Seismic Is Lord

181 replies to this topic

#61 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

Wait and flank until they are engaged with other mechs.

#62 Eboli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

View Posttrollocaustic, on 21 May 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

And the problem is?
Light mechs still have the option of the following
A: Realise that 400m is nothing and go full steam ahead and get there.
B: I don't know, USE THE TERRAIN like the snipers they so loathe for being better than them
C: just ball-rush in, abuse the 200% armor to survive the few weapons that hit, and get to the rear end of a mech, where they can just pound it with no retaliation.
Light mechs still need nerfing hard.

I bet you are a Stalker player. I love coming across a Stalker in my Jenner. Their poor rotation speed and angle range is the death of them once a good light mech gets behind them.

Please don't deride a fragile mech just because you choose a big slow mech that cannot react to well when you let someone get at your rear. You have been outplayed. An assault mech should not be a "I win" mech.

Cheers and I hope to see you on the field one day. :P
Eboli

#63 TOGSolid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 21 May 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

The sad thing is... at certain times, I could literally detect the ENTIRE enemy team with this module. It's like a free wallhack and I can easily plan/snipe/brawl effectively just knowing where the enemy is. It is mech size indiscriminant.

It works in various ways:

1) Brawlers - know when and where to move to the closest/easiest target of opportunity.

2) Snipers/Missile boats - know when and where to move away from incoming targets and/or asking for help.

3) Lights/fast mechs - easily able to track and chase all other lights/fast mechs.

The range is incredible... so the frequency and range are actual problems with the module. It brings an entire new meaning to Information Warfare.

The worst part.. there is no counter.

I don't think it necessarily needs a hard counter, it just needs to have its functionality reduced. Like I said earlier, a good fix would be to make it either stop working if you're moving too fast, or not detect enemies going under a specific throttle percentage (they're essentially walking to avoid detection). Right now, though it's just ludicrous.

View Posttrollocaustic, on 21 May 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

I'd rather back up to a wall, if possible, and raking large laser across their legs, while effective, requries you to be face-to-face. It's a rare situation that requires you to outhink the light (More effort to equalize)

No, Speed makes hitting them harder, add in vibrations from taking damage from non-laser sources, lock on missiles taking a long time to lock-on and doing them better by about 10% is ok, but they're still incredibly better at traditonal combat due to speed than you seem to realize.

As a 4-large stalker, I know plenty about legging lights, but with their small fast moving hitboxes, very little damge is dealt, often far less in comparison to their leg armor than how much their 4 MLs do to your CT.

A.) The Stalker has a notoriously awful torso twist. The biggest drawback to your chosen chariot is that it can't torso twist worth a **** making it vulnerable to fast movers.
B.) Please tell me you have something more than 4 Large Lasers on there otherwise you're doing something horribly wrong.

Edited by TOGSolid, 21 May 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#64 trollocaustic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

The Stalker has a notoriously awful torso twist. The biggest drawback to your chosen chariot is that it can't torso twist worth a **** making it vulnerable to fast movers.

Stalker Fb, aka the one with acceptable twist.

Please tell me you have something more than 4 Large Lasers on there otherwise you're doing something horribly wrong.
actually, 2 LL 2 ERLL 2 ML 2SSRM 20 DHS (10 in engine 10 out), planning on a 275 engine soon.

#65 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostYueFei, on 21 May 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

If the other team is using it also, they will see your flanking maneuver developing before it actually hits them, and can redeploy to meet it.

Unless you can walk your way in without rippling the sensor. I am totally OK with even the bigger mechs being able to evade detection from this thing by creeping in slowly.

That's still an improvement in dictating range compared to going around a corner and running smack into 3 guys.

#66 Eleshod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 187 posts
  • LocationVegas baby!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

The number one trick to being a heavy and trashing a light. Put your back to the wall, make them fight inside your firing arc. Or they can play nut-hug and take damage for bumping into you. =D

It works surprisingly well once you start practicing the tactic.

Add seismic and you can see which direction they are running if they get behind said wall. =D

#67 Suprentus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

I love the seismic sensor because it actually makes the radar behave like a radar (imagine that). All this blind fighting should not have existed to begin with. It makes the gameplay more dynamic. IMHO, seismic sensor should be built into every chassis. Since it never will be though, I'm satisfied enough this way.

Some of the comments on this thread are just confusing though. Like how exactly does it nerf lights? It helps them more than hurts them. The light has far more ability to pick its battles than heavy and assault Mechs. If you sense some enemies over a ridge, then you know exactly where to run to avoid them. What are they going to do, chase you around the map? If so, then doesn't that play exactly to your advantage?

Need to harass a few Mechs from behind? You should be fast enough to get in from behind before they can really unload on you. If they are that fast, then isn't that where your maneuvering skill should kick in? If they turn to engage you to begin with, and you give them the slip, then it's your battle, and they have to play by your rules. They either have their backs turned to your friendlies, or you distracted a few Mechs from following with the rest of the group.

An earlier game I was in was a win because I split up their team this way while my team pounded their now fractured forces. In fact, the seismic sensor told me when they tried to hunt me down and I slipped away before they could even get a shot off. This, my friends, is how you play a light.

Really, the only way this hurts lights is if you approach the entire enemy force, and they're able to send in their lights to swiftly dispatch you. That's just the risk and the thrill of piloting a light.

Edited by Suprentus, 21 May 2013 - 11:15 PM.

#68 Huntsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

seismic is the first module in the game that actually gets me excited, and one of a narrow few that impart a decisive edge.

Anyone try the new artillery strike yet? Any more worth using?

#69 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

View PostSoy, on 21 May 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

That's still an improvement in dictating range compared to going around a corner and running smack into 3 guys.

It cuts both ways, though. Before, you might turn a corner on a bunch of prepared enemies. But you might also have turned the corner and caught a bunch of them unaware.

The Seismic Sensor removes the element of surprise in both directions.

Although, now that I think about it, even with the Seismic Sensor, you might still end up running smack into 3 guys if those 3 guys are standing still waiting for you. =P

#70 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:46 PM

Yep. The penultimate meta. 10 cheese jagers standing still near base around a corner. PRO STYLE

#71 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

Look, Ima end it real quick.

Make Seismic extend out to 400m the closer you are to standing still. Going as fast as possible, you should only go out to like, 150m.

#72 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:27 AM

Had 66k gxp, every module seemed... meh. Had been waiting until something so amazing came out that it would change the game- decided I didn't want to be the only guy without it when it first came out. It has been worth the weight. I have saved my team from getting flanked in every game so far, the difference between winning and losing.

#73 Farpenoodle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:29 AM

I'm kinda amazed more people aren't bitching about Seismic. But yeah it is a bit too strong now. The situational awareness it affords you is beyond amazing. If it didn't extend out to 400m it'd probably be okay. But some of the other proposed nerfs here sound pretty decent.

#74 trollocaustic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:35 AM

I disagree, I'd say 400m is still short enough that a light can charge snipers before they can turn themselves.

#75 Suprentus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:38 AM

View PostFarpenoodle, on 22 May 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

I'm kinda amazed more people aren't bitching about Seismic. But yeah it is a bit too strong now. The situational awareness it affords you is beyond amazing. If it didn't extend out to 400m it'd probably be okay. But some of the other proposed nerfs here sound pretty decent.

The only reason it seems so strong and the situational awareness seems beyond amazing is because our radars have been artificially handicapped for so long, and this is the first time our radars actually behave like radars. This is really how it should have been like all along.

#76 Farpenoodle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:38 AM

It's not really about snipers being able to sense you though. In fact I think this benefits brawlers way more than it does snipers. It's far more easy to detect places where the enemy line is thinner and concentrate there.

#77 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:59 AM

Its quite epic, upgraded mine already, in frozen city I seen an almost cored jenner who was escaping the kappa/sigma brawls to go cap theta, I began pursuit in my 5D spider, the 400m seismic sensor allowed me perfectly track his movements between the buildings once I lost lock. It was quite easy to follow his movements as blips on my radar.

This module should be quite useful for the tunnels and buildings around certain maps.

#78 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:00 AM

awesome module. awesome :P

#79 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:08 AM

View PostFarpenoodle, on 22 May 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

It's because nobody knows when an enemy has it, so you can't cry foul. Did the guy get lucky when he foiled your flanking attempt, or is just good? Or maybe he had seismic? Who knows?

There's also the fact that as a community we can only output so much rage at a time, and being able to core an awesome in two volleys of LRMs has people fairly occupied at the moment.

#80 Farpenoodle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:22 AM

View Postaniviron, on 22 May 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

It's because nobody knows when an enemy has it, so you can't cry foul. Did the guy get lucky when he foiled your flanking attempt, or is just good? Or maybe he had seismic? Who knows?

There's also the fact that as a community we can only output so much rage at a time, and being able to core an awesome in two volleys of LRMs has people fairly occupied at the moment.

Makes sense. Just hope it doesn't drown out the seismic module problems. I like the module I just don't think it should be negating the need for LOS scouting this much.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users