough pilot. He stripped my armor on CT and LT. When he was lining up his killing blow I JJ'd into the air, aimed down fired two volleys of all 3 SSRMs and then fired the ER LLs. Can't tell if I got him by CT or Cockpit. Doesn't matter, though.

Survived. All components intact (except a DHS; one of those was destroyed).

Edited by Koniving, 06 May 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#12 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

Here's what I run... It operates well at all ranges, can apply direct damage and the SRM's can hit like a shotgun up close:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e82243421f89c49

I've had great games with it - 4 kills, over 700 damage (for me, that's great.)

#13 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

A good fire support Highlander that I use is the HGN-733C and I usually average 500-600+ damage per match. Got twin ALRM15s for range and an AC20 and twin ML for close range damage. Though not as fast as my CPLT-C1 it can take massive amounts of punishment. Other than that I run a HGN-HM that's stock except for a slight engine upgrade and ALRM15 instead of the LRM20 and I added an extra ton of gauss rifle ammo.

#14 Yig

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

I spectated someone in a 733P and he was doing great. He did get 5 kills in the match.

From what I've seen of his loadout, he was using 2 ER PPC, 3 ALRM 15 and a Tag.

Not sure about engine, armor and number of JJ.

How would you guys make that work?

#15 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

This is really the only way that I can see it being viable http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a437ee01770d9ef problem is the ERPPCs run so hot you need lots of heatsinks so you have to run a huge engine to have room for heatsinks inside the engine plus you need several tons of ammo for 3 LRM15s to last more than 2 sec out there. Since it is late and I just slapped this together it probably is not what he was using. Maybe someone else can find a way to keep the JJs; since why use a Highlander without JJs, might as well use a Stalker.

Edited by FireSlade, 06 May 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#16 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:02 AM

HGN-732... Gauss rifle, 3 LLs, 2 SRM6s, 1 SRM4 with XL325, 1 jump jet, 14xDHS, ES, and a little bit of armor shaved of. 66pt alpha strike at 1.16 heat efficiency, but more importantly, 42 pts of pinpoint damage at 450m. Grouping the GR on both weapon groups (with the lasers AND the missiles), will give you a lower-heat 39pt alpha inside 270m with more of a spread. Tears stuff up, but obviously this is a build where you want to be sure you start engaging targets before they get to 270m whenever possible. The heat is very manageable, but it's not quite good enough to run through mech after mech with at point blank ranges unless you're dropping coolant pods. This mech is quite literally a side torso removal machine. One clean volley can do that to just about anything. It's an AC20 jagermech's worst nightmare.

#17 Demosthones

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

HGN-733P: 4 PPC, 3 SSRM2, 18 dbl heatsinks, and fill in the rest with jumpjets. Stick an XL 325 in there and take endo. This is a hot mech. You can get out 120 dmg in 9 seconds, but then you have to wait for the heat to go down. I usually only have issue when I get swarmed by mediums or lights. That is what the 3 streaks are for. This can get incredible dmg. I have had 1000+ matches in it.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:45 AM

View PostYig, on 06 May 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

I spectated someone in a 733P and he was doing great. He did get 5 kills in the match.

From what I've seen of his loadout, he was using 2 ER PPC, 3 ALRM 15 and a Tag.

Not sure about engine, armor and number of JJ.

How would you guys make that work?

Definitely would have to be using an XL engine to fit that weight. Assume an XL 300 engine. You could keep the armor almost default. My own LRM build for a 733 uses twin LRM-15, twin LRM-5 (it used to use 3*LRM-15 and LRM-10 with Artemis), tag, and an ac/2. I changed the missiles a bit because 5's recycle faster (better for making sure I get the kill) and to carry enough ammo to make it worthwhile. Had issues of running out of ammo. Also squeezed in an extra heatsink and a medium laser.

#19 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostDemosthones, on 07 May 2013 - 05:37 AM, said:

HGN-733P: 4 PPC, 3 SSRM2, 18 dbl heatsinks, and fill in the rest with jumpjets. Stick an XL 325 in there and take endo. This is a hot mech. You can get out 120 dmg in 9 seconds, but then you have to wait for the heat to go down. I usually only have issue when I get swarmed by mediums or lights. That is what the 3 streaks are for. This can get incredible dmg. I have had 1000+ matches in it.

You've played 1k+ matches in a mech that can't even damage an ECM brawler? You're either incredible at keeping your distance or a glutton for punishment. :)

#20 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostMoenrg, on 03 May 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Thanks! I love this build so far. I was struggling a bit and copied this build you have. So far my KD has been increasing much more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users