Jump to content

Sentinel's 3D Printed Mech Toys


306 replies to this topic

#161 TheStrider

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 570 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

Dang... Now I have to clean up the drool off my keyboard!

#162 Malleus011

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

Just so PGI is aware, I, too, would pay money for these models. In whatever scale (classic TT or 1/60th preferred).

#163 Sentinel373

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

Hi guys, it's been a while since i posted here but i'm working on a new project still battletech but not MWO related.

I recently contacted Anthony "Shimmering-Sword" Scroggins and asked if I could make a CBT scale miniature of his Marauder redesign (featured on the cover of XTRO: Succesion wars). he agreed and gave me some sketches and a reference model he used to make the painting of the marauder. and i got to work.

And here is the result about a week in. i only have time to work on this a few hours each day so progress has been slow but i figured i'd get some feedback here.

Feet are still very much work in progress.

Source Art:
Posted Image

The model:
Posted Image

As always critique's and comments are always welcome.

Edited by Sentinel373, 17 August 2013 - 11:03 AM.


#164 Tennex

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostSentinel373, on 17 August 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

Hi guys, it's been a while since i posted here but i'm working on a new project still battletech but not MWO related.

I recently contacted Anthony "Shimmering-Sword" Scroggins and asked if I could make a CBT scale miniature of his Marauder redesign (featured on the cover of XTRO: Succesion wars). he agreed and gave me some sketches and a reference model he used to make the painting of the marauder. and i got to work.

And here is the result about a week in. i only have to to work on this a few hours each day so progress has been slow but i figured i'd get some feedback here.

Feet are still very much work in progress.

Source Art:
Posted Image

The model:
Posted Image

As always critique's and comments are always welcome.


AWWW YISSS looks great. i feel like the toes need to be bigger on the model though. either that or the shin/calves smaller.

#165 Sentinel373

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostTennex, on 17 August 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:


AWWW YISSS looks great. i feel like the toes need to be bigger on the model though. either that or the shin/calves smaller.


i havent done much on the toes and shin yet these are just placeholder for now. most of the work has gone into the torso and arms

#166 DirePhoenix

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostSentinel373, on 17 August 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

Hi guys, it's been a while since i posted here but i'm working on a new project still battletech but not MWO related.

I recently contacted Anthony "Shimmering-Sword" Scroggins and asked if I could make a CBT scale miniature of his Marauder redesign (featured on the cover of XTRO: Succesion wars). he agreed and gave me some sketches and a reference model he used to make the painting of the marauder. and i got to work.

And here is the result about a week in. i only have time to work on this a few hours each day so progress has been slow but i figured i'd get some feedback here.

Feet are still very much work in progress.

Source Art:
Posted Image

The model:
Posted Image

As always critique's and comments are always welcome.

Have you done any rotational tests to see if there are any points where the legs might block arm movement (especially on torso twist)? It looks like it should be clear, but sometimes you can't tell until you actually build the model

#167 Tennex

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostSentinel373, on 17 August 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:


i havent done much on the toes and shin yet these are just placeholder for now. most of the work has gone into the torso and arms


ah i see those look great.

its a shame when i think about it but a MWO version would definatley lose those rounded curves.

Edited by Tennex, 17 August 2013 - 11:21 AM.


#168 Sentinel373

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 17 August 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

Have you done any rotational tests to see if there are any points where the legs might block arm movement (especially on torso twist)? It looks like it should be clear, but sometimes you can't tell until you actually build the model


The arms are very wide apart so twisting the torso is no problem at all. The only point where movement is quite restricted is in the arms themselves. they can't move much further forward than they are now. (they can move back quite a bit though)
as for the rest we'll have to see when we get there. the way the shoulder pods are built though does mean that the cannon cannot rotate (dunno if that was a feature of the original marauder)

#169 Bishop Steiner

    ForumWarrior

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,130 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostSentinel373, on 17 August 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

Hi guys, it's been a while since i posted here but i'm working on a new project still battletech but not MWO related.

I recently contacted Anthony "Shimmering-Sword" Scroggins and asked if I could make a CBT scale miniature of his Marauder redesign (featured on the cover of XTRO: Succesion wars). he agreed and gave me some sketches and a reference model he used to make the painting of the marauder. and i got to work.

And here is the result about a week in. i only have time to work on this a few hours each day so progress has been slow but i figured i'd get some feedback here.

Feet are still very much work in progress.

Source Art:
Posted Image

The model:
Posted Image

As always critique's and comments are always welcome.

I know it's not "true" to Shimmering Sword's original art, but I think if you slimmed/narrowed the legs by 10%, while likewise bulking up the arm weapon pods by 10-15% it will re-attain some of the gangliness that was a trademark of the original Marauder.

I have always felt that as awesome as the design was, that it's heft made it more suited to a Marauder II, at 100 tons, annd that the Catapult style legs really add heft to the look.
like so
Posted Image
Just my 2 cts.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 17 August 2013 - 11:47 AM.


#170 Sentinel373

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 August 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

I know it's not "true" to Shimmering Sword's original art, but I think if you slimmed/narrowed the legs by 10%, while likewise bulking up the arm weapon pods by 10-15% it will re-attain some of the gangliness that was a trademark of the original Marauder.

I have always felt that as awesome as the design was, that it's heft made it more suited to a Marauder II, at 100 tons, annd that the Catapult style legs really add heft to the look.

Just my 2 cts.


Thats exactly what I didn't like about the original marauder. hence why I wanted this version.

#171 DirePhoenix

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostSentinel373, on 17 August 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:


The arms are very wide apart so twisting the torso is no problem at all. The only point where movement is quite restricted is in the arms themselves. they can't move much further forward than they are now. (they can move back quite a bit though)
as for the rest we'll have to see when we get there. the way the shoulder pods are built though does mean that the cannon cannot rotate (dunno if that was a feature of the original marauder)


Ah yes. Well, if we were to ever have a Marauder that looked anything like this in the game I suppose it would also be important that the arms can't move in a way that they could blow their own cockpit out with their arm weapons. </cue RoboCop 2 suicidal prototypes>

#172 Bishop Steiner

    ForumWarrior

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,130 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

torso was still bugging me, so reduced it by 10.2 pct.
Posted Image

yes, I know, blasphemy to dare modify the Mighty Marauder of Shimmering Sword.

#173 Bishop Steiner

    ForumWarrior

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,130 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostSentinel373, on 17 August 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:


Thats exactly what I didn't like about the original marauder. hence why I wanted this version.



Not a problem, definitely NOT telling you how to do it.

Just pointing out what I personally didn't like in the SS version (hence my "well known" dislike toward it). You asked for input, that was my input. It makes for a hell of an Assault Mech, but loses all the grace (IMO) of the Marauder in the process. The original was always described as insectile, crab-like, lean, vicious looking. Again, IMO, Anthony's design (while a far superior artist to myself) never had any of those attributes.

#174 Marack Drock the Unicorn Wizard

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 6,792 posts
  • LocationNecroposting in K-Town

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

hey sentinel do u want cash or checks? Or how about a religion started in your honor where people pray to your amazing abilities. If u would like to stay in your domain of eternal awesomeness until your gold statue is constructed then I will understand.

#175 Rovertoo

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 29 June 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

and here there was all that hub bub about people building guns with 3d printers. leave it to table top people to find a good use!


I've got the files for that Gun if you want it! I downloaded them just before the FBI closed the site! I love myself some second amendment!

On topic, though, amazing 3d mechs! I've dabbled in printing my own Mech designs, but these are stellar!

#176 Valcrow

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

Looks great!! can't wait to see it completed!

The body proportions are good for me. It could the be the angle that we're viewing the model, kind of difficult to tell how the gun is placed, but the mounting part of the cannon on top looks like it should be a lot beefier and higher. The thingie sticking out of his back/side on camera right looks like it should be the mount for the gun according to the concept art whereas in your model it's looks like a separate piece.

Posted Image



Again, not sure if it's angles messing with my head or artists interpretations.. Looks great none the less.

Edited by Valcrow, 17 August 2013 - 04:52 PM.


#177 Sentinel373

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

Right now the two weapon pods are mirrored since they share a similar shape. once i'm done with the one that houses the heat sink i'll move onto the one that houses the gun. i just put it there to get a better feel for the model. but you're right that the gun pod isn't right yet.

here's a picture of the other side. as you can see its similar but slightly taller.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Sentinel373, 17 August 2013 - 04:59 PM.


#178 Valcrow

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Ah I see, I always thought marauders had a single gun centered at the top. Asymetrical guns would make sense for the image, if it was hidden behind the CT.

#179 Sentinel373

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

wel the old one does but this redesign doesn't because they had to find a way around the whole unseen issue

#180 DirePhoenix

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostValcrow, on 17 August 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

Ah I see, I always thought marauders had a single gun centered at the top. Asymetrical guns would make sense for the image, if it was hidden behind the CT.

The original art had the dorsal cannon displayed on the Center Torso but the stats put it in the Right Torso (you can't fit an AC5 in the CT). Making new art means being able to redraw it into something that makes more sense for the game instead of chaining yourself to what someone else drew for an entirely different purpose.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users