332 replies to this topic

#321 KableGuy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 229 posts
  • LocationThe left armpit of the United states

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

I don't know what everyone is QQing about they simply took out LRMS and replaced them with orbital artillery. True story bro.

#322 KableGuy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 229 posts
  • LocationThe left armpit of the United states

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

View Postlilslugger, on 22 May 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

This was already in place (kind of) before the patch, they just put a cap on the speed. At least they aren't doing it the way of MW2, wherein if your leg was destroyed, it fell off the chassis and you were left immobilized... unless you had JJ's, then you could move.. up and down.

i remember that, always thought to myself "shouldn't it be falling over?"

#323 Grimmnyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostNecroconvict, on 22 May 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Ridiculous builds? Like what? Seriously I don't see a problem with a Mechwarrior, who has earned the cash, to tweak a mech as they are able to do. Everyone specializes their machines, if they have the cash to do it, hence special mechs, that have made mech history. Like the Yen Lo Wang, or Heavy Metal.

What needs to be addressed is heat. Damage caused by heat, possible death caused by heat, engine damage, destroying weapons.... Something. The fix shouldn't be... Well if you fire 1 medium laser you get normal heat, if you fire 2 medium lasers you get normal heat for firing 2 weapons, but if you fire THREE, you get above and beyond average heat, 4... 5 ... 6? Now comes the prison bathroom scene... Screw the prison bathroom scene, Go to damage, there is no reason not to. If you vastly exceed your heat threshold start taking real penalties... Something that you are gonna feel, something that you should feel.. no I am not talking about the prison scene anymore... :(

Yeah, I get sick of all the people who post on here talking about "broken", or "outrageous" builds. The mech lab does not let you save a build that does not comply with the rules. There are just some builds that are more effective than others and if you decide not to use one of those builds, for whatever reason, then you are creating your own disadvantage. Just like all the people who want 3PV and respawns because they can't be bothered to learn how to play the game the way it is.

#324 Kamelkaze

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 423 posts
  • LocationIm Cockpit seines Urbies!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

Looks like there is a bug in MM. Before the patch MM was much more even than after the patch. No matter of PPC or LRM.

#325 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:52 AM

View PostKamelkaze, on 23 May 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

Looks like there is a bug in MM. Before the patch MM was much more even than after the patch. No matter of PPC or LRM.

Agreed, I have had a huge number of 6 and 7 vs. 8 matches since the patch. Not to mention matches where the tonnage difference was pretty large. Not sure what they're testing with MM this week, but I don't think it's working.

#326 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:16 AM

View PostJakob Knight, on 22 May 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Actually, if Battlemechs worked as they supposedly did in the original game, they would be very viable weapons .

I had to stop reading there.

The only thing that made them viable was dice rolling. Any form of aiming would render a battle mech useless in the first onset of an engagement. One TOW missile to the cockpit and the fight is over haha. The military working on them is no indicator of their viability in combat. Remember the military experimenting with teleportation and jet packs as well.

#327 Jakob Knight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

View PostMoomtazz, on 22 May 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

You need to brush up on the lore. The reason for a lack of computing power and that battles are short range affairs is because much of the tech was lost during the wars that led to the Succession Wars. Targeting systems are now inferior and many of the mechs are actually decades if not centuries old. Not the designs, the actual mechs themselves are passed down from generation to generation because not many new ones are being made. Certainly no real design advancements are made until the clans come back and show off their stuff.

You need to do some reading yourself. Look up the Helm Core. To summarize, about twenty years before the timeframe of MWO, the mercenary unit Grey Death Legion discovered a library computer core from the Star League in the Free Worlds League and distributed it's data to various technological institutions throughout the Inner Sphere. This resulted in the Inner Sphere recovering to the level of the Star League by the time of MWO, and even progressing beyond them in some areas. This is why we see ERPPCs, BAP, ECM, ect alongside Command Consoles and C3 systems (both of which were beyond the abilities of the Star League at the time of its fall).

Indeed, new mech models and full production of older mech models is commonplace by this time, further enforcing that the IS has recovered well past the days of the Third Succession War.

So, no. The Inner Sphere is -not- in the state you seem to think it is, and advanced computers are very much part of the MWO universe.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 23 May 2013 - 06:28 AM.

#328 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PostViper69, on 23 May 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

[/size]
I had to stop reading there.

The only thing that made them viable was dice rolling. Any form of aiming would render a battle mech useless in the first onset of an engagement. One TOW missile to the cockpit and the fight is over haha. The military working on them is no indicator of their viability in combat. Remember the military experimenting with teleportation and jet packs as well.

I'm afraid the laugh is on you when that battlemech dodges the TOW and fires a laser back at you, all in about one second. This is the level of battlemech capabilities in the original game, even if you didn't pick up on it, and what made Battlemechs so powerful. Slow weapons don't get used on the battlefield.

#329 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts
  • LocationYork, Pennsylvania

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

For the comments posted:
AMS > TOW
Heat really plays a factor in how well pilots perform so if they want to make this more realistic then your pilot should suffer from heat stroke for all the boat builds that are out there.
Yes, technology has been recovered, however it has not been advanced past Star League era tech-which by this time is considered "outdated." This is to say that should the IS have been able to progress like the clans did then they would be very similar in tech, but they're not. The IS had tech, bombed themselves to an era before they knew how to produce aforementioned tech, then recovered the data needed to get that tech back and are now producing it. They don't start advancing in new tech until, what, 3052?

Edited by Colddawg, 23 May 2013 - 06:35 AM.

#330 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

View PostColddawg, on 23 May 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

For the comments posted:
AMS > TOW
Heat really plays a factor in how well pilots perform so if they want to make this more realistic then your pilot should suffer from heat stroke for all the boat builds that are out there.
Yes, technology has been recovered, however it has not been advanced past Star League era tech-which by this time is considered "outdated." This is to say that should the IS have been able to progress like the clans did then they would be very similar in tech, but they're not. The IS had tech, bombed themselves to an era before they knew how to produce aforementioned tech, then recovered the data needed to get that tech back and are now producing it. They don't start advancing in new tech until, what, 3052?

Well, the C3 systems developed by the Draconis Combine (along with other items such as Triple Strength Myomer)are examples of things the Star League never developed. In the Medical fields, the Inner Sphere was progressing beyond the Star League in several disciplines, though there were other areas where they were lagging behind. It was a patchwork thing, but generally the Inner Sphere was on par or slightly ahead of the Star League.

3052 is when they started to pull away faster, and by 3055, their exposure to Clantech and the demands of the Invasion boosted research and development into overdrive.

Of course, this is all based on the orginal material. The universe of MWO is likely to be much more contorted, considering the tech we are seeing in the game at the present time (widespread availability of all advanced tech, equipment with abilities never even dreamed of in the TT, ect). I wouldn't be that surprised if, in the MWO universe, we were running around with UAC/20's and Heavy Pulse ERPPCs by 3052.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 23 May 2013 - 06:49 AM.

#331 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

View PostJakob Knight, on 23 May 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

I'm afraid the laugh is on you when that battlemech dodges the TOW and fires a laser back at you, all in about one second. This is the level of battlemech capabilities in the original game, even if you didn't pick up on it, and what made Battlemechs so powerful. Slow weapons don't get used on the battlefield.

Nothing in Battletech is even gauged remotely on reality so this whole argument is moot to be honest.

Honestly this discussions is as goofy as talking about who would win Mighty mouse or super man.

View PostColddawg, on 23 May 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

For the comments posted:
AMS > TOW

That there is true!

Edited some stuff out.

Edited by Viper69, 23 May 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#332 ATF MART

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

Incoming Missile Online

#333 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

So wait, an ECM mech that is close to you can still bork your BAP-bearing mech's ability to fire lrms at distant targets? Because that's the way it seems to me...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users