79 replies to this topic

#21 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

had to wait for just the right match to take a pic of, but this is Jenner done right.... and profitable :D
make sure all of the enemy team get some of your sweet sweet Jenner love and kill assists will fill your wallet :(. go for component destruction whenever you can. this one wasn't my highest number blown off, but turned out to be the most cash.

http://cloud-2.steam...7AB2FEA40B573F/

i guess i just find managing my screenies on steam lol.
and that way anyone i know on steam sees me on and then i can get some more people playing!

#22 G4M3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

I use 6 med pulses in my Jenner F, but then again I am just crazy.

#23 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

hey 6 med pulses can dish out some serious damage if you're feeling that crazy. you just have to keep a close eye on your heat. that's like 6 more tons of weight tho. i opted for more speed and armor. :D

#24 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Another vote for the hexa laser builds. JR7-F with six mediums was the first mech I mastered. Handily teaches you heat management.

#25 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 16 June 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

I disagree. I run my -F with 6 mediums and I'm pretty good at managing the heat. Cool shot is essential though.

I run my F with 6 mediums and no cool shot (I'm just kind of generally opposed to consumables). I do have half the lasers on my second fire group though and switch to using half when I need to.

The only time I get caught is when the ''heat critical'' warning fails to be delivered. Have you ever noticed that sometimes the warning is not played when it should be? I should report that bug to support actually.

#26 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

yeah my JR7-F with 6 meds is usually running at 80% heat alot of the time. although i should mention if you get the elite efficiencies unlocked, you'll have that nice x2 bonus on the Coolrun and Heat Containment basic efficiencies. which helps some

#27 Delas Ting Usee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 548 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

There a reason why Jenners are feared.
They are difficult to master and pilot well.
Hence only really good pilots use them - to great effect.
I've learned to have a very healthy respect for them in whatever mech I'm piloting.

#28 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

Full disclosure: Since the recent patches I've run it with 3ML & 3SPL, or 5ML and both have been pretty effective too. Right now I think I'm actually favoring the 5ML build - it's nice to be able to use that tonne elsewhere, the heat is substantially better, and I'm still doing the amount of damage I would generally do with the 6ML build.

#29 OrbitalDK

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 30 June 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Full disclosure: Since the recent patches I've run it with 3ML & 3SPL, or 5ML and both have been pretty effective too. Right now I think I'm actually favoring the 5ML build - it's nice to be able to use that tonne elsewhere, the heat is substantially better, and I'm still doing the amount of damage I would generally do with the 6ML build.

I've thought about switching to 5ml myself. Ill probably do that tonight.

Did you drop in another heatsink or put it toward something else?

#30 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

I have 14 total DHS. I also use an AMS with 1 ton of ammo, since LRMs aren't completely useless any more. It comes in handy when something with Streaks gets on you (even if it only shoots down 1 streak per salvo fired, it helps) and it's also nice to mitigate damage when you're trying to close distance with an LRM boat to harass it and draw its fire off of your teammates. Plus it's just generally helpful to a team to have as many AMSs as possible, as multiple systems can take out a substantial number of incoming LRMS.

Edited by DEMAX51, 03 July 2013 - 11:18 AM.

#31 Shepherd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

Gotta love the Jenner!

I generally run my JR7-F with 6 medium lasers. It sure is hot, but if you dash in, fire two or three times, then dash off, you can give yourself the time to cool off that you need. if you absolutely must fight and can't disengage to cool, then grouping your lasers into two groups of 3 and then firing only one group works. I don't like chain firing because it dilutes your damage over time way too much, and you need to be getting back into cover too often for that.

I've currently got two large lasers on my JR7-F. It allows you to harass from much farther away, which is really nice. Runs pretty cool, too. MWO mechlab shows 1.6 heat efficiency. I haven't tried it with ER larges yet but MWO mechlab shows that as 1.3 heat efficiency which is fine for such a long range build.

#32 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

yah know, 2 Larges on a Jenner sounds nuts enough to try one of these days :)

#33 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

I've tried it. The heat efficiency is really really high and the range is nice, but your DPS is terrible. And if you get into a dogfight with a capable Light, you're going to get owned.

#34 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

trigger grouping plays a large part in heat management. In my experience of course. I'm sure we've got some players who can multitask all six trigger groups effectively but I personally start to bork 'em up if I go past three. I realized this after buying this new fangledy mouse with all the buttons and the DPS that was so high blinking too hard would throw your aim off (Corsair M90, turned the snitch down to a resolution probably on par with the cheap office mouse it replaced... oh well, has pretty lights at least).

For the JR-7F, two medium lasers to the first trigger and four to the second suit me the best. You can alpha with both (or set your alpha to your third trigger), trim down to 2 or 4 when the situation and heat curve warrant.

#35 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Nicely put. I think I may give Jenners a go instead of the expensive Atlas route.

#36 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

I just started 3 days ago, I picked the Jenner in ignorance. Now that I'm getting better with it I absolutely don't see how I'll ever adjust to a heavy or assault class, my Jenner-D KDR is 2.33, when I started in the K it was 0.18 in 63 matches lol. the XL 280 is a solid engine, perhaps not the end-all but good enough when tweaked (almost there!). I don't have the JJ turn+fire thing down yet, but I'm ok at escaping with them. I don't have a set build yet, but minimum 2 jumpjets is required, I honestly don't mind the small pulse lasers at all, and AMS is not as essential as I first thought, I can live without it honestly. On the D, I use 4 of those (SPL) and 2 SRM4s and I can run around and hurt things pretty well as long as I'm accurate, heat of 1.3 I have no problems unless I get greedy. Haven't tried streaks yet but people say they are good, next is to try med pulse lasers but I don't know how I'll have enough tonnage and still get 2 SSRM4s or streaks (maybe SSRM 6 then?) I find lights hard to hit with medlasers, I just sweep them all over too much and it takes forever to finish them off, but pulses make it a tad easier. I rushed with the F to get to the D and never bothered with anything but 6 medlasers cause I didn't feel like spending money. So heres another tip: If you have coolshot, don't be like me and FORGET to use it. I do it all the time, its annoying.

EDIT: on the D build, I like firing all my lasers, then putting my SRMs on chain fire so I can time out an even delay between 2 accurate missile volleys and then immediately fire my lasers again. But if the enemy is straight in front of you its best to just smack em with all missiles at once.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 11 July 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#37 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

I've been running my Jenner-F with 6 SPL. You have to remember that you are a knife fighter, and need to get in close, but the damage is quick and the cooldown time alows for a fairly rapid rate of fire. Get in, get a shot or two, and get out. Lots of fun.

#38 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

The 6 small pulse build can be incredibly effective. I still prefer the 5 medium laser build because I really like the added range (once a brawl starts, I can stay on the outskirts and fire at will from ~300m for some pretty heavy pinpoint damage), but the small pulses fire fast enough and generate so little heat they can be very powerful in close range.

#39 J I N

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

I tried alle three jenner snow for getting Basics and this one seems to be the most effectiv:
JR7-D
With an alpha of 36 hit and run is pretty easy, only problem are the missing JJs, but I learned to play without them.
Sometimes I start sniping withe the MLs from 400+m to get my kills which works pretty well too.. the only thing I don't understand is, that no Viktor was able to face me up to now... every other mech kills me from time to time, but none of them O_o

The F with 6 ML seems to be the easiest build for Jenner starters... but the D is the real fun for me :ph34r:

#40 Blalok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostScrotacus 42, on 11 July 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

*Snip* Haven't tried streaks yet...

My D with 4-ML, 2-SSRM2 had been getting the most damage per match of my Jenners. And with my current accuracy stats on the SRM6 (or lack thereof), a single SSRM2 puts out a half point more damage per 10 seconds (at a lower weight); two beat a single SRM6 hands down.

On the other hand, I've run into ECM trouble with that build, which is why I returned to a 6-ML layout with groups 1 & 2 consisting of left-right group fire & group 6 all MLs on chain. This way it's a quick flip of the arrow key to make my LMB switch from group to chain, since those keys are easier to find than my backspace. I tried the TAG on group 2 and as an always-on, and while the spotting bonuses were nice, they weren't as satisfying as the extra damage of another ML.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users