61 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

Tell us what you think of the new Stalker Hero Mech!

Spoiler

#2 Blood78

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Wait for it...people about to start complaining how OP Misery is in 5...4...3...2...

Edit: On more serious note, interesting hard slots. Trading missile slots for ballistic. Accel and turn are nice boost. I'm going to say that people are going to run this with 4 PPC and Gauss as sniper. Faster accel and faster turn means you can shoot and then move out quicker if spotted by enemy and being counter fired upon. Plus Gauss means you can keep firing while your heat is cooling down.

Edited by Blood78, 07 May 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#3 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

I'm not going to complain about how OP the Misery is because it really isn't. Any build running 4 PPCs and a Gauss will suffer the same weaknesses as a 6 PPC Stalker (You could say they will run less hot but they will have to forgo heat sinks in favor of Gauss ammo).

My complaint is that Misery receives a ballistic hardpoint making it "unique" among the Stalkers whereas the Pretty Baby was an worse alternative to the AWS-8V and not really "unqiue" like the Flame, Ilya, Deaths Knell, X-5 and now Misery.

#4 Fragmaster

Rookie

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

A Stalker with only one missile hard point but therefor a ballistic has nothing to with the original concept of this mech being a missile platform. It will only degenerate even this design into a ppc/sniper mech like the many mores already ruining the gameplay.
In my opinion this has nothing to do with the Battletech game a played for so many years. It´s just another milestone towards an arcade style game but far from making this Mech Warrior game a "unique" one.

#5 BulletChief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 292 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

PGI is trolling us with the Misery...
PPCs are unbalanced at the moment and what do they do?

turning a missile platform into a sniper... gg PGi -.-

so many 5 LL/Gauss, 4ppc/gauss builds running around. just annoying.

but the most pathetic thing about the misery is the energy hardpoint in the center, making it completely unbalanced compared to the other Stalkers. there will always be a LL left...

PGI: fix the PPC or fix boats in general! that should be priority #1 at the moment since the game is going downhill fast with the current balance...

#6 Saarna

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

This patch finally did it in for me. LRM's were OP for two days and PGI hotfixed them straight down to oblivion. Whole gameplay has been only high alpha this, higher alpha that for weeks on end, and not only does PGI simply sit on their arses, they see fit to release yet another extreme alpha machine.

GG, WP, I'm off.

Edited by Saarna, 07 May 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#7 Ens

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostSaarna, on 07 May 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

LRM's were OP for two days and PGI hotfixed them straight down to oblivion. Whole gameplay has been only high alpha this, higher alpha that for weeks on end, and not only does PGI simply sit on their arses, they see fit to release yet another extreme alpha machine.

GG, WP, I'm off.

sad, but true

i wouldn´t mind as much if it wasn´t for (now) useless 20 days of premium left :|
aw well... just another 4 patches til´we might actually have proper gameplay again

#8 Spokig

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 100 posts
  • LocationOn the top, As always.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

What are you complaining about Saarna? they have a Gauss in their LT!? just shoot them there and they loose all their firepower.

#9 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostSpokig, on 07 May 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

What are you complaining about Saarna? they have a Gauss in their LT!? just shoot them there and they loose all their firepower.

Perhaps you missed the additional 4 PPC part

4X10+15 is an alpha of 55........... You manage to kill that gauss? it still leaves quad PPC wich rip you apart in seconds
Thats the whole problem of MWO at the moment. Alpha boats dominate everything. Quad PPC, hex PPC, Dual AC/20.... Its these lame builds that simply Ruin this game

#10 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

Imho it's not pay 2 win.. simply because to effectively use the ballistic slot.. well you can't and you'll stick to 5LLs and 4PPCs like any other stalker can.

It's a limited brawler in my books, its torso twist is very tight and the Gauss isn't an option in there.

#11 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Little tuning with STD300+DHS+endo-steel and weaponary to Gauss, 2*ER PPC and 3*ML+AMS = works.
3 kills in first match :)
Next I'm gonna try AC20+2*ER PPC+3*ML or AC20+3*LL

Edited by VXJaeger, 07 May 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#12 Tragos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

Perhaps you missed the additional 4 PPC part

4X10+15 is an alpha of 55........... You manage to kill that gauss? it still leaves quad PPC wich rip you apart in seconds

Thats the whole problem of MWO at the moment. Alpha boats dominate everything. Quad PPC, hex PPC, Dual AC/20.... Its these lame builds that simply Ruin this game

Sorry, that is just ********. If you kill that gauss you have a left torso that just took 20 dmg from the Gauss-Explosion alone, while having 36 internal structure. Since there needs to be SOME damage (not sure if 1 or 3) done to the Gauss until it explodes that means that the torso has - at max - 15structure left. That is 1 Gauss or 2 PPCs. After that hit he loses 2 of his 4 PPCs as well and has just 2 PPCs (or 2mlas and 1 PPC etc...) remaining. How frightening. Besides if he is one of those [redacted] who use a XL - he will simply die after that hit.

So far: More or less like a RS. Less Armor, less weight, less missiles, 1 more energy slot and arms higher up. Looks pretty balanced to me. You could have the 4 PPC 1 Gauss Sniper before. Move along.

Edited by Tragos, 07 May 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#13 ShadowSpirit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • 341 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

... it's a money grab. They know PPC/Gauss snipers are king right now.

PGI/IGP MWO Imbalance Flow Chart

1) Exploit it.
2) Sell it.
3) Profit from it.

... this design is completely contrary from what the Stalker is all about. The Stalker is a missile/laser boat. Fix missiles and lasers PGI!

Edited by ShadowSpirit, 07 May 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#14 Tragos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

So a design that has 5 energy slots is... no longer a laser boat? Besides, some heroes differ. (X5 anyone? TDK?) Another 4+x missile / 4+x laser Stalker would have been absolutely useless and 2 balistic...well, THAT would have been a gamechanger. Therefore the Misery turned out as expected. (And you couldn't fit 5 energy 1 ballistic and more than 1 missile hardpoint in it without turning it into a REALLY strong brawler. 5 Mlas 3 SRM6 and AC20 would have been...interesting, especially watching the rivers of tears in the forum.

Edited by Tragos, 07 May 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#15 Aries McBeard

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

Wow, finally had the present of mind to put in a post on this forum on a mech that livened it up for me.... but it's OP, non canon... and a money-grab 2 boot... Like it already, hehe.

So I'm alone on the verdict of having a fun XL stalker on the field, one that can go zap/dakka once in a while?

Haven't been able to put many matches into this mech, but it's a nice addition to my hangar (and the ability to change hero-mech colours is allright too ;p)

Just my 2 cents

*edit this being an XL mech is by my own persuasion... dunno whoever wanted a mech to last long

Edited by Aries McBeard, 07 May 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#16 ShadowSpirit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • 341 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostTragos, on 07 May 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

So a design that has 5 energy slots is... no longer a laser boat? Besides, some heroes differ. (X5 anyone? TDK?) Another 4+x missile / 4+x laser Stalker would have been absolutely useless and 2 balistic...well, THAT would have been a gamechanger. Therefore the Misery turned out as expected. (And you couldn't fit 5 energy 1 ballistic and more than 1 missile hardpoint in it without turning it into a REALLY strong brawler. 5 Mlas 3 SRM6 and AC20 would have been...interesting, especially watching the rivers of tears in the forum.

You compared this mech to the Atlas RS? This mech is superior to the RS. I would take the Pepsi challenge in this mech any day of the week. The only mech that can compete with this is the Highlander.

The high (upper arm) mounted lasers is what makes it awesome. Most RS pilots have to bring the entire mech over a hill to shoot ... the stalker just has to "peek". The shoot from the hip crap is another problem that hasn't been fixed with many mech chassis.

Your defense of this mech is fine. What I am saying is that this mech is a fairly obvious attempt to exploit the current state of the game for profit. Can that be proven? Nope but the way things have been going they just released a pay to play mech with weapons that are obviously superior to everything else in the game.

Edited by ShadowSpirit, 07 May 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#17 Tragos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

The high mounted lasers are nothing new. If you want to bring the gauss to bear you still need to move "completely" into view. Therefore not better than the RS (or at least not in any way that a normal STK isn't as well)

#18 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

I'm not too concerned about the hardpoints, as a weapon is a weapon.

However, a 10% speed and turning buff, with no negative quirk whatsoever? Did I miss something or were Mech quirks not supposed to balance advantages with disadvantages?

In all the time I've been playing MWO since its Closed Beta I never thought I'd say this, and I've actively argued against people on the forums who did so in the past. But this is where I'm getting concerned about things becoming "pay to win", something we've been assured this game would never be.

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 07 May 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#19 ShadowSpirit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • 341 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

Removed my own post. Not going to argue.

Edited by ShadowSpirit, 07 May 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#20 Tragos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

You got that a bit wrong. The 3F for example can turn it's torso a lot farther to sides. With the HGNs it was the same: One has faster turning speed, another one more twist speed and so on. So this STK has more acceleration and turning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users