306 replies to this topic

#261 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

Hi guys,
its been a while since i checked on this thread.
Let me once again repeat for everyone who hasn't read the entire thread and those who keep flooding my PM inbox with requests.

I do not give out my files, I do not sell the figures, and I have lost my interest in Battletech as a whole. So no I will not produce any more figures. If you want to print battletech mini's yourself I'm afraid you're going to have to clean the game files yourself, or find someone else who's willing to sell/give/make them for you.

For those curious as to why i'm no longer interested in this, its not because of PGI or anything to do with Mechwarrior online. its because of the entire situation that surrounds the Shimmering Sword version of the marauder mini I did. I can't go into detail about it but basically what it boils down to was that it was a waste of effort on my end. And it has basically destroyed my enthusiasm for Battle tech.

So for the time being I've moved on to other projects. perhaps in the future i'll come back to it but it's unlikely.

#262 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostSentinel373, on 02 November 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

For those curious as to why i'm no longer interested in this, its not because of PGI or anything to do with Mechwarrior online. its because of the entire situation that surrounds the Shimmering Sword version of the marauder mini I did. I can't go into detail about it but basically what it boils down to was that it was a waste of effort on my end. And it has basically destroyed my enthusiasm for Battle tech.

So for the time being I've moved on to other projects. perhaps in the future i'll come back to it but it's unlikely.

What situation? I just did a quick search of your posts and can't find any 'situation' regarding SS's Marauder. SS gave you his files to work from himself. He even came on here and approved it. Is it because his art was used for the cover of XTRO:SuccessionWars (which probably means Topps owns the design of that specific variant now)? The last thing posted from Shimmering Sword was him talking about strong-arming CGL into making it "official" which means IWM could then make "official" minis of it... but that was in Sept. and XTRO:SW was printed with his art back in November of last year...

#263 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostSentinel373, on 02 November 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

Hi guys,
its been a while since i checked on this thread.
Let me once again repeat for everyone who hasn't read the entire thread and those who keep flooding my PM inbox with requests.

I do not give out my files, I do not sell the figures, and I have lost my interest in Battletech as a whole. So no I will not produce any more figures. If you want to print battletech mini's yourself I'm afraid you're going to have to clean the game files yourself, or find someone else who's willing to sell/give/make them for you.

Shame that it panned out that way for you man, I enjoyed the work you were doing, and appreciate the effort that went into it. I was looking forward to seeing more of your projects, and I think the mwo community will be poorer for their absence. Hopefully you rediscover a bit of passion for the BT stuff somewhere along the way.

#264 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:56 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 02 November 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

What situation? I just did a quick search of your posts and can't find any 'situation' regarding SS's Marauder. SS gave you his files to work from himself. He even came on here and approved it. Is it because his art was used for the cover of XTRO:SuccessionWars (which probably means Topps owns the design of that specific variant now)? The last thing posted from Shimmering Sword was him talking about strong-arming CGL into making it "official" which means IWM could then make "official" minis of it... but that was in Sept. and XTRO:SW was printed with his art back in November of last year...

it has nothing to do with shim himself, he's been great through this whole ordeal and it's definitely not his fault. And the debacle didn't happen publicly on this forum. like i said i can't go into detail.

Edited by Sentinel373, 03 November 2013 - 04:03 AM.

#265 mp00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 319 posts
  • LocationIn a bottle, Canada

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:01 AM

Just want to say thank for the work you did, it looks beyond awesome. While im disappointed in not seeing more or the chance to purchase some it was just great to see. Thanks and good luck on your future works.

#266 Seijin Dinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 259 posts
  • LocationEdmonds, WA

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Sentinel
I am sad you have lost heart because I want to say that your minis that you have made are absolutely beautiful

If you do make more in the future please share pictures of them, as they are well done, and very high quality

#267 BIix

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

Sentinel,

Thank you for your work. It was awesome. The BT community is worse off not having you continue this work. Unfortunately, this tells me that BattleTech and MechWarrior will never be what it can be, and what all of the fans want it to be. It seems the shadow that follows the IP wherever it goes finally caught up.

Thank you for taking the time to address my question, though I didn't PM you I apologize if I struck a cord. Did read most of the thread before hand, but not all of the filler comments in between your updates and images.

Good Luck with whatever project you take up next, I hope you can find the joy that has been stripped from you here.

#268 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

That's really sad to hear. :/

Whatever the situation, I can only assume it's rights/legal based, Please don't consider your work a waste. It may not go where you intended but that shouldn't dilute the fact that you've helped and inspired many people along the way, and done some really great work.

May your inspiration find you projects more deserving of your talents.

#269 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

Bummer.

I think I called it a couple pages back. I imagine powers that be are particular about their exclusive rights to produce CBT minis. Or something like that.

#270 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

Well, I can tell you that there are people who are making and selling MWO mechs in CBT scale, so that probably wasn't it.

#271 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 05 November 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

Bummer.

I think I called it a couple pages back. I imagine powers that be are particular about their exclusive rights to produce CBT minis. Or something like that.

Nobody actualy has exclusive rights to produce MWO minis. PGI has license to do their own artwork, but no to sell any kind of merchandise. As Eximar stated above - they are people who make and sell limited runs of MWO (and MW4) minis, both in N-scale and CBT.

Edited by ssm, 05 November 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#272 Patryn

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKutztown, Pa

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

Just wanted to throw my thanks out there as well. Having just went through all 14 pages of this thread was fun and exciting to watch you progress. Having tried my hand at modeling and also running my own 3D printer this as inspiring to me. I would love to sit for an afternoon with you and learn the fun of it all. Hope things go el for you sir and see you one again on the battlefield!

#273 elde

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

So.

I stumbled on this thread by accident, when searching for the new BattleTech Introductory Set or sets of miniatures etc. I am very impressed, and read all the 14 pages of the thread with huge expections of PGI, IWM or CCL or whoever finally agreeing to make these minis, or the 3D-files or guides to make my own. The models are so absolutely fantastic, I would've given my kidney to get them.

I feel sad for things turning out like they did, and hope that someday in the future you find BT and this work again, and set out to get these produced.

#274 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

So yeah, say you cannot sell these.... What about the files? Man, I LOVE minis to the point of criminal obsession... Even if I have to buy a printer and make them myself... I've been jonesing for PGI to market minis of their stuff since day one, I would buy them all, several times over....

#275 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:42 AM

View Postssm, on 05 November 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

Nobody actualy has exclusive rights to produce MWO minis. PGI has license to do their own artwork, but no to sell any kind of merchandise. As Eximar stated above - they are people who make and sell limited runs of MWO (and MW4) minis, both in N-scale and CBT.

And I quote>

Iron Wind Metals LLC — and its progenitor Ral Partha — have been producing science fiction and fantasy miniatures for over twenty years. They hold, together with Ral Partha Europe, the exclusive rights to their award-winning line of BattleTech miniatures.

And even if it weren't exclusive, IWM are the only company afaik with a license to produce battletech miniatures.

View PostEximar, on 05 November 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

Well, I can tell you that there are people who are making and selling MWO mechs in CBT scale, so that probably wasn't it.

None of them have a license agreement from Topps to do so.

Edited by Ghogiel, 15 December 2013 - 05:50 AM.

#276 uebersoldat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

Well damn, this sucks. After reading a recent 'what's happening with Battletech' panel where practically nothing cool is being done with the TT stuff and reading the conclusion of this thread I'm thoroughly depressed.

CGL could and should be pushing this product into the mainstream with better designs and more and varied products. At least we're getting a new intro box set this spring with better minis than the last round.

Oh how I long for CBT minis with the MWO art and produced at GW level quality. :D

#277 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

None of them have a license from Topps and no one who is buying them cares.

IWM is garbage, so people have to resort buying bootleg merchandise because no one makes quality mechs under license.

#278 GeeSeXaaR

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHull, UK.

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

Sorry u lost heart Sentinel. Thank you for the great work you did and sharing it with us. Same for Shim too.

Col

#279 TheGreatNoNo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

Wow, this sucks. Makes not want to upload my cleaned up mech files , least I get my *** ripped off.

#280 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 15 December 2013 - 05:42 AM, said:

(...)
And even if it weren't exclusive, IWM are the only company afaik with a license to produce battletech miniatures.
(...)
None of them have a license agreement from Topps to do so.

It's not a case here. We have two licenses at work:

BT TT one - Topps/CGL/IWM - Board game, original artwork, minis, but not computer games.

MW games one - Microsoft/IGP/PGI - MWO & Alex's artwork, no physical merchandise.

MWO garage kit minis are somewhat in gray area inbetween - they aren't covered by Topps/CGL/IWM license, because artwork is produced under Microsoft one (they have no rights whatosever to MWO designs, so they cannot file a lawsuit unless PGI started to make minis themselves, and thus violate license)

On the other hand, owners of digital rights (MS, IGP, PGI) don't have any real interest in taking action against makers of MWO minis, because:
- They aren't really hurt financially by violators - they can't make minis themselves, so no lost profits there.
- Those runs are usually done by hobbyists - they are small, limited and don't actually render any meaningful profit (unless sb would make them in hundreds and sell them for 30$ or so)

Edited by ssm, 27 December 2013 - 10:47 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users