6" Tall Posable Atlas (Picture Overload!)

3D

291 replies to this topic

#201 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

Thanks, I was pretty content with the printed look as well, or maybe I was just too inexperienced to paint something this complex.. But I had to paint another project which gave me enough confidence to try the atlas. It helps that I could just print another part if I mess up :P

View PostLiam Intaki, on 12 August 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

How is that resin for sanding to rid some of the defects and smoothing out the rest of the model?

Looks fantastic right now though! I would kill to get myself some MWO mech models!

Sanding works quite well, you can get a really smooth finish if you work at it. I usually sand the bottom flat surfaces to remove some material to counteract the slight warping and it gets really smooth. Torch it lightly and the powder & stress marks dissapear. The problem is mechs tend to have a lot of pointy bits, makes getting into the grooves kinda difficult. Also.. sanding's not that much fun...

I think the most gains can be had by taking the time and printing it nice the first time, avoid all the post processes as much as possible and save time too.

#202 Frozen Spirit Jac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:35 AM

When you do think of printing/making and selling them on e-bay or just this forum. Create a new thread for selling them, I am more than sure a sh#@ nickle lot of people would stand in line for weeks to get there hands on some. Me, I am waiting on a Shadow Cat II, Jenner... and others yes, so you are going to start making them for everyone yes...

#203 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:26 PM

Unfortunately not for sale :/

But stay tuned.. Will have more stuff to show soon!

#204 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostValcrow, on 30 September 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

Unfortunately not for sale :/

But stay tuned.. Will have more stuff to show soon!

Thanks to some help from you, my cough..... King Crab.....cough.... "Emperor Crab" should be available pretty soon though!!!

#205 Sergeant Death

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 42 posts
  • LocationAustria, Niederösterreich

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

What do i have to do to get such an Atlas for myself?! ill do all u want!!! ALL U WANT!!! I love Atlas from day i first have a sight on one... PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW TO GET ONE!!!

#206 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:30 AM

Your 3d prints really are awesome Valcrow, I'm beginning to appreciate the amount of work that goes into doing one of these, if I can get a result half as good as these I'll be very happy. Was wondering if you had any suggestions you could share for the space to leave around the pins in the moveable components where they join other sections ie: that the joint is not too loose or too tight?

#207 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

View Postkiriage, on 04 October 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

Your 3d prints really are awesome Valcrow, I'm beginning to appreciate the amount of work that goes into doing one of these, if I can get a result half as good as these I'll be very happy. Was wondering if you had any suggestions you could share for the space to leave around the pins in the moveable components where they join other sections ie: that the joint is not too loose or too tight?

There is a ton of things to consider when designing the joints. I think the biggest consideration is what printing you're printing on. If it's a super precise one, you can afford to design your joints a little bit tighter. For my printer, there are a lot of variables like it's accuracy at different orientations, overhangs that would interfere with a slotted joint. etc.

For this reason I design in features in the joints that help me assemble. Here's a Sarah Jenner joint solution I'm particularly fond of.

Posted Image

Because of the crazy shape, I had to print all these parts separately. To ensure their proper orientation, I made the peg a square. (with cut holes on in to lessen the friction) The round jaggedy block with a square in it actually acts as a friction holder to clamp down on the balljoint. without it it pops off it's socket easily. I also separated the balljoint from the leg part because of an orientation conflict. if you look closely at the ball with hexagon piece. there's a little indent in it. That's because on the opposing part, that side has an overhang which causes tolerance issues. Everything has a purpose.

Best part is once it's all hammered together, everything is seamless, holds with only friction and shows no signs that any of this even exists. Makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Of course, round pins work just as well once you figure out the printers properties. Just add a little lip and it'll click into place. (big round center hole on the pelvis block.

Here's what my 3D file usually ends up looking like.

Posted Image

I'm not sure if that helps you or just kinda makes it more daunting... but if it's your printer, do a bunch of tests. if it's shapeways or other, I think their tolerances are very accurate. you can always sand it down a tiny bit if it's too tight, but can't add friction usually...

#208 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

It helps a lot, thanks Valcrow. Some stuff to think over here definitely. Most likely I'll use Shapeways or similar, cost estimates based on what I've uploaded there so far seem to fall within Bishop's range. Im creating it in pieces as well, daunting..uh yeah..kinda..never having taken a model to print before, there's a significant time investment to work it out :D My biggest challenge is going to be the feet area on the model..especially with the struts, Im not certain how thats all going to work..but find out soon enough I guess when I get to that bit. Thanks for the help.

#209 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:19 AM

Your Atlas figurine is mindblowingly good, and I love the amazing detail.

However, my Atlas figurine below challenges your Atlas figurine to a fight!
Posted Image

Edited by Leeroy Mechkins, 05 October 2013 - 03:28 AM.

#210 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:40 AM

Amazingly done.

#211 panzerkunst99

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

I lack the words to fully express my admiration - so Outstandingly amazing!!!! Will have to do :)

#212 SpankN

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 98 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

Holy cow I'd pay some serious money for something awesome like that!

#213 PsychoJosh

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

How did you accomplish this? Did you buy a 3D printer or do you have a friend who has one?

#214 W E N D I G O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 1,383 posts
  • LocationMIA Страна Мечты, Lechenka District

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

Since it has been said before it is merely a repitition but it simply has to be written just one more time: Really amazing and awesome work. Grats on that and best of luck for your future endeavours.

#215 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

Aw thanks for the comments all! ;)

View PostPsychoJosh, on 08 October 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

How did you accomplish this? Did you buy a 3D printer or do you have a friend who has one?

I have a 3D printer. It's not a big commercial one, so they're relatively affordable. I have a WIP of the Sarah's Jenner up soon so you can see how it's made.

View PostAlpha Wendigo, on 08 October 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

Since it has been said before it is merely a repitition but it simply has to be written just one more time: Really amazing and awesome work. Grats on that and best of luck for your future endeavours.

Thanks! if you haven't seen it yet. I present to you my future endevour. ;)
http://mwomercs.com/...-sarahs-jenner/

#216 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

I forgot to put this here.

I used the 3d printed atlas to test my 3d printed turntable to video my 3d printed jenner.

#217 W E N D I G O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 1,383 posts
  • LocationMIA Страна Мечты, Lechenka District

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

Just followed the link to Sarah's Jenner - ...

Piece of art, astonishing. So much detail. Can't believe it. Had the luck to "meet" one (S-Jenner) with my new Locust on the virtual battlefield in the last days and looked at the textures from all sides. Immediately recognized the details on your model. Really cool. And completely movable. Just wow.

Sadly I don't own one of the Jenners myself, wasn't playing MWO at the time since I didn't know it. Sad Story and extra props for your contributions.

Keep it up, will follow this thread for sure.

#218 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

Don't get too excited this is kinda just a print test... but... glowy red eyes!!!

Posted Image

#219 thebman

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 31 posts
  • Locationkansas

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

very cool

#220 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostValcrow, on 21 October 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

Don't get too excited this is kinda just a print test... but... glowy red eyes!!!

Curse you Valcrow..you just keep moving the finish line ... :)

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users