6" Tall Posable Atlas (Picture Overload!)

3D

291 replies to this topic

#121 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

Wow.... Just.... Wow....

There is money to be made here, PGI just needs to get the legalities done.

I know id spend $$$ on it.

#122 soulfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 320 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

Silly peoples PGI does not have the licenses to sell any type of mech figure or art.Generally that stuff is very costly Microsoft never owned the rights either.It is why you will prob never see T-shirts from PGI. The cost is pretty prohibitive I think there is only one company that I have seen that sells battletech mechwarrior type t-shirts and they are less than impressive.

#123 bishop

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

Armorcast produces resin model kits, or used to, they're all very simple though. Also there were the crappy joyride mechwarrior figure things.

Posted Image

Edited by bishop, 05 June 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#124 GeneralFitzhugh

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 42 posts
  • LocationPort Coquitlam, Canada

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Let me know if you want to sell me one or if you are posting the print files.

#125 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

Wow thanks for the comments guys! Awesome it got posted on the MW:O FB. :)

The interest is amazing, but alas, they aren't available for sale. :/ And no, files won't be available either. You can always grab the game asset files which are freely available in the 'how to create your own PGI mechs' thread however if you're interested. It's not exactly an open and print... but it's there!

The alternative is to lobby PGI to Lobby Catalyst to lobby Topps to Lobby Microsoft... or something or nothing like that. But regardless, probably more complicated. ;)

#126 Rigiroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 350 posts
  • LocationValhala

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

View PostValcrow, on 05 June 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

Wow thanks for the comments guys! Awesome it got posted on the MW:O FB. :)

The interest is amazing, but alas, they aren't available for sale. :/ And no, files won't be available either. You can always grab the game asset files which are freely available in the 'how to create your own PGI mechs' thread however if you're interested. It's not exactly an open and print... but it's there!

The alternative is to lobby PGI to Lobby Catalyst to lobby Topps to Lobby Microsoft... or something or nothing like that. But regardless, probably more complicated. ;)

Why wont you be releasing the files for this if you don't mind sharing?

#127 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:49 AM

View PostSteemship, on 06 June 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

Why wont you be releasing the files for this if you don't mind sharing?

Because distributing a means to undermine copyright is illegal. normaly when one company holds all the licences they say sure this is fanart and you're free to do it. however with the battletech licence there are 6 or so companies that can take offense what were doing with their designs. and we dont know what any of these companies's stance is on all this "unauthorised" content. better safe than sorry.

#128 sirjackinthebox

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 70 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

View PostSentinel373, on 29 May 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

that is awesome! i think if you took some sandpaper and putty to this thing you can make its nice and smooth.
and its amazing that this thing stays upright using just regular round joints.

View PostSentinel373, on 29 May 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

that is awesome! i think if you took some sandpaper and putty to this thing you can make its nice and smooth.
and its amazing that this thing stays upright using just regular round joints.

I think the cut lines add a lot of added detail, but yeah some parts like the head could use a bit of smoothing...

#129 HisN

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

Awesome,
if I had the ability, I would make it 6ft and take it as a butler for holding hat and towel :-)

#130 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

well why would you buy something awesome like this when you can get the crap IWM puts out?
seriously though, this is boss and also iwm needs to update all of their sculpts and use plastics, and fix all of the crap mold lines....ok sorry for the rant.
but yeah great job on this...gimmie?

#131 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostValcrow, on 05 June 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

Thankfully for us, Microsoft can be taken out of the equation... they hold Mechwarrior game rights... which have nothing to do with the miniatures or art. :D

#132 Rigiroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 350 posts
  • LocationValhala

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostSentinel373, on 06 June 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

Because distributing a means to undermine copyright is illegal. normaly when one company holds all the licences they say sure this is fanart and you're free to do it. however with the battletech licence there are 6 or so companies that can take offense what were doing with their designs. and we dont know what any of these companies's stance is on all this "unauthorised" content. better safe than sorry.

Thanks for clarifying!

#133 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostAdridos, on 06 June 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Thankfully for us, Microsoft can be taken out of the equation... they hold Mechwarrior game rights... which have nothing to do with the miniatures or art. ;)

Wrong. The mechwarrior online mech designs are part of the mechwarrior videogame license

#134 darkvesperia

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

I don't care how but PGI find a way to work with valcrow to shut up and take my money ;)

#135 Paradoxum

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostSentinel373, on 06 June 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

Better safe than sorry? this is just being overly paranoid. It's fan art, simple as that. just put the files up somewhere like mega.co.nz anonymously and once they're out in the open there's nothing anyone can do to stop distribution. seriously, if you think this is a problem how do you think torrents are still going after all these years? you can't stop the signal.

#136 HoppinRaven

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 44 posts
  • LocationI'd say behind you, but I'd be lying.

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

Fantastic!

Where is my 3D printer!

#137 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostParadoxum, on 06 June 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

Better safe than sorry? this is just being overly paranoid. It's fan art, simple as that. just put the files up somewhere like mega.co.nz anonymously and once they're out in the open there's nothing anyone can do to stop distribution. seriously, if you think this is a problem how do you think torrents are still going after all these years? you can't stop the signal.

The fact that we are posting this on the official MWO forums would make us highly suspect when suddenly people are printing pose able atlases everywhere. You will have the file and your happy go lucky 3d printed MWO mech, but if these companies want to take action, we the creators of these files will get the hammer not you. Also did you ever consider that people might not want to share these files.

#138 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

Can you tell us what kind of 3D printer you have if we want to do it ourselves?

Edited by Roughneck45, 06 June 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#139 Mad Camp

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

@Valcrow: Have you considered using Acetone Vapor to smooth the features out any? It's pretty cheap and ends up giving some really nice results. The method has been posted in a bunch of places since it hit the bigger blogs, and despite the flammability of acetone, it's really safe.

http://hackaday.com/...-acetone-vapor/

Acetone "worst case scenario" flame test:

#140 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostParadoxum, on 06 June 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

I agree with all of sentinel's points.. and would like to add..

That there is very little reason, from our perspective, to disseminate the files, unless we're looking for trouble... Please understand that I simply chose a medium because that was the most aligned with my pre-existing skillset, and not primarily because it can be easily distributed. Had I been a clay sculptor, I would have made it out of clay.

'Fan art' Which at it's core, respects, and is inspired by the original creators and creations. Legal issues aside, it would be irresponsible and disrespectful to the original creators if we simply made the printable files available to everyone. What if someone else starts printing and selling? What if Catalyst & PGI already has plans or is in the process of making something like this? It would be damaging to everyone, and the medium as a whole.

I'm quite happy with the reception and responses that it's garnered already, as fan art goes, this has been a smash hit! I'm more than satisfied with the results already given all the positivity and encouragement. We've succeed in learning some stuff, making some art, getting some attention, letting PGI know their mech designs are awesome, and got inspired. Maybe PGi will see the interest here and create these things so that everyone can have one eventually. Until then, if you still want one it requires a bit more effort than spending money. But worry not, there are plenty of willing souls here to help you out if you so choose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users