Ask The Devs 40 - Answered!

659 replies to this topic

#61 AgroAlba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 365 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

Great ATD! Things sound good! I'm excited. :)

#62 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

View PostOvenRude, on 14 June 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

LOL releases player data on the regular. Hawken being in or out of Beta is irrelivent. And those are just the FTP games that I play, I'm sure there are huge amounts of F2P games that release player data. But out of every F2P game I personally play, you can either check player count from in game, or the publisher releases player count data.

Releasing player data is also standard practice. It is not the same as a player counter. Developers can choose whenever they want to release player count data and i'm sure PGI will do so at some point.

1.) Hawken is in beta Back in beta MWO had a counter as well.
2.) Hawken is in beta it is not succesful. Its not even on the table for a success since its in beta

What you want a MWO counter so you can compare with Hawken or something?

Edited by Tennex, 14 June 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#63 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

So far 7 likes on the OP, this is a continued trend, I wonder when we'll hit 0?

View PostDocBach, on 14 June 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

Remember the days when an ask the devs would come out and it would be 50 pages in minutes?

I remember loving this game, actually I still do. I told my co-worker today (and Monday),

"I REALLY want to get home and play some mech! But I know it won't be any fun."

View PostGenewen, on 14 June 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

Very disappointed about you trying to marginalize 1PV as hardcore sim-nerd mode.

Yeah I have to agree with this.

Anyone else thinks its funny they think 3rd person will have more people in it? When people who expected 1st person only gave $5 million dollars? I suspect most of these players have already left and now we're looking for more suckers to give money.

#64 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

Wow.

#65 Scarcer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostGrimlockONE, on 14 June 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Posted Image

We are getting closer and closer to that reality than to...

Posted Image

Wait what?

We are losing first person view?

We aren't getting the 3rd person view features like we had since MechWarrior 2?

We are downgrading to MechWarrior 3 graphics & choppy animations vs MechAssaults (if not an entirely step up from)?

We won't have any chassi variants?

We wont have a any thermal/night vision?

We wont have any start-up animation or bitchin'betty?

We are getting item/pickups/boots?

No target locks?

A really ******* nice community/chat platform?

A game that actually gives you a feel of how large the machines are?

360* torso twist and instant leg spinning around/running where ever I want?

Oh boy I'm confused.

#66 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 14 June 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

I don't understand why you are disappointed about:
  • 3PV being excluded from Mercenary Warfare
  • Additional Info added to Item Descriptions in UI 2
  • The fact that Lone Wolves will have their own Meta Game rewards, without having to swear loyalty a Faction
  • The fact that a Large Mercenary Corp won't automatically be able to steamroll through the IS
  • They plan on making manufacturer-specific weapon tweaks
  • More significant bases to capture
  • Base defenses
  • Introduction of Tonnage Limits for certain gametypes
  • Headshot notifications
  • Adding the ability to see friendly loadouts
  • Reduction of JJ Screen Shake to more acceptable levels
  • Added Training Grounds functionalities
  • and more upcoming changes with tournaments, Drop Modes, and info on the Test Server
I mean, if everything I just listed above causes you disappointment, then I am very sorry...

First I must say your outline of the highlights is great and I would like you to do this with all Dev posts - thank you! The outline does present many great features however they only become valuable when/if hit detection is resolved, the terrible heat 'balance' debacle presented is not implemented, matchmaker is more immediately refined, weapons balanced more logically etc...
Honestly, after a while, hearing about the great features being implemented while important gameplay elements are (seemingly) neglected is disheartening. Nobody should be discouraged by the promise of the features listed but its a matter of will the game be fully viable to maximize those features.

#67 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostLogicalTightRope, on 14 June 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

Why are you making the assumption that most people will want to play 3PV, considering the community's reaction to 3PV? I can understand wanting to test it out as a separate gamemode, but you have absolutely no grounds on which to claim that 3PV will be dominant.

Because it's a PVP game, and it makes no sense to gimp yourself. So whether we want it or not, people will play third person more than first, then they'll demand they have access to community warfare, too.

RIP, MWO. You had a hard life.

#68 CutterWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 658 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

Well thanks for comfirming that MWO has now entered its final death sprial. You guys should write a book on "how to kill a 27 year franchise in less than 2 years" so that no one will ever make the huge mistakes you have. So very sad indeed...............

#69 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

In closed beta I was one of many voices that screamed bloody murder every so often when changes were made.

Either I've gotten older, accepted the inevitable or PGI is doing something right because I'm playing more than I ever did in the past. The most I can do is voice my support, comment on what I think should be improved and wait and see what happens.

Someone posted something about manufacture specific weapon tweaks. Yes please! I want to be in a
Robinson Standard BattleWorks' Atlas with a Luxor Devastator-20 AC/20, etc. It will add flavor to the game without creating balancing issues.

#70 GrimlockONE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

View PostTennex, on 14 June 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Releasing player data is also standard practice. It is not the same as a player counter. Developers can choose whenever they want to release player count data and i'm sure PGI will do so at some point.

1.) Hawken is in beta Back in beta MWO had a counter as well.
2.) Hawken is in beta it is not succesful. Its not even on the table for a success since its in beta

What you want a MWO counter so you can compare with Hawken or something?

you do see the giant BETA under MechWarriorOnline right? It is in the same boat as Hawken yet light years behind.

#71 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostScarcer, on 14 June 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

Wait what?

We are losing first person view?

We aren't getting the 3rd person view features like we had since MechWarrior 2?

We are downgrading to MechWarrior 3 graphics & choppy animations vs MechAssaults (if not an entirely step up from)?

We won't have any chassi variants?

We wont have a any thermal/night vision?

We wont have any start-up animation or bitchin'betty?

We are getting item/pickups/boots?

No target locks?

A really ******* nice community/chat platform?

A game that actually gives you a feel of how large the machines are?

360* torso twist and instant leg spinning around/running where ever I want?

Oh boy I'm confused.

that was a bit of a hyperbole.

i think he means this

Posted Image

#72 Scarcer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

View PostGrimlockONE, on 14 June 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

you do see the giant BETA under MechWarriorOnline right? It is in the same boat as Hawken yet light years behind.

If I must add:

Hawken is on a different engine, is far less technical; and there for is less work for the programmers to build, and far less work for model artists.

I fail to see any correlation.

View PostTennex, on 14 June 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

i think he means this

Posted Image

Indeed that makes more sense.

Then again, more people used 3rd person because FPV was as ugly as possible. How ever the animations were amazing.

FASA Studios did a few things right and wrong.

Edited by Scarcer, 14 June 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#73 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostScarcer, on 14 June 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

How ever the animations were amazing.

FASA Studios did a few things right and wrong.

Every animator in MWO should be required to play MW4. Doesn't make sense for MWO to have worse animations than MW4 (especially light mechs) those are backward steps.

FASA made a fun game. I think MWO is sticking closer to its roots than either MW3 or MW4 and they've done a good job so far.

In light of their faithfulness to TT in other areas, theres no reason to make steep slope arguments about this game ending like mechassault just because of 3rd person.

#74 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostTennex, on 14 June 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

i think he means this

Posted Image

I can't even look at that picture without hearing ***** music in my head. Big mustaches are the only element missing, otherwise this looks like a 70's VHS ***** cover.
**adult movie

Edited by BlackBeltJones, 14 June 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#75 GrimlockONE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostScarcer, on 14 June 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

If I must add:

Hawken is on a different engine, is far less technical; and there for is less work for the programmers to build, and far less work for model artists.

I fail to see any correlation.

I will give you Hawken has a more developer friendly engine, but MWO and PGI could have easily chosen Unreal but instead opted to heavily modify, a hard to code CryEngine. I will also agree that Hawken has less systems to balance for, part of the reason it has balance more so than MWO.

Other than that it is comparable that it is F2P and showing more refinement and greater polish than this **** being developed by PGI. I love MechWarrior and still find the game somewhat fun. However, I am not blinded by fanboyism or loyalty to not see that PGI has bitten off a bit more than it could chew. Remember that they made the bed their sleeping in. I will not show sympathy toward them for choosing a engine that is naturally hard to modify, especially switching from client to server side.

Edited by GrimlockONE, 14 June 2013 - 07:31 PM.

#76 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostBlackBeltJones, on 14 June 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

I can't even look at that picture without hearing ***** music in my head. Big mustaches are the only element missing, otherwise this looks like a 70's VHS ***** cover.
**adult movie

Posted Image

you're welcome

#77 Braggart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

Sadly PGI has already gotten money from me. Never again though.

Enjoy mech assault. Im gonna move on to other games.

Their entire original commitment to making a Simulation styled game has been a complete and total lie. Stealing who knows how much money from the community to fuel their lies and promises.

Quite frankly, I want to call out PGI for beating a piece of crap company. Ban me, I dont freaking care at this point. You have nothing in common with the average gamer. YOU SEE MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY. You could have had mine, but well quite honestly, you lied, from the start, lie after lie after lie. Maybe it will work out for you, maybe it wont. I hope it doesnt. I hope all the lies add up, and you fail, fail so freaking hard.

IF any of you idiots think that ANYTHING that PGI says is even close to the truth, you have another thing coming. They have done nothing but lie. If you think for 1 moment that 3rd person isnt a huge advantage, you are an *****. Even the idea that 3rd person gets to be normal, and first person hardcore is an insult. ******* PGI!!!!

Edited by Braggart, 14 June 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#78 Scarcer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostGrimlockONE, on 14 June 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Also I must note:

Hawken Forums:
122 Users Online [15 Minutes]

MWO Forums:
915 Users Online [30 Minutes]

While I had some fun moments in Hakwen, I'm disappointed with the theme it's developed after watching the teasers; it's not my cup of tea.

But understand that they are working hard on their product as well and don't deserve some bashing. But address that PGI has no obligation to show those statistics unless you became an investor or something. But if you're trying to compare the two; obviously MWO is more popular.

To be fair, neither game has any real promotional campaign.

#79 Lonestar1771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

ITT: Nothing useful or exciting

View PostScarcer, on 14 June 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

Also I must note:

Hawken Forums:
122 Users Online [15 Minutes]

MWO Forums:
915 Users Online [30 Minutes]

While I had some fun moments in Hakwen, I'm disappointed with the theme it's developed after watching the teasers; it's not my cup of tea.

But understand that they are working hard on their product as well and don't deserve some bashing. But address that PGI has no obligation to show those statistics unless you became an investor or something. But if you're trying to compare the two; obviously MWO is more popular.

To be fair, neither game has any real promotional campaign.

I might add:

I visit the forums but don't play the game, like a lot of people, because the meta here is waaay more engaging than the steaming heap that is MWO.

#80 Scarcer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostBraggart, on 14 June 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

Sadly PGI has already gotten money from me. Never again though.

Enjoy mech assault. Im gonna move on to other games.

Their entire original commitment to making a Simulation styled game has been a complete and total lie. Stealing who knows how much money from the community to fuel their lies and promises.

Quite frankly, I want to call out PGI for beating a piece of crap company. Ban me, I dont freaking care at this point. You have nothing in common with the average gamer. YOU SEE MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY. You could have had mine, but well quite honestly, you lied, from the start, lie after lie after lie. Maybe it will work out for you, maybe it wont. I hope it doesnt. I hope all the lies add up, and you fail, fail so freaking hard.

See you in a couple weeks. Trust me, you're just having trouble accepting changes that might not effect you while you have pre-assumtions about the entire thing.

You'll see that nothing has really changed from the core experience, your 1st Person View will still be here, and that the game is better than ever with the combination of new features.

Just a heads up;
Calling your bluff.

View PostLonestar1771, on 14 June 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

ITT: Nothing useful or exciting

I might add:

I visit the forums but don't play the game, like a lot of people, because the meta here is waaay more engaging than the steaming heap that is MWO.

On the contrary I visit the forums as often as I play;
And I totally represent the rest of the communities demographic and all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users