Jump-Jet Shake Feedback

1217 replies to this topic

#1201 sgt scout

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 02 July 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

So im back on patch day after ragequiting 2 weeks ago and uninstalling thanks to the my spider makes me sick from assault/heavy jumpjet screenshake nerf thing to find nothing at all in the patch notes about this topic and a "weneedmoremoneybuyournewfounderspack"..... Almost dissapeared for another 2 weeks until I checked this thread and found this wonderful news from other players that something was actually tweaked!

Reinstalling now to see if it was the cockpit screenshake that was making me sick or the crosshair shake which I read is still there, but my first guess is that its still going to be the crosshairs.

I shall report my findings.

Edit install/download is slow for somereason gonna be a while

WB dude, ya, i thought it was the screen shake but the reticle kinda screews my eyes also. Not sure f it was always the reticle making me feel bad or the shake or both ..... its way better and i can deffinatly jj to move around but i think im still going to master the raven to replace my jenner.

Edit: actually it aint all that bad with lights, so yay to that.

Edited by sgt scout, 02 July 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#1202 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

View PostLastPaladin, on 02 July 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

Yes, there are legitimate cases where something is OP and unbalancing the game, and the poptarts could be an example of that. However, there are other cases, like a dual AC/20 build, where you have to make so many sacrfices already in your mech build, that any specialized advantage you gain is already balanced by the general disadvantages you incur.

If there is a tradeoff (such as the AC40), there is some balance and it is not "OP". It is when there is no real tradeoff, as in jumpsnipe poptarting, it is truly OP. The empirical way to tell is play 25 games and write down what mechs and weapons were used. People will gravitate to an OP meta. You saw the inverse of this when the JJ shake got inserted...a spreading out of types of mechs, playstyles and weapons (to some extent...PPC and Gauss are still too prevalent...but fixing convergence should mitigate this).

#1203 Tegiminis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNot In MWO

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

I like how a bunch of people lied about getting motion sick and got a legitimate and vital feature removed from the game.

Good job guys. Your outright fabrications did it! You're the champion of the world; your falsehoods have caused actual change. Now lie about more things and get PGI to completely destroy their game!

#1204 Aggressor666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 158 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

View PostTegiminis, on 02 July 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

I like how a bunch of people lied about getting motion sick and got a legitimate and vital feature removed from the game.

Good job guys. Your outright fabrications did it! You're the champion of the world; your falsehoods have caused actual change. Now lie about more things and get PGI to completely destroy their game!

wow clueless much?

#1205 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

does anyone know if it is different per weight class?

#1206 Ilithi Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 475 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWazan

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostAggressor666, on 02 July 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

wow clueless much?

Protip: Don't feed the trolls.

#1207 sgt scout

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

its very different per weight class yes, lights are pritty dam good again, you shouldnt realy feel any strain when using a light.

The shake on assults is way more tollerable also, but as you said in an earlier post i think the reticle adds to the nausea and to be fair to PGI trying to address this whole issue, i never even realised it was a factor.

Someone posted way back an idea of the reticles getting larger as you jj and the shot being randomised within the area. This sound good to me.

#1208 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

So wait. No trolling please, was there an actual change to JJ's in this patch?

Is it worth testing again now? Should I look into putting JJ's back on some of my mechs?

Finally, was there specifically any change in the reticle / random hit allocation on light mechs, or is this still the same as before. I don't care about screen shake so much (although a reduction would be good). I do care if my Spiders / Jenners can now actually hit what they aim at again. If reticle shake is still in, will probably leave JJ's off still.

#1209 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostAggressor666, on 02 July 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

wow clueless much?

Nah, he's just a jackass.

#1210 StandingCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostArcturious, on 02 July 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Is it worth testing again now? Should I look into putting JJ's back on some of my mechs?

Finally, was there specifically any change in the reticle / random hit allocation on light mechs, or is this still the same as before. I don't care about screen shake so much (although a reduction would be good). I do care if my Spiders / Jenners can now actually hit what they aim at again. If reticle shake is still in, will probably leave JJ's off still.

Yes, your cockpit doesn't shake, just your reticle does now.

#1211 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostArcturious, on 02 July 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Reticule shake, and random shot when under thrust, still. Screen-shake pretty much gone, on lights.

#1212 Ilithi Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 475 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWazan

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

It's pretty much gone on assaults, too, though the reticule bounces around quite a bit. It's annoying, but an insignificant hindrance for poptarts, though brawlers will feel it more, because they won't be able to wait until they release their JJs to fire as much as poptarts.

#1213 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

I am absolutely thrilled to say that I am happily playing my Spider tonight.

While my preference would be zero screen shake, the reduction has been sufficient enough that the mechs I tend to jump a lot in (Spider, Jenner, Blackjack) give me little to no trouble at all (a TINY bit from the slightly elevated shake in the larger Blackjacks, but not debilitating in the way it was before.), and the mechs I jump a bit less in (Raven, Cataphract) have become manageable for the amount of time I spend mid-air in them (which is very little).

All in all, this is a much better middle ground, though I feel for the folks who find the reticle giving them issues. So far it has not been a problem for me, since the terrain-view shake was I think the source of my personal nausea, and that's been all but removed in the mechs that I own.

Shake:weight ratios are hopefully enough to balance light pilots who were having issues (like myself) with the idea of curbing poptarting (and yes, I suppose I did just say "shakeweight" ;) ).

Thank you PGI. I know that tweaking and adjusting are an ongoing process, and I don't envy the task of trying to balance the needs/wants of the many/few.

Now, back to my Spiders!

WOOHOO!!!

#1214 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

We'll have to give it time but I don't see a mass return to Highlander-Whack-A-Mole-OnlineTM . Based on the matches I have played so far I am giving this change a tentative thumbs up.

#1215 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

So after playing for a while I can say that im not feeling any kind of nausea when driving around a jenner/spider/raven4x like a madman shooting my laser weaponry in the air now that the insane screenshake has been basically removed from light mechs when jumpjetting.

The crosshair shake dosnt seem to be a problem now but I still think it was a combination of the shaking from the crosshairs and the cockpit at the same time that was causing the problems, and I would take a guess and say that if the crosshair shake was removed instead and the cockpit shake remained I would be saying the same thing.

Now it still seems the same for my 4LL LRM highlander as the cockpit shake + crosshair shake still seems to do my eyes in, but hey I 100% AGREE with larger mechs having more of a penalty with the jumpjeting just do it in another way

Its still a bummer that the larger assault/heavy mechs still affect me and the jumpjetting mediums are still up for debate for myself (its kinda borderline) but If pgi wants this mechanic and wont change it then thats the way it has to be to keep the peace around this community.

Atleast I got my jumpjetting lights back, I guess it just means no jumpjetting highlanders/victors/quickdraws and so on for me. Although I still think a widening of the crosshairs when moving to show the larger cone of fire is still a better way to go and would solve all the killthepoptart/nausea/ppc/MASCsprinting problems.

tldr

10/10 for fixing the jumpjeting lights
0/10 for having to find this out in this thread and not in the patch notes .... >.>

#1216 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

I still would vastly prefer an expanding reticule, the reticule shake drives me crazy and does nothing visually to gauge how the shot will miss, or in what cone.

I MISS the cockpit shake. I would LOVE an option ingame to turn this ON or OFF as a graphics option. I LOVED the immersion of that feature.

#1217 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 02 July 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

I still would vastly prefer an expanding reticule, the reticule shake drives me crazy and does nothing visually to gauge how the shot will miss, or in what cone.

I MISS the cockpit shake. I would LOVE an option ingame to turn this ON or OFF as a graphics option. I LOVED the immersion of that feature.

I think a expanding reticule for the expanding cone of fire and a "turn on the screenshake" option would be the best possible solution for everyone aka the poptart haters, the light mech lovers, the nausea sufferers and the immersion lovers.

Edited by MonkeyCheese, 02 July 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#1218 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:35 AM

I don't think they can implement any expanding reticles before their hud update after launch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users