1095 replies to this topic

#121 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

I'll just say that I very much dislike the "smoothing-out" and the colors of the interface. Right now it looks basic, utilitarian, militaristic. Compared to this, the upcoming 2.0 looks like some sort of casual online shop. Why the design change? Why all the fancy colors? Why that silly curve? That's not utilitarian anymore.

The current look (referring solely to the visual style, not the organization or amount of information displayed) appears much more "mechwarrior'ish", and I would hate to see it go. ;)

Please don't turn the military-style UI into some sort of Windows 7. When I want fancy colors, I'd play a Facebook game. Or Mechwarrior Tactics.

#122 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

First I will say.. Each to his own.. Initial reaction to me is. Its bulky, cluttered and complicated looking. Don't see how this is going to make it easier for new players. Overall it looks Garish.. Again I will say, Each to his own.

#123 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 08 May 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

When I want fancy colors, I'd play a Facebook game.

Given the crowd theyre aiming at seems to BE Facebook gamers this makes sense

#124 VanillaG

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationIn my parent's basement

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

For the Mechlab, it looks like you have a the different categories (i.e. Champion, Light, etc.) predefined. It would cool if you took the GMail approach and went with a label concept that includes user defined labels. With a label approach mechs could have multiple labels (i.e Champion and Light) as well as whatever ones that users come up (i.e Brawler, Sniper, etc.). That way users could categorize their mech in whatever way they want to satisfy their CDO. For those that don't know, CDO is like OCD but the letters are in the correct order. ;)

Bonus points if you can automatically add/remove a label based on the saved loadout. That way if I have sniper loadout and a brawler loadout saved, when I switch between the two of them the label is changed.

#125 Jack Lowe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationStaten Island, NY

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

Looks as though it will certainly offer more information. Many things I like about it. The comparisons on weapons, The different filters, and the redesign of the mechbay layout. The location of certain tabs and information will take some getting used to as they have been changed. It did look as though it could be a bit overwhelming or complicated. That too could be simply because I'm accustomed to the current UI and how and where it displays information. The tutorials that are suppose to go with it will probably be key for new players I'm guessing. Spoon feed the information in a logical well thought progression, keep them fun and engaging but not a marathon of learning and it'll work I'm thinking. Perhaps two or three basic tutorials so they can get the bare basics then jump in if they choose. They can go back and pick up others that will be clearly titled perhaps with a small description tool tip style for when they come back scratching their heads with questions. Overall looks very nice, appears to be a step forward. It will require some time to actually tinker with the new UI or at least see it in action before I can give a more concrete OP.

#126 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

Ditto on showing as much info about 'mechs as possible before you buy them. I would even throw in a button to display the cockpit view with the standard layout.

#127 dyndragon

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

View PostEvilTwinTepe, on 08 May 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

I was JUST going to ask about this. I launch MWO from Steam (I launch all my games from there) - will the Shift+TAB step on my Steam UI? That's going to be problematic.

Just stopped in to say that it would be a really good idea NOT to hard code that key combination. Please allow it to be user configurable, or at the very least, don't make it Shift+Tab.

#128 Destoroyah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

you need too add the refined mech specs like twist angles, acceleration, engine limits and so on to the mechs info and in the purchase category so players have the fine details before they buy.

#129 Vulture2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

i like it, reminds me a bit of mech commander.. nice one..

#130 DCLXVI

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

roadhouse made this ui 2.0 for you guys! lol. that's actually the one thing I like from mwtactics is the mechlab ui, it IS sexy looking ^^

#131 jay35

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 08 May 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

I'll just say that I very much dislike the "smoothing-out" and the colors of the interface. Right now it looks basic, utilitarian, militaristic.
[...]
Please don't turn the military-style UI into some sort of Windows 7. When I want fancy colors, I'd play a Facebook game. Or Mechwarrior Tactics.

That's exactly what this new design looks/feels like: MW:T.

#132 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

Looks great and all... but THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE from the current UI must be retained.

i.e. option for Windowed mode for the mechlab + seperate fullscreen/full window mode for the actual game.

I thought it was a dumb thing at first, but it's probably one of my favourite features of MWO now. Browsing the internet while waiting for buddies to ready up.

#133 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 08 May 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

Specifically to owned/not owned, this will be available. The rest I'll pass along.

Thanks!

#134 MightyMeatShield

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 166 posts
  • LocationWest Coast!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

I like what I see so far.

#135 InMidnightClad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 143 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA. USA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

First off, Hiding the social features behind a keyboard shortcut should be a crime. The Teamplay in this game is so powerful it had to be restricted out of public matchmaking. When we said Teamwork was OP and that you should nerf it, it was a joke, we didn't mean like this. Bonus Hate points for hiding it behind the same shortcut as the steam overlay, that's gonna rustle a lot more jimmies than I think you realize.

Second, now that you seem to be more open about sharing data with the user don't skimp on some of the more important differences. Fields of rotation for components, individual chassis quirks, turn radii, acceleration rates, missile harpoint barrel configurations.

I also couldn't agree more with the folks taking about how the new UI looks more like an online dating site and less like a tank garage. I need rust, metal, sparks. Not floating border-less text boxes over a mech standing in the gun room from the matrix. Which reminds me those boxes really need some type of separation to keep them all from bleeding together.

#136 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

Is anything being done to make Mechs more visible/easier to preview in camo spec?

#137 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Looks great!

Just one piece of feedback from me:

Would really like to see the slots updated under "EQUIPPED" where the main loadout customization takes place. Some better visual indicators and organization to separate the difference between: Immovable items (actuators), colour coded weapon types (energy, ballistic, missile), equipment (AMS, ECM, BAP, command console), Ammo, and heat sinks. That would be extremely welcomed!!
This is a pretty important part since customizing your mech is something that you do OFTEN. I hope that juicy new UI look works its way into this very important part...

I've made a thread about it some time ago. Please consider any ideas that you find helpful or agree with.

Posted Image

#138 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

Why is my mech obscured by a giant smurfy style mech sheet? I dont need that. the little paper doll that you can click on works great. And it does not cover up the mech you are working on. All I need to do is look at one location at a time. However if the full mech sheet is an option that will be fine too.

SOCIAL TAB!!!

There is no social tab. Please do not get rid of this. There is no good reason why you would leave it out.

Lastly stick with the launch button. It works, its MWO style.

edit.

The critical slots for endo steel and farro fibros armor should say endo steel and farro fibros armor. Dont call them some thing else. It will get confusing for new players, and it looks clunky when you have two names for the same thing.

2nd edit.

No sorry. I was taking another look at the screen shots and I just dont like this. It looks like you guys hired some one from Perfect World to make your interface. it has no Mechwarrior IE Battletech feel. It would be great for black light though.

As another poster has said. All I really want from UI 2.0 is the fallowing.

1) To sort my mechs by class, chassis, and hero.

2) a seperate listing for owned weapons/equipment and the store list.

3) Full screen

4) A better social menu with options for grouping, and a general lobby. (Keep the social tab!!)

Edited by Dirus Nigh, 08 May 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#139 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

Bryan Ekman, on 08 May 2013 - 04:06 PM said:

General Improvements
  • Supports standard game resolutions 1024x768 to 1920x1200.
[cough]1800x1440[/cough]

I can settle for pushing that into user.cfg, but will it break anything?

#140 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

Thanks for the little bit of insight into your ongoing projects ... I wish I didn't have to wait three more months to play with it, but every bit of communication with us helps.

The functionality -- ease of use, speed navigation, information available, etc. -- all look good ... but aesthetically, I'd rather it be more gritty and less glitzy ... more like Misery than Heavy Metal.

Also, windowed front end / full screen game and/or multi-monitor support that allows chatting in TS3, twitch, etc. or other general goofing off outside the front end is something that we all have gotten used to ... please don't take that away.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users