Incoming Hot Fix - 24/05/2013 (Updated!)

436 replies to this topic

#321 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

LRMs are worthless again. I went out and tested LRM 45 with Artemis, BAP, and TAG and fired on the targets all the other LRM mechs were firing on and I would have to say we were a great deficit to the team in every battle. Anything else would have been better even though we always endeavored to stay at maximum range.

I have never played a MechWarrior game where the LRMs were so difficult to use and so useless in a direct fire confrontation. I won't be testing them anymore until they are fixed again. They are not competitive with other weapons of the same payload space.

Edited by Lightfoot, 24 May 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#322 Commander Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 24 May 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

LRMs are worthless again. I went out and tested LRM 45 with Artemis and TAG and fired on the targets all the other LRM mechs were firing on and I would have to say we were a great deficit to the team in every battle. Anything else would have been better even though we always endeavored to stay at maximum range.

I have never played a MechWarrior game where the LRMs were so difficult to use and so useless in a direct fire confrontation. I won't be testing them anymore until they are fixed again. They are not competitive with other weapons of the same payload space.

They are not completely useless they just aren't as competitive, I ran a match about 20 ish minutes ago where I was able to down a stationary commando in one volley (dual A-LRM15s no TaG) this "nerf" only really hurt anyone foolish enough to not use a minimum of 30 LRMs per volley which kind of encourages boating which is the real problem. edit: mind you the commando had just been raked with 2 large lasers before hand.

Edited by Omni 13, 24 May 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#323 Thorqemada

• 6,376 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostTOGSolid, on 24 May 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

Then why were we experiencing LRMageddon before this hotfix? Your logic is not adding up.

Your assumption that there was a LRMageddon recently is false!

#324 Thomas Covenant

• 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 23 May 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

Stay out in the open and you're still going to feel the pain.

Something epic about that.

#325 Mynder

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

If the spread problem was solved through reduction of splash damage, then all LRMs need would be a damage buff. That is something PGI can fine tune. Like make it 1.0-1.2 instead of 0.9 damage per missile. Wait a week, tune again, until it's "working as intended".

#326 BlueSanta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 373 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostOmni 13, on 24 May 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

you said that you where getting cored all the time, While running my dual LRM 15 catapult the only times I've cored people are if they're running directly away from me or towards me, ergo you must be staring at the LRMs or running away from them. Also your logic on your first comment is flawed in that it is mostly based on assumption

you're in a lightly armored medium of course you're going to die if you get hit

doing 600dmg does not make a weapon OP I don't see what you're trying to point out here.

Dying and getting cored by splash damage are two different things.

#327 Panzertoeter

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

I want my reflective armor from the old MW games back. Tons of stuff to counter LRMs - and what to counter a laser boat except cover which applies to every weapon ?

Edited by Panzertoeter, 24 May 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#328 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

LRM flight path has had it's drop point moved back along the path by 23% when using indirect firing. Splash damage drastically reduced. Damage per missile and all other aspects have not been changed.

The flight path change makes it so that when you have indirect firing capabilities, the missiles don't come down at 80'ish degrees. They now come down between 60-70 degrees allowing you to take cover much easier. Stay out in the open and you're still going to feel the pain.

CHANGE LIST
Gameplay:
-Changes to Missile damage and spread.

So, looking at this optimistically, this means that the total damage is concentrated more, right? right?

:).

View PostDude42, on 24 May 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

Why was damage per missile not adjusted to compensate? As I said previously, 0.7 with 180cm splash is much more effective than 0.9 with 5cm splash.(Altho I dind't have the exact numbers) Doesn't this actually equate to a nerf? Were missiles not useless enough before?

THIS.

Also, doesn't this amount to a Tourmaline meganerf (and the reinstatement of snipealine?

#329 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostBlueSanta, on 24 May 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

Dying and getting cored by splash damage are two different things.

might not be splash damage, check the post paul made a few minutes ago

#330 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Heh, after getting very poor results in a 30 missile 'Pult I changed to D-DC with ER PPC's, streaks and AC5's and started rolling over people. This mech is at least twice as efficient as that LRM Cat. So much for LRM power. That buff to AC5's was quite nice, btw. I've always liked to use them just for style even though Ultras were obviously better. Now after that buff they aren't that much worse than ultra's, which suits me fine.

#331 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostSephlock, on 24 May 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

LRM flight path has had it's drop point moved back along the path by 23% when using indirect firing. Splash damage drastically reduced. Damage per missile and all other aspects have not been changed.

The flight path change makes it so that when you have indirect firing capabilities, the missiles don't come down at 80'ish degrees. They now come down between 60-70 degrees allowing you to take cover much easier. Stay out in the open and you're still going to feel the pain.

CHANGE LIST
Gameplay:
-Changes to Missile damage and spread.

So, looking at this optimistically, this means that the total damage is concentrated more, right? right?

:).

THIS.

Also, doesn't this amount to a Tourmaline meganerf (and the reinstatement of snipealine?

if by this you mean are poptarts back in power then yes.

#332 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

The jump-shooters are kind of an obnoxious, game-world killing meta right now. There's no strategy to standing behind something, hitting jump, having a clear shot, then landing...over and over and over and over and...

It's just boring to play against. It was nice to see people start using actual strategy, although I fully agree that LRMs were overpowered. But now the problem, as before, is the jump-shooters.

A simple "rattle & shake" while you're jumping would fix this. You could still poptart, you just wouldn't be MEGASNIPER like you are now.

#333 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 24 May 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

The jump-shooters are kind of an obnoxious, game-world killing meta right now. There's no strategy to standing behind something, hitting jump, having a clear shot, then landing...over and over and over and over and...

It's just boring to play against. It was nice to see people start using actual strategy, although I fully agree that LRMs were overpowered. But now the problem, as before, is the jump-shooters.

A simple "rattle & shake" while you're jumping would fix this. You could still poptart, you just wouldn't be MEGASNIPER like you are now.

Shake is coming in the next patch

#334 BlueSanta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 373 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 24 May 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

Rabble rabble rabble!! :)

Splash damage was reduced from 1.8m to 0.05m. That's 180cm to 5cm.

CT is taking more damage than the rest of your components why? Because the CT is the largest part of a BattleMech. It's going to take the most hits out of a volley of missiles. The missiles are not told to target any part of a Mech, they're told to get into position and follow that path from start to finish. If your target turns their torso 90 degrees from incoming missiles, they're going to lose an arm before they get cored.

Paul, I'm going to have to call your bluff. We know the SSRMs are told to target five locations on a mech: CT, shoulders, and thighs. A volley picks one of those five locations to hit, to my understanding.

#335 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostTexAss, on 24 May 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

the bigger question is if it will actually work or not.

#336 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostBlueSanta, on 24 May 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Paul, I'm going to have to call your bluff. We know the SSRMs are told to target five locations on a mech: CT, shoulders, and thighs. A volley picks one of those five locations to hit, to my understanding.

LRMs and Streaks do not use the same targeting mechanics

#337 Maelas

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLenexa, KS

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

I must admit, I agree that the splash and trajectory needed to be adjusted. Its evident in my streames even that i was only being CT cored with LRM fire. Every single time i died to LRM fire, i was CT cored, every....single.....time. Anything that runs slower than 100 could not avoid them. Any amount of cover, unless its the tallest structure on the map, could not protect you. This adjustment doesnt OP or UP them. I appreciate PGI for being as reactive as they are when issues are being noticed.

This is all just from my perspective of course and im not an awesome pilot by any stretch. As another poster stated as well, no matter what is added/removed/adjusted in this game or ANY game for that matter, there will always be some people who dont like the way it is and will post about it. You cant and wont make everyone happy...ever..There are even people who know nothing is wrong with the game but will just post crap to try to get the game adjusted to meet THEIR needs alone. I dont think you will lose your player base trying to address issues that are brought up personally but then again, im not a dev.

I still love this game, and will continue to play as long as it is supported.

#338 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

JJ shake might help but I cannot stress enough that we need more proper brawl weapons. AC20's are good for sure but generally speaking the snipe weapons (PPC's and Gausses) do not suffer enough disadvantage in close quarters since many short range weapons are just crap at the moment. I mean especially SRM's and small pulse lasers and medium pulse lasers to some extent as well. These weapons should rock the snipers if they get close, but now they do not.

#339 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostTexAss, on 24 May 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

The better solution would have been to let LRMs continue until the shake was implemented. Because I don't know about you but I'd much rather face a bunch of LRM boats than poptarts.

#340 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostOpCentar, on 24 May 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

LRM damage is now to prepatch levels, useless unless heavily boated.

this is definitely a problem. a normal dual lrm 15 catapult isnt viable anymore. guessing the loss of splash dmg toned the lrms down way to much, maybe trying 1.2-1.5 for dmg is now necessary. hvy boating is the big issue which hopefully boating heat penalties can address.

poptarts are totally back, we need to be able to arc the lrms over cover better with tag narc at the very least.

Edited by Colonel Pada Vinson, 24 May 2013 - 02:11 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users