Missile Update - Feedback

507 replies to this topic

#441 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:39 AM

Why do missiles still need splash damage, if the missiles are spreading across the target'***** boxes already? IT seems splash just introduces more problems, like the splash all stacking up to deal the most damage to the CT in the end.

If the LRMs and SRMs are too weak without the extra damage for splash, just add that extra damage to the LRM and SRM missiles instead.

#442 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:49 AM

Yes, I really don't understand splash damage. Also, how does it work? If a missile is supposed to deliver, say, 1 damage, is the splash actually some other damage to adjacent sections? If that is the case, no matter how little the additional damage is, a LRM20 is esponentially more lethal has every missile out of the 20 carries that little "additional" to other sections. Is this how it works? Why in hell is there a splash damage to begin with?

#443 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

View PostCathy, on 24 May 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

Can I add there are no 6xPPC boats, and there is no pin point acurracy for ..any...weapon in Battletech there are no poptart sniper battles, there is punching, kicking, D.F.A. ...yes I just did

Been saying that this is what kills this game for ages, no one cares really. Manual convergence for weapons would have fixed all gausscats, 6 PPC boats, 6 LL and other laserboats, jumping PPC snipers, SRM cats etc.

As for 6 PPC boats ... I'm pretty sure there are mechs in BT with 4-5 PPCs and mechs that can in theory mount 6 PPCs. Boating IS present in BT. Clan omni-mechs you can do whatever you want, 4 gauss rifles or 4 LBX-20s on an annihilator are more scary if you ask me.

Constant jumping should be punished IMO, right now you can jump from a 45 degrees slope and land safely. In BT you have a chance to break your legs if you jump into tough terrain. Overall land-mech interaction in this game is poor, the fact that you can walk right up the big mountain on Alpine is just dumb.

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 25 May 2013 - 01:39 AM, said:

Why do missiles still need splash damage, if the missiles are spreading across the target'***** boxes already?

Thats the problem, they do not spread. Thats why you only get CT damage now. If you ask me its just *redacted* that ALL missiles hit your mech, let alone your CT. As I said, in BT you are lucky to get 30% of them hit at all. 40% tops with tag, narc, artemis etc.

#444 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:27 AM

LRM have an accuracy of around 25% which means that 5 LRM of a LRM 20 salvo hit you.
Splash damage radius is reduced to 0.05m amd does negligible damage.

There was never a LRMageddon and LRM usage was already declining and now, post Hotfix, the Alpha-Assault-Meta is back.

Really great work (not)!

Edited by Thorqemada, 25 May 2013 - 02:28 AM.

#445 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:05 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 25 May 2013 - 02:27 AM, said:

There was never a LRMageddon

^Delusional.

#446 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

I don't know which topic to post in anymore.

There seems to be two issues with LRM's since the hotfix.

One is there is a jagged hop at the end of the flight path. Where the missiles suddenly jerk sideways then come straight down.

The second problem is if someone is moving in the open and I have an LOS target on him for the whole missile flight, the missiles seem to miss instead of tracking horizontally to make contact.

And based on the paper dolls it's causing misses. This is especially evident against light mechs.

#447 Jestun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

View PostThontor, on 24 May 2013 - 05:26 AM, said:

I want them hotfixed ASAP so I can actually use them without being bored to death by the how little effort I have to put into hitting mechs with them.

LRMs between 3/21 and 5/21 were actually fun. Definitely a challenge, to do well with, but that is what made them fun. Getting 700 damage and 5 kills in a match, with a weapon system that people claimed was useless, just 2 LRM15s and no backup weapons, felt like I had actually accomplished something.

Now, people are getting that without even trying... And that doesn't sound appealing to me. Success without any effort is boring.

I really hope this hotfix makes LRMs fun again.

Pointing the reticle at the target and clicking the left mouse button is *much* harder when using PPCs, amirite?

I'm amazed so many people can manage to use PPCs, surely the amount of skill required would mean a tiny percentage of the population could manage the herculean task of pointing the reticle at a mech and clicking a mouse button!

But hey, those other noobs can fall back on LRMs where they have to... er... aim the reticle at the mech, hold it there to get lock, click the button & continue holding the lock for the duration of the flight.

Yeah, that's much easier! Having to aim for longer is easier! PPCs are hard because all you need to do is point and click, missiles are easy because you need to maintain the target lock!

#448 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

View PostLT Satisfactory, on 21 May 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

good thing they took a long hard look at lrms and fixed them 'from the ground up' thoroughly before releasing this debacle onto us. Can you (pgi) not ever make *mild* changes and see the incremental improvement before deciding to swing specs a little higher/lower? It's like you guys only have an on/off button for programming. The swings in buff/nerf are INSANE.

You read it how I read it.

I didn't think lrms were that bad before, and I do think they have a place in mwo for stripping armour, all they really needed was a stronger lock and a slight tweak, now its like MWO does the Somme

#449 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:53 AM

View PostThontor, on 25 May 2013 - 06:39 AM, said:

PPCs are alot harder

Do you mind if I put this in my sig? I just know it'll make me smile each time I read it. :huh:

#450 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostSolomon Ward, on 25 May 2013 - 03:05 AM, said:

^Delusional.

I Play since CB and the last LRMageddon was the few days after the Artemis introduction.

Any statement about a LRMageddon recvently was Propaganda, Exxageration, Drama.

I am annoyed to the greatest Limit that PGI jumps that quick for Drama-Queens!

And a **** from the depth of my heart!

Edited by Thorqemada, 26 May 2013 - 09:16 AM.

#451 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

Feedback: So after playing a bit last night, LRM's are definitely in play as I saw several LRM heavy teams who did well spotting and raining destruction, so they are definitely not being ignored....this is good. They are also not OP...the way you die from LRM's is to make a tactical mistake and/or simply get focus fired from multiple mechs. I also saw LRM's being used as a single launcher on some balanced builds...nice to see as well. There is some return to poptarding but it isn't in-your-face prevalent like before. In all, initial indications to me are that things are starting to balance out fairly nicely. ELO, however, is still completely broken as at one point I got 5 teams in a row last night who were clueless while the other team was professional soldiers..but such is the life of playing solo where 2 synced 4 mans can drop against your 8 solo player team. Not to hard to predict how that is going to turn out. Have I mentioned it would be nice to have a solo only que? Just sayin'...

#452 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

The hotfix did its job. LRMs are hard but not OP.
Good work Paul.

Odin

#453 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

We need HSR for missiles. I keep hitting fast moving mechs, and having it register 0 damage, when it's clear that most of the missiles impacted the target. I hope it makes it into next patch, as well as a damage buff up to at least 1.4 per missile.

#454 BroZerKer

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostLeartes, on 21 May 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

There is ALWAYS one more issue. You can't release anything and they'd still work on a pre-alpha status if they didn't decide once in a while to push things that are not final.

Doesn't sound very professional.

Seriously guys, have you even played the game? Sure it is a pain and sure you don't want to leave the house without ams at the moment, but it is really really fun (says the guy not playing lrms) at the moment. Battle is much less the brainless zerg horde than yesterday. People spread out a bit, take cover and try much much more to flank. Not saying it should stay the way it is, but this is not ZOMG unplayable.

I agree with this 100%. The game is still in BETA. A lot of work needs to be done. You ask the Dev's to make all these changes, but are you developers? Do you have any idea how much work goes on behind the scenes to create a game like this? Give them time to get everything the way it needs to be, without getting on the case of the people creating it. I run a jenner, and I'll tell you something about LRM's They don't do jack to me when I'm in their face pounding them with my Med Lasers. Don't like the way the game is going, change YOUR tactics to counter the popular ones. I think the game is coming along nicely. Kodos to the Dev team on this game. Keep up the good work guys!

#455 Araevin Teshurr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 368 posts
  • LocationIn your base, eating your food!

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

You're playing the fool mate, they make wide swings to break up the monotony of the game and force you to do something different, in the hopes you won't go play something else.

View PostLT Satisfactory, on 21 May 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

good thing they took a long hard look at lrms and fixed them 'from the ground up' thoroughly before releasing this debacle onto us. Can you (pgi) not ever make *mild* changes and see the incremental improvement before deciding to swing specs a little higher/lower? It's like you guys only have an on/off button for programming. The swings in buff/nerf are INSANE.

#456 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostRelaed, on 25 May 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

You're playing the fool mate, they make wide swings to break up the monotony of the game and force you to do something different, in the hopes you won't go play something else.

That is an interesting statement...

#457 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,737 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostDeaconW, on 25 May 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

That is an interesting statement...

I USED to have a girlfriend like that..and not due to changing things up, it was the amount of negative change...no good :huh:

#458 New Breed

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

I think they could use a damage boost now after the fix

#459 Airborne Thunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFiddler's Green

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostBroZerKer, on 25 May 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

I agree with this 100%. The game is still in BETA. A lot of work needs to be done. You ask the Dev's to make all these changes, but are you developers? Do you have any idea how much work goes on behind the scenes to create a game like this? Give them time to get everything the way it needs to be, without getting on the case of the people creating it. I run a jenner, and I'll tell you something about LRM's They don't do jack to me when I'm in their face pounding them with my Med Lasers. Don't like the way the game is going, change YOUR tactics to counter the popular ones. I think the game is coming along nicely. Kodos to the Dev team on this game. Keep up the good work guys!

Yes the game is still in BETA but don't forget they are still charging us real money for their product in the meantime. Big things could take a while to fix but small things (like not messing up on a patch and leaving the Founders Tag box out of the mechlab) could be fixed pretty quickly. The BETA shield is only so big.

#460 Belisarius1

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

I'll be honest, this is a strange mechanic.

What this essentially does is make missiles better when fired indirectly. That's counter intuitive and weird. Provided I have a spotter, it's actually in my interests to intentionally put a building between the target and myself before I fire.

That's weird, and kind of stupid. There is no disadvantage to indirect fire at the moment, afaik. Something like spread needs to be higher when you're not firing directly.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users