100+ Ton Super-Assault Mech?

362 replies to this topic

#121 feetjai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationThe netherlands

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

100 ton plus mechs why not? These mechs will give the game another boost.
Let's say we have a new type of PVP: kill the colossal first.

both sides have a colossal mech and who kills this one first wins.
This would be an interesting fight. The playing area must then have deep canyons or high mountains to shelter the colossal mechs, otherwise they could instant attack echother.

#122 Aethon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

Alright, I have to ask: to all of you suggesting mechs over 100 tons, how much would you say you know about Battletech?

I only ask because not once in any non-DA Battletech novel do you ever hear of this. Not once in any respectable Battletech video game were they featured. Not once in any real TT scenario will you encounter one.

#123 Athena Hart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHesperus II (Or Spanaway, Wa IRL)

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:29 AM

Yeah, you go get your 135 ton mech.. I never really looked at the technical manuals after the 3058 one as they started getting silly by trying to one-up all the older weapons and clan weapons.

Take any mech you want, against my Overlord Class Dropship (Don't worry.. mine doesn't carry 36 Battlemechs, only 12... and a Battlemech Repair Facility) and I promise "I" won't use any of the mechs. Can't vouch for their pilots though. :lol:

#124 Kittygrinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRocking the boat.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

In Dark Age there were 3 legged 100+ assault mechs. But anyone who knows anything, knows that Mechwarrior Dark Age is NOT considered to be canon.

#125 OskaRus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:45 AM

I think there are enough mechs under 100t which have to be added first, then clan tech and then real year 3025 prolly just comes.

#126 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

View PostKittygrinder, on 06 June 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

In Dark Age there were 3 legged 100+ assault mechs. But anyone who knows anything, knows that Mechwarrior Dark Age is NOT considered to be canon.

Just because you want something, doesn't make it true.

#127 CG Chicken Kn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationSt. Catharines, Ontario

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

Only one reason I would want the OP to have his monster mech. So when the release Clan omni mechs I can dance around him, peeling his armour slowly, savouring each bite, as I dodge/jump/weave, unhittable by any of his weps. Peeling his arms off one, and then the other. In MW3 the funniest thing ever was watching new people bring a daishi or annihilator out. We would make a point of one-shotting it by putting a laser burst through his windshield. "tink!" "You win a new mech!"

#128 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:03 AM

I have another name for 100+ ton mechs: sitting ducks. Seriously they'd be so slow it would be too easy for a light mech to just stay in its rear with impunity.

#129 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:06 AM

View PostTramalhas, on 05 June 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

They have.
http://www.sarna.net...es_(BattleMech)

Not sure how Canon it is, but it seems to be pretty canon as far as i can tell. Maybe some of the more knowledgeable members can help out.

EDIT: Ninjad by three people.... Im losing touch.

It's canon, unfortunately.
On the bright side, it'll be some 100 years before we'll get to see it.
The Omega (150t) gets a debut much earlier - 3079, iirc.

Other than those two?
Nope, not going to happen for a long time.
So they won't be in this game.

#130 Kittygrinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:20 AM

View PostSporkosophy, on 06 June 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

Lol. The current Battletech timeline steers completely away from dark age. Therefore, Dark Age is not canon.

#131 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:24 AM

View PostKittygrinder, on 06 June 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

Lol. The current Battletech timeline steers completely away from dark age. Therefore, Dark Age is not canon.

Where did you hear that? According to the line developer, the BattleTech timeline is supposed to catch up with the Dark Age and start moving forward again next year.

#132 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

View PostSporkosophy, on 06 June 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

It's a reboot. Good thing about reboots is that you can take the good stuff from the source material, and jettison the parts where people writing it had brain farts/were drunk/ran out of ideas/tried one-upping in desperation/simply had ideas that didn't turn out as good as they seemed. Canon is not wholly untouchable and holy, it's not enlightened truth, it was written by people who had some awesome ideas and some not-so-awesome ideas. The spirit of the whole can be preserved without recreating every single bit.

No need to take all the suck with all the cool. No need to repeat past mistakes.

PGI can make the bad things go away.

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 06 June 2012 - 06:34 AM.

#133 eldelbarrio2

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBeing Lazy.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

View PostGmac, on 05 June 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

NO NO NO NO! NO x100,000,000! Mechassault is a game that is extremely frowned upon by the Mechwarrior and Battletech community. That mech isnt even canon.

#134 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 06 June 2012 - 06:31 AM, said:

It's a reboot. Good thing about reboots is that you can take the good stuff from the source material, and jettison the parts where people writing it had brain farts/were drunk/ran out of ideas/tried one-upping in desperation/simply had ideas that didn't turn out as good as they seemed. Canon is not wholly untouchable and holy, it's not enlightened truth, it was written by people who had some awesome ideas and some not-so-awesome ideas. The spirit of the whole can be preserved without recreating every single bit.

No need to take all the suck with all the cool. No need to repeat past mistakes.

PGI can make the bad things go away.

There is no reboot. The reboot was what MW5 would have been; but that was changed. The reboot is a lie.

#135 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

A Proposal we make a Competition:
You take an Ares Figure and build it up in Front of me, and i take one of my Atlas Figures and throw it at it.
( I will take the revised Atlas, the one they make, so the Atlas is taller then the others Mech, not the standard "small".)
Or i use my Nakinata.

And then we know:
95 or 100 Tons mechs simply Shatters a 135 Ton mechs.
(And yes i take my most massiv Figures which are very good for throwing to shatter this plastik Crap Wizkids made)

Back to topic following the OLD Canonical Books had the Starleague big Problems buildung non Humanoid Assault Battlemechs because of the Heavy Armor. Behemoth is mentioned in the Books, that he was just battleready to defend Earth for Amaris when Kerensky arrived, after several Years of Bugfixing the Gyro and Steering.

Intime 3049 we just recovered about 90% of the Abilities of the Star League.
The Clans maybe able to build such Monsters but they don't because they prefere agil Mechs. Quadmechs like the Goliath have other Problems like very few Crit zones and for Tripods i think it's the same as with the Behemoth very complicated Gyro systems.

So we need at least 2067 Tech for Useable 100+ Mechs. Like Cyberware enhanced pilots WoB used to enhance Gyroscope abilities XXL reactors etc etc. This Technologie was developed during the Clan invasion by the Clans (Protomechtechnologie), a hard War enhances Technologie.

I prefer the old System of Tech over the newer.. and i guess we will see first lot of Tech 1 Equipment with some Tech 2 Equipment.
Later more Tech2 Equipment. Tech 1 is standard and Tech 2 is Lostech/Clan tech.

And no Tech 3 Equipment for a long while. ( Jihad and some 2067 stuff is Tech 3)
And without Tech3 no 100+ Mechs.

Wrong one Tech3 came out 2060. Coolant injection. Otherwise MW3/4 are Tech2 only.

Edited by Elkarlo, 06 June 2012 - 07:04 AM.

#136 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

View PostSporkosophy, on 06 June 2012 - 06:53 AM, said:

There is no reboot. The reboot was what MW5 would have been; but that was changed. The reboot is a lie.

Redesigned mechs, timeline with player involvement with new facts that didn't appear in previous works (which means that, if it's not a reboot, it's retroactive continuity), early access to pulse lasers and similar tech... things are changing already.

Those things make it a reboot as far as I'm concerned. No need to force hated stuff down the players' throats.

#137 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

View PostElkarlo, on 06 June 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

A Proposal we make a Competition:
You take an Ares Figure and build it up in Front of me, and i take one of my Atlas Figures and throw it at it.
( I will take the revised Atlas, the one they make, so the Atlas is taller then the others Mech, not the standard "small".)
Or i use my Nakinata.

And then we know:
95 or 100 Tons mechs simply Shatters a 135 Ton mechs.
(And yes i take my most massiv Figures which are very good for throwing to shatter this plastik Crap Wizkids made)

A 150 ton 'Mech, on the other hand, might not go down so easily... :lol:

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 06 June 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

Redesigned mechs, timeline with player involvement with new facts that didn't appear in previous works (which means that, if it's not a reboot, it's retroactive continuity), early access to pulse lasers and similar tech... things are changing already.

Those things make it a reboot as far as I'm concerned. No need to force hated stuff down the players' throats.

Art is considered the lowest form of canon, how much player involvement there is in the timeline has not been confirmed, and Pulse Lasers and the other confirmed weapons are available in 3049 in canon already. I'm not seeing that much rebooting.

Edited by Arctic Fox, 06 June 2012 - 07:09 AM.

#138 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

View PostArctic Fox, on 06 June 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

Art is considered the lowest form of canon, how much player involvement there is in the timeline has not been confirmed, and Pulse Lasers and the other confirmed weapons are available in 3049 in canon already. I'm not seeing that much rebooting.

However much player involvement there is, it's more than "zero" that the original continuity gave, which makes that players will retroactively write new "canon". The weapons weren't available, they were discovered and in top secret R&D, not introduced to the militaries and definitely not to merc bands until later. In this continuity it was announced that they'd be made widely available already, which would constitute a "canon breach" for the purists, and is a sign that PGI doesn't seem to mind deviations from the beaten path.

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 06 June 2012 - 07:15 AM.

#139 Kittygrinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

View PostSporkosophy, on 06 June 2012 - 06:53 AM, said:

Youre mixing up your reboots.

A few years ago, Battletechs parent company went out of business, Wizkids game bought the btech IP and made what is notoriously known as Mechwarrior: Dark Age. It was Mage Knight with mechs, just really really bad. The story was the word of blake( i think) went nuts and nuked everyone and everything and put the IS and Clans in a "dark age". Thats where this Ares 100+ ton mech comes from.

A couple years later Catalyst Games bought the Btech IP (and Shadowrun :lol: :rolleyes: :lol:) and basically rebooted everything back to 3072 and moved from there. The Word of Blake did have their Jihad, but were beaten, and they nuked a few people, but it didnt go the way of dark age.

The Mechwarrior Video game reboot is that awesome trailer that we saw a few years ago, and never heard from again, to now with MWO.

Edited by Kittygrinder, 06 June 2012 - 07:19 AM.

#140 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

hmmm

even asking about crud tech such as 100+ mechs, is as pointless as constantly asking for clan mechs, when we haven't even got a game with many IS mechs actually running yet.

For those who hadn't heard, they actually made the Omega as a 150t ltd edition.

borrowed from LoTB

Posted Image

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users