6" Tall Posable Atlas (Picture Overload!)

3D

291 replies to this topic

#141 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 06 June 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

Can you tell us what kind of 3D printer you have if we want to do it ourselves?

I'm using the Ultimaker (http://www.ultimaker.com/) There are a ton of options ranging from $800-$20000 in terms of 3d printers. (http://www.3ders.org...are/3dprinters/)

I got the ultimaker as a kit, which means you build it yourself, they ship you the parts. It's a bit cheaper than assembled. but more importantly you understand the mechanics of how it works. I've written a review here on their site if you're interested:
http://umforum.ultim...-first-samples/

I'm pretty sure the machine can produce better quality than I have with the atlas so far once fully tuned.

I recommend you play with some 3D software if you aren't familiar with it before diving into printing.

View PostMad Camp, on 06 June 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

@Valcrow: Have you considered using Acetone Vapor to smooth the features out any? It's pretty cheap and ends up giving some really nice results. The method has been posted in a bunch of places since it hit the bigger blogs, and despite the flammability of acetone, it's really safe.

http://hackaday.com/...-acetone-vapor/

Acetone "worst case scenario" flame test:

I have, and those guys are using acetone on ABS plastic. I'm using PLA, which is not dissolvable with ascetone. (apparently it does funny things to it) So i'll have to try other stuff like heat guns and sandpaper.

Still. that's a decent sized fire! :)

#142 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

Holy mother of all that is awesome!

Like the Grinch something I have just grew 3x today!

View PostNiko Snow, on 07 June 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

I totally didn't notice before that there was a Canadian nickel....+1

I think that is an MC in its physical form.

#143 Mokou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

Posted Image

#144 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

View PostNiko Snow, on 07 June 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

I totally didn't notice before that there was a Canadian nickel....+1

It's because we no longer have pennies... nickles are kinda confusing for non-canadians eh? :)

#145 Skorrn

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:43 AM

Sir. I demand that you up scale your design immediately to 6 feet. I want to wear this.

#146 Durkan

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 29 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:26 AM

That's just brilliant.. :ph34r:

I have, and those guys are using acetone on ABS plastic. I'm using PLA, which is not dissolvable with ascetone. (apparently it does funny things to it) So i'll have to try other stuff like heat guns and sandpaper.

Have you seen this ?

http://hackaday.com/...-printed-parts/

#147 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

View PostSkorrn, on 08 June 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

Sir. I demand that you up scale your design immediately to 6 feet. I want to wear this.

I think you would have better luck with the paper craft atlas and make it out of cardboard 6' tall :P

View PostDurkan, on 08 June 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

The comments kinda suggest it's much more dangerous than acetone.... They need to keep looking for solvents that won't grow me extra arms!

#148 Stardust Reverie

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWithin the Border of Fantasy

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:19 AM

I don't have any desire to pay $30 for a mech in MWO. I would, however, be much more willing to pay $30 for fully posable, highly detailed, 6 inch figures of my favorite mechs. Especially if they are in scale to one another and come with changable parts to make different variants.

In other words, to all you guys out there who own the Battletech IP rights, now's your chance to make some dough. Some of us have been waiting a long time for something like this and would gladly buy a figure like this.

Edited by Stardust Reverie, 19 June 2013 - 12:20 AM.

#149 DasFreshMaker

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAjax, Ontario

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostStardust Reverie, on 19 June 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

I don't have any desire to pay $30 for a mech in MWO. I would, however, be much more willing to pay $30 for fully posable, highly detailed, 6 inch figures of my favorite mechs. Especially if they are in scale to one another and come with changable parts to make different variants.

In other words, to all you guys out there who own the Battletech IP rights, now's your chance to make some dough. Some of us have been waiting a long time for something like this and would gladly buy a figure like this.

Seconded !!! ;) ( please do this, so I can stop tormenting the people in the other treads about their fig :D )

#150 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

I love this

#151 Rubidiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

Valcrow
This should've costed like 400$, am I right?
Shots with the dog are really sweet and funny btw. :D

#152 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

View PostRubidiy, on 21 June 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

Valcrow
This should've costed like 400$, am I right?
Shots with the dog are really sweet and funny btw. :D

Probably would be if you sent it to a professional printing service. :(
I'm always annoying the dog for pictures when she's sleepy. That's why beagles are awesome! If you can't get an atlas, get a beagle!

#153 Rubidiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostStardust Reverie, on 19 June 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

copyrights to mecha toys are in Japan, if I remember it right. So now the only way is to print'em in 3D printing service. A figure that big will cost you around 400-500$. You can order it smaller, but I'm stuck with finding out, weather or not all details are gonna be printed. (quality of pro printers is much better)
I've prepared for printing this model below. it's 12cm tall and should cost you around 150-200$ if printed in this size, but finding out about printing quality is up to you. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

download link to a printing file: https://dl.dropboxus...alker_02out.stl

Edited by Rubidiy, 21 June 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#154 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Im sure at that size a pro printer would be able to get most if not all of the details. except maybe the antana. I think even my printer would be able to replicate most of those details. Sentinel has ones like half that size and it has all the details.

You should see if there are any local people that have printers, most are willing to recoup a buck or two from their initial investment on a printer, and generally just wanna print something so they'll do it for a fair price. Quality will probably be comparable to the atlas though. I've since tuned the software and hardware on mine and i think it's quite a bit cleaner now.

As for your model, it's pretty cool, but it doesn't quite look print ready yet. too many gaps and intersections, but it mostly passes an STL check. Before you plunk the money down for a print, I would close up all those gaps first or it'll just fall apart once support material is removed. (though my perspective is from a consumer level printer, might be more forgiving for a professional one)

#155 Stardust Reverie

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWithin the Border of Fantasy

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostRubidiy, on 21 June 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

copyrights to mecha toys are in Japan, if I remember it right. So now the only way is to print'em in 3D printing service.

Do you mean mecha in general regardless of what series it's from? Or the rights to distribute specifically Battletech figures?

#156 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:50 AM

Version 1

Posted Image

BUT! version 2!!

Posted Image

Now with ball-joints so we can pose like posters. :P

#157 zraven7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:13 AM

Posted Image

Nope, we download 'Mechs now, thank you!

#158 MrTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 242 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Don't know if this has been mentioned here but...

This is a UK shop, they sell everything to make anything. Currently they are in the news as they are the first high street shop in the UK to sell 3D printers. Imagine my surprise when I saw what you could make with there printer...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/3d-printer

#159 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

You have become quite the celebrity. Nice work!

And I would also like to mention that it is awesome that the model we use in game works in real life.

If only we could make a full sized one. Maybe that should be a community project.

#160 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Whoa, that's so not cool. It would be one thing if I actually used their printer, and if they asked permission to use it. But neither is true.

Technically they don't say it was made with their printer, and there's a bunch of other images on there that is obvious isn't from from their product, but still. it's borderline deception, and misrepresentation at best.

View PostMrTarget, on 08 July 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned here but...

This is a UK shop, they sell everything to make anything. Currently they are in the news as they are the first high street shop in the UK to sell 3D printers. Imagine my surprise when I saw what you could make with there printer...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/3d-printer

21 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users