6" Tall Posable Atlas (Picture Overload!)

3D

291 replies to this topic

#161 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostValcrow, on 09 July 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

Whoa, that's so not cool. It would be one thing if I actually used their printer, and if they asked permission to use it. But neither is true.

Technically they don't say it was made with their printer, and there's a bunch of other images on there that is obvious isn't from from their product, but still. it's borderline deception, and misrepresentation at best.

Whoah!

If this was Harmony Gold they would be outta business already!

#162 Waylandx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 273 posts
  • LocationAt the computer!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Sweet!!!! Love it!!!

#163 MrTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 242 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostValcrow, on 09 July 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

Whoa, that's so not cool. It would be one thing if I actually used their printer, and if they asked permission to use it. But neither is true.

Technically they don't say it was made with their printer, and there's a bunch of other images on there that is obvious isn't from from their product, but still. it's borderline deception, and misrepresentation at best.

What printer did you use if you don't mind me asking?

#164 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostZnSeventeen, on 09 July 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

You have become quite the celebrity. Nice work!

And I would also like to mention that it is awesome that the model we use in game works in real life.

If only we could make a full sized one. Maybe that should be a community project.

Most of the joints worked pretty well for a game model, especially surprised with the arm joints, only required a bit of modification to get enough room for the thing to rotate freely. PGI definitely put a lot of attention to these models for sure, and I have to say I appreciate it that much more after going through piece by piece.

The only part that wasn't so physics friendly was the elbowpads, which I've attached to the Triceps. It was kinda floating.

The Shoulders were the most challenging part, the whole arm actually pivots on the floaty shield thing.

What printer did you use if you don't mind me asking?

That would be the ultimaker (http://www.ultimaker.com/)

#165 Grey Norse

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationHere, Now

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'm in the process of ordering a 3d printer to make some prototype parts for work...
your files are free information..
SO, can you send me your files and when I get a chance I'll try printing my own.

Also can you do an uziel??

#166 Grey Norse

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationHere, Now

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for listing the brand of the printer.
Just for info, do you know how big the build space is?

I'd like to do a pair of Dragon (not the mech the animal) statues as book ends for my Kenpo Sensei, but they are like 10 inches tall and 9 inches wide..

#167 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

View PostDi, on 12 July 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

Dude, there is a problem. That's not atlas, that's awesome.

How dare you equate such a beautiful machine to such a pile of crap.
AWAY WITH YOU HERETIC, BEFORE LORD ATLAI SEES YOU UNFIT TO LIVE.

#168 Grey Norse

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationHere, Now

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

How about this for all the copyright worriers.
Valcrow's method of taking the mech 3d files and making parts from them is his process. Its his not PGI's.
So Why not have Valcrow teach us (through a blog or some videos) how he did it the conversion from the 3d file to parts to be printed as (sla or whatever format he was using).
Those of us that want these bad enough can go an make our own.
That would even allow for more than just the pla printers to be used (it looks like we are going to purchase a photo reactive resin printer).

#169 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostGrey Norse, on 12 July 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

Thanks for listing the brand of the printer.
Just for info, do you know how big the build space is?

I'd like to do a pair of Dragon (not the mech the animal) statues as book ends for my Kenpo Sensei, but they are like 10 inches tall and 9 inches wide..

it's roughly 20cm cubed. You usually break it up into parts anyway so size isn't that much of an issue, the torso of the atlas was the biggest piece and even that's like 6cm x 5cm x 5cm. If you're getting a work printer it might be a bigger awesomer one which can handle it all in one go.

I was actually gonna do a video at some point, but the process is just so repetitive that it would probably be better for putting people to sleep. It's not a complex process if you know basic 3d and what the printer wants to ingest. And 3d models are independent to the type of printer you want to use, so I can print my model just as well from photo resin to powdered steel if so inclined. Just a lot more expensive than PLA.

I'll help you out where I can in pointing you in the right direction, but most likely will not be distributing the models I made.

#170 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

View PostGrey Norse, on 13 July 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

How about this for all the copyright worriers.
Valcrow's method of taking the mech 3d files and making parts from them is his process. Its his not PGI's.
So Why not have Valcrow teach us (through a blog or some videos) how he did it the conversion from the 3d file to parts to be printed as (sla or whatever format he was using).
Those of us that want these bad enough can go an make our own.
That would even allow for more than just the pla printers to be used (it looks like we are going to purchase a photo reactive resin printer).

Technicaly thats accurate he could teach you how to do this without getting in trouble. but if you dont know how to use 3d modeling software you're better of getting some generic tutorials in whatever program you want to/can use. Teaching people how to model is hard and there often is no one way to do these things. once you know how to model, figuring out how to make something printable is easy.

#171 Donner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 132 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

i want one!

#172 bashpr0mpt

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 30 May 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

Ho-ly-crap. This is awesome.

Also - that Beagle Active Probe ;D

So the community managers are just fans appointed as mods and not employees of PGI?

I say that because if they were a PGI employee they wouldn't be saying it's awesome, they would be locking and deleting the friend and going through account records to get this guys address for the inevitably intellectual property infringement they will be enforcing like certain table top gaming companies do when you print their miniatures with a 3DP instead of paying $80 for a $0.01 die cast by them. :)

I made the mistake of seeing ' rather than " and got so excited someone printed a six foot Atlas. :rolleyes: But yeah, I wonder how long it will be until he gets the take down order and legal threats? You just know they'll be bricking it that he'll learn to sand down his creations and sell them on eBay (and yes, you can sand down (and acetone wash) 3d printed models to get rid of the gnarly line wriggle effect of the sintering print method) because they were too lazy to negotiate rights.

#173 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

That's possibly the longest sentence in this thread. This is on their official site, with like 9 pages of replies including some mods, I'm pretty sure they know about it by now... and if they wanted to take it down they probably would have done it already. PGI's kept a pretty open stance on stuff like this and have been pretty supportive as long as you're not selling it.

If you're referring to a certain other tabletop company that has a history if not liking 3d printers... it's only a matter of time before 3d printers get good and cheap enough. Fun times, who knows what will happen then when it reaches critical mass, not just for toys but all manner of practical things.

#174 Mr Breaker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 111 posts
  • LocationEngland, Great Britain

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

dude you need to paint it and then post some pictures..

like this guy.

http://mwomercs.com/...in-raven-model/

#175 Anubis Ka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

Can you post a link to the source files for 3D printing? If you wish send me a PM with a link.
I really would like to get this done.

#176 PR1VATEER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

Sir why are you not working for pgi? What you just described went way be so far over my head it orbited the moon! I had no idea this is possible! Does it create the pieces like it did in Jurassic Park 2 that machine they used? Amazing work kudos! And be sure to let us know if you do a Jeagermech!

Edited by Pivateer, 20 July 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#177 TrueNateDogg

• Pip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

now THIS is something I would pay for. Take that into consideration.

#178 carl kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 395 posts
  • LocationMoon Base Alpha

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

Valcrow...your Atlas is amazing. ;) Whats the max size you could output your Atlas to on your 3d printer? I ask because for me the larger the better. If you break all the components up of the Atlas and print them separately you could make it larger ? A 10 to 12 inch Atlas would be incredible.
Ck

#179 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

I don't remember a 3d printer on Jurassic park.. But maybe, the tech has been around for a while, just hasn't been affordable until now...

I just did some rough number crunching, and without changing anything but the scale and the maximum print area of my printer, I can make it roughly 18 inches tall.

It is already in pieces so I just tested with the biggest part (the torso) and worked out the rest of the scaling.

That said it would probably take like 5 days of printing continuously at that size and roughly a kilogram of Plastic. It estimates 15 hours for the torso alone.

#180 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

Jurassic Park 3, actually. They reproduce the nasal passages of a Velociraptor with it, or some such.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users