Dear, New Jenner Pilots

79 replies to this topic

#61 Whiteagle

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

View PostLeded, on 14 June 2013 - 01:19 AM, said:

And remember, the more obscenities the other team yells at you during the match just means you are a good Jenner pilot.

Ah, so that one match where it was me and the two remaining Enemy Atlases was a good one then!

View PostRuzzBot, on 14 June 2013 - 05:46 AM, said:

Seismic has 200 or 400m range. And while it's annoying, it goes both ways. my jenner has the module too, so no running accidentally into atlases ;). I usually stay 200-300 m away anyway unless I see an isolated target, so seismic is less of a problem.

Indeed, it's generally usefulness is probably why I'm going to get it over the Advance Targeting Mods...

View PostLeded, on 15 June 2013 - 01:19 AM, said:

ok i wanted to add, i was just fooling around today with my JR7-D and i jokingly would call it my "Minipult" a pair of LRM5s and 4 Medium Lasers lol. oddly enough it didnt work too bad. can pepper them at long range with the LRMs and you're fast enough to not be subject to return PPC or Autocannon fire. :P

Speaking of LRM Jenners, how's the build I'm working towards for my K look?
I'm not much of a knife fighter, so I like to slink around and rain a few surprise missiles on the other team.
Light Lasers for self defense and Targets of Opportunity, and TAGs to light up enemy movements...

...I know I don't need two of them, but I've got a SYMMETRY thing that forced me to spurge for the K in the first place, plus they're perfect placeholders for Light Pulse Lasers.

#62 Leadpaintchips

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

as a new Jenner pilot, here's some advice I have on spending C-bills:

1) Buy the double heat sinks first. Oh jeeze, is this important. you will notice a HUGE drop in your heat once you do this, and Jenners are all about that heat.

2) Save up for that crazy expensive engine. I didn't and god, am I regretting it. You are slightly faster than those mechs that WILL eat you up with the standard engine that comes in the out of box Jenner, but you do need to be a LOT faster in order to pull of the hijinks that you need to do in order to survive.

3) The ML that come with your Jenner you can live with for a LONG time. A lot of builds actually have these in them, so don't get rid of them, and learn the range on them.

Once you get those first two down, then you can start tweaking with everything else, cause if you don't have that Cooldown and the speed, you are easy money for the opposing team, which is never a good thing.

#63 Atillius

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts
  • LocationOn my couch in my underwear

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Excellant stuff! +1 to Everyone

#64 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:24 AM

Like others have said, I have 6 mlas on my F. I have 3 weapon groups. 1 & 2 have three lasers each set up on alpha, and 3 has all lasers set to chain fire. It makes it very easy to either do a 36 point strike to the back of an enemy or switch it up if the heat is getting a bit much. I'm not that much of a fan of cool shots, so I tend to take Cap Accel, sensor range and seismic. I find them especially important in a light without the benefit of ECM.

#65 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts
  • Locationstill remains a mistery.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

Jenners are with NO DOUBT the most dangerous light mech out there.

Haters gon' hate but is true.

#66 Speedbump86

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:10 AM

whats a good max speed for a jenner? right now with an xl290 im getting around 134 with maxed out armor and 14 dbl heatsinks using 6 mlasers. is there any way to get a bit more speed without sacrificing cool down? also im using endo and ferrous

#67 Atillius

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts
  • LocationOn my couch in my underwear

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:49 AM

152 with the XL300 and Mastered. So far that's what I have gotten out of it. See Peefsmash's thread on it....it's hands down the best guide out there for Jenners, IMO. http://mwomercs.com/...nue-to-improve/

#68 PEEFsmash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostMutaroc, on 12 September 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Jenners are with NO DOUBT the most dangerous light mech out there.

Haters gon' hate but is true.

IDK what you mean by "dangerous" but the Raven is at least as good in competitive play due to ECM.

#69 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostSpeedbump86, on 22 September 2013 - 03:10 AM, said:

whats a good max speed for a jenner? right now with an xl290 im getting around 134 with maxed out armor and 14 dbl heatsinks using 6 mlasers. is there any way to get a bit more speed without sacrificing cool down? also im using endo and ferrous

If you don't at least have an XL280 in there, you're doing it wrong (IMHO).

Personally, I'd never go lighter than a XL300, but that's mostly because I rarely think the extra 1.5 tons is worth the 10 KPH dropoff.

#70 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 22 September 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

IDK what you mean by "dangerous" but the Raven is at least as good in competitive play due to ECM.

Useful, yes. Dangerous? Jenner is faster, and better armed (partially because it doesn't have to spare the ECM Tonnage).

#71 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostBront, on 22 September 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

Useful, yes. Dangerous? Jenner is faster, and better armed (partially because it doesn't have to spare the ECM Tonnage).

ECM Raven can blanket an make untargetable an entire group of mechs. That's danger.

#72 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Just let this be your guide:

#73 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 22 September 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

ECM Raven can blanket an make untargetable an entire group of mechs. That's danger.

That goes under useful, not dangerous. Dangerous would be the mechs it brought with it.

Semantics though :)

#74 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

i've thought about playing around with the Raven and/or Spider as a light, but... i dunno, i just prefer the firepower that the Jenner brings to the table. i really hate alot of the hardpoint set ups on the Spiders, the 5D seems to be the only real attractive one to me while the 5K is just plain revolting. machine guns seem to be your only options for the arms on that one, while 4 MGuns are "fun" they never seemed effective to me.

unless i can get any good advise for using the Raven or Spider i'll be sticking with a Jenner as my primary Light.

#75 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

Hows the 6 ML-Jenner faring with Ghost heat?

#76 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostJohn McFianna, on 25 September 2013 - 04:57 AM, said:

Hows the 6 ML-Jenner faring with Ghost heat?

Ghost heat does not kick in until you fire MORE than 6 MLs, so it doesn't really affect it at all. That said, I still prefer the build with 5ML.

Edited by DEMAX51, 25 September 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#77 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 25 September 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

Ghost heat does not kick in until you fire MORE than 6 MLs, so it doesn't really affect it at all. That said, I still prefer the build with 5ML.

so i'm pretty much safe if i have 6MLs on 2, 3 laser shot groups then. kinda call that the "one two punch" lol

#78 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

View PostLeded, on 26 September 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

so i'm pretty much safe if i have 6MLs on 2, 3 laser shot groups then. kinda call that the "one two punch" lol

You can alpha them and suffer no penalty.
5medlas is better if you are not in a serious 12v12 game. The burst is lower but the dps is higher so you can kill more stuff if it does not instantly explode before you get to a second shot.

#79 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostWispsy, on 27 September 2013 - 04:15 PM, said:

You can alpha them and suffer no penalty.
5medlas is better if you are not in a serious 12v12 game. The burst is lower but the dps is higher so you can kill more stuff if it does not instantly explode before you get to a second shot.

Some variation of this is right. Personally, I find myself fighting more and more lights but fewer and fewer bigs, so I like the higher DPS, lower burst lights even for competition. It depends on how you want to use the lights.

#80 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 27 September 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

Some variation of this is right. Personally, I find myself fighting more and more lights but fewer and fewer bigs, so I like the higher DPS, lower burst lights even for competition. It depends on how you want to use the lights.

True if you are only sent after lights.

However in my opinion this is still not the optimal use. Why send somebody in a mech with the exact same stats to deal with a light when other mechs can kill them much more quickly and easily. I mean trusting the skill of your pilots is all well and good but rarely do the best tactics involve getting yourself into a completely equal fight... :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users