Post Jj Nerf Poptart Film

81 replies to this topic

#1 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

Sauce - Episode 11 (Victor fights Clan Invasion, spectates Soy)

Skip to 8:00 in (or click the external link). Everything I ever wanted to say about the changes in the patch is in the footage.

The stuff before 8 mins is, well, it's fan fiction. I hope you enjoy, but more importantly (and why I also posted this in Game Balance) I hope you see what it's actually like poptarting after the patch.

Comments and criticism welcome.

All footage was shot on June 4th, day1 of the patch.

#2 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

looks like you're handling it well, but even you miss a few shots and this tells me the JJ nerf may well be working.

#3 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

Certainly gives the people complaining that jumping and firing has been ruined, something to chew on for a while.

-------------
Incidentally- can't wait for PPCs to get fixed.

#4 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 05 June 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

Certainly gives the people complaining that jumping and firing has been ruined, something to chew on for a while.

-------------
Incidentally- can't wait for PPCs to get fixed.

Except that mechs that usually fire while using jumpjets, like the Jenner or Spider, are affected, while poptarts are not. Just evidence that they nerfed the wrong mechs.

#5 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

Insightful observation Sable...

#6 Hammertrial

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostSable Dove, on 05 June 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

Except that mechs that usually fire while using jumpjets, like the Jenner or Spider, are affected, while poptarts are not. Just evidence that they nerfed the wrong mechs.

Except it hasn't effected Jenners at all because within 270m if you miss you're just terrible at aiming.

I've had ZERO issues with new JJs

#7 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

Jump-sniping still works when the sniper is awesome at the game?

I'm cool with that.

I just hope to god I never drop against Soy . . .

#8 Gelion

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSex Dungeon

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

Except a Jenner would not be firing beyond 270m at a mech while in the air, and I am finding no problem to hit a mech within it, while using jj or on the fall.

Edit: Jenner'ed

Edited by Gelion, 05 June 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#9 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

Now Starring Inner Sphere #12156 Generic pilot Soy!

#10 Damocles69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 888 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostChavette, on 05 June 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

Now Starring Inner Sphere #12156 Generic pilot Soy!

your a {Richard Cameron}

#11 Soy

• 3,689 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

Chavette in '16

ps - Inrev thanks, I'm just a normal player like you or anyone else just tryin to have fun

Edited by Soy, 05 June 2013 - 05:58 PM.

#12 IronChance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

Large laser JJ builds are hurt a lot by the JJ nerf, but I won't cry about it. I promised myself I wouldn't cry. I... (SNIFF)...

#13 t9nv3

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

JJ shots are pretty accurate within 300m. This is how it should work. Jump shots were never a problem, 1000m jump sniping was. That's all that people lost.

#14 merz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

the main issue i'm having with the jump change is not the reduced accuracy so much as the cockpit shake itself, it gives a terrible headache to anyone using them for prolonged periods of time, whether they are shooting or not. I'd like to see the overall cockpit rattle reduced a bit to make the jumping experience less physically debilitating to the player, with reduced accuracy being less of an issue for me.

With Koreanese having apparently quit, the player you're seeing in this video is one of the more talented from what the community has to offer in its present state. So the degree of accuracy and performance you can expect from an average player using such tactics is considerably, uh, less..

Edited by merz, 05 June 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#15 skullman86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

Good stuff

I think the shake is a little excessive, but I'll take the gameplay in the video over what we had before the patch. The shake pretty much forces everyone to engage targets at brawling ranges, and high alpha jump shooting will become even trickier when they add more heat penalties.

Edited by skullman86, 06 June 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#16 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

I noticed you were still delivering relatively well placed shots at around 300m and still hitting a mech up to 500m, perhaps not consistently in the same spot over and over, and you missed every now and then, which is all well and good and tells me the patch is working. It wasn't so much these ranger that were the problem but shooting from 650 to 1000m out and constantly hitting the same spots over and over again which was absurd and ridiculous.

My evaluation... Working as intended.

Possible refinement tweaks:
Slightly reduce cockpit shake a little and make it so the reticle shake lasts a little longer after letting go of space bar would make the new JJ mechanic PERFECT.

Edited by Coralld, 05 June 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#17 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

Great video, and fun to watch! Although, it probably really should be two videos (the fanfic stuff, and the JJ stuff).

Some things to point out though:

- This is not what I would call pop-tarting. What I identify as pop-tarting is when someone holds the same position and just JJ's in place. In this video, you always seem to have some sort of forward or even lateral motion. I think these types of moves still take some skill to pull off and are pretty legit. Not cheeseball 'OMG NERF!!!".
- The JJ nerf... I honestly don't know who would fire weapons while jetting up, even before the nerf. If you were going to pop-tart, wouldn't you wait until the apex of your jump (after letting go of your jets) so you have a brief moment of stability to aim anyway?

I believe the problem with jump jets and pop-tarting is not something this "fix" addresses. The problem lies within the concept of how Pirahna has designed these jets to work to begin with. What is described as flight via an explosive force catapulting these heavy machines through the air is being represented in this game as a hot-air balloon ride... slow launch, and slow travel (or even no travel at all, just straight up and down). Now it's a hot air balloon where the basket shakes whenever you pull the throttle.

(here's a proposal I made a long time ago detailing an alternate jump jet mechanic)

Edited by DirePhoenix, 05 June 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#18 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

It is definitely a lot harder to jump snipe now, but not impossible. You just have to concentrate a bit more now. I think I can adjust.

Ironically, I swapped the 3 LLs on my HM for 2 PPCs because it's actually easier to shoot PPCs with the screen/reticle shake than it is to shoot lasers. LOL!

#19 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

You're not hiding behind rocks at 600+ meters.
You miss a lot of clearly critical shots.
You're following your dudes as a support unit.
All of these guys could easily shoot you back now.

It's working just fine.

#20 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:41 AM

well done Soy

way to cut through the thick layer of BS that has collected on this subject.

my jenner runs just fine with it's ERPPC. i have no issues hitting targets when i am flying around.

Edited by blinkin, 06 June 2013 - 12:41 AM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users