79 replies to this topic

#41 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostBlalok, on 24 July 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

My D with 4-ML, 2-SSRM2 had been getting the most damage per match of my Jenners. And with my current accuracy stats on the SRM6 (or lack thereof), a single SSRM2 puts out a half point more damage per 10 seconds (at a lower weight); two beat a single SRM6 hands down.

You really shouldn't use an SRM6 on a Jenner, as there are only 4 missile tubes and the SRM6 fires in two bursts (first four missiles and then the last two a fraction of a second later). You're basically throwing away two missiles every time you fire, or you're leaving yourself vulnerable to return fire by having to keep your front aimed at your enemy longer to get those last two missiles to hit.

Two SRM4s work much better as all 8 missiles fire at the same time.

Edited by DEMAX51, 24 July 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#42 Gelion

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSex Dungeon

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

I do love my Jenner, and a simple trick which no one has yet mentioned is to put other mechs between you and mechs shooting you. Now this would preferably be enemy mechs and would normally occur at the latter stages of a skirmish. Firstly, there will be the initial stages where you have to hit and run, picking your targets and making sure not to get caught in the open. Afterwards, there will be about 2-3 enemy mechs vs 2-3 ally mechs theoretically speaking, therefore, the enemy are not all going to aiming at you, as there will be other allied mechs to shoot at. Simple thing is to see who is and is not firing at you, and put the one who isn't between you and the one who is as a Jenner is small and this is relatively easy to do. This gives the light pilot crucial time to consider options, and have the enemy mech close in on you, meaning less time for you to be in his crosshairs.

If you can do this well, you will be respected among others as a good Jenner pilot. Also with the 6ml build, just weapon group one arm on one button and the other arm on another (left, right mouse buttons), makes it really easy to alpha, shoot corners and also heat management.

Main thing about the 6ml Jenner is that it is not built for light v light, it is far more effective against larger mechs, where you can out-maneuvre and do pinpoint alpha strikes.

#43 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Dear Jenner pilots:
Stop using a STD 100 because you want to put 2 PPCs on your light mech. Thank you.

#44 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostGelion, on 24 July 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

Main thing about the 6ml Jenner is that it is not built for light v light, it is far more effective against larger mechs, where you can out-maneuvre and do pinpoint alpha strikes.

Yes and no. While the -F is very effective against bigger baddies, if you're good at holding the lasers on target the -F can still be a pretty effective light killer. I haven't used Streaks since they altered the targeting system for them, but I'd argue that a good -F pilot could beat a -D with streaks (or a Raven-3L with streaks for that matter) a pretty good portion of the time. And, considering the Spider's wonky hitboxes as well as the overall errant hit-detection for SRMs against small 'Mechs, the -F is the only 'Mech I'd want to be in if I were up against a Spider 1v1.

You do make an excellent point about using enemy 'Mechs as a meat-shield though, although stopping your 'Mech once you're in that position is still generally inadvisable. I remember one game I played back in closed beta where I was the last man standing in my Jenner against two enemy Atlases - I got one of them to team-kill the other by keeping him between us, and then I was free to rip apart the last one at my leisure.

Edited by DEMAX51, 24 July 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#45 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

Nothing more fun in my Jenner than getting behind the other team and keeping someone locked for lrm's who can't understand why they're still getting hit, plus I'm shooting them in the back every time the missiles hit so they don't notice.

#46 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

hrrmm.. good point on using the enemy mechs as shields... i'd hate to admit it, but i've been guilty of tagging a teammate with my Atlas while trying to shoot an enemy light that was running all over us.

although most Lights leave my Atlas alone once they find out i can hit them with an AC/20 shot. :D

which is also good to keep in mind too, for as many times i can completely school an assault mech with a Jenner, you will occasionally run into that guy that knows exactly how to deal with you and is a good enough shot to do so.
case in point, there was one match i think it was me in my nearly full health Atlas and another guy on my team was torn up enough to not be of much use. 2 Jenners on the enemy team thought they'd gang up on me... the big slow target. counter measures to light mechs engaged :angry:: keep yer back to a wall; check. blow out the cockpit of the first jenny with an AC/20; check. leg they other one and finish it off; check.

while i enjoy my Jenner, i've always been an Atlas beast at heart haha

during the time i played the hell out of my Jenner, i learned their ins and outs pretty well enough to effectively defend myself from their annoying... annoying mosquito bites lol

#47 BigJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 24 July 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

Yes and no. While the -F is very effective against bigger baddies, if you're good at holding the lasers on target the -F can still be a pretty effective light killer. I haven't used Streaks since they altered the targeting system for them, but I'd argue that a good -F pilot could beat a -D with streaks (or a Raven-3L with streaks for that matter) a pretty good portion of the time. And, considering the Spider's wonky hitboxes as well as the overall errant hit-detection for SRMs against small 'Mechs, the -F is the only 'Mech I'd want to be in if I were up against a Spider 1v1.

Nearly all the time, since streaks were changed to hit all bodyparts, I'd take a Jenner-F over a 'D or Raven any day of the week for a 1v1.

The F can choose to put all it's damage on the same part of the enemy Light, whereas those streaks will shoot off to random parts, doing an impressive 1.5dmg per time..

Plus the 'D build has to spend tonnage on ammo and BAP (if not BAP then no point taking lock-weapons), so has to sacrifice heatsinks to such an extent it does not have the heat-stamina to keep up with the F's rate of fire.
(note; I use a 5x Med-Las Jenner, with the 6th medium swapped for a 15th double heatsink)

Streaks are still good vs spiders though, lock-on weapons are the only thing in the game that reliably deal damage to broken spiders and for this reason I still run my regular Jenn-D with BAP & Streaks, the Spider is annoying, but just chase him & spam those streaks all day, and just toss-in a laser shot as your heat allows.

If you're any good in a Light the Spider can't keep up the same DPS even with your streaks hitting random bodyparts and will have to turn tail & run.

With the game as it is now, Streak Jenners and Raven 3Ls need to make Spiders their #1 priority, that is now their main function, Spider control.

Perversely, the Jenn-F is worse vs Spiders than the Streak/BAP armed 'D, but that's due to bugs with the Spider as a chassis, not about the Jenner itself.
In a 1v1 though, with equally skilled pilots, the Jenner-F ought to be winning more than he loses, but it takes a f**king age to whittle down a spider when only 30-50% of the damage you deal is applied to the target, and in a real match it's often not worth spending the majority of the match taking down one spider just to find your entire team has died, leaving you fighting 7v1.. :D

Edited by BigJim, 27 July 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#48 Gelion

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSex Dungeon

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

I know what you people mean with if you are accurate you can hit energy weapons on lights, but personally being in Australia around the 300 ping HSR margin, although it has been improving, I would take a fight with an atlas over another light, especially with pre-nerf streaks any day of the week. As to standing still, it really is pick your meat shield carefully, far better to have one with torso srm's than an arm ac/20, and never do it at the start of the fight when most mechs are still nice and shiny. I always like to think in a Jenner the closer you are to danger, the further you are from harm.

#49 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

Holy crap, Jenners are tough to pilot. It's weird, I was pretty successful in my X-5, but not so much in my Jenner.

#50 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostNRP, on 28 July 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

Holy crap, Jenners are tough to pilot. It's weird, I was pretty successful in my X-5, but not so much in my Jenner.

if you're having issues with maybe "dieing too fast". if you are running in first to scout. switch it up there and hang back at first then run in to harass in a fight already in progress. if there are some friendly assaults around you may not get focused on first. if you get another light riding up your rear, run back to your guys and get some back up.

until you get better at accurate shots at high speeds do that get some practice ;)
NEVER overheat. its not worth one more shot if you are gonna be dead in the water for a few seconds. it's better to not be shooting and dodging than to be not be shooting and not moving.

Edited by Leded, 28 July 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#51 phaloxian

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

"Popped 6 Med Lasers, Endo Steel, 15 DBL Heatsinks, XL 270 Engine and maxed armor." Why not do all of that but improve with armor? That's what I am going to do, the XL 270 Engine's heatsinks plus the extra weight I will have free leaves me with enough room for heat sinks...that's my build, hopefully my calculations are right ^-^, I might just buy another JR7-F and do this build too, see what I like more because I am good at conserving heat and every time I play a match I get just a little better...so, we'll see ^-^ MEW!

Edited by phaloxian, 07 August 2013 - 03:17 PM.

#52 UnwantedProblem

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

I preffer a XL300 on the 6ML JR7-F, because you can have 1 extra heatsink you'd not have if you got a XL295 or slower.

I know I don't have max armor, but, I have more heatsinks, so I can fire "more" often, it's said that the best deffense is a good offense.

#53 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostRagnar Darkmane, on 24 July 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

Dear Jenner pilots:
Stop using a STD 100 because you want to put 2 PPCs on your light mech. Thank you.

You can fit them quite nicely with a 255XL amazingly. Not sure I'd want to, but you can. Might be able to drop something larger in there with a little less armor (.25 tons from the stock F in FF)

#54 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

I prefer 4 ML 2 SL in my F. The SLs help with heat management at close range, while doing only slightly less damage than an ML. Plus, they cycle fast so if heat reaches near max, you can simply use them till you cool off.

#55 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

Dear Jenner pilots,

If you haven't already, get Sarah's Jenner. It counts as a Jenner D. Comes with a 300xl engine. Well heck has all upgrades already installed including BAP. You will have to find room to reinstall jump jets. And its own mech bay, so you don't have to buy another if you are full up.

You can switch out the engine to your other Jenners when you try to level them up.

Note: This is time sensitive. As of the date of this post you only have 4 more days. Then your chance to get this mech is gone for good.

#56 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostJohnny Marek Summers, on 16 August 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

Dear Jenner pilots,

If you haven't already, get Sarah's Jenner. It counts as a Jenner D. Comes with a 300xl engine. Well heck has all upgrades already installed including BAP. You will have to find room to reinstall jump jets. And its own mech bay, so you don't have to buy another if you are full up.

You can switch out the engine to your other Jenners when you try to level them up.

Note: This is time sensitive. As of the date of this post you only have 4 more days. Then your chance to get this mech is gone for good.

yes Johnny, lure more players into owning sarah. :lol: not only is it for a good cause, the number of unskilled pilots suddenly showing up in the cute teddy bears are deliciously easy to farm.

#57 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts
  • LocationA fortified bunker in the mojave desert.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostBigJim, on 27 July 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

Perversely, the Jenn-F is worse vs Spiders than the Streak/BAP armed 'D, but that's due to bugs with the Spider as a chassis, not about the Jenner itself.
In a 1v1 though, with equally skilled pilots, the Jenner-F ought to be winning more than he loses, but it takes a f**king age to whittle down a spider when only 30-50% of the damage you deal is applied to the target, and in a real match it's often not worth spending the majority of the match taking down one spider just to find your entire team has died, leaving you fighting 7v1.. :P

I run an F, and this has been my experience. Whenever there is a spider, I normally just try to run it out of the friendly blob instead of going for the kill; it seems like my time is much better spent shooting bigger mechs in the back and causing general havoc.

#58 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostLeded, on 28 July 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

if you're having issues with maybe "dieing too fast". if you are running in first to scout. switch it up there and hang back at first then run in to harass in a fight already in progress. if there are some friendly assaults around you may not get focused on first. if you get another light riding up your rear, run back to your guys and get some back up.

until you get better at accurate shots at high speeds do that get some practice :rolleyes:
NEVER overheat. its not worth one more shot if you are gonna be dead in the water for a few seconds. it's better to not be shooting and dodging than to be not be shooting and not moving.

You don't need max armor on a Jenner whatsoever - you can easily take a substantial amount off of the arms and head, with little consequence. That's extra weight that can be spent upgrading to an XL 295 or 300, and the increased speed is worth much more protection than max armor.

#59 Fatebringer

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

I got Sarah's Jenner the other day. It has been fun, one trick I like to do is when I know it's a Base Cap mission, I get up a little ways and find a nook to hide in and then shut down for a bit so I'm not tempted to get out there too early. Then when the battles good and going, I power up again and get to work. I do this because there have been too many times where I went out to spot, saw someone right in front of me, tried to run away and ran into another pack of bad guys and got killed very early. When i wait to engage as a striker, I'm not the priority target because people know I'm going to be hard to hit and if someones engaged in a slugmatch, they usually want to finish their current target off before giving up a good sight picture. That's just my 2 Kerenskies.

#60 XANi

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

Outside of inital capping on conquest try to never be more than sector away from your teammates. Then even if you get ambushed by 3 other lights you probably will be able to get back to your team and save your bacon.

Also, LRM travel time will be short enougth that in worst case at least you will get some air support.

That and general "engaging too early" were my common causes of death when I started running lights.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users