Headspot Of Catapult Too Big?

233 replies to this topic

#1 Lachsi

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

Just curious about your experience, but killing a Catapult by shooting on it's huuuge head component is far too easy in my opinion.

#2 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

That is the mech's weakness. Catapult has always been meant as a support mech. Most heavies are meant to be support mechs. This is true in battletech, mechwarrior, and novels.
It is fine.

#3 tenderloving

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

It's probably not fragile enough to be honest. It's supposed to be a fire-support mech and not a brawler.

#4 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

Yes, yes.
The ability to be able to boat missiles has to be offset. That is why there is a giant head.

#5 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

Working as intended.

One of the reasons Jagers are more common than the K2 is that you can have all the same builds, but with a smaller chance of instant death.

View PostDarren Tyler, on 14 June 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

Yes, yes.
The ability to be able to boat missiles has to be offset. That is why there is a giant head.

And that is why people use the LRM Stalker to boat missiles.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 14 June 2013 - 07:46 AM.

#6 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

I feel like JagerMechs are over powered and need something to offset it.
Now I just remembered that they have a lack of armor, at least in lore.

#7 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

Yes, it's excessively big. Once upon a time, it was a fair balance change, but now that weapons mostly hit, you die to accidental headshots, no matter what you're doing, or what's shooting you.

This isn't a problem at all in a streakcat, but ruins the K2 and actual brawlers. They need to downsize it some, at least from the sides.

#8 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

Agreed. The Catapult has too big of a head hit-box located right where players shoot. HSR enables easy headshots from 600-700 meters. For me anyway and i use a joystick, so not the most accurate of controllers for headshots, though it's best for piloting.

#9 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

Again it is a support mech, not a armored brawler. Catapult is fine, you want a brawler? Get a Assault or medium mech.

#10 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

I use Catapults quite a bit (my favorite mech currently in the game), and I do not get head shot that often. I must have played about 20 games last night with various Cats (C1, K2, and A1) and did get head shot once.

It definently has higher odds (because I don't get head shot in ANY other mech), but it is far from a huge hinderance.

If you don't want to get head shot, keep moving. The only time I seem to loose my head, is when I am popping over cover (lining up a shot) to shoot PPCs or LLasers and I am looking straight at the target with no side-to-side movement.

Actually when I brawl (moving around, circling, and ducking in and out of cover), I almost never get head shot.

Basically, sniping can be dangerous with the Cat but actually mixing it up doesn't seem to be too bad.

P.S. People who say Cats like the C1 can't brawl, have never really tried. They just believe that for some reason. My 2+ KDR as a PUG with this mech says otherwise *shrug*

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 14 June 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#11 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

It is just right imo. Makes up for the stupidly large axel turn radius it has.

#12 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostLachsi, on 14 June 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

Just curious about your experience, but killing a Catapult by shooting on it's huuuge head component is far too easy in my opinion.

Welcome to MWO.

The issue isn' so much he size the hit box but its placement at center mass that makes it so popable.

#13 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

I personally feel it is a bit large. Last night I died three times in a row to alpha blasts in my Cat's face. My mechs dmg %? In the upper 80's or 90's every time.

#14 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostShadowVFX, on 14 June 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

I personally feel it is a bit large. Last night I died three times in a row to alpha blasts in my Cat's face. My mechs dmg %? In the upper 80's or 90's every time.

You must not be using it right. What is your loadout and what do you do with it? Tactics? Role?

#15 Stoicblitzer

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

maybe a little smaller to keep it in line with other mech head hitboxes. everyone here has good points.

#16 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

View PostDarren Tyler, on 14 June 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

You must not be using it right. What is your loadout and what do you do with it? Tactics? Role?

I'm tired of hearing this comment.

I've been using the Cat since I started MWO in July of last year. My Cat and I have evolved and adapted as the game has changed. At a 2.5 K/D and W/L, I'm not the best pilot ever, but don't patronize me like I'm "doing it wrong".

I regularly pilot Jagers, Phracts, STKs, and have experience in plenty of other chassis. NONE of them have headshot issues like the cats. This is not a QQ for change thread. The Cat's torso twist range is HUGE and the head hitbox is a valid counter to that.

Regardless, it is no fun to get taken out of the fight before it's even began. Personally, I think the hitbox could be shrunk by a very little bit to get just about right. I will continue to kick arse in my cat, but the 1/10 games (average) that I do get headshot while in practically mint condition are infuriating.

The Cat is just like all the other mechs; we have to look at whatever we want to shoot, too. With the high alpha builds that make up the current meta game, it's not "skill", it's just pure f*cking luck whether that 4 PPC alpha decides to hit CT or my head.

Edited by ShadowVFX, 14 June 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#17 ExtremeA79

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostShadowVFX, on 14 June 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

I'm tired of hearing this comment.

I've been using the Cat since I started MWO in July of last year. My Cat and I have evolved and adapted as the game has changed. At a 2.5 K/D and W/L, I'm not the best pilot ever, but don't patronize me like I'm "doing it wrong".

I regularly pilot Jagers, Phracts, STKs, and have experience in plenty of other chassis. NONE of them have headshot issues like the cats. This is not a QQ for change thread. The Cat's torso twist range is HUGE and the head hitbox is a valid counter to that.

Regardless, it is no fun to get taken out of the fight before it's even began. Personally, I think the hitbox could be shrunk by a very little bit to get just about right. I will continue to kick arse in my cat, but the 1/10 games (average) that I do get headshot while in practically mint condition are infuriating.

The Cat is just like all the other mechs; we have to look at whatever we want to shoot, too. With the high alpha builds that make up the current meta game, it's not "skill", it's just pure f*cking luck whether that 4 PPC alpha decides to hit CT or my head.

That did not answer my question. All mechs have their goods and bads. Catapult? Jumpjets, versatility, and the ability to boat LRM's. It is not a brawler, it is a support mech. If you are not using it as a support mech then that is why you are dying.

#18 Aaron45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostLachsi, on 14 June 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

ofc it is. Need to be fixed

#19 Odnir

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

If they ever do decide to adjust it, I want them to add a new Challenge before they do:

Kill 5 mechs via cockpit destruction.

#20 Lil Cthulhu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 554 posts
  • LocationR'lyeh

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Catapults are support mechs, Stalkers are support mechs, Jagermechs are support mechs.... do I need to continue?

None of those have the same asininely sized head hit box. If you want to play the support mech card for the large head hitbox, shouldn't all support mechs have equally as large a head hit box.

WHOA THERE! SLOW DOWN LIL CTHULHU! THERE'S NO ROOM FOR RATIONAL THOUGHT HERE ON THE INTERWEBS AND ESPECIALLY NOT HERE ON THE MWO FORUMS!

I realize blah blah mech quirks blah blah ******** but there is no reason that some 40 point alpha strumpet should be able to take a mech out in one shot from 8xx meters.

Edited by Lil Cthulhu, 14 June 2013 - 08:55 AM.

25 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users