#262 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostShumabot, on 21 May 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

Continued confirmation of no gameplay testing of these patches. It's not about not testing it enough, this is the first test case you should have seen. Scrimming in a test environment under these conditions would have made it absolutely visible to even people who weren't looking for specific behaviors. It's pretty obvious that if testing occurred at all it was in an environment thoroughly dissimilar to the one in the live game.

Why does this keep happening?

I really do hate to say this, but it does say Beta, even if its released

In the old days open beta was for stress testing and tweaks before a game went on release

seems game designers think that because they put the word beta in the title and then charge you money its ok..to provide really shoddy work..

Seems balancing is a mystery, and this is just IS mechs, when clans get here I do think its time to pull the plug, as targeting and heat are going to be better for clans, and they struggle with semi guided rockets..

#263 SteelTantrum

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

View PostJDH4mm3r, on 21 May 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

missiles are OP once again....

I can't believe how OP LRM's are, I don't think I will be playing until they are sorted, it is absolutely appalling !!!

#264 vkornov

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostLaserAngel, on 22 May 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

Meanwhile with the invisible Twitter audience...

https://twitter.com/...226892828606466

It was a nice change of pace for a few days. It wasn't nearly as bad as the previous LURMpocalypse but it did kill the poptarters.

Bryan: "it's not a bug. It's a tuning adjustment on the angle of attack and splash damage. AKA game balance."

See guys, that makes all the difference. It's not a bug. Really.

Edited by vkornov, 22 May 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#265 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

The tears of the poptarts and ridge humpers continue to flow freely. It's like a fine wine. I must be OP because I can dodge LRMs in my Awesomes. Please, cry more about how your highlander can't get away(while poptarting), or about how your stalker gets railed(for humping a ridge) now. I'm loving it. Poptarter Elo must be falling faster than an overheated jumpsniper.

Edited by Dude42, 22 May 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#266 wonator

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

****** hint: AMS and cover.

Too hard, i know, keep whining.

#267 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

View Postwonator, on 22 May 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

****** hint: AMS and cover.

Too hard, i know, keep whining.

The second one of those options doesn't work very well against the new flight paths.

#268 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

View Postvkornov, on 22 May 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

Bryan: "it's not a bug. It's a tuning adjustment on the angle of attack and splash damage. AKA game balance."

See guys, that makes all the difference. It's not a bug. Really.
They should have delayed the patch if they missed getting the final implementation in just a day late to include it in the patch build.

#269 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

View PostLaserAngel, on 22 May 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

They should have delayed the patch if they missed getting the final implementation in just a day late to include it in the patch build.

But then we'd have missed all those sweet sweet poptart and ridge humper tears.

#270 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostDude42, on 22 May 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

But then we'd have missed all those sweet sweet poptart and ridge humper tears.

Except that this hurts everyone, not just poptarts and hillhumpers.

#271 Osski

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSouth Lousiana, USA, baby!

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

View Postaniviron, on 21 May 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

Needs more than just a trajectory change.

Quite a telling demonstration, thank you.

#272 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

Good to see you guys working on the missile stuff. Was somewhat confused upon reading the recent patch notes. Not all that interested in jumping in my LRM-centric Mechs at the moment, will wait until all the kinks are worked out.

Keep up the good work, I'm sure you guys will get there.

#273 Flashback37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

I drive Yen-lo so I'm no poptart and I've gotten fairly good with him until now.
I know how to use cover but there IS NO COVER anymore. LOS is not a problem with the new target decay set-up, missiles hit before lock is lost. A little buff was needed, you injected steroids!
Change the arc and fix the splash/ct problem please!

Oh and as to AMS: Puhleeease!, you're not going to stop 60 incoming missiles aimed at your ct with ams.

#274 Inkarnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostFupDup, on 22 May 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

The second one of those options doesn't work very well against the new flight paths.
sure it fuckinbg helps since the enemy has no lock ..... equals not hitting lrms@guy above sure you can **** off 60 lrms it just stakes 4 ams meaning you need to be close to your mates or playing double ams mechsand even with target decay missiles can miss alot it is just effective if oyur yoursel are too much in the open already and then decide to hump back into cover

Edited by Inkarnus, 22 May 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#275 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

View PostFupDup, on 22 May 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

Except that this hurts everyone, not just poptarts and hillhumpers.

It doesn't hurt me. TBH I've been killed by LRMs 2-3 out of about 30 games since the patch. Doesn't mean I haven't had a lot shot at me, but 99% missed. So I stand by my statement. And I run assault mechs(Awesomes), so its not like you have to be in a light to dodge them. Just use your head. Break the lock and keep moving, that's all. Power down if you need to. All in all I'm happy about the changes and will enjoy them thoroughly until they nerf LRMs back into complete uselessness. Which I can tell by a lot of the posts here that that's what the tarts and humpers want.

Edit: I'm willing to bet if we could filter out the posts of everyone who owns a ridge humper, or poptart, this thread would look wildly different.

Edited by Dude42, 22 May 2013 - 12:03 PM.

#276 Nebelfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

View PostPrezimonto, on 22 May 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

I've been having more fun since this patch that I have in months. The game play feels dynamic again, instead of stale, long range, ridge humping/poptarting.

Despite the crying, missiles aren't terribly over powered. Too many people have been playing with play-styles(ridge humping) that don't account for serious LRM use. Closed beta players should remember when LRMs were even more powerful.

I agree, there's a little too much CT spread (acknowledged problem and being fixed with lowered splash), and perhaps slightly too steep a curve with spotters (but then again, spotters should be good and very useful given that you're giving up a damaging mech for pure support so I'm really not against this either). All in all good job PGI, keep the balancing up.

Thing is that the CT dmg is not caused by splash dmg but by the the missles comming from steep above the target - while it was possible to torsotwist against them with the former trajectory it is not with the current anymore. The changes to misslespread might also be partly responsible. Splashdamage is definitely NOT the main problem here. If something hits the head from above instead of coming more from the side while aiming roughly at the center of your mech that means automatically more CT dmg. from all angles. And since cover does not really work anymore a damaged CT while haviing missles incomming is basically a deathsentence you can not counter actively. How the removal of splashdamage is supossed to change this is beyond me.

Missles were working absolutely fine befor this patch if you knew how to use them. Right now they are boring to fire and boring to recieve. The dmg they do, though being higher in numbers, feels actually worse the before since they spread across more components due again to their current trajectory.

So summed up :
Target lock is archived and maintaned easier than before(more people with BAP + changed artemis/narc/tag);
Active evading is nearly imposble and more a matter of luck (steep trajectory that iis out of normal eyesight and allows to penetrate almost all cover options;
No torso twisting possible to protect your center torso;
Stacked AMS is the most reliable form of autodefense while ECM is neglectable due to having 5 counter methods now(the latest 2 being nobrainers aswell)
You do not have to work for a good target nor can you effectively work on not being one anymore.

Yeah right sounds tottalky fun, does it not?

Sure a fix to splashdamage and spotting related trajectory will fix everything...or maybe a new camo pattern will work?

Edited by Nebelfeuer, 22 May 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#277 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostNebelfeuer, on 22 May 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Missles were working absolutely fine befor this patch if you knew how to use them. Right now they are boring to fire and boring to recieve.

You just invalidated your entire statement.

#278 Phaesphoros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Wow no I haven't read the previous 14 pages - please refrain from advising me to do saying there's so much important and interesting information in there. I bet there is. But I'm not eager to read the rest to find out where.

IMO the adjustment of the flight arc when having a spotter is a good thing. But please do not differentiate between direct LOS and indirect LOS, as target decay -- and with it lots of other bonuses -- would affect this in a way I bet nobody wants. Please rather make the angle steep (= "dive now"-point closer to the target) iff a team member has direct LOS (and targeted) the target or the target is NARCed.

Removing target decay altogether would even be better IMO. All sorts of: the normal target decay where you lose your lock only short after losing LOS; the module; the TAG effects etc. This way, spotters and NARC could get a viable and important role.

Edited by Phaesphoros, 22 May 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#279 Vila deVere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostGerwig, on 21 May 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

This is beta right? (agreed the missiles are ridiculous) but aren't we supposed to be the test subjects?

Only to a certain extent. We're spending real money know. There ought to be a level of QA performed before it gets to us, the paying customers. I'm FINE with an incomplete game in open beta. A broken one? Not so much.

#280 Pyrrho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 854 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

Those chalkboards are misleading. You keep drawing arcs as the flight path, but my observations of missiles in game is that their trajectory looks more like the top of a trapezoid. They go up sharply, they level off, they dive sharply.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users