For All You Scouts And Anklebiters Out There

61 replies to this topic

#41 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 21 May 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

ERPPC-armed Spider (HOW??)

Like this. Adjust the armour-to-JJ ratio as you please, I run mine with 6 JJs and a ton of additional (FF) armour.

#42 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

You spider guys are crazy. LOVE you on my team, HATE you when you're on the other guy's. ;P

Also: why put 10 points of armor in your left arm? Why not just make it 1 and pump up your right to 19?

Edited by Dawnstealer, 21 May 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#43 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 21 May 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

You spider guys are crazy. LOVE you on my team, HATE you when you're on the other guy's. ;P

All light pilots are a bit crazy - no, scratch that; all *good* light pilots are a bit crazy :)

View PostDawnstealer, on 21 May 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

Also: why put 10 points of armor in your left arm? Why not just make it 1 and pump up your right to 19?

Same reason you don't strip the CN9's left arm of armour - because then you'll lose the arm that much faster and subsequent damage to that side will hit the side torso and its delicate XL engine.

As I said, I drop a couple of JJs and use FF armour, so I do have max on the arms and legs.

#44 Cubivorre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 21 May 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

ERPPC-armed Spider (HOW??)

Even better like this. :D
http://mwomercs.com/...-d-erppc-guide/

#45 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

You ******** stay away from my stalker....

#46 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

View Poststjobe, on 21 May 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

Like this. Adjust the armour-to-JJ ratio as you please, I run mine with 6 JJs and a ton of additional (FF) armour.

My build is similar, except that I have either 2 or 4 JJ and 197 points of FF armor. The biggest problem that I have with this build is that on a light you want to have max armor on the legs because if you get legged, game over, but also this build only has one weapon. Put maximum armor on that arm, otherwise you're just a capper until you die.

#47 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:17 AM

View Postmailin, on 23 May 2013 - 02:36 AM, said:

My build is similar, except that I have either 2 or 4 JJ and 197 points of FF armor. The biggest problem that I have with this build is that on a light you want to have max armor on the legs because if you get legged, game over, but also this build only has one weapon. Put maximum armor on that arm, otherwise you're just a capper until you die.

You should have read to the end of the thread before commenting :)

View Poststjobe, on 21 May 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

As I said, I drop a couple of JJs and use FF armour, so I do have max on the arms and legs.

As for just having the single weapon, that has never been an issue - in about 100 drops I've only gotten the arm shot off (and lived to talk about it) once.

Edited by stjobe, 23 May 2013 - 04:18 AM.

#48 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

View Poststjobe, on 23 May 2013 - 04:17 AM, said:

You should have read to the end of the thread before commenting :)

As for just having the single weapon, that has never been an issue - in about 100 drops I've only gotten the arm shot off (and lived to talk about it) once.

st jobe, I did read the entire thread. The mech that is linked in smurfy only has half armor on the right arm and 12 out of 28 on the legs. That's what I was commenting on. I'm not necessarily saying that having only one weapon is bad (I have a Spider 5D with an ER PPC), but I have on occasion had the arm shot off and not died. I think once, I capped because my team was losing and the other time I went back to the brawlers to give ECM support. The first we lost, but the second we won.

#49 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

To ***-ALT pilot who thinks he's got it going on. Why does my medium cut you down with my inferior weapons and why do lights constantly take you out even though you are the almighty?

#50 Ursus_Spiritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 292 posts
  • LocationDecrypting your Authentication codes.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Dear Heavy/Assault pilot(s) that are griping and under appreciating we Light/Medium (I pilot a Cicada) pilots because we are working in a number of roles such as -

Scout - Finding the enemy so you can slug it out at 100m in their face.
ECM/Jamming - Enabling you to lock on at distance with LRM/Direct fire/protecting your slow a$$ from LRM/Direct fire.
Anti Light/Med - Keeping their lights/mediums from coring you from behind.
Capping bases - Saving your expensive "toy" from taking too much damage before the end of the round.
(thank us when/if they re-add repair cost)
Lastly - Coring heavier mechs from the rear - WE ARE HELPING, even if we do 5dps, 1dps or 20dps. IT is a TEAM effort.

I can sit back and watch the fight from a distance and when that heavy/assualt that is pristine/crit in the rear, takes you down, then comes hunting for me because he has no other targets and they know we are still alive... or we can plink at their wide/softer rear armor and crit/distract and or even get a kill...

Just because we don't do 50dps to the CT with an alpha, doesn't mean we are useless.

P.S.... 4 Med Lsrs to a rear torso HURT.... I know this because I can core an assault in 3-4 alphas.. and NOT over heat... just saying..

Edited by 8100d 5p4tt3r, 23 May 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#51 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

View Post8100d 5p4tt3r, on 23 May 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

P.S.... 4 Med Lsrs to a rear torso HURT.... I know this because I can core an assault in 3-4 alphas.. and NOT over heat... just saying..

Uh oh you brought up heat efficency. You know thats a bad word for assault please protect me I shut down firing 5000 weapons at once and missed pilots.

#52 zraven7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Damage to the target back increases pressure on the target, making him fight as if he's dealing with a multiple angle attack, instead of dueling. Also, damaging different armor sections simultaneously makes his whole doll flash, and hides what is really taking serious damage.

Edited by zraven7, 23 May 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#53 LoveMaker

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNational City, CA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

I cast magic missile.

#54 Iron Savior

Dezgra

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

View Postsupernachos, on 20 May 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Senseless post ........ inflamitory remark ..... insulting statement ..... ect ect

The irony is astounding. A nonsense post that offers no insight other than "your post is bad"

View PostPropagandaWar, on 23 May 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

To ***-ALT pilot who thinks he's got it going on. Why does my medium cut you down with my inferior weapons and why do lights constantly take you out even though you are the almighty?

Nice straw man kiddo. I mean this is the most blatant one I've seen yet, you didn't even try.

I never said anything even close to that, at all. Did you read ANYTHING I said? I offered my insight because I want light pilots to properly assess the @sses they're fighting. Going for rear prestine CT is stupid when it's frontal armor is critical. This has been established.

I also said, myself, that if you can alpha a guy's back down in two shots, good for you, do it, I'm glad.

I NEVER said "stand in front for me, and soak up damage"

But half you chuckleheads love shoving words into people's mouths.

Also not that you care but I don't ever recall losing to a medium in an assault on a straight one on one, barring examples where I'm already half dead. It just doesn't happen. You're just not gonna be fast enough to stay behind me 80% of the time, because when you get out of my FoF, I just reverse and twist in the opposite direction. [Redacted]

Not only that but you're much larger, so you're just easier to hit.

I also can't recall losing to a light in an assault 1v1 that, again, wasn't from me already being half dead.

Now I've lost to plenty of lights when it was 2v1 or 3v1 or 4v1. But that didn't seem like what you were talking about. Your post basically sounds like "how come you're an assault but you lose to every single medium and light you come across" which honestly is just a complete [Redacted]; even a joystick user is gonna beat a medium 1v1 in an assault.

View Post8100d 5p4tt3r, on 23 May 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

Dear Heavy/Assault pilot(s) that are griping and under appreciating we Light/Medium (I pilot a Cicada) pilots because we are working in a number of roles such as -

Scout - Finding the enemy so you can slug it out at 100m in their face.
ECM/Jamming - Enabling you to lock on at distance with LRM/Direct fire/protecting your slow a$$ from LRM/Direct fire.
Anti Light/Med - Keeping their lights/mediums from coring you from behind.
Capping bases - Saving your expensive "toy" from taking too much damage before the end of the round.
(thank us when/if they re-add repair cost)
Lastly - Coring heavier mechs from the rear - WE ARE HELPING, even if we do 5dps, 1dps or 20dps. IT is a TEAM effort.

I can sit back and watch the fight from a distance and when that heavy/assualt that is pristine/crit in the rear, takes you down, then comes hunting for me because he has no other targets and they know we are still alive... or we can plink at their wide/softer rear armor and crit/distract and or even get a kill...

Just because we don't do 50dps to the CT with an alpha, doesn't mean we are useless.

[Redacted]

I merely said: if you aren't piercing rear armor before I make the kill, your damage didn't add to the fight. Mathematically, your DPS meant nothing in this scenario since it had no actual outcome on how quickly he died.

What added to the fight was the extra sound effects and rocking and flashing and **** that happens from taking hits. Any help you offered stemmed from you merely being there and lobbing shots, which would already be the case if you stood off to the side and aimed at frontal armor that was in the red. Only in that instance, it would've died faster, and you would've gotten some XP for a component being destroyed, probably.

Also, half of what you said lights are doing, they don't do most of the time. That's cute if you do it and you think every other light does, but it's not the case.

>Scout

Since all maps and spawning points are the same, this is pointless. You know where the other team started, you know where they're going. This is only useful for finding lights running away, or to help stop a base rush. Both of which can be accomplished by just splitting up.

>ECM/Jamming

Lights aren't the only mech's that do this. If I have a BAP I don't really need you running anti ECM, nor does anyone else.

>Anti Light/Med

This is a legitimate thing but I've never seen a team with no lights lose to a team with one or two simply because those two lights backstabbed evryone on the enemy team single handedly. I would love to be proven wrong on this. Generally I feel most heavies and assaults do not need help with mediums. They aren't fast enough to properly dodge, other than the cicida, which is too big to be a proper scout mech (easy to hit)

>Capping bases - Saving your expensive "toy" from taking too much damage before the end of the round.

I'm pretty miffed that my mech is a toy, while the obvious assumption is that a light/medium isn't. Again this is something anyone can do, and honestly? I hate when a good TDM is interrupted by a cap win. It's awful, lackluster, and boring. [Redacted]

>Lastly - Coring heavier mechs from the rear - WE ARE HELPING, even if we do 5dps, 1dps or 20dps. IT is a TEAM effort.

I donno, this part seems just so defensive. It really does. I am fully aware it's a team effort, my OP is actually my viewpoint to hopefully get better teamwork.

Going for the rear ALWAYS is not teamwork, it's being an automaton. Teamwork is properly judging the fight and deciding where you can do the most to help your team. Maybe it is stabbing a guy in the back, I bet that's probably the best thing to do as a light half the time.

But maybe front armor is in the red.

Maybe that friendly assault is getting it's *** kicked. Maybe the difference between it getting cored, and it just losing an RT, is you drawing fire. Or maybe you drawing fire is the difference between an assault with all of its weapons, and an assault with only half of its weapons now.

WHO KNOWS! But real teamwork is doing those little things when they come up. It's a *huge* difference. Team work =/= your assigned "role" with absolutely no thought to the dynamics of the battle.

If it's a cap fight, I'm not helping the team win by wandering around looking for a DM.

If it's turned into a slugging match, both teams going at it, you aren't helping the team win by sitting on a point and doing nothing as your team gets annihilated. If you go for the cap and you win when your team is losing, good for you I'm glad.

But just know that I'm going to be very, very unhappy if I see my ENTIRE TEAM DEAD, save for a single light capping a base. Just for him to get his leg carved off when the rear guy turns around.

View PostPropagandaWar, on 23 May 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

Uh oh you brought up heat efficency. You know thats a bad word for assault please protect me I shut down firing 5000 weapons at once and missed pilots.

[Redacted]

I don't know what you're talking about (because it's a load of nonsensical irrelevant BS) but in my experience heavies and assaults are much easier to keep cool because, well, gee. I donno.

probably cuz I can put on like 20 tons of heatsinks if I wanted to.

Keeping my stalker cool is a [Redacted] breeze man, I seriously have NO IDEA what you're on about here, it's like we've got two different games or something.

[Redacted]

Edited by Niko Snow, 31 May 2013 - 09:10 AM.
Belligerence / Ad Hominem / Adult References

#55 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

Really, keeping an assault or heavy cool isn't a challenge? My Raven 3L has a heat efficiency of 1.72. That's as equipped. That means that I can continually fire, even on Tourmaline with only occasionally needing to back off on the fire button before resuming the attack. A heavy or an assault can shut down and it's not really a big deal. For a light though, it's worse than being legged, which is why we try to avoid it whenever possible.

#56 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

I actually agree with the OP, he just came across way too harsh.

If the enemy's rear armor is untouched

and and assault is pounding his frontal armor

engage the enemy from the front

to get to those internals as quickly as possible

#57 Ursus_Spiritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 292 posts
  • LocationDecrypting your Authentication codes.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

Frankly OP you come across as self centered and arrogant.

That is a **** poor attitude for a team game. This isn't COD/BF2/3 or any other FPS. You can't solo with an MG/Sniper like you can in those games.

You can't one shot for the most part (I know it does happen on occasion.)

If I see you or any other heavy/assault engaged and an opening for the rear of the enemy mech I am going for it and I am not alone in the mindset.

Just because the armor is Crit doesn't mean it will affect internals.

Edited by 8100d 5p4tt3r, 01 June 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#58 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 18 May 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

To the heavy or assault slugging it out:

We appreciate that you deal a tremendous amount of damage and can absorb so much as well, however we also appreciate your target can mince us in a single concentrated salvo. W

Baloney.

I cannot count the number of times I've shot or seen someone else shoot an Alpha at a light only to notice that it does little to no damage

#59 Tommy Truck

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:57 AM

@OP

I think this would have gone better if you had simply said, "Light mech pilots please, if you notice that I have done extensive damage to another assault and they have untouched rear-armour or you aren't packing much heat, go ahead and join me in stripping their front down if possible. It is my experience that this is often more helpful than you might think. Also, I understand that you might shoot me in the back. If you can, keep it to a minimum and I promise I won't flame you for it. Thank you."

I think that's a perfectly valid request and doesn't put light and med mech pilots' backs up. Just my two cents.

#60 Maximilian

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 17 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Jenner Pilot at your service.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users