We Need A New Weapon.

183 replies to this topic

Poll: New weapon system. (384 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see a new weapon system?

1. Yes (259 votes [67.27%])

Percentage of vote: 67.27%

2. No (126 votes [32.73%])

Percentage of vote: 32.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

they can't balance what they have

nothing new till PPCs are nerfed and SRMs are buffed

#42 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

I miss my Heavy Gauss from the MW4 expansion pack. This was a special weapon, I actually took the leg off of a light unit with one shot.

#43 MacKoga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

• The feet of the Highlander doing a DFA attack.
  • Three talons on the left hand of the YLW for melee.
  • Knockdowns when appropriate.
  • Not-knockdowns, but collisions that still manage to upset the aiming of an opponent mech.
  • Appropriate damage and trouble from collisions.
  • Hatchets.
Also:
  • Properly effective MGs and flamers.
  • Inferno SRMs
  • Arrow IV's and Longtoms
  • Mech Mortars that can launch alternate ammo such as smoke rounds.
  • Alternative rounds for the AC if they're available in the timeline.

#44 Tlmitf

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:19 AM

Fix the stuff we have now.
I LOVE the MG, but its major weaksauce - I have two MG's mounted with my AC20 on my hunchy - backed up with a few medium lasers.

Pulse lasers need to be high damage, short range, massive heat generating brawler weapons - not some crappy alternative to regular lasers that no one uses.
Think RAC of the laser world.

MW2 had minimal weapon systems, and minimal mechs - did quite well for itself.
MW3 was more, and did well - scavenging parts meant that the bigger list of weapons wasnt scary or off-putting (and was explained by the story very well)
MW4 ended up with a bajillion mechs (which was nice) and a million different weapon systems, which was bad.

We do need something to fill the tonnage gap between MG's and AC/2's however - 3 tonne HMG perhaps? (think 20mm V's .50 cal in todays weapons)

#45 HRR Mary

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:44 AM

voted no for two reasons :

- Current balance is out of whack, and fixing it will take time. Adding more weapons will destroy any hope of balancing the current game
- We have all the weapons that are revelant to the current timeline.

=>Now if they would fix the MG so it does 2 DPS, a whole range of mech would beging to be useful.

#46 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:38 AM

Many of the simply won't work due to being out of the timeline. Sorry, but that is just the way it is. You may as well be pining for Jihad era mechs, or the unseen.

#47 trollocaustic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

Heavy Lasers, Heavy PPCs, Heavy Gauss cannon Heavy bacon cooker Heavy everythings.

#48 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 06 May 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

Here's the real issue... PGI has yet to EXISTING WEAPONS in this game. How do you go about adding other weapons when certain weapons are simply USELESS?

Fix that first, before asking PGI to add more code that would be required. Adding anything outside what we already have (like a Long Tom) would require additional coding (HSR).

Eh, that's actually an argument FOR adding more stuff, than against.

The more stuff there is, the less glaringly obvious the existing balance issues are.

Or that's my take when you compare this game, to, say, EVE Online. I mean, are Mega Neutron Cannons really that much more OP than Ion or Electron Versions? What about in comparison to 425mm Railguns, or Tachyon Beams? There is so much stuff in that game that you don't really notice balance issues unless you are crunching the numbers.

#49 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostKraven Kor, on 16 May 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

Eh, that's actually an argument FOR adding more stuff, than against.

The more stuff there is, the less glaringly obvious the existing balance issues are.

Or that's my take when you compare this game, to, say, EVE Online. I mean, are Mega Neutron Cannons really that much more OP than Ion or Electron Versions? What about in comparison to 425mm Railguns, or Tachyon Beams? There is so much stuff in that game that you don't really notice balance issues unless you are crunching the numbers.

So make the game more confusing to hide the balance issues, rather than addressing them?

No thanks

Please don't bring any ideas from EVE

Edited by LordBraxton, 16 May 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#50 zraven7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

HATCHETS!!! BRING IN THE HATCHETS!!!!!

#51 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

I appreciate the dev's attempt to stick to a canon timeline. Mind you a few jumps here and there would be refreshing. That being said I would like to see the Arrow IV in the near future. It would counter sniping.

#52 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

View PostStalaggtIKE, on 16 May 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

I appreciate the dev's attempt to stick to a canon timeline. Mind you a few jumps here and there would be refreshing. That being said I would like to see the Arrow IV in the near future. It would counter sniping.

Well, there are a lot of things "in timeline" that we haven't seen yet.

#53 trollocaustic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Just noting this, but shouldn't we have Medium Range Missiles?

#54 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

View Posttrollocaustic, on 16 May 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

Just noting this, but shouldn't we have Medium Range Missiles?

Don't think so. They were introduced post-Clans IIRC.

#55 Pinselborste

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

If PGI would have used their own weapon stats made for a realtime game instead of ones used in a TT game, and worked on balance changes faster we wouldnt have the problems we have now.

it took a year till they realised that mg damage is too low, now they are trying to double it wich will still be too low, with speed like that we will have to wait 3 years till a single weapon is fixed.

#56 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

View PostPinselborste, on 17 May 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

If PGI would have used their own weapon stats made for a realtime game instead of ones used in a TT game, and worked on balance changes faster we wouldnt have the problems we have now.

it took a year till they realised that mg damage is too low, now they are trying to double it wich will still be too low, with speed like that we will have to wait 3 years till a single weapon is fixed.

Yes, because Paladins were balanced in WOW in less than a week, as I recall... :lol:

#57 trollocaustic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

They're still underpowered as bleep.
That's the problem when you have the head of balance play a frost mage.

Wait.

Does PGI's programmers play ballistic mechs?

Edited by trollocaustic, 17 May 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#58 Pinselborste

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

yeah, lets compare an MMO with hundreds of different spells and all the other stuff that needs to be balanced to weapons in MWO that have: heat, range, damage, heat and projectile speed as the only stats to change, wich can be done in about 10 seconds and than be tested and changed again till it works.

#59 tenderloving

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

In a world where PGI had displayed competence in balancing the weapons currently in the game up to this point, I would vote "Yes."

Unfortunately that is not the world we live in, so I voted "No."

#60 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostMongoose Trueborn, on 06 May 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

We need one if not several new weapon systems for this game. It would do several things including but not limited to the following.

1) Curb complaints about existing weapons because everyone would be trying out the new weapon. This would give the dev team time to deploy changes needed to existing weapon systems.
2) Revitalize every mech variant. Having new weapons means new weapon combos and this would be tons of fun for those that love to spend hours in the mechlab.
3) Change the meta game. The meta has been determined by the new mechs out and what those mechs are most ideal with. By releasing some new weapons people would be trying different variants again to see what is the best fit.

I know PGI is trying to maintain a high and mighty approach to a specific timeline. While that is a really cool and honorable concept, the fact is that most people could care less and would simply rather have the ability to use different weapon systems. The people that actually care about the timeline are the ones that dominate the forums and are going to play regardless of what you do. We need to draw in those that aren't die hard BT fans and make the game fun for them to play.

I would love to see x pulse, med range missiles, heavy and light gauss. What weapon system would you love to see next?

I'd love to see the Clans with all their weapons, and fight them with the appropriate ones. Then AFTER, I might be interested in more weapons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users